John Dorsey and the Cleveland Browns

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting to see Cleveland continue to flounder after they raided the Packers personnel department a few years ago. I heard Dorsey give a talk about 8 years ago. He struck me as not a real sharp guy. I know Cleveland fired him, but was wondering if Wolf is still there or any of the former Packers personnel. Maybe Gute was the right choice. Anyway, next time the Packers lose, remember at least you aren't a Browns fan.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know Cleveland fired him, but was wondering if Wolf is still there or any of the former Packers personnel. Maybe Gute was the right choice.

As far as I can tell no former members of the Packers front office are still with the Browns.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Eliot Wolf was the fan’s choice because of his last name. I’m pleased with Gutekunst so far. I think we’re in good shape right now and feel that the transition went very smoothly.

D

Deleted member 6794

Eliot Wolf was the fan’s choice because of his last name. I’m pleased with Gutekunst so far. I think we’re in good shape right now and feel that the transition went very smoothly.

Gutekunst has made some great free agent signings but the too early returns of his draft classes have been underwhelming. On top of it, this year's class has the potential to be a disaster.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Gutekunst has made some great free agent signings but the too early returns of his draft classes have been underwhelming. On top of it, this year's class has the potential to be a disaster.
Kind of like Aaron Rodgers 2005 draft class, eh?

Let’s not kid ourselves. Every draft class for every team in the league has the potential to be a disaster.

H

HardRightEdge

The issue I had with Wolf was there was little evidence that he was good or bad at his job. He spent the preponderance of his time in Green Bay in pro personnel. While we don't know how many excellent reports he might have written on upcoming free agents or guys on the street, those reports lay moribund in Thompson's in box. I think Gutekunst has run more veteran players through workouts, the practice squad and/or the roster in his brief two and a fraction seasons than Thompson did in a decade.

In one of Thompson's last years he commented that all hands are on deck for draft scouting. That certainly wouldn't recommend the talents of any of the pro personnel guys without knowin who was pounding the table for whom.

Whatever prescient Wolfian table-thumping for this player or that might have gone unheeded, Murphy certainly was not aware of it or impressed by it.

Wolf is now working for Hoodie as a consultant. There's no place in the NFL that has been more active in turning over veterans and trading up and down the draft board. Whatever Wolf is capable of Belchick is probably the best guy to figure that out.

D

Deleted member 6794

Kind of like Aaron Rodgers 2005 draft class, eh?

While there are similarities between this year's Packers' draft class and the one from 2005 it's completely unrealistic to expect it to work out the same way for different reasons.

It would have been much smarter to address current positions of need.

Let’s not kid ourselves. Every draft class for every team in the league has the potential to be a disaster.

True, but Gutekunst using the team's first four picks on backups significantly increased that risk.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
While there are similarities between this year's Packers' draft class and the one from 2005 it's completely unrealistic to expect it to work out the same way for different reasons.

True, but Gutekunst using the team's first four picks on backups significantly increased that risk.
Lol, I guess time will tell if you’re much smarter than Gutekunst in terms of GM duties although I think I already know the answer.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lol, I guess time will tell if you’re much smarter than Gutekunst in terms of GM duties although I think I already know the answer.

I never said anything about being smarter than Gutekunst. But it's mind-boggling that you don't realize he made some at least questionable moves in this year's draft.

It's not surprising though as you were adamant about Thompson being right about everything as long as he was the team's general manager as well.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nobody gets them all right. I can't say I liked the QB in the first this year, the rest i'm ok with. Though if he develops into a good NFL QB, it was a great pick. I didn't really like the Wagner or Turner signings or Graham. But Amos, Smith and Smith I'd say were pretty good. I think drafts have been pretty good overall. Obviously hasn't hit on all of them. He's off to a pretty decent start in my book.

D

Deleted member 6794

nobody gets them all right. I can't say I liked the QB in the first this year, the rest i'm ok with. Though if he develops into a good NFL QB, it was a great pick. I didn't really like the Wagner or Turner signings or Graham. But Amos, Smith and Smith I'd say were pretty good. I think drafts have been pretty good overall. Obviously hasn't hit on all of them. He's off to a pretty decent start in my book.

As mentioned before Gutekunst has done a marvelous job in free agency although not all of his signings have worked out as planned.

I don't agree he has been pretty good in the draft so far though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I never said anything about being smarter than Gutekunst. But it's mind-boggling that you don't realize he made some at least questionable moves in this year's draft.

It's not surprising though as you were adamant about Thompson being right about everything as long as he was the team's general manager as well.
It certainly raised my eyebrows when he traded up to pick Jordan Love until I saw video on Love and heard that some thought he had the best arm talent in this QB class. Then I realized that this is the guy Gutekunst wants to take over from Rodgers in a few years. The Dillon and Deguara picks just confirmed that we are moving into the LaFleur offense which is very different from the McCarthy offense.

just because I wasn’t a Thompson hater like many here, doesn’t mean that I agreed with everything he did. I never saw Dix as a first round talent. Although I was late to the party, I think Thompson should have insisted that McCarthy fire Capers and if he refused, then Thompson should have fired McCarthy as well. At what point should this have happened? Not sure, but no doubt I was a late arrival to jump on the fire Capers bandwagon. I think seeing Hyde and Hayward flourish elsewhere immediately, cemented my belief that Capers was misusing his players. I also questioned the Raji pick because I feel he had some basic character flaws that could have been picked up by Thompson and his scouting staff. In retrospect, I feel Capers is much to blame for misusing Raji as well.

So, you see, I didn’t agree with everything Thompson did, but I was certainly not a hater.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I think a lot of it was misuse of players and not putting players in positions to do better. But the inability to do much adjusting on D and the overuse of the 3 man rush was bad. Also bad was giving up so many 3rd and longs. So I guess I had more of a problem with Capers. But in a real sense, that was Thompson's responsibility also.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think a lot of it was misuse of players and not putting players in positions to do better. But the inability to do much adjusting on D and the overuse of the 3 man rush was bad. Also bad was giving up so many 3rd and longs. So I guess I had more of a problem with Capers. But in a real sense, that was Thompson's responsibility also.
Yes, ultimately it is Thompson’s responsibility. In retrospect, he gave McCarthy too long a leash.

D

Deleted member 6794

It certainly raised my eyebrows when he traded up to pick Jordan Love until I saw video on Love and heard that some thought he had the best arm talent in this QB class. Then I realized that this is the guy Gutekunst wants to take over from Rodgers in a few years. The Dillon and Deguara picks just confirmed that we are moving into the LaFleur offense which is very different from the McCarthy offense.

I'm sorry but there's no way to convince me it was a smart idea to use the team's first four picks on backups in this year's draft after the team made it to the NFCCG last season.

Gutekunst should have addressed current positions of need instead.

As a side note, while I criticized Thompson more often than others I definitely wasn't a hater either.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, ultimately it is Thompson’s responsibility. In retrospect, he gave McCarthy too long a leash.
And McCarthy was set in his ways to a fault. His time in Dallas will be interesting. He has a lot to work with.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As mentioned before Gutekunst has done a marvelous job in free agency although not all of his signings have worked out as planned.

I don't agree he has been pretty good in the draft so far though.

He's only had 2 drafts and you can't really gauge how good a draft is for a couple of years down the line.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He's only had 2 drafts and you can't really gauge how good a draft is for a couple of years down the line.
I think he’s had 3 drafts now, he drafted Alexander, correct?

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

yup, like if Aaron Jones doesn’t walk after this season, the Dillion pick was pointless.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yup, like if Aaron Jones doesn’t walk after this season, the Dillion pick was pointless.

Yeah because its not like we've seen teams be able to utilize two backs that have different skill sets.... (cough cough Kamara/Ingram).........

Btw I still say let Jones walk

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, and I like the early returns on the first two drafts.

Hmmm, the 2018 draft yielded Alexander and MVS. Other than that it seems the draft class doesn't even include a decent backup.

It's too early to fairly evaluate last year's selections but Jenkins is a stud. The development of Gary and Savage will go a long way towards Gutekunst's first two drafts being a success.

I have repeatedly stated that I consider this year's class to be a head scratcher. Love not even being able to beat out Boyle for the backup job isn't a good sign to start with.

Even if Jones walks away in free agency after this season it was pointless to use the second rounder on a backup as well.

Gutekust should have addressed the running back position next year if they don't re-sign Jones.

Members online

Latest posts