Head Coach interviews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Fitz. The biggest issue here is he's got it made at NW. Guy grew up local, coaching Alma mater, whole clan including self huge bears fans.

I would love to say most college coaches would jump for the opportunity to coach pro, let alone GB, but this feels like a bad fit for him ( not us). Best thing going is we have some front office ties to him if I read correctly.

What would your family say if you accepted a job working for the bears? Some would be happy, I gotta guess many would blow him ****. I know I would feel dirty doing it.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fitzgerald and the Wildcats just dropped 28 pts to Utah's 0 to start the 2nd half.

Sweet.. we can continue the tradition of looking horrible in one half and good in the other. ;)

I think Fitzgerald will interview out of respect for Murphy, but just don't see him leaving the Chicago area. Guy is pretty much setup for a Barry Alvarez like tenure there...

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They said money is not an issue at Northwestern and they will pay whatever it takes. As much as he loves that job, city, team they have a low ceiling. He will never be in a college playoff there and will have to settle for 3 star recruits and above average but not great seasons. Competitors want a challenge, not complacency. I think he will seriously consider it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Is there a single post with all the names?

Wonder if I missed any.

So far:
  • Jim Caldwell
  • Chuck Pagano
  • Josh McDaniels
  • Dan Campbell
  • Mike Munchak
  • Brian Flores
  • Pat Fitzgerald
  • Matt LaFleur
If rumors are to be believed, there should be around 4-6 more names that emerge during the process.

I like Dan Campbell and Matt LaFleur, though neither would be my first choice.

I find Mike Munchak intersting.

I'm not excited about Caldwell, Pagano, or Fitzgerald.

I would hate the hire of McDaniels or Flores.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I did not word it real well. I meant that if we interview somebody and that person really sticks out...hire him on the spot. If we did not do that and that guy is hired by someone else; he really was not what we were looking for in the first place. I suppose it is possible that that person ends up being the best of who we interviewed. Can't do much about that. I think it is better to wait for the coach who really clicks in the interview.

I thought I read somewhere that McCarthy was not at the top of Teds list but was so impressed with McCarthy's interview that he offered him the job. Something to that affect anyway not that Ted would ever say
So far:
  • Jim Caldwell
  • Chuck Pagano
  • Josh McDaniels
  • Dan Campbell
  • Mike Munchak
  • Brian Flores
  • Pat Fitzgerald
  • Matt LaFleur
If rumors are to be believed, there should be around 4-6 more names that emerge during the process.

I like Dan Campbell and Matt LaFleur, though neither would be my first choice.

I find Mike Munchak intersting.

I'm not excited about Caldwell, Pagano, or Fitzgerald.

I would hate the hire of McDaniels or Flores.

Why not McDaniels? Is it because of what he did to the Colts last year or is there more to it? Just curious I kinda feel the same way.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere that McCarthy was not at the top of Teds list but was so impressed with McCarthy's interview that he offered him the job. Something to that affect anyway not that Ted would ever say

Why not McDaniels? Is it because of what he did to the Colts last year or is there more to it? Just curious I kinda feel the same way.

A few reasons.

Belichick's coaching tree is trash. No one has accomplished anything after getting hired out of New England. Bill O'Brien's marginally above average performance is the high water mark.

McDaniels has already proven to be consistent with the trend of NE assistants. He flopped in Denver. He was the Rams' OC for one season and they scored 12 points per game (TWELVE!). Meanwhile, the Patriots offense didn't skip a beat without him.

His tenure in Denver wasn't just a failure (lots of great coaches fail their first time around)-- it was dramatic. He created a massive rift with his quarterback immediately, had to trade him, and lost the team after a hot start (after a 6 win streak to start 2009, he went 5-18 before a mid season 2010 firing.

And yes, his actions last off-season were totally bush league. We obviously don't know the whole story, but the hiring of his DC choice clearly demonstrates that he had agreed to be the coach. Then he backed out like a spineless sleezeball. Good for the Colts-- they landed a great coach and missed out on a future failure.

He's a fraud who has ridden Belichick and Brady's coattails to notariety.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few reasons.

Belichick's coaching tree is trash. No one has accomplished anything after getting hired out of New England. Bill O'Brien's marginally above average performance is the high water mark.

McDaniels has already proven to be consistent with the trend of NE assistants. He flopped in Denver. He was the Rams' OC for one season and they scored 12 points per game (TWELVE!). Meanwhile, the Patriots offense didn't skip a beat without him.

His tenure in Denver wasn't just a failure (lots of great coaches fail their first time around)-- it was dramatic. He created a massive rift with his quarterback immediately, had to trade him, and lost the team after a hot start (after a 6 win streak to start 2009, he went 5-18 before a mid season 2010 firing.

And yes, his actions last off-season were totally bush league. We obviously don't know the whole story, but the hiring of his DC choice clearly demonstrates that he had agreed to be the coach. Then he backed out like a spineless sleezeball. Good for the Colts-- they landed a great coach and missed out on a future failure.

This is why I'm not crazy about him or Brian Flores. Granted Flores hasn't been in the spotlight as much, but how does being a DC in Bellichek's house for one season suddenly make you HC material? I'm telling you some crazy NFL scam artist mastermind creates phony head coach candidates around here and it's ridiculous.

Now, I hope Murphy was watching what A&M did tonight in their bowl game and starts ringing Jimbo Fisher's phone and selling him on coming to Green Bay. The man beats his opponents cuz he runs an NFL type offense

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
They're interviewing LaFleur. I have mixed opinions. His pedigree is top notch having worked under Jay Gruden, Kyle Shanahan, and Sean McVay. However, his offense in Tennessee kind of flopped.
I was liking the idea of LeFleur and than I read an article that kind of broke down "his success", I should of bookmarked it. But it pointed out that most of this success has been him working under someone who was more directly related to the success.

LeFleur might get along well with Rodgers, I guess his basic philosophy is that dinking and dunking isn't the way to have a successful offense, but explosive and big chunk plays are the way to go.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, in a moment like that when you just won a big game and you're focused on enjoying that, I doubt you're thinking at all about any NFL opportunities. Plus, he would have more class than to damp the moment for his players by saying "oh by the way guys, I'm going to the NFL now, good bye." But like everyone else, I highly doubt he just shut the door. Bill O'Brien said the same thing at Penn State but saw the opportunity and got sold on it.

Chances are pretty good Fitz likes what he's doing right now and would rather keep coaching college than go pro, but I wouldn't quite say he's totally ruled it out because most HC's on any level will tell you, you just don't ever say never.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Henry is lazy and lacks motivation. If he ran that way the entire season, he could've been the NFL rushing leader. I think he wasn't well conditioned to begin the season, which is mind boggling since it's his job to perform on the field. The laziness is due to the fact, he didn't utilize OTA's, training camp, and preseason to get into shape for the season. The O-Line remains the same, the number of carries were available, and his role was featured to begin the season. Henry was slipping and Lewis carried the load that shouldn't have been his to begin with. Lazy!

It's Nick Saban's fault. I'm pretty sure he gives his RBs bags full of tacos as soon as they get drafted. I mean, really seriously it seems like way more than coincidence when you see this trend happen with Richardson, Lacy, Yeldon and now Henry with only Mark Ingram not falling in these problems. Telling you, Nick Saban has to be ******** with his player diets.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a very weird trend that many of his players don't care that much about football once they get to the league and cash a few checks. Dix might not be fat but he is only playing for the check. Look at the tape on him and take notice of how he goes OUT OF HIS WAY to avoid contact.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It is a very weird trend that many of his players don't care that much about football once they get to the league and cash a few checks. Dix might not be fat but he is only playing for the check. Look at the tape on him and take notice of how he goes OUT OF HIS WAY to avoid contact.

Every school produces players with that mentality. It's not unique to Alabama. It seems like a bigger deal there because they put so many guys in the league to begin with, and thus they naturally have more players of all motivational makeup.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There seems to be some active dislike of McDaniels on this board. Is it because of the way he walked out on Indianapolis, or is it something else?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There seems to be some active dislike of McDaniels on this board. Is it because of the way he walked out on Indianapolis, or is it something else?

Below

A few reasons.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like McDaniels as an X's and O's coach. I am scared of his ability to lead. I thought the Indy thing was Bill and Kraft using him to screw over the team that called the league police on them.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every school produces players with that mentality. It's not unique to Alabama. It seems like a bigger deal there because they put so many guys in the league to begin with, and thus they naturally have more players of all motivational makeup.

Bama definitely the worst track record of RBs getting poorly conditioned in the NFL more than any other college in history. That very much is unique to Bama and it is Saban's fault. There is not one other school, not one who sees its RBs crater like that.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He had the worst HC record in Denver Bronco history and sunk the Rams high powered offense in the toilet. His pom pom waving rakkettes Bayless and Cowherd ignore this.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been banging the McDaniels drum a few weeks now, but I had a convo today that altered my perspective a bit. For very valid and actual reasons.

Living in Indy, I watched last year play out locally. Didn't phase my opinion until today and not for the reason you think...

One thing I had not considered, but is very true ( they made a pretty big deal about it when looking for option 2 in Frank *****)...

Indy hired a coach willing to keep the assistants they had already agreed to hire... For McDaniels.

His assistant coaches.

They are all in Indy.

One would think he was putting his best coaches together for a run in Indy. They stayed. Anyone he gets now is going to be not his 1st choice.

Small detail. Big deal.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Indy hired a coach willing to keep the assistants they had already agreed to hire... For McDaniels.

His assistant coaches.

They are all in Indy.
I remember this also, since I'm in Indiana. But Indy is doing pretty well right now. Maybe that means he's good at selecting assisting coaches?
As for his previous stints, remember Belichick failed in Cleveland too.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have been banging the McDaniels drum a few weeks now, but I had a convo today that altered my perspective a bit. For very valid and actual reasons.

Living in Indy, I watched last year play out locally. Didn't phase my opinion until today and not for the reason you think...

One thing I had not considered, but is very true ( they made a pretty big deal about it when looking for option 2 in Frank *****)...

His assistant coaches.

They are all in Indy.

One would think he was putting his best coaches together for a run in Indy. They stayed. Anyone he gets now is going to be not his 1st choice.

Small detail. Big deal.
I would imagine there are some coaches out there who wont consider talking to him because of that, decreasing his selection pool even more. If you are a highly qualified and sought after coach, are you going to hitch your wagon to the best HC situation you can. He might not be the 1st choice based on his flaky incident.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Bama definitely the worst track record of RBs getting poorly conditioned in the NFL more than any other college in history. That very much is unique to Bama and it is Saban's fault. There is not one other school, not one who sees its RBs crater like that.

Nonsense. There are two examples: Eddie Lacy and Trent Richardson. And they have backs drafted basically every season. You don't see conditioning issues for Ingram, Yeldon, Drake, or Henry. This is a baseless conclusion.

I could cherry pick Leonard Fournette and Jeremy Hill and say the same exact thing about LSU backs as long as I ignore everyone else.

D

Deleted member 6794

I know Rodgers and McCarthy butted heads later on, and sure Rodgers's contract might pose as a bit of a warning sign, kinda hope he considers cutting it a little.

There's no way the Packers approach Rodgers about restructuring his contract or him agreeing to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.