JJ Watt Cardinals 2 yrs 31 mill

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems it's now on the Packers front office to not screw this up...just imagine had TT drafted TJ watt like he was supposed to it'd already be a done deal

"I don't get overly emotional for too many things, and today was one of them," Watt said in the interview from a Packers practice field. "I literally have looked through these fences as a kid and watched practice, watched Brett Favre practice. I've seen the bike tradition, I've stood outside the gates by the players' lot trying to get autographs. For me, this is literally a dream I've had since I was a little kid. To be able to walk out on this practice field and play in the shadows of Lambeau Field, it was pretty special"

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every year we hear these rumors constantly of players they are about to get and that they are interested in. Look back at the trade deadline. 98.9% percent of the time they do the complete opposite of what u hear. lol fwiw I will take anybody on this team that makes them better I want Rodgers to get one more ring.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems it's now on the Packers front office to not screw this up...just imagine had TT drafted TJ watt like he was supposed to it'd already be a done deal

"I don't get overly emotional for too many things, and today was one of them," Watt said in the interview from a Packers practice field. "I literally have looked through these fences as a kid and watched practice, watched Brett Favre practice. I've seen the bike tradition, I've stood outside the gates by the players' lot trying to get autographs. For me, this is literally a dream I've had since I was a little kid. To be able to walk out on this practice field and play in the shadows of Lambeau Field, it was pretty special"

If JJ Watt chooses another team bc they can pay more, then the Packers didn’t really screw it up. You can only do so much, but that doesn’t make the headlines as well I guess.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this sounds like a cliche, but any money JJ leaves on the table to sign with the Packers because of their salary cap squeeze, would be more than compensated by a monstrous take in advertising. Watt is already popular in WI. Put him in green and gold and he would be an advertising juggernaut in Green Bay, Madison, Milwaukee and the rest of the state. He wouldn't have the whole state of Ohio or Pennsylvania if he signed with the Clowns or Steelers.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this sounds like a cliche, but any money JJ leaves on the table to sign with the Packers because of their salary cap squeeze, would be more than compensated by a monstrous take in advertising. Watt is already popular in WI. Put him in green and gold and he would be an advertising juggernaut in Green Bay, Madison, Milwaukee and the rest of the state. He wouldn't have the whole state of Ohio or Pennsylvania if he signed with the Clowns or Steelers.

He's going to make the same in marketing no matter where he goes. If he goes to Cleveland, I guarantee he'll make just as much. National marketing is where he makes the most money, which is good for Green Bay because they have the smallest local market in the NFL. The only difference might be getting some extra money in Pittsburgh because of the novelty of doing ads with his brothers?

D

Deleted member 6794

If we had signed TJ we could most likely not afford or need JJ.

The Packers would actually be in better shape regarding the salary cap if they drafted TJ Watt in 2017 as they wouldn't have had to sign both Zadarius and Preston Smith.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Za'Darius Smith backed up his 2019 performance with another double-digit sack season in 2020 (and drew double teams at the second-highest rate among all edge rushers behind Watt, according to ESPN Stats & Information)

I checked this stat to make sure it was indeed talking about jj watt...if that's not an insane opportunity for the Packers defense to be top 3 next season. And Rodgers with a great defense equals Superbowl victory

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Signed? I was talking about drafting him instead of trading down to get Kevin King and Vince Biegel

vince biegel :laugh::roflmao::D
had to google him to see what he was up to nowadays
shockingly, he was a dolphin this year and maybe wasn't completely useless

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watt is going to sell tickets for some team. Packers don't need to over pay players to sell tickets. Therefore, some cap fat team will be willing to overpay Watt. The Packers do not have enough cap to overpay anyone.

NFL Season Ticket Waiting Lists: Which Teams Have Them & Which Wish They Did (seatacular.com)

Supposedly watt is highly motivated to win a championship and has wanted to play for the Packers since he was a kid. He lives in Waukesha in the off season. The dots are too many not to connect...

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Supposedly watt is highly motivated to win a championship and has wanted to play for the Packers since he was a kid. He lives in Waukesha in the off season. The dots are too many not to connect...
It’s all going to come down to... money. I’m usually pretty conservative when it comes to the salary cap... mortgaging the future ... and free agents, but in this case... I am truly hoping that Gute is all in and ready to roll the dice.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He works out at a certain place near his house

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

I get that when the difference is a few hundred thousand dollars for a guy like JJ Watt, but when the difference is $7-8 Million, my money would be on him following the money.

Let me ask everyone, who was the last Packer player to settle for substantially less money, just for the honor of playing in Green Bay?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I get that when the difference is a few hundred thousand dollars for a guy like JJ Watt, but when the difference is $7-8 Million, my money would be on him following the money.

Let me ask everyone, who was the last Packer player to settle for substantially less money, just for the honor of playing in Green Bay?
Never know..

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IIRC Jordy would have as well as Driver if the team wanted them back. Gilbert too.

Reportedly, but it never happened. ;) Those 3 were also Packer players.

If I remember, the Packers really low balled Jordy and despite wanting to continue and finish with the only team he had ever played for, Jordy took the Raiders substantially higher offer. Keep in mind, JJ has never played for the Packers and his only connection is growing up in Wisconsin and one day dreaming of playing for the Packers. I have a feeling that JJ has lived beyond those dreams.

We seem to kick this idea/hope around every year with a player or 2 and it never happens. Would you take a $7-8M pay cut just to play for a specific team for a year?

Never know..

Very few things in life are 100%, but that is why Vegas puts odds on everything.

BetOnline's full odds for Watt's next team are as follows and keep in mind, this isn't probably taking into account JJ playing for the Packers at a substantial "team friendly discount":

• Browns -150
  • Packers +500
  • Steelers +550
  • Bills +700
  • Buccaneers +750
  • Ravens +1000
  • Colts/Cowboys +1400
  • Patriots/Rams/49ers +1600
  • Titans +1800
  • Dolphins +2000

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s all going to come down to... money. I’m usually pretty conservative when it comes to the salary cap... mortgaging the future ... and free agents, but in this case... I am truly hoping that Gute is all in and ready to roll the dice.

I'm thinking some other team (cleveland) or teams will offer more than gb but that Watt in the end picks the team he grew up dreaming about winning a superbowl for and then does it, that's priceless!...

I get that in the end this is a job so you wanna get paid as much as you can for your time. But Watt has grossed over 100 million during his nfl career so far not including endorsements, so I bet he's pretty ok. Where he can afford to take 10 m per for 3 instead of 12 something along those lines. Now if cleveland is trying to pay 20 m per then yeah idk.

I guess I'm saying I don't believe it comes down to money in this situation, this time, which is beyond rare

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I remember, the Packers really low balled Jordy and despite wanting to continue and finish with the only team he had ever played for, Jordy took the Raiders substantially higher offer.

I have a feeling that JJ has lived beyond those dreams.

Very few things in life are 100%, but that is why Vegas puts odds on everything.

BetOnline's full odds for Watt's next team are as follows and keep in mind, this isn't probably taking into account JJ playing for the Packers at a substantial "team friendly discount":

The way I remember that is the Packers released Jordy Nelson after disrespecting him by offering him the opportunity to play for 1 million. Then he signed with Raiders after he was released. But see that wasn't a serious offer by the Packers that was a we don't want you at all but we know the fans love you so were gonna make it know we offered you the opportunity to remain a Packer. And Jordy said he still considered it.

JJ hasn't lived beyond those dreams because I gurantee he wasn't in the backyard dreaming about losing games and never winning a championship...

And I think that does take into account that Watt might do something crazy like take a decent amount less to play for the Packers but it's also a good indication that vegas has strong intel suggesting that the browns are offering like 18-20 million per

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way I remember that is the Packers released Jordy Nelson after disrespecting him by offering him the opportunity to play for 1 million. Then he signed with Raiders after he was released. But see that wasn't a serious offer by the Packers that was a we don't want you at all but we know the fans love you so were gonna make it know we offered you the opportunity to remain a Packer. And Jordy said he still considered it.

JJ hasn't lived beyond those dreams because I gurantee he wasn't in the backyard dreaming about losing games and never winning a championship...

And I think that does take into account that Watt might do something crazy like take a decent amount less to play for the Packers but it's also a good indication that vegas has strong intel suggesting that the browns are offering like 18-20 million per

That the thing, a team willing to overpay that much isn't going to be winning any championships.