Josh Jones wants out of Green Bay.....

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm well aware that you would like the Packers to have four dominant players on the defensive line but as that is being unrealistic I'm fine with the talent level at the position at this point.

See:
Browns
Seahawks
Cowboys
Broncos
Eagles

Just my opinion.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like Jones could be setting a precedent. Duke Johnson requested a trade today. However, I feel his is definitely more justified. Johnson is a starting RB if you ask me, and he deserves to go to a team to fill that bell cow role. With OBJ, Landry, Chubb, and now Hunt in the mix, there's just not enough balls to go around.

Browns got rid of Peppers in the OBJ trade, maybe trade Jones for Johnson? Duke Johnson and Aaron Jones as a 1-2 punch sounds exciting to me. If/when Jones goes down both Williams are waiting in the wings for reps.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Browns got rid of Peppers in the OBJ trade, maybe trade Jones for Johnson? Duke Johnson and Aaron Jones as a 1-2 punch sounds exciting to me. If/when Jones goes down both Williams are waiting in the wings for reps.
I like this trade idea better than the Solomon Thomas one. Duke Johnson gets $2.3Mil in '19 and $4.1Mil in 2020 for being on the roster so salary cap would be only reason for not being in favor of this, IMHO.

Cleveland's safeties include Morgan Burnett, Jermaine Whitehead and Damarious Randall... think they need another former Packer? ;)

D

Deleted member 6794

See:
Browns
Seahawks
Cowboys
Broncos
Eagles

Just my opinion.

None of those teams feature four dominant defensive linemen either.

Looks like Jones could be setting a precedent. Duke Johnson requested a trade today. However, I feel his is definitely more justified. Johnson is a starting RB if you ask me, and he deserves to go to a team to fill that bell cow role. With OBJ, Landry, Chubb, and now Hunt in the mix, there's just not enough balls to go around.

Duke Johnson would offer a very good pass catching running back. I highly doubt the Browns would be interested in trading him for Jones though.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Josh Jones is in Green Bay, but looks like he won't be participating, at least today.

@RobDemovsky
Packers S Josh Jones is here for minicamp after skipping most of the OTAs. Doesn’t appear he’ll be participating though.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josh Jones is in Green Bay, but looks like he won't be participating, at least today.

@RobDemovsky
Packers S Josh Jones is here for minicamp after skipping most of the OTAs. Doesn’t appear he’ll be participating though.
He's even further behind (mentally) which only cements his status very low on the depth chart. Wouldn't surprise me if management held him out of all 3 days of minicamp to avoid injury putting them on-the-hook for his $849k salary.

H

HardRightEdge

@RobDemovsky
We reckoned he'd show up if he wasn't cut or traded by today. He's not high enough on the pay scale to look past that fine. I wouldn't have let him in the building.

Not participating? I'd guess he has a meeting to do some 'splaining.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

@RobDemovsky

It's not surprising that Jones showed up for mandatory minicamp. It will be interesting to see if the Packers allow him to practice over the next two days.

With that being said I don't expect him to make this year's roster.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By asking for a trade, Jones quit on the team. I don’t want him back if he’s not willing to compete for a position, especially with his off again/on again play in his first two years.

The problem is that he has little to no value in a trade. He has marginal talent, and he’s a quitter. Any takers? He put the organization and himself in a terrible position.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By asking for a trade, Jones quit on the team. I don’t want him back if he’s not willing to compete for a position, especially with his off again/on again play in his first two years.

The problem is that he has little to no value in a trade. He has marginal talent, and he’s a quitter. Any takers? He put the organization and himself in a terrible position.

He's gotta ball out and elevate his trade value in preseason, best for him and the team.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's gotta ball out and elevate his trade value in preseason, best for him and the team.
That’s his best play now, maybe his only play. Compete and force the Packers to play him more, or become an attractive trade asset. It’s up to him.

D

Deleted member 6794

The other teams have enough tape on Jones from the past two regular seasons. Him making some plays against second and third stringers during the preseason won't increase his trade value.

That’s his best play now, maybe his only play. Compete and force the Packers to play him more, or become an attractive trade asset. It’s up to him.

There's this random thought among Packers fans that Jones hasn't received a lot of playing time during his first two seasons with the team when in fact he has been on the field for more than 1,200 snaps.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which probably comes out to Jones being on the field for around 60% of the teams defensive snaps over the last two seasons. More than enough tape, more than enough chances to show something.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The other teams have enough tape on Jones from the past two regular seasons. Him making some plays against second and third stringers during the preseason won't increase his trade value.

There's this random thought among Packers fans that Jones hasn't received a lot of playing time during his first two seasons with the team when in fact he has been on the field for more than 1,200 snaps.
I don't think he can play well enough for someone to give us a 2nd or 3rd rounder or something, but I do think he could do enough to show growth and maturity that might give him some trade value at least. 5-7th might be a possibility with a strong preseason. It wouldn't be unheard of for a 3rd year player to get better, though i'm not holding out much hope that will be the case. As it stands right now i'd be surprised if someone gave anything at all. So from no trade value to some is win in my book :)

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think he can play well enough for someone to give us a 2nd or 3rd rounder or something, but I do think he could do enough to show growth and maturity that might give him some trade value at least. 5-7th might be a possibility with a strong preseason. It wouldn't be unheard of for a 3rd year player to get better, though i'm not holding out much hope that will be the case. As it stands right now i'd be surprised if someone gave anything at all. So from no trade value to some is win in my book :)

I definitely agree that Jones could improve during his third year in the league but with teams having a ton of tape of him there's no reason to believe another GM would put enough stock into his preseason performance to even give up a late round pick for him.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven’t been paying a lot of attention to camp so far, but things seem to be quiet on this front. I thought I read something where he “made a play” so I assume he’s an active participant in camp?

Maybe after some thought he figured it’s time to just shut up and go to work for the best outcome?

D

Deleted member 6794

I haven’t been paying a lot of attention to camp so far, but things seem to be quiet on this front. I thought I read something where he “made a play” so I assume he’s an active participant in camp?

True, as far as I know Jones has participated in every single practice during camp so far.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, he probably still wants out. He's likely acknowledged that his best way to achieve that is to raise his value - showing he can contribute with plays in preseason or the early regular season. Right now with no value other than being a warm body that we may need in case of injuries or regular special teams play, there's really no reason to trade him.

He may have also acknowledged that it sucks getting fined when you haven't accumulated a lot of cash yet.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, he probably still wants out. He's likely acknowledged that his best way to achieve that is to raise his value - showing he can contribute with plays in preseason or the early regular season. Right now with no value other than being a warm body that we may need in case of injuries or regular special teams play, there's really no reason to trade him.

He may have also acknowledged that it sucks getting fined when you haven't accumulated a lot of cash yet.
Yeah it seems like he was struck by a bolt of common sense. I doubt that he has any trade value, meaning he has no leverage other than to go out and produce in TC and PS.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never doubted he wouldn't show at camp, but this trade, if it should happen probably won't happen til Week 2-4 of the Preseason when the injury bug has sunk its teeth into a few teams(hopefully not our own). If not he'll be probably spending his last year in Green Bay primarily as a backup.

Members online

Latest posts