Josh Jones wants out of Green Bay.....

Reaction score
Oh there's nothing at all to worry about, we just signed another guy off the street who has zero experience so I'm sure we will be absolutely re-invigorated at S ;)

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Keeping a player on your roster for another week after you already know you don’t want said player in your program isn’t beneficial in any way to the Packers.

At the end of the day, he said he wanted to be gone, and he’s gone. Gute waited a bit to see if he could play his way into an asset via trade, that didn’t happen, and now he’s gone.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Keeping a player on your roster for another week after you already know you don’t want said player in your program isn’t beneficial in any way to the Packers.

At the end of the day, he said he wanted to be gone, and he’s gone. Gute waited a bit to see if he could play his way into an asset via trade, that didn’t happen, and now he’s gone.

Ahhhh....so when your kid is in a timeout.....it is ok to release him early from said timeout, while he can still go out and play with the other kids? I may sound like i am nitpicking and maybe being a jerk, but unless the Packers thought he was being disruptive by being on the team, I would have left him on the roster another week.

Not sure how Jones was playing his way into being an asset, he wasn't playing at all, not one snap in preseason.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Ahhhh....so when your kid is in a timeout.....it is ok to release him early from said timeout, while he can still go out and play with the other kids? I may sound like i am nitpicking and maybe being a jerk, but unless the Packers thought he was being disruptive by being on the team, I would have left him on the roster another week.

Not sure how Jones was playing his way into being an asset, he wasn't playing at all, not one snap in preseason.
Yes, you’re nitpicking. Which I understand and appreciate. Regardless, he’s not our problem anymore.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When faced with the prospect of having to compete for playing time, his reaction was to look for an exit.

Apparently, he wasn't up for the challenge. I'm thinking perhaps that's not the type of mentality you want in your locker room.

Green Bay tried to accommodate his wishes with a trade. No takers, it seems. Not a big surprise.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I think that he handled it terribly, I always try to remind myself that these are all early-20yr old guys who don't make good decisions. My read has always been that he struggled with consistency and played reckless. I assume that he made it into Pettine's doghouse and felt there was no way to climb out except for changing teams. I have no problem with wanting a fresh start. I wish him well, but wish he would have handled it all with more class.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While I think that he handled it terribly, I always try to remind myself that these are all early-20yr old guys who don't make good decisions. My read has always been that he struggled with consistency and played reckless. I assume that he made it into Pettine's doghouse and felt there was no way to climb out except for changing teams. I have no problem with wanting a fresh start. I wish him well, but wish he would have handled it all with more class.

Yes, we have seen this kind of behavior from guys this young and even more bizarre behavior from guys in their 30's (See Antonio Brown). So really I don't buy the age excuse too much, more the maturity level. I have seen more mature 16 year olds than some of the guys that I have seen parade through the NFL. I also have to wonder who the hell some of these guys agents are? Obviously, an agent can't stop his client from saying/doing stupid things in public or online, but with the money they are getting paid, I would think they could do a bit better at damage control for their immature clients.

I think in the case of Josh Jones, his frustrations began last season, when he saw his playing time diminished. Then he sees the Packers sign Amos and draft Savage. At that point, if he had an agent, a good agent would have seen what was going on in Green Bay and contacted Josh to game plan. Guessing he either doesn't have an agent, the agent didn't do this or he ignored his agents advice. Immaturity can be managed, just takes a mature person to help try and do that.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I had to do a bit of looking, but found an article that stated Drew Rosenhaus is his agent. This all makes sense now.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26950727/packers-weighing-options-safety-josh-jones

Good research, I briefly looked. Probably does explain a lot. Rosenhaus (his agency) is one of the biggest NFL agency's and has had their share of several high profile clients, many of which are known for having eccentric personalities; AB, TO, Ochocinco, just to name a few.

Rosenhaus is a thread worthy topic all on his own. One of the more recognizable names in the NFL agent department. The article below by Andrew Brandt, someone most Packer fans will recognize, is pretty interesting. Brandt terms Rosenhaus as one of the best agents to work with, as long as your team is wanting the same thing as his client. After reading the article, it appears Jones WAS probably actually following Rosenhaus' advice. Which also makes me think their is a second layer for the teams in dealing with a situation like this. It isn't just the player you are dealing with, but maybe more importantly, the messages you are sending to his agent, who probably is representing many of your other players. So kind of a Catch-22 for a team like the Packers with Jones. More about a carefully orchestrated dance with the agent and not really with Jones. Big Fish-Small Fish.

https://nationalfootballpost.com/weekend-feature-drew-rosenhaus/

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, sometimes a fresh start is nice and as you said, you can go about it in an entirely different way. But this was just bad. Yes it sucks when you see 2 guys they want to play ahead of you, but it's not as if it meant he would languish on the bench all year. I'm going to be the guy behind Amos and Savage plays close 70% of the defensive snaps this year and he'd have numerous special teams opportunities to show what he can do.

he just didn't want to compete.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Well Josh Jones wanted out of Green Bay. Alright buddy. Be careful what you wish for. You've got 31 teams out there that could bid for your services. Don't be shocked if there are many, if any, takers.

You very well could've orchestrated your own way out of the league.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt that. Pretty sure he'd be picked by a team....how he makes it from then if a toss up. He'd be starting equal to a rookie wherever he goes. Plus the tag of lack of mental strength would be a hard one to overcome.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Imagine having JUJU Or Kamara with that lick haha smh . Packers need to use the second rd for WRs ONLY

Based on the last 20 or so years, that sure seems to be the "magic round" for the Packers for WR's
  • Davante Adams
  • Randall Cobb
  • Jordy Nelson
  • Greg Jennings
The only real whiff there was Terrence Murphy, but that was more injury related and a neck injury sustained while returning a kick his rookie year forced him to retire.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt that. Pretty sure he'd be picked by a team....how he makes it from then if a toss up. He'd be starting equal to a rookie wherever he goes. Plus the tag of lack of mental strength would be a hard one to overcome.
Well said. An average player, at best, demanding a trade, isn’t playing with a full deck. He’ll end up somewhere, but with his attitude of entitlement over performance, doubt he plays more than a year or two. Too bad. He has the athletic gifts. It’s between his ears where he’s lacking.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Believe it or not, he's a good pickup for another team needing depth at safety or hybrid linebacker. Jones will be happy and to be honest, he's got some skills. He's just got to be coached into playing smarter. Maybe another team will get in his ear. Mostly likely not but it won't cost them much to find out.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah more class and a bit more intelligence. A second year player with marginal skills isn’t gonna get far demanding a trade.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Believe it or not, he's a good pickup for another team needing depth at safety or hybrid linebacker. Jones will be happy and to be honest, he's got some skills. He's just got to be coached into playing smarter. Maybe another team will get in his ear. Mostly likely not but it won't cost them much to find out.
He has the physical gifts to play a hybrid S/LB role. He didn’t get drafted in the second round for nothing. And yeah, maybe a new coaching staff will help him get his head straight. He has the other tools.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Was thinking the same thing as I was reading through posts. This is a guy that is worth a low risk gamble on, mainly because he is athletically capable and just lacking the mental game. Some team is going to pick up a guy that knows he may be down to one chance to prove he can make it in the NFL and also prove to his old team that he is a better player than they thought. Sometimes mental motivation, as well as financial of course, is all it takes.

Reaction score
Guys. He’s just not all that good. He’s a 2nd rounder that plays like you’d expect from a 6th rounder. That’s taking you into an area of one of the better undrafted types. There’s about 2,362 of those vying for jobs (I’m being sarcastic, but probably not far off!)
So he’s one of like 181 Safeties. Now, give him credit, likely on the top 20% of those. He’s up against 35 other Safeties, so to speak. It’s an uphill battle and his odds are he’ll have 1 more shot IF he behaves.
It’ll be sink or swim, just ask Eddie Lacey

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Guys. He’s just not all that good. He’s a 2nd rounder that plays like you’d expect from a 6th rounder. That’s taking you into an area of one of the better undrafted types. There’s about 2,362 of those vying for jobs (I’m being sarcastic, but probably not far off!)
So he’s one of like 181 Safeties. Now, give him credit, likely on the top 20% of those. He’s up against 35 other Safeties, so to speak. It’s an uphill battle and his odds are he’ll have 1 more shot IF he behaves.
It’ll be sink or swim, just ask Eddie Lacey

I think your are being too generous in putting him in top 20%. More like top 50% and I think that might even be too generous considering he probably would have been the Packers #4 at best.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think in the case of Josh Jones, his frustrations began last season, when he saw his playing time diminished. Then he sees the Packers sign Amos and draft Savage.

Actually Jones was given every chance to start in Green Bay playing more than 1,200 snaps on defense over his first two seasons.

He didn't perform up to expectations but when the team signed Amos and drafted Savage was ready to quit instead of competing for playing time.

I don't mind not having a player like him in the locker room moving forward.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts