Josh Jones wants out of Green Bay.....

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been reading nothing but good things about Jones. They have him working at safety and linebacker.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been reading nothing but good things about Jones. They have him working at safety and linebacker.
Hopefully it was nothing more than a momentary lapse in maturity stemming from frustration this spring and he's decided that working and getting better was his best option for everyone. The kid has talent, but has a long ways to go before he's good.

I could see them using him to blitz and make "splash" plays to get noticed a lot this preseason if they really are still trying to find a trade partner.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I hope it was only a momentary lapse of good judgement on Jones's part, but it is still a red flag in my mind, especially when it comes down to the final cut down. I wouldn't give him a spot on the final 53 if I even thought for a moment that his pouty attitude shows up during the season. The "good" news for the Packers, his dead cap for the next 2 seasons is under $1M, so if they decide he isn't worth keeping around, it won't be a big $$ hit.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Contrary to what he thinks, Jones isn't a standout that has been unfairly squandered in Green Bay. He is a raw talent that needs to stay focused and fix his weaknesses before he can be trusted on the field. If the guy wants out of Green Bay, then ole. He better play his butt off to get that big contract because at the moment he will just bounce around to the bottom of another team's roster.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
@RobDemovsky

First scuffle of camp starts between RB Tra Carson, who tried to run over S Josh Jones, who didn't like it. Aaron Rodgers player peacemaker.
  • Looks Josh Jones got yanked out of practice after that scuffle. Coach Matt LaFleur wasn't happy with Jones and now he has yet to return to the field in the next team period.
I stand by the statement I made a few hours ago. :coffee:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Contrary to what he thinks, Jones isn't a standout that has been unfairly squandered in Green Bay. He is a raw talent that needs to stay focused and fix his weaknesses before he can be trusted on the field. If the guy wants out of Green Bay, then ole. He better play his butt off to get that big contract because at the moment he will just bounce around to the bottom of another team's roster.
He has a lot to prove for a guy who wants to be traded. Based on what production? He seems immature and/or has a really bad agent. And you’re right, he has 4 weeks to prove himself as other than a backup.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you don’t like getting run over, make sure you’re the one doing the running over part

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If you don’t like getting run over, make sure you’re the one doing the running over part

This might be a RB taking revenge and having his fellow RB's backs. Evidently, Jones steamrolled Rookie Dexter "Juice" Williams yesterday. I don't mind a bit of fire and grit, will see how MLF interrupts it though.

EDIT: Well now I read that it wasn't RB Tra Carson Rolling over Jones, it was Jones hitting after the whistle that set it all off.

According to multiple reports from Packers practice, Jones hit running back Tra Carson after the whistle and a scuffle between the two players ensued.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@RobDemovsky

First scuffle of camp starts between RB Tra Carson, who tried to run over S Josh Jones, who didn't like it. Aaron Rodgers player peacemaker.
  • Looks Josh Jones got yanked out of practice after that scuffle. Coach Matt LaFleur wasn't happy with Jones and now he has yet to return to the field in the next team period.
maybe i misunderstood but MLF made it sound like jones instigated it by trying to tackle him. MLF wants no tackling...no one on the ground...yet. if true it sounds like jones is doing damnedest to get cut.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Jones could control his mouth and harness his fire...dude has the raw skillset to be a tool in a crafty belt of options....however his attitude is not one that does good things for a team...

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@RobDemovsky

That's a way to get noticed, but not the right way. He's starting to remind me of D. Randall.

Reaction score
I could care less about a minor scuffle in many cases. But Josh Jones either majorly lacks discipline (that’s code for he’s still a child) or he lacks being respectful to this organization (that’s code for he’s a jerk) Either way he’s willingly or unwillingly forcing the issue of his departure, but forcing the issue he certainly is.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think its sweet.... Bring the attitude. Get in scraps. Level everyone you see. Harness your inner Cam chancellor Jones..... If Green bay doesn't like it, I'm sure some other defensive minded team will appreciate it.

Smash everyone as hard as the rules will allow..... Imo.

Reaction score
If Green bay doesn't like it, I'm sure some other defensive minded team will appreciate it.
I doubt that. I seriously don’t think many teams want a problem child. He’s treading on thin ice and I don’t believe he’s some highly desired commodity throughout the league.

I wish you were right. I’d trade him for another player on their rookie contract or a future draft pick

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a young player who has been played out of his preferred position. And now replaced before he gets a fair chance....

I think his size and speed at safety would have a impact on opposing wrs. Let him unload on a few guys .And the league wrs will be hearing footsteps in their sleep imo.

Let him take that anger out on the field. Quit trying to snip his nuts off.
Imo.

This is how players like hayward end up leaving. We paint a ****** picture, and they prove is wrong with the right opportunity.

Jones is 6'2" 220 and ripped. Runs a 4.41, 132" broad jump. 37.5" verticle , 20 reps..... He should be at safety. And he should be unloading on guys with that LB frame. Imho.

Reaction score
I see a young player who has been played out of his preferred position. And now replaced before he gets a fair chance....

I think his size and speed at safety would have a impact on opposing wrs. Let him unload on a few guys .And the league wrs will be hearing footsteps in their sleep imo.

Let him take that anger out on the field. Quit trying to snip his nuts off.
Imo.

This is how players like hayward end up leaving. We paint a ****** picture, and they prove is wrong with the right opportunity.

Jones is 6'2" 220 and ripped. Runs a 4.41, 132" broad jump. 37.5" verticle , 20 reps..... He should be at safety. And he should be unloading on guys with that LB frame. Imho.
Well you are right about one thing. he’s very athletic. But he plays more of a LB mold, but a smaller version.

Hayward is a terrible example. He was All Rookie team alongside Janoris Jenkins for gosh sakes! What had Josh accomplished in comparison?? ZERO.
Josh Jones would struggle to get a rookie of a preseason game, much less a yearly award.

As far as position? I disagree with your assertion. I think he’s more the mold of a Nickel LB. He’s a downhill rough and tumble kinda player. Good tackler (even if it is strictly prohibited ;)) Put him in too much space and he’s a detriment, slow to read and react, which is the exact opposite of a productive Safety. Could be adequate at full press and physical inside 5 yards to disrupt timing or the route, then just fast and physically gifted (and stubborn) enough to overcome his lack of instinct and hang and harass. He does good when he has a limited, clear cut defined role (such as spying a QB) The more responsibility he has? the farther he drifts from his comfort zone.
He performs better the closer to the LOS and worse the farther away. I believe Pettine finally came to terms with this, hence the position change. I also believe Mike was reluctant to switch him in the past out of need at S and Josh being undersized at ILB.

If he doesn’t get put out to pasture first, we would be wise to continue on his current path, have him add 10+ pounds and let him punish players (and himself) out of the backfield. He likes to hit, accommodate him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think its sweet.... Bring the attitude. Get in scraps. Level everyone you see. Harness your inner Cam chancellor Jones..... If Green bay doesn't like it, I'm sure some other defensive minded team will appreciate it.

Smash everyone as hard as the rules will allow..... Imo.

While that sounds good, what will you say when guys start going down in practice with major injuries? Not to mention when one player is expecting "no contact" and the other player brings on "full contact", you are setting yourself up for all sorts of issues with injuries and attitudes.

I guarantee you if Josh Jones or pretty much anyone else lays #12 out in practice, they might find themselves on an airplane the next day.

I get people wanting players to play aggressively all out and with attitude, but the practice field isn't the place for it.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The CBA is what it is. They’re only allowed so many contact practices. The debate about should there be more or less is another matter, but the situation is one where they can only have so much.

So, if you’re in a non contact period, it’s probably best that everyone is on the same page. And when it’s time to crack the pads, crack ‘em

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The CBA is what it is. They’re only allowed so many contact practices. The debate about should there be more or less is another matter, but the situation is one where they can only have so much.

So, if you’re in a non contact period, it’s probably best that everyone is on the same page. And when it’s time to crack the pads, crack ‘em
MLF doesn't want guys going to the ground even when they're in pads. i'll bet that goes for tonight too.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts