1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Injury update: Harrell says he's ready

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by wizard 87, Oct 17, 2008.

1. wizard 87

wizard 87 Old Enough To Know Better

Ratings:
    +11
    Friday, October 17, 2008
    The Green Bay Packers won't announce until Saturday whether they're activating defensive tackle Justin Harrell from the physically-unable-to-perform list Friday, but Harrell says he’s ready to play again and very well could be needed.

Harrell has had two surgeries on his lower back since March and just returned to the practice field this week, the first week he’s eligible to come off PUP. He practiced all three days and said he has no pain in his lower back – the surgeries were to correct a bulging disc.

The biggest issue is whether coach Mike McCarthy thinks Harrell is ready to play in an NFL game after missing the entire offseason, all of training camp and the first six weeks of the regular season. The Packers only have three defensive tackles likely to play this week – Ryan Pickett, Johnny Jolly and Colin Cole – so they’re anxious to get Harrell on the field as soon as possible.

Harrell said he hasn’t lobbied McCarthy to play.

“My lobbying is going out there on the field and showing them I can do it,” Harrell said.

If the Packers activate Harrell, they’ll have to make room for him on the 53-man roster by cutting someone or placing someone on injured reserve. One possibility would be placing defensive end Jason Hunter (hamstring) on IR, though the team would prefer to allow him to heal up and play again this season.

Two starters listed as questionable (50 percent chance of playing) said they both expect to play, Pickett (elbow) and center Scott Wells (shoulder/chest). Starting safety Atari Bigby (hamstring) is doubtful (25 percent chance of playing). Defensive ends Mike Montgomery (ankle) and Hunter (hamstring) also are doubtful, as is receiver James Jones (knee).

2. 44 blitz

44 blitz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    My lobbying is going out there on the field and showing them I can do it,” Harrell said.

Let's get him back on the field are defensive line needs more depth ASAP

3. wischeez

wischeez Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    We need him back out there Mike!

4. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, no matter how much he says he is ready, I'm not impressed.
    Throw him out there Mike, we need another body till he is injured again.

5. PackOne

PackOne Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    It will help, I agree we still need another big guy.

6. DonnieCash

DonnieCash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Whether he is 100percent or not we need to bodies at this point.

7. dansz15

dansz15 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +35
    I don't take it for much, Harrel up to this point has been a bust IMO, they said his draft stock dropped drastically from 1st to potential 3rd rounder when he was drafted because of injuries. I hate it when Kiper is right.

8. RainX

RainX Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +13
    Even though Harrell has been relatively disappointing so far, to say it's not good to finally get him back is silly. We've been pretty fortunate so far this season, as far as injuries go, going with only 3 pure DTs on the roster. (Pickett, Jolly, and Cole) I say this because the team usually uses a 3-man DT rotation on the 45-man game-day roster, so getting a 4th guy in there now is, at worst, good for depth at the position.

Hopefully he'll be activated before the Titans game and we can get Montgomery and Hunter back and get our defensive line back to full strength. Well, as strong as it will be with no Cullen Jenkins for the remainder of the season.

9. mike bat

mike bat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    holy moly Harrell may play a game .... sweet i dont even know what he looks like or who he is ... so far hes just another name ....

10. TheStone

TheStone Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +10
    I want to see him play!

And I like us all to relax a little about "1st-rounders"!
    The whole draft is a lottery. It should not be "Superstar or Bust",
    even if your drafted in the first round.

11. PackAttackUK

PackAttackUK Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +26
    I had the same surgery as Harrell, but mine was to correct 1 slipped and 3 bulging discs!

12. CalifPacker

CalifPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Great to hear he is coming back. This guy wants to play and contribute.

I hope he does well!

13. PWT36

PWT36 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We had a center with the Green Bay Packer who was injuried in both of his first to trainiing camps in Green Bay in 1996 & 1997. Jim was on IR his first two years in Green Bay, This Packer center played in only 2 games in 1998 which was his third year in Green Bay. Green Bay kept him on team for those three years. The Packer were rewarded for their patiences with this player. From then on from 1999 - 2006 He was the Packer center until Jim became a free free agent and left Green Bay in free agency and went to Houston Texans. Former Packer center Jim Flanagan rarely ever missed a start from 1998 -2006.

I would say to all you critical posters of Harrell , injuries can happen anytime to football player, even a first rounder. Football is brutal game.

Brett Favre had many injuries over his 17 years in NFL. He was fortunate to never miss a start. Brett is exception to the rule in the NFL.

14. grandtkd23

grandtkd23 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Im assuming you meant "Mike" Flanigan. And yes it is to early to be calling Harrel a bust. D-line is one of the most difficult positions in th NFL. Give him a little more time. If he comes out next year with yet another injury, than the bust label could be thrown out there.

15. retiredgrampa

retiredgrampa Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's troubling but at today's presser, MM was unsure whether Harrell would play Sunday. I don't like this indecision especially when the team will be facing a great running attack Sunday. Fresh bodies with size will be necessary then.

16. DonnieCash

DonnieCash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Well he's active,

and KGB is gone.

so I guess he's playing.

17. starr15

starr15 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    i love that justin harrell is replacing KGB,harrell is so much better,just never gets to play,and isnt like 234,234,234 years old like KGB.im just happy hes starting

18. DonnieCash

DonnieCash Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah but at the same time KGB is great.

He does hold our sack record.

He's just starting to age a bit.

19. Pugger

Pugger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +5
    Was Jim Flanagan the father who played for us back years ago or the son who played for the bares most of his career (and one with us?)?