JJ Watt Cardinals 2 yrs 31 mill

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Bears are now gaining some traction for JJ.

Kealia Watt, JJ’s wife, prefers he plays in Chicago.

She signed a new contact last year and plays professional soccer with the Chicago Red Stars. Previously she played six seasons with the Houston Dash. Since her move, JJ has said that he loves Chicago.

I don't know.....Green Bay or Kealia.... I know where I would play :D

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Found this very interesting stat.
Despite his lack of impressive sack numbers it's clear opposing offenses are still very much afraid of JJ Watt.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Despite his lack of impressive sack numbers it's clear opposing offenses are still very much afraid of JJ Watt.

Add to that Clark who had numerous games where he was doubled over 30 percent of the time. Watt, Smith and Clark would really force offensive coordinators to think through who to double team. You then also have Gary who was very disruptive down the stretch.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah posted this awhile back. I guess old Rob must of finally saw it...haha

Got a lot of backlash from browns fans who correctly claim myles garrett is the #3 most double teamed edge player. But my point to them was ok you got 2 guys teams feel they have to double a good amount. They can't double both of em on the same play because if they do that leaves a 9 vs 7 advantage elsewhere. And the Packers supporting Cast outside of z.smith is way better than the browns outside of m.garrett. Alexander Amos and Savage are probably pro bowl and possibly all pro candidates in the secondary. And Clark and Gary are the same in the front 7

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thought ive seen bumping around is that if Watt signs this weekend its the Browns but if he waits hes likely waiting for another team to work out some cap space.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The other defensive players around watt factor into the equation. Maybe he was double teamed because the rest of the Houston pass rush could be managed with single blocks.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darn, I read to the last post, figuring to add the above, after all the hoopla about that stat, and then Amish jumps in. :(

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for adding Watt. I hope we can get him at a decent number. I think we should spend our FA money on a WR or a CB - but it's more about weighing the opportunities available.

Mexican Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm all for adding Watt. I hope we can get him at a decent number. I think we should spend our FA money on a WR or a CB - but it's more about weighing the opportunities available.

The top WR in free agency would want more money than Watt

A player for the same price as Watt like Marvin Jones or Curtis Samuel are not guaranteed to be better next season in this scheme than Lazard or MVS

But I do think a CB is badly needed

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The top WR in free agency would want more money than Watt

A player for the same price as Watt like Marvin Jones or Curtis Samuel are not guaranteed to be better next season in this scheme than Lazard or MVS

But I do think a CB is badly needed

My top choice for a FA WR is Curtis Samuel. He would fit our offense like a glove and wouldn't be overly expensive. He is a Swiss army knife, can line up in the backfield and be that scat receiving back type, or line up out wide or in the slot. Galladay and Robinson are both well outside our price range, and neither are as versatile as Samuel. Sign Samuel, and a mid tier CB such as Chidobe Awuzie...If given the option of Watt, or those two, I'm taking the package deal every time. However, if we sign more than 1 FA there likely wouldn't be enough cash left to sign Jones.

D

Deleted member 6794

My top choice for a FA WR is Curtis Samuel. He would fit our offense like a glove and wouldn't be overly expensive. Sign Samuel, and a mid tier CB such as Chidobe Awuzie... However, if we sign more than 1 FA there likely wouldn't be enough cash left to sign Jones.

According to Spotrac Samuel's market value is believed to be at $12.4 million per season. There's no way the Packers can offer him that much money. Same with Awuze at an average of $8.5 million.

In addition the team shouldn't re-sign Jones either.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Spotrac Samuel's market value is believed to be at $12.4 million per season. There's no way the Packers can offer him that much money. Same with Awuze at an average of $8.5 million.

They can afford to pay a guy that much for sure. I guess what you mean is they can't pay all these guys that much without mortgaging the future a bit. Which I agree with but at some point you gotta take that shot or youre just a perennial playoff team and never a champion

You keep saying that about Jones but clearly they are trying to get that deal done as their number 1 priority...if they weren't Watt would already be a Packer

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They can afford that though. It all comes down to how the deal is structured. We could easily backload the contract, in anticipation that the cap will stabilize back to normal by time it reaches that $12-15M per year range, while only paying in the neighborhood of $5-6M year one.

Also, if we restructure Rodgers' deal that would free up between $8-10M, resigning Adams would open up another $6-8M, cutting Preston Smith and Dean Lowry would free up another $11M, restructuring Za'Darius could also free up another $5M if we wanted. So by time we do all of that we will have around $25M in cap space to play around with. Which would give us the freedom to sign 2 outside FA's, and possibly resign either Linsley or Jones. While also having enough for the rookie class.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

They can afford to pay a guy that much for sure. I guess what you mean is they can't pay all these guys that much without mortgaging the future a bit.

You keep saying that about Jones but clearly they are trying to get that deal done as their number 1 priority...if they weren't Watt would already be a Packer

The Packers are currently projected to be $10 million over the cap, therefore the Packers would need to make some moves to create cap space to sign Samuel.

While I'm well aware they could make it happen I don't think spending that much money on a wide receiver or Jones for thst matter would be a smart decision.

In addition I don't think you're right about the Watt situation.

They can afford that though. It all comes down to how the deal is structured. We could easily backload the contract, in anticipation that the cap will stabilize back to normal by time it reaches that $12-15M per year range, while only paying in the neighborhood of $5-6M year one.

Also, if we restructure Rodgers' deal that would free up between $8-10M, resigning Adams would open up another $6-8M, cutting Preston Smith and Dean Lowry would free up another $11M, restructuring Za'Darius could also free up another $5M if we wanted. So by time we do all of that we will have around $25M in cap space to play around with. Which would give us the freedom to sign 2 outside FA's, and possibly resign either Linsley or Jones. While also having enough for the rookie class.

As mentioned above I know they could make some moves to create enough cap space to sign Samuel but I wouldn't consider it to be a smart signing.

FWIW the Packers could actually create up to $16 million of cap space by restructuring Rodgers' deal.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are currently projected to be $10 million over the cap, therefore the Packers would need to make some moves to create cap space to sign Samuel.

In addition I don't think you're right about the Watt situation.

I'm definitely not in favor of signing Samuel for 12 m per. Now I don't think he ends up getting that much either but that's another story. If he does wow! That really makes aaron jones at 12 m per look like a complete steal...

And as for Watt...But I am right, I may know something you don't about the situation. Watt very much so has the Packers as his first choice. They're just waiting for the money stuff to get figured out a bit more

D

Deleted member 6794

And as for Watt...But I am right, I may know something you don't about the situation. Watt very much so has the Packers as his first choice. They're just waiting for the money stuff to get figured out a bit more

I don't know anything about your sources but would be excited if you're actually right about it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm definitely not in favor of signing Samuel for 12 m per. Now I don't think he ends up getting that much either but that's another story. If he does wow! That really makes aaron jones at 12 m per look like a complete steal...

It's hard to know what salaries will do in this strange cap year, but given the caliber of receivers that have gotten 10+M averages in recent seasons, it wouldn't be hard for me to imagine Samuel getting similar money in a normal offseason.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see money going down this year for salaries. Teams are going to bank on new TV deals and more money and I think many are just going to push it out and hope for the best. Players aren't going to settle for less because of "covid" or a down cap. They're still going to say pay me, and teams will.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see money going down this year for salaries. Teams are going to bank on new TV deals and more money and I think many are just going to push it out and hope for the best. Players aren't going to settle for less because of "covid" or a down cap. They're still going to say pay me, and teams will.

To a point yes, especially the top athletes...however at best the cap freezes one year, most likely drops sub 190 and worst appears 180 (would match the minimum though so doubtful).

That said if the cap stays the same, that still would mean it is rarely the top shelf guys that would be forced to take less year or less money deals it is the bottom of roster (Oren Burks type if cut) or coming off injury (Kirksey last year) or the older veteran deals (think Wagner and/or Marcedes Lewis) that will see a measurable amount of less spending by teams.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to know what salaries will do in this strange cap year, but given the caliber of receivers that have gotten 10+M averages in recent seasons, it wouldn't be hard for me to imagine Samuel getting similar money in a normal offseason.
I expect to see a lot of 1 year deals as players bet next year will be more lucrative. At the very least, contracts will escalate every year at the max.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I expect to see a lot of 1 year deals as players bet next year will be more lucrative. At the very least, contracts will escalate every year at the max.

I think you're probably right. I could see an initial wave of deals similar to a normal FA year, and then once that passes, a lot of one year contracts.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you're probably right. I could see an initial wave of deals similar to a normal FA year, and then once that passes, a lot of one year contracts.
I could see more players getting one styled like Marcus Peters' current 4 year contract extension if not quite the same amounts. $8m signing bonus, year 1 cap about $3m with $13m guaranteed year two and injury guarantee year 3. Peters' contract being an end of season extension changed the first year cap hit.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, with the lowered salary cap, the franchise tag is cheaper too. I think they could sign Jones for around $8/year rather than $12. Think I saw Nagler talking about this.