Head Coach interviews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
OK, I just removed all the posts that had absolutely nothing to do with the two (so far) reported interviews. This will NOT be a thread for speculating, preferences, or rehashing of who was injured for what game in whatever season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
People universally scoff at Caldwell, but he's got 5 winning seasons to his name in 7 tries. I realize that Manning had everything to do with his success in Indy, but look at what's happened in Detroit in his absence- he had three winning record seasons there and now without him they're looking at 5 or 6 wins. He's not who I want, but the man is not a joke.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
OK, I just removed all the posts that had absolutely nothing to do with the two (so far) reported interviews. This will NOT be a thread for speculating, preferences, or rehashing of who was injured for what game in whatever season.

So we are being censored now? With all due respect Poppa, I though speculation and preferences (opinions) were kind of the underlying theme of this forum? Maybe I misinterpreted what you did, but if the Mods have decided that they have the power and desire to censor anything they deem "off topic", do you really want to go there?

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So we are being censored now? With all due respect Poppa, I though speculation and preferences (opinions) were kind of the underlying theme of this forum? Maybe I misinterpreted what you did, but if the Mods have decided that they have the power and desire to censor anything they deem "off topic", do you really want to go there?
Actually.. You ever read the rules?

[NOTE] This post is subject to change without notice or warning... We reserve the right to edit and or delete posts from members when we feel it is warranted

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

[NOTE] This post is subject to change without notice or warning... We reserve the right to edit and or delete posts from members when we feel it is warranted
I don’t think Poker’s response is about the rules per se... Of course you CAN do pretty much whatever you want. But the reality is that this forum would be pretty boring without the members. Frankly it gets pretty boring anyway sometimes. Those of us that come back regularly are hoping to see something new sometimes. Over moderation stifles the free flow of ideas and will ultimately chase us away. I’m really not trying to be be a pain. I like this forum and most of the people in it, but often do feel like there is this strange dynamic going on that discourages some of the more interesting conversations.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Yes, I read the rules when I first joined. Honestly, as a mod, you have full power to do just about anything you want and that is fine, you earned it. But as swhitset said, if you want to take that to an extreme and censor anyone that speaks out of turn or off topic, you not only will probably chase many of us away, but you just quadrupled your duties, since I expect it will be a consistent policy.

Since they are not the easiest thing to find......

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/full-list-of-rules-must-read-for-members.29585/

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I read the rules when I first joined. Honestly, as a mod, you have full power to do just about anything you want and that is fine, you earned it. But as swhitset said, if you want to take that to an extreme and censor anyone that speaks out of turn or off topic, you not only will probably chase many of us away, but you just quadrupled your duties, since I expect it will be a consistent policy.

Since they are not the easiest thing to find......

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/full-list-of-rules-must-read-for-members.29585/
My post was tounge in cheek type, sorry if it came across as anything more

This thread should only be about head coaches.. This is way way diff than any other type of thread ..other threads will steer away and we respect that and don't bother messing with those in general

But this is so unique it has to remain true

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People universally scoff at Caldwell, but he's got 5 winning seasons to his name in 7 tries. I realize that Manning had everything to do with his success in Indy, but look at what's happened in Detroit in his absence- he had three winning record seasons there and now without him they're looking at 5 or 6 wins. He's not who I want, but the man is not a joke.
I didn't scoff

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you are being censored. Every post here is censored by a mod. That is why we are here. It is a very rare post(er) that needs any action. As to the missing posts they weren't deleted, just moved to the existing thread that did discuss all those subjects. As was later said,
Posts have been moved before, just not 4 pages at once. More rarely they have just been deleted.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I scoffed. I will admit it. The Detroit Lions Stank is tough to get off once you become associated with the Lions. I actually changed my rank to "No" from "Hell NO!" after I made the comment. I'm about where you are. There are guys I would prefer, but if I was Murphy and Gute, I would bring him in to see what he had to say.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

No offence to my American friends here but I have JUST read the Rooney rule, What a load of ********. You hire the BEST man for the job surely ??? irrespective of his race, creed, or colour. I'm all in favour of minority rights but what the hell ???

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
But the reality is that this forum would be pretty boring without the members.
I thought this was a funny line. For an example of a forum with no members go to

www.nothing2see.blankscreen.com/forums

Or just stare at a blank wall in your house. same effect.

Looks like your post hijacked the thread. Maybe they should be moved to a thread discussing rules????

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No offence to my American friends here but I have JUST read the Rooney rule, What a load of ********. You hire the BEST man for the job surely ??? irrespective of his race, creed, or colour. I'm all in favour of minority rights but what the hell ???
Unfortunately we live in a country where you have to force people to consider people of color an equal or worthy of something more. I think the rule is silly on the surface, but then there are a lot people that can't see past skin color in all levels in this country. It makes no mention of who you MUST hire, but it does force teams to consider candidates they might not for something as trivial as skin color. One only has to take an hour in the morning to peruse some social media reactions to see that racism is alive and well in this country. Once and a great while, when people are forced to look at something, someone, or some place else than they usually look, they see things are different than what they had thought. and they grow.

anyway, I think by forcing teams to consider others it has opened some doors and opportunity. Hopefully in time it won't be needed anymore as people learn that intelligence and ability to lead aren't connected to the handful of genes that control melanin production.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Unfortunately we live in a country where you have to force people to consider people of color an equal or worthy of something more. I think the rule is silly on the surface, but then there are a lot people that can't see past skin color in all levels in this country. It makes no mention of who you MUST hire, but it does force teams to consider candidates they might not for something as trivial as skin color. One only has to take an hour in the morning to peruse some social media reactions to see that racism is alive and well in this country. Once and a great while, when people are forced to look at something, someone, or some place else than they usually look, they see things are different than what they had thought. and they grow.

anyway, I think by forcing teams to consider others it has opened some doors and opportunity. Hopefully in time it won't be needed anymore as people learn that intelligence and ability to lead aren't connected to the handful of genes that control melanin production.

It is a great shame, which was why I apologised for any offence a damn foreigner criticising your laws. IF you know who you think is your best option, I can't understand why you even have to interview others in the first place. Reading the 2003 Detroit Lions ruling it seems the Afro American candidates took THEMSELVES out of the running on supposition and yet Detroit got fined ? ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a great shame, which was why I apologised for any offence a damn foreigner criticising your laws. IF you know who you think is your best option, I can't understand why you even have to interview others in the first place. Reading the 2003 Detroit Lions ruling it seems the Afro American candidates took THEMSELVES out of the running on supposition and yet Detroit got fined ? ridiculous.
It's ok, I'm critical of the way you guys spell and talk :) But like all positions, there are probably multiple people qualified to do it well and you always uncover things about people when you take a closer look. Some good, some bad. I think there is a balance in casting a wide net, but staying focused. I mean, if you have to interview 73 people, do you really know what you're looking for in the first place? I have to imagine there are at least 10-15 people that can and will be interviewed for this position. I don't know much at Chuck and don't really have an opinion. he doesn't make me feel all optimistic about things. But I do like Caldwell and think he could be the guy,I've said it before, but having an offensive HC that is the massager off this offense and is the liason between a strong front office (Gute will cut you :) )and the locker room, paired with a good DC like Pettine could be the formula that makes this team go.

It could be a strong quiet central figure like John Harbaugh. Could be a couple different types of coaches. I don't particularly think a loud, in your face, lay the emotions out in the media type coach would go over well with the core of this team.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No problem. Criticize all you want.

In a nutshell, some people are racists and consider your skin color when evaluating a person when hiring. Therefore we have the Rooney rule which requires everyone to consider skin color when hiring.

No mention in the Rooney rule about asians and/or eskimos. Every team should have to interview at least 1 asian and 1 eskimo as these races have NEVER had a head coach.

Racism ends when you think of me as a man and not a black man. And black men think of themselves as men and not black men.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No problem. Criticize all you want.

In a nutshell, some people are racists and consider your skin color when evaluating a person when hiring. Therefore we have the Rooney rule which requires everyone to consider skin color when hiring.

No mention in the Rooney rule about asians and/or eskimos. Every team should have to interview at least 1 asian and 1 eskimo as these races have NEVER had a head coach.

Racism ends when you think of me as a man and not a black man. And black men think of themselves as men and not black men.
actually the rooney rule is about considering "minority" coaches. So that includes Asians and Inuits :)

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
actually the rooney rule is about considering "minority" coaches. So that includes Asians and Inuits :)
Well, obviously the Rooney Rule is not working. Until we have a female asian who eats muktuk the rule obviously isnt working. We need a special rule for minorities WITHIN the minority. It's only fair.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, obviously the Rooney Rule is not working. Until we have a female asian who eats muktuk the rule obviously isnt working. We need a special rule for minorities WITHIN the minority. It's only fair.
careful what you wish for

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My post was tounge in cheek type, sorry if it came across as anything more

This thread should only be about head coaches.. This is way way diff than any other type of thread ..other threads will steer away and we respect that and don't bother messing with those in general

Like I have been saying, I guess we need a sarcasm emoji, since I missed your post being tongue in cheek. ;)

Glad to see the thread has carried on in a threads normal fashion, discussion of the Rooney Rule, funny comments sprinkled in and no urgent need to stick to the main topic by posters or over steer it by mods. :coffee:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s a good attribute to have. From parent, teacher, coach, dog trainer, etc. find what works, be consistent and you’ll be successful.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
true. the more i've read about him, as an OC and HC, the more i consider him legit. the only thing i knew of him was the blank look he had whenever they showed him on the sidelines at det.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
true. the more i've read about him, as an OC and HC, the more i consider him legit. the only thing i knew of him was the blank look he had whenever they showed him on the sidelines at det.

That puzzled look of bewilderment seems to be a common trait among Lions coaches....must be a special club?

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this interview with Caldwell was more about picking the brain of a coach who had to prepare for and evaluate your team 10 or so times. I don't think either of these 2 are being seriously considered but they are providing very useful outside opinions on what the problems with the team are and what solutions they propose to fix them.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think the media likes to pick on Caldwell because he's a boring interview. It's sort of their way of pitching a fit.

He's way, way down my list, but the way people talk about him, you'd think he's never won a game as a head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.