Head Coach interviews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think this interview with Caldwell was more about picking the brain of a coach who had to prepare for and evaluate your team 10 or so times. I don't think either of these 2 are being seriously considered but they are providing very useful outside opinions on what the problems with the team are and what solutions they propose to fix them.

He could be interviewing for HC and they could be thinking of him as an OC candidate too. I remember when the Chargers interviewed Mike McCoy (puke), they had also interviewed Ken Whisenhunt and they ended up hiring both.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh for sure. I could see that.......especially if they hire who I think they are going to hire as HC. That is Fitzgerald and somehow I am warming to that idea even though I thought it was preposterous a few weeks ago.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I think the media likes to pick on Caldwell because he's a boring interview. It's sort of their way of pitching a fit.

He's way, way down my list, but the way people talk about him, you'd think he's never won a game as a head coach.

Agree and as you posted before, he has probably been the most successful Lions coach in a long time. Fontes had a few good years, but if you throw out interim coach Gary Moeller's 4-3 record in 2000, you have to go all the way back to Buddy Parker (1951-1956) to find a Lions coach with a better winning percentage than Caldwell.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Was doing a little Research on Chuck Pagano and found this Gem. Some call it "The Worst Play" ever in the NFL. Colts Kicker Pat McAfee who was on the field during it, talks about the play and what went wrong. This is a case of trying to get "too cute" and what happens when you try to out Belichick the master himself. Not to give away the "ending", but find it funny and a bit alarming, that the HC himself with last second instructions to only one player, was responsible for messing the play up.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Oh for sure. I could see that.......especially if they hire who I think they are going to hire as HC. That is Fitzgerald and somehow I am warming to that idea even though I thought it was preposterous a few weeks ago.

I have no clue why a defensive minded head coach from Northwestern is considered such a front runner, but I know exactly zilch else about him so I won't criticize. We have a couple of Wildcat defensive linemen starting for us right now and playing pretty well so maybe they just like the way he teaches the game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have no clue why a defensive minded head coach from Northwestern is considered such a front runner, but I know exactly zilch else about him so I won't criticize. We have a couple of Wildcat defensive linemen starting for us right now and playing pretty well so maybe they just like the way he teaches the game.

I would be absolutely floored if Fitzgerald chose to leave his alma mater Northwestern. The guy is is a demigod to Wildcat fans, for a program that due to high academic standards was always the doormat in the Big1o prior to him taking the job in 2006. He has found a lot of success there and even an 8 win season is considered the gold standard. His contract runs through 2026, Northwestern just spent $250+ M on a new athletic facility. Base salary of $3.35M, wife and 3 kids, living in the City he grew up in.....I doubt he leaves, unless its to coach the Bears.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could be interviewing for HC and they could be thinking of him as an OC candidate too. I remember when the Chargers interviewed Mike McCoy (puke), they had also interviewed Ken Whisenhunt and they ended up hiring both.
not that i think this new coach is going to change anything but i'd be surprised if the Packers hire OC and DC piecemeal. i think they'll let the HC chose his own guys.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
not that i think this new coach is going to change anything but i'd be surprised if the Packers hire OC and DC piecemeal. i think they'll let the HC chose his own guys.

I'm not talking about him getting forced on a new HC, but he might be desirable as an OC if he doesn't get his own gig.

But if they did hire someone like Pat Fitzgerald, then you figure that they will absolutely need to help him put a staff together because it would appear he has basically zero connections.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People universally scoff at Caldwell, but he's got 5 winning seasons to his name in 7 tries. I realize that Manning had everything to do with his success in Indy, but look at what's happened in Detroit in his absence- he had three winning record seasons there and now without him they're looking at 5 or 6 wins. He's not who I want, but the man is not a joke.

I said it at the end of last season that Detroit was going to be sorry they dumped Caldwell for Patricia, and yup, they're paying for it.

I had actually listed Caldwell as a finalist for our HC vacancy, although he failed to really get a grip on Stafford when he was prone to awful decision making. So, I don't know if he would set Rodgers back on course or not.

Pagano on the other hand, no he took Indy in the wrong direction which is why I don't think he should be considered period.

Last edited:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree and as you posted before, he has probably been the most successful Lions coach in a long time. Fontes had a few good years, but if you throw out interim coach Gary Moeller's 4-3 record in 2000, you have to go all the way back to Buddy Parker (1951-1956) to find a Lions coach with a better winning percentage than Caldwell.
The "best coach in Lions history" is as positive a statement as "having the best venerial disease."

I was harsh on Caldwell but have eased up. I dont know enough about him. Always keep in mind, Belichick got fired from the Browns before going to NE.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The "best coach in Lions history" is as positive a statement as "having the best venerial disease."

I was harsh on Caldwell but have eased up. I dont know enough about him. Always keep in mind, Belichick got fired from the Browns before going to NE.
I don’t want to veer this too far of course, but which would you consider the best disease of the venereal variety? I think the clap holds a special meaning for all sports fans myself.

H

HardRightEdge

No offence to my American friends here but I have JUST read the Rooney rule, What a load of ********. You hire the BEST man for the job surely ??? irrespective of his race, creed, or colour. I'm all in favour of minority rights but what the hell ???
Are you sure you read it? The Rooney rule does not dictate who is hired. It only requires that a minority candidate be interviewed.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't know about "front runner", but he's getting chatted up because (1) it is being reported that he's on the Packers list of candidates and (2) Murphy as NU AD promoted him to head coach. I guess one could throw in the Irish connection, Murphy-Thompson-McCarthy-Fitzgerald. That does not explain Gutekunst, though if the timing were different it might have been Dorsey. ;)

While he may be on the candidate list (or perhaps not), I don't see anybody saying he's taking the interview. All he says is, "I don't comment on rumors." Speaking of rumors, it was reported some years ago that Notre Dame wanted to hire him and he turned down that opportunity to move up the college food chain. As pokerbrat said, he bleeds Northwestern Purple, up to this point anyway, as illustrated below.

Here's a perfect illustration of how the echo chamber works:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/spor...rald-packers-northwestern-20181212-story.html

Not only does Fitzgerald have no NFL experience of any kind, he hardly knows anything other than Northwestern football.
  • He was a two-time winner of both The Bronko Nagurski Award and the Chuck Bednarik Award at MLB for Northwestern as they rose from the ashes in the mid-90's which put him in the Chicago Sports Hall of Fame.
  • He went undrafted, was signed by the Cowboys, cut, tried out with the Saints. He was too slow for the NFL, and ranks pretty high on the list of most decorated college players never able to make an NFL roster.
  • He went into coaching under a couple of his former Northwestern coaches at Maryland and Colorado before returning to NU as a LB coach.
  • Murphy promoted him to NU HC in 2006 where he has been to this day.
Fitzgerald is great college coach operating under the strictures of NU's academic standards.

I do not want the Packers to hire him because I would not want a HC without at least NFL coordinator experience or something close to it.

And I would not want him hired as DC since he has no assistant experience in the NFL.

The NFL is not college football, not by a long shot, in more ways than I care to enumerate.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Are you sure you read it? The Rooney rule does not dictate who is hired. It only requires that a minority candidate be interviewed.

Yes I did read it, I understand what you mean, I just mean if you want a particular man for the job and he is available, I see no point of going through the whole fiasco of wasting others time going through the process.

H

HardRightEdge

Yes I did read it, I understand what you mean, I just mean if you want a particular man for the job and he is available, I see no point of going through the whole fiasco of wasting others time going through the process.
It is a recognition that the league is not color blind, as if that needs to be said. While some old, crusty FO guys or the several owners who made signficant contributions to the Trump campaign, may harbor their prejudices, it is an opportunity to introduce some qualified minority candidates to the younger guys involved in the hiring processes. While no one is so blatent as Donald Sterling, it would be foolish to think the NFL is post-racial.

Prior to the Rooney Rule instituted in 2003 there were 6 minoriy head coaches in NFL history.

This season started with 8.

Teams have and will hire the guy they believe to be the best candidate. Since the Rooney Rule they have somehow discovered more qualfied minority candidates. The rule isn't having much affect in the front office of late. A few years ago there were 7 minority GMs. When Ozzie Newsom retires at the end of the season the head count will be down to 1.

We can take the cynical view that the NFL fears being tagged as the "white fan's game" in the face of changing demographics. Or the even more cynical view that it is PR eye wash. But it is not a "fiasco". It is one interview if that's all a team wants it to be. And they might be surprised and turn it into a second interview.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Could Pettine, Philbin, or any other in house candidates have been interviewed without word leaking out?
Edgar Bennett screwed himself as if he had stayed one more season, he'd might be the interim coach right now.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fitzgerald of Northwestern, according to RotoWorld is on the Packer list. I guess he has done OK with a college team not really known for being great. Anyone know anything about him? Would he bring his own staff? I really want to start over except for Pettine (if he starts staying away from those 2 and 3 man rushes).

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Fitzgerald of Northwestern, according to RotoWorld is on the Packer list. I guess he has done OK with a college team not really known for being great. Anyone know anything about him? Would he bring his own staff? I really want to start over except for Pettine (if he starts staying away from those 2 and 3 man rushes).
really? this thread isn't so long that you couldn't not have read the top of the page with this post
I don't know about "front runner", but he's getting chatted up because (1) it is being reported that he's on the Packers list of candidates and (2) Murphy as NU AD promoted him to head coach....
Any discussion of him rightfully belongs in the other head coach thread until he is actually reported to have interviewed. I would guess he wouldn't do interviews until after his team plays Monday.

Darth Garfunkel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could Pettine, Philbin, or any other in house candidates have been interviewed without word leaking out?
Edgar Bennett screwed himself as if he had stayed one more season, he'd might be the interim coach right now.
I would think that's a possibility. I'd like to see Pettine get an interview at least. Get a defensive minded head coach with an OC that Aaron likes to run the offense.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just mean if you want a particular man for the job and he is available, I see no point of going through the whole fiasco of wasting others time going through the process.
I recall a minority coach years ago saying that he resented interviewing for a job just for policy, when the team knew all along they were going to hire someone else.
I remember having a similar feeling one time when I interviewed for a position, and then found out afterwards it was their intent all along to just transfer another administrative person into that spot. But policy called for interviews. It made me angry because, as you noted, it was a waste of my time (and theirs). I spent precious time preparing for that interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.