Injury update: Harrell says he's ready

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Friday, October 17, 2008
The Green Bay Packers won't announce until Saturday whether they're activating defensive tackle Justin Harrell from the physically-unable-to-perform list Friday, but Harrell says he’s ready to play again and very well could be needed.

Harrell has had two surgeries on his lower back since March and just returned to the practice field this week, the first week he’s eligible to come off PUP. He practiced all three days and said he has no pain in his lower back – the surgeries were to correct a bulging disc.

The biggest issue is whether coach Mike McCarthy thinks Harrell is ready to play in an NFL game after missing the entire offseason, all of training camp and the first six weeks of the regular season. The Packers only have three defensive tackles likely to play this week – Ryan Pickett, Johnny Jolly and Colin Cole – so they’re anxious to get Harrell on the field as soon as possible.

Harrell said he hasn’t lobbied McCarthy to play.

“My lobbying is going out there on the field and showing them I can do it,” Harrell said.

If the Packers activate Harrell, they’ll have to make room for him on the 53-man roster by cutting someone or placing someone on injured reserve. One possibility would be placing defensive end Jason Hunter (hamstring) on IR, though the team would prefer to allow him to heal up and play again this season.

Two starters listed as questionable (50 percent chance of playing) said they both expect to play, Pickett (elbow) and center Scott Wells (shoulder/chest). Starting safety Atari Bigby (hamstring) is doubtful (25 percent chance of playing). Defensive ends Mike Montgomery (ankle) and Hunter (hamstring) also are doubtful, as is receiver James Jones (knee).

44 blitz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My lobbying is going out there on the field and showing them I can do it,” Harrell said.

Let's get him back on the field are defensive line needs more depth ASAP

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't take it for much, Harrel up to this point has been a bust IMO, they said his draft stock dropped drastically from 1st to potential 3rd rounder when he was drafted because of injuries. I hate it when Kiper is right.

RainX

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though Harrell has been relatively disappointing so far, to say it's not good to finally get him back is silly. We've been pretty fortunate so far this season, as far as injuries go, going with only 3 pure DTs on the roster. (Pickett, Jolly, and Cole) I say this because the team usually uses a 3-man DT rotation on the 45-man game-day roster, so getting a 4th guy in there now is, at worst, good for depth at the position.

Hopefully he'll be activated before the Titans game and we can get Montgomery and Hunter back and get our defensive line back to full strength. Well, as strong as it will be with no Cullen Jenkins for the remainder of the season.

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
holy moly Harrell may play a game .... sweet i dont even know what he looks like or who he is ... so far hes just another name ....

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see him play!

And I like us all to relax a little about "1st-rounders"!
The whole draft is a lottery. It should not be "Superstar or Bust",
even if your drafted in the first round.

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We had a center with the Green Bay Packer who was injuried in both of his first to trainiing camps in Green Bay in 1996 & 1997. Jim was on IR his first two years in Green Bay, This Packer center played in only 2 games in 1998 which was his third year in Green Bay. Green Bay kept him on team for those three years. The Packer were rewarded for their patiences with this player. From then on from 1999 - 2006 He was the Packer center until Jim became a free free agent and left Green Bay in free agency and went to Houston Texans. Former Packer center Jim Flanagan rarely ever missed a start from 1998 -2006.

I would say to all you critical posters of Harrell , injuries can happen anytime to football player, even a first rounder. Football is brutal game.

Brett Favre had many injuries over his 17 years in NFL. He was fortunate to never miss a start. Brett is exception to the rule in the NFL.

grandtkd23

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im assuming you meant "Mike" Flanigan. And yes it is to early to be calling Harrel a bust. D-line is one of the most difficult positions in th NFL. Give him a little more time. If he comes out next year with yet another injury, than the bust label could be thrown out there.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's troubling but at today's presser, MM was unsure whether Harrell would play Sunday. I don't like this indecision especially when the team will be facing a great running attack Sunday. Fresh bodies with size will be necessary then.

starr15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i love that justin harrell is replacing KGB,harrell is so much better,just never gets to play,and isnt like 234,234,234 years old like KGB.im just happy hes starting

DonnieCash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah but at the same time KGB is great.

He does hold our sack record.

He's just starting to age a bit.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Jim Flanagan the father who played for us back years ago or the son who played for the bares most of his career (and one with us?)?