Josh Jones wants out of Green Bay.....

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All this build up....for nothing.

So let's say he never asked for a trade, still released or just on the bench?

Also, that leaves only 3 players left out of the 10 selected in Ted Thompson's final draft class in 2017(King, Adams, Jones) - What a bust.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His attitude sucked so released. Shut up and get to work? probably a back up playing quite a few snaps in every game and special teams to work his way up if he was any good.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good thing Aaron Jones and Mo Adams came out of that draft, otherwise I think we might already be looking at 2017 as another TT draft failure.

Unless Jones rushes for 1100 yds and 12 TDs and King plays in all 16 games in 2019 this Draft is already a failure.

Those stat lines I just posted only leaves it up to a debate. But if you can't hit on I'd say 40% of your selections year in and year out it's not gonna pan out well for you.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unless Jones rushes for 1100 yds and 12 TDs and King plays in all 16 games in 2019 this Draft is already a failure.

Those stat lines I just posted only leaves it up to a debate. But if you can't hit on I'd say 40% of your selections year in and year out it's not gonna pan out well for you.

I was being a bit cheeky about it and I would agree with you, especially a draft class that is entering just their 3rd year.

I do think Jones was a great pick late in the 5th round, Adams has been showing good potential and well King.....even if he gets healthy, he still has to prove he can stay healthy and be great, we won't even talk about opting out of drafting TJ Watt for King and Biegel.

H

HardRightEdge

So let's say he never asked for a trade, still released or just on the bench?
That's like asking what would have happened if he had a different personality with a different reaction to being demoted. His motivation, his handling by the coaches, his opportunities and his treatment by teammates would have been different if he kept his mouth shut. No telling what would have happened.

That said, in comparing his past performance to the current performance of other players, I'd say he would have been behind Greene and Campbell except for the injuries and cut anyway.

With the injuries and if he hadn't poisoned the water, there's a good chance he would have made the roster. Campbell looks like won't start the season given he hasn't been practicing, maybe PUP. With Burks out, it looks like Greene will be occupied at ILB in the hybrid role. That could be a lot of snaps. Williams is probably the backup FS even if he starts at nickel or perimeter corner.

When Hyde was around playing slot corner, the Packers carried 3 safeties to start out with Hyde able to switch to safety in a pinch. As injuries would have, Hyde played a fair amount at safety. Hyde's ability to swing postions saved a a game day roster spot. Today, the starters + Greene + Williams as swingman is a similar situation. The problem is if Greene is already slated as a semi-starter at hybrid with Burks out, I believe that is the case. So, the Packers do need another safety with Cambell out. It might have been Jones under these circumstances.

That leaves Redmond, Matthews, Jamerson and Tyson on the current roster or a waiver or street pickup.

The only question in my mind is what took so long to shed Jones. Gutekunst, et. al., must have know quite a while ago that he had no trade value. All I can think of as to why he lasted this long is they wanted to be sure they had replacements who could play better than a disappointing and disgruntled Jones. Given that low bar, I still don't get it. It's possible they kept him in purgatory to send a message to other players and their agents, current and future, not to leak demands to the press. Personally, I'd would rather the air gets cleared out in the position room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
This is just the best outcome. We can't afford distractions, especially when they don't even produce. Let's not waste a roster spot on a guy who doesn't even want to play in GB.
We have too many other talented men who want a shot at a career, than to be entertaining a boy who lacks virtue. One day he'll grow up, I just don't want us to suffer in the meantime

H

HardRightEdge

So, who's the last safety to make the roster if Campbell can't go? I haven't paid much attention to those guys.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside from Savage, Amos, Greene, and Campbell. I can't really see anyone else making the roster. I can't see why Greene can't fill in for both while Campbell is out. Maybe Tyson but I'm not really high on him. I'd wait for cuts first.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So, who's the last safety to make the roster if Campbell can't go? I haven't paid much attention to those guys.

Could be any of Jamerson, Redmond, Tyson or Matthews. Or they find a FA now or wait until cut downs. Redmond or Tyson would be my choice, but they aren't that great either and both listed as SS and Jones was more of a FS. Travon Williams might be seeing more playing time again at S.

One part of the Josh Jones mystery that I don't quite understand, it was pretty obvious that his time was done here and Gute has been shopping him. It was also rumored that he wasn't playing in preseason, to avoid getting injured, so his market value wasn't damaged. All that said, if Gute isn't finding any interest in him, what is the harm of playing him in the game against the Raiders and the one coming up against the Chiefs. If he plays well, possibly a trade happens and you recover a little value for the poor investment. He sucks or gets hurt, same result as today. The only thing I can think of is Gute wanted to make sure that other players got the message; "You grumble about being here, you don't play, not even in the preseason". Also, call me spiteful, but I wouldn't have done the guy any favors by releasing him now, I would have waited until the massive body pile up, that will take place on 8/31.

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Aside from Savage, Amos, Greene, and Campbell. I can't really see anyone else making the roster. I can't see why Greene can't fill in for both while Campbell is out. Maybe Tyson but I'm not really high on him. I'd wait for cuts first.
What if Campbell ends up on PUP, Greene is taking a lot of snaps at ILB with Burks out, and Williams is starting at nickel corner or even the perimeter? I consider all those factors more likely than not. That means another safety needs to be added.

It's a little game we play. We're nearly at the point where we have all the needed inputs. I guess we'll see who is first off the bench on Thursday. Now that LaFleur doesn't want to talk about injuries anymore the guessing gets harder. :unsure: It's not high on the priority of concerns, but those bottom 5 roster spots, is a question for the moment.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What if Campbell ends up on PUP, Greene is taking a lot of snaps at ILB with Burks out, and Williams is starting at nickel corner or even the perimeter? I consider all those factors more likely than not. That means another safety needs to be added.

It's a little game we play. We're nearly at the point where we have all the needed inputs. I guess we'll see who is first off the bench on Thursday. Now that LaFleur doesn't want to talk about injuries anymore the guessing gets harder. :unsure: It's not high on the priority of concerns, but those bottom 5 roster spots, is a question for the moment.

I think you are going to see at least 2 if not 3 new players being brought into GB over the next week. This could include, but not exclusive to a RB, ILB and S.

Just how good those players are perceived to be, will be a good indicator to just how desperate the Packers are at improving the said position.

I would prioritize our needs right now as:
  1. ILB- A starter
  2. RB - Solid #3
  3. S - Solid #4
I'm a bit put off that ILB wasn't addressed with more urgency during Free Agency and the draft. To expect Burks to be a solid starter at the position was a pipe dream in my opinion and now with him injured, they barely have a pot to **** in.

H

HardRightEdge

One part of the Josh Jones mystery that I don't quite understand, it was pretty obvious that his time was done here and Gute has been shopping him. It was also rumored that he wasn't playing in preseason, to avoid getting injured, so his market value wasn't damaged. All that said, if Gute isn't finding any interest in him, what is the harm of playing him in the game against the Raiders and the one coming up against the Chiefs. If he plays well, possibly a trade happens and you recover a little value for the poor investment.
I share your lack of understanding on that point. That might be because that story is wrong.

By the time preseason started Gutekunst must have known Jones didn't have trade value. Why not play him to see if he could show something on the field to generate some interest, even a conditional 7th. rounder?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't disagree with you that someone else isn't needed, I just don't think that person is currently on this 90(88) man roster. I think said person should be acquired from elsewhere.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I share your lack of understanding on that point. That might be because that story is wrong.

By the time preseason started Gutekunst must have known Jones didn't have trade value. Why not play him to see if he could show something on the field to generate some interest, even a conditional 7th. rounder?

Right and like I said, the only reason I could see for not Playing Jones (besides injury) was to try to entice a trade, was that the Packers were trying to send a clear message to the other 89 players "Don't be a Josh Jones". But IMO, they didn't fully finish that message by cutting him today, he should have been the last name given to the league office on 8/31, one second before the deadline.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Teaching a lesson is one, but being vindictive is another.

Not sure how that is being vindictive on the Packers part. Jones was the one demanding a trade while under contract. Why should the Packers cave to him? Cutting him a week before the deadline is nothing short of giving into his demands IMO. Is it vindictive for the Packers to cut other players on 8/31? I'm guessing that Gute exhausted all possible trade possibilities and possibly got the sense that Jones hanging around, doing or saying whatever he was for another week, wasn't worth finishing the full message.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We really don't know what Jones was doing as we never heard anything from him officially. I can subscribe to Gute finding trade value for him, but in the last week of the Preseason when teams know that if they just wait 3-4 more days players will be cut his value became zero. Once that occurred, he was gone. Even had Gute found a trade partner, saying he "caved" to the player is a "glass half-empty" perspective. Making said trade would have been in the best interest of the team, which is what Gute is paid to do.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We really don't know what Jones was doing as we never heard anything from him officially. I can subscribe to Gute finding trade value for him, but in the last week of the Preseason when teams know that if they just wait 3-4 more days players will be cut his value became zero. Once that occurred, he was gone. Even had Gute found a trade partner, saying he "caved" to the player is a "glass half-empty" perspective. Making said trade would have been in the best interest of the team, which is what Gute is paid to do.

Right, but how was what I was saying " being vindictive", the Packers waiting to cut him on 8/31? Sorry, but Jones was public about not wanting to play in Green Bay anymore and his reason, he felt slighted due to the signing of Amos and drafting of Savage. Put on your big boy pants, **** and compete for a job just like the other 1696 players on final 53 man rosters do. Call it vindictive, but its a business and the last thing a GM wants to have happen are players like this being able to dictate their futures in that way.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forgive me but I just don't believe that teams "stick it" to their players, despite what they've done to them; and let's be honest, Jones didn't(and couldn't) do much.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Forgive me but I just don't believe that teams "stick it" to their players, despite what they've done to them; and let's be honest, Jones didn't(and couldn't) do much.

You are seeing this as a team "sticking it to Jones", I am seeing it as a team defining boundaries for players and their future conduct. You sign a contract, you live up to it and if you really are unhappy and want to be traded out of it, take that up privately with management. Possibly Jones did, but all I heard was that he was unhappy about lack of playing time last season, Savage and Amos being brought in and his response, was not showing up for OTA's and publicly saying he wanted out.

Members online

Latest posts