Head Coach interviews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, when you find your guy, you hire him. So it does not matter if someone else hires him later. I'm looking for a short Italian man. :)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't find the quote online but the paper today mentions Philbin has not yet been contacted for an interview.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Please God don't go after any if these idiots recently fired. I'd actually say we can bring back MM to interview if we want to retred another, likely worse teams coach.

Who wants retreads like Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, and Andy Reid?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Can't find the quote online but the paper today mentions Philbin has not yet been contacted for an interview.
I think he was kind of already given his interview over the last 4 weeks? If the Packers have no intention of bringing him back, I actually think going through the motions of a formal interview are a waste of everyone's time and in the end they would just come off as perfunctory.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if some of the dozen aforementioned possible interviews are actually prep work for co-ordinators to help fill the staff for a certain "new to the nfl" college coach that has a game yet today and can't interview until tomorrow.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Who wants retreads like Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, and Andy Reid?
You took the words right out of my mouth. Hard to find a guy that doesn't have some dings and dents on their resume, unless you risk hiring a guy that is perceived to be a young and upcoming coach, but then you are taking a chance on experience.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I wonder if some of the dozen aforementioned possible interviews are actually prep work for co-ordinators to help fill the staff for a certain "new to the nfl" college coach that has a game yet today and can't interview until tomorrow.

Wouldn't surprise me. Guys like Caldwell and Pagano may not be the best choices for HC, but maybe Gute is casting out a large net and sorting through everyone, trying to assemble the best possible HC, OC and DC out of the group.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me. Guys like Caldwell and Pagano may not be the best choices for HC, but maybe Gute is casting out a large net and sorting through everyone, trying to assemble the best possible HC, OC and DC out of the group.
The young head coaches being fired today got their jobs because they were excellent coordinators. There is some excellent coordinator talent out there. I bet the GB job is the most attractive based on QB situation as well as the organization.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The young head coaches being fired today got their jobs because they were excellent coordinators. There is some excellent coordinator talent out there. I bet the GB job is the most attractive based on QB situation as well as the organization.
I am actually thinking that despite their most recent history of basically being the worst team in the NFL for years, the Cleveland job would be the most attractive. The amount of talent that they have been able to stock up on is incredible and if Baker Mayfield is a rising star, that job would seem to be super appealing to me. You have a city so hungry for a winning team, that even just making the playoffs the first year on the job, might make the new coach a legend in Cleveland.

Hate to say it, but I think potential HC's looking at the Packers job are going to be nervous that if all the perceived negatives about Rodgers are true, as well as a fan base that expects Super Bowls, taking the job could end up being a career death sentence.

Also, apparently McCarthy is a pretty well respected coach by his peers, if he couldn't get it done in Green Bay, that might scare a few off as well.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Since 2000, 12 out of 19 Lombardi Trophies have been won by so called "retreads." If you're ruling out that whole category of coach, you're a fool. The Packers should look really hard at coaches who have done the job once and failed.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Packers have requested an interview with Saints assistant head coach and tight ends coach Dan Campbell. The Browns have also put in a request.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am actually thinking that despite their most recent history of basically being the worst team in the NFL for years, the Cleveland job would be the most attractive. The amount of talent that they have been able to stock up on is incredible and if Baker Mayfield is a rising star, that job would seem to be super appealing to me. You have a city so hungry for a winning team, that even just making the playoffs the first year on the job, might make the new coach a legend in Cleveland.

Hate to say it, but I think potential HC's looking at the Packers job are going to be nervous that if all the perceived negatives about Rodgers are true, as well as a fan base that expects Super Bowls, taking the job could end up being a career death sentence.
Fair enough.

On the plus side, outside of Cincinnati, it's a very stable job. Who would want AZ job when they fire the HC after only a year?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Fair enough.

On the plus side, outside of Cincinnati, it's a very stable job. Who would want AZ job when they fire the HC after only a year?

I really hope the Packer HC job will be stable, but again, we could easily be in that Ray Rhodes-Mike Sherman phase of reorganization and if Murphy and Gute don't find the right guy, as well as make the right moves themselves, we could be back here talking about replacements for their jobs in a few years.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since 2000, 12 out of 19 Lombardi Trophies have been won by so called "retreads." If you're ruling out that whole category of coach, you're a fool. The Packers should look really hard at coaches who have done the job once and failed.

How many total coaches were retreads? If that group constituted a percentage lower than 63%, you might have a point.

H

HardRightEdge

"This is not shaping up to be a quick process."

That depends on how one defines "quick". Viable candidates are currently coaching on playoff teams. They may be blocked from interviewing or may be disinclined to divide their focus. I would expect a decision within a week or two of when the last of the leading candidates concludes their playoff work, which could be after the Super Bowl or perhaps sooner.

The fact Gase has entered the discussion is because Miami was eliminated from playoff contention a while ago and his firing was widely anticiapted. Now that his firing is confirmed, "one person suspects" the Packers will "go after" Gase. That lack of specificity which doesn't even reach the bar of "a Packer source" is a dubious "par for the course" in the echo chamber. And if he does get an interview, there is no reason to believe it's not for the OC job.

The argument that taking a methodical approach might result in the leading candidate to quickly sign elsewhere being a lost opportunity doesn't hold much water. If a guy jumps for a job before hearing out another interested party, he wasn't interested in that party in the first place. On the other hand, the Colts coming to some kind of early agreement in principal, but evidently not a signed contract, in the McDaniel fiasco left the Colts out of the market for about 5 weeks before being jilted. That's a rare circumstance but it does serve as a cautionary tale about not counting your chicken before he puts his claw print on the dotted line.

The important date is March 11 when free agent negotiations can begin. One would expect a new HC and his coordinators to be in place with sufficient lead time to provide some input into FA decisions. For that to happen, the new guys need some lead time to evaluate the current roster in terms of fit into a new system, or systems if Pettine is not retained, and weigh in on FA signing candidates. The sooner the better, but early Feb. should not be prohibitive.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
How many total coaches were retreads? If that group constituted a percentage lower than 63%, you might have a point.

14 different coaches have won rings since 2000, and 7 were "retreads." Belichick and Coughlin winning multiples accounts for the 12/19 figure.

H

HardRightEdge

Why is Ron Zook not fired yet?
Well, if his contract carries guarantees into next season then there's no advantage in doing so with any haste. It would be a friendly thing to move quickly to give him more time to find a new job. The body is less than 24 hours cold. If this is the circumstance, and the Packers are committed to moving on, and they feel kindness toward Zook, we'll hear about it pretty soon.

If his contract expired after this season, then you can't fire a guy who is not under contract. He might be told to go look for another job, then making a public announcement to that affect provides no advantage to anybody since Zooks agent would be alerted and already on the case.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few quotes from people in the nfl regarding Fitzgerald:
Total stud,” as one long-time NFL scout put it. “I would hire him in a minute. But he’s never leaving Northwestern.”
Hey, I never said he wasn't the right guy for the job :)

We better give him an interview just in case everybody else turns us down...

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Well, when you find your guy, you hire him. So it does not matter if someone else hires him later. I'm looking for a short Italian man. :)

This isn't a dating site !! :sneaky:

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want to see the Packers look at defense oriented coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts