Josh Jones wants out of Green Bay.....

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What's 'weak' about it? You have a problem, you deal with it.
Do you think he beats out Savage or Amos, especially with the capital they spent on them? Do you think 'work harder and keep a stiff upper lip' will change any thing? Best to talk to the high mucky mucks and see where you stand.

So its best for any player that isn't happy that they aren't a starter just to quit on their team? This seriously reminds me of the quintessential little boy at the playground that takes his ball and goes home.

Face it Josh, you aren't a starter, probably for any team. Put on your big boy pants and go in there and try to win a backup role and be a contributor on special teams.

Participation trophies got this mess rolling way back when....IMO.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packer should wait until the start of training camp and put him on the did not report list. I don't believe they would be able to receive a draft pick in return for a quitter who struggled for his first two seasons in the league.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My son is a math/drama teacher and his mantra, that he shares with every kid he's in contact with, is: "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard". Sad that Jones never listened to such words... :(

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we all could argue for and against his actions to not report to OTAs. Personally, I think he should have reported and requested a trade, that way he can still get better with the team he's with now and hope for a better situation with a new team moving forward. If he would have shown some improvement over Training Camp/Preseason, a potential suitor might come calling.

The silver lining is this, a DB on the 90 man most likely is all but guaranteed a spot on the 53, it's a surefire open competition. Let's enjoy the show.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh may not have been a starter, but with the amount of nickel and dime we play, he could easily have played himself on to the field for a good amount of snaps and made himself better for his next contract, team, opportunity. He's choosing to quit instead. Good luck staying in the league with that mentality.

This.

At the first instance of things not going his way, he quits. Such fairweather players are a luxury and we can do better.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, as I've stated twice already, it's not how I would have handled things. However, to my point, does anyone here actually believe that he's going to be given an even, straight up chance to beat out Savage or Amos?

D

Deleted member 6794

Personally, I think he should have reported and requested a trade, that way he can still get better with the team he's with now and hope for a better situation with a new team moving forward.

Personally I think Jones should have reported to OTAs and worked his *** off to improve.

The Packers most likely won't get anything in return for him. With that being said I don't see any need to release him but have him enjoy being put on the did not report list while not getting paid.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, as I've stated twice already, it's not how I would have handled things. However, to my point, does anyone here actually believe that he's going to be given an even, straight up chance to beat out Savage or Amos?
Safety has been bad/horrible the last 2 years and Jones did nothing to seize playing time or give the NFL-world a glimmer of hope that he can play the position. Gute NEEDED to spend FA & draft capital to man the position... why should Jones be given the chance to beat-out Amos or Savage when he didn't/couldn't claim the spot BEFORE they arrived?

D

Deleted member 6794

Most likely Jones wouldn't have been able to move past Amos or Savage on the depth chart. He was a single injury to either of them away from starting though.

The quitter wanted to receive playing time based on being a second round pick more than two years ago though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't have any respect for this tactic, but I can understand Jones' frustration. He was a pick of the previous regime and has been replaced before he really had a chance to prove whether he can/can't produce. The safety spots have been filled. The dime linebacker is probably going to be Burks. So he's essentially a backup and special teamer.

Again, I don't respect the reaction to the circumstances, but I understand the frustration. The reality is that when you were a pick of the previous GM, you don't get a fair shake.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't have any respect for this tactic, but I can understand Jones' frustration. He was a pick of the previous regime and has been replaced before he really had a chance to prove whether he can/can't produce. The safety spots have been filled. The dime linebacker is probably going to be Burks. So he's essentially a backup and special teamer.

Again, I don't respect the reaction to the circumstances, but I understand the frustration. The reality is that when you were a pick of the previous GM, you don't get a fair shake.

Jones played a total of 1,236 snaps on defense over the past two seasons. That should have been enough to have a chance of convincing the front office that they didn't have to go out and sign a free agent as well as use a first rounder on the safety position.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safety has been bad/horrible the last 2 years and Jones did nothing to seize playing time or give the NFL-world a glimmer of hope that he can play the position. Gute NEEDED to spend FA & draft capital to man the position... why should Jones be given the chance to beat-out Amos or Savage when he didn't/couldn't claim the spot BEFORE they arrived?

If so, why shouldn't he ask for a trade?

felix145

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he could get his snaps at ILB, so this is really bad for our depth at this position. I don't want to go into the season with Blake, Burks, Crawford and Summers.

Are there any good free agents available?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think I have talked of this with you b4. Certainly in the MM era they automatically gave their draft picks a better and perhaps the only shot at playing. I am hopeful that we have changed our ways. At least Gute says we have. It is really self defeating not to play the best player.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy the bad for depth argument.

Jones couldn't beat out Brice at SS.

Jones couldn't beat out Whitehead for the Dime LB spot.

He's an incredible athlete who seems to struggle with the mental part of the game.

My incredibly smart brother in law said that Jones right now is basically just a good ST's player. Pettine clearly doesn't trust him on the field.

I don't know if I'd trade him though. Make him report, or fine him, and then cut him at the end of camp. Sends a message to the rest of the roster too.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If so, why shouldn't he ask for a trade?
NOT publicly... the most Gute will get for him now is a bottle of gatorade (1 liter) and a bag of chips. Just glad he's not at OTA's risking getting hurt, GB can still save $545k with him gone.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NOT publicly... the most Gute will get for him now is a bottle of gatorade (1 liter) and a bag of chips. Just glad he's not at OTA's risking getting hurt, GB can still save $545k with him gone.

Heh, I don't know if they could even have gotten that.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too ******* him about it. The team basically gave him a no confidence vote when they added Amos and Savage.
Get what you can and move on. I don't believe he'll ever pan out, because his main problem is the same as college; from the neck up. Slow to learn and read, no instincts. Great physical specimen, but not a football player.
So what were the Packers supposed to do? Not try and improve a position of weakness because Jones's feelings will get hurt?

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well, if we've learned anything so far in the Gutekunst era, he isn't going to tolerate this BS. Jones will be handled accordingly. Gonna walk out the door with the likes of HaHa and Ty.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a dumb move to begin with, he has no leverage, he is a guy just trying to stay on the roster much less start. What team wants a guy who was drafted high and underachieved, then sits out wanting to be traded? It would be much more effective to work his butt off and leave in a year or so showing what your made of.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, Jones has seen the writing on the wall and has decided not to bang his head against said wall.
Without knowing all the details of what and how things got to this point, I would have requested a meeting with Gute and Pettine. I would have said that since it is obvious I'm not in your plans at safety, could you make my full-time job inside linebacker and let me compete there?
PkrJones however. Never go public with the dirty laundry.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This is turning into another stellar draft class from TT! After only 2 years:

• Round 2, (#33): CB Kevin King, Washington
  • Round 2, (#61): S Josh Jones, NC State
  • Round 3, (#93): DT Montravius Adams, Auburn
  • Round 4,(#108): OLB Vince Biegel, Wisconsin
  • Round 4,(#134): RB Jamaal Williams, BYU
  • Round 5,(#175): WR DeAngelo Yancey, Purdue
  • Round 5,(#182): RB Aaron Jones, UTEP
  • Round 6,(#212): OL Kofi Amichia, USF
  • Round 7,(#238): RB Devante Mays, Utah State
  • Round 7,(#247): WR Malachi Dupre, LSU

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jones played a total of 1,236 snaps on defense over the past two seasons. That should have been enough to have a chance of convincing the front office that they didn't have to go out and sign a free agent as well as use a first rounder on the safety position.

I think I have talked of this with you b4. Certainly in the MM era they automatically gave their draft picks a better and perhaps the only shot at playing. I am hopeful that we have changed our ways. At least Gute says we have. It is really self defeating not to play the best player.

When regimes change, it's only natural that the new FO will give more opportunity leeway to their own picks and less to the previous ones.