Head Coach interviews thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough. Although, it wasn't the offense that sunk this season or past seasons, including the Super Bowl loss. Quinn is supposed to be a defensive coach. The defense hasn't performed under his watch. If he fails, might make more sense to hand the reins to an offensive minded coach and play to the strengths of the team. IMO.

What I don't understand is why Quinn didn't just bump LaFleur up to Shanahan's spot after he left Atlanta. Made no sense to go pick up Sarkisian and get a new QB coach to boot.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
What I don't understand is why Quinn didn't just bump LaFleur up to Shanahan's spot after he left Atlanta. Made no sense to go pick up Sarkisian and get a new QB coach to boot.

Unless LaFleur just isn't that impressive? I'm not claiming to know, but whether is was under Gruden, Shanahan, or McVay, it's possible to attribute the offensive success that LaFleur has seen to a higher ranking coach. And his work in Tennessee wasn't amazing. Maybe he was just dealt a bad hand, but it's also possible that he's a so-so coach with a phenomenal pedigree.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It appears McDaniels wants the Cleveland Browns job. He's very excited to interview with them. That's fine. I've cooled on him.

Funny Mr Rodell kept saying it's Green Bay or Boston. Oh well, hope he does get it so at least it's them having buyer's remorse and not us.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless LaFleur just isn't that impressive? I'm not claiming to know, but whether is was under Gruden, Shanahan, or McVay, it's possible to attribute the offensive success that LaFleur has seen to a higher ranking coach. And his work in Tennessee wasn't amazing. Maybe he was just dealt a bad hand, but it's also possible that he's a so-so coach with a phenomenal pedigree.

Continuity my friend, continuity. LaFleur being a close friend of Shanahan's probably would have continued doing things the same way instead of hitting guard rails with play calling and stinking in the red zone the way Sarkisian did.

Now who knows, maybe LaFleur was offered a promotion in Atlanta and didn't take it. But it would have been wise to do so. I feel like he had a favorable hand of cards he would have been dealt, and had he taken them and gotten a few years of OC play calling under his belt, he'd be more sure of a lock for HC right now.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Per Demovsky, the first round of interviews is done and the team will convene tomorrow to decide who comes back for 2nd interviews. This would obviously mean that the list of candidates is complete. Here it is:
  1. Jim Caldwell, Former DET HC
  2. Chuck Pagano, Former IND HC
  3. Joe Philbin, Interim GB HC
  4. Josh McDaniels, NE OC
  5. Brian Flores, NE DC
  6. Dan Campbell, NO TE/AHC
  7. Pete Carmichael, NO OC
  8. Todd Monken, TB OC
  9. Matt LaFleur, TEN OC
  10. Mike Munchak, PIT OL
  11. Adam Gase, Former MIA HC
I believe that's everyone. Pat Fitzgerald turned down the interview, so he would be the 12th candidate (they advertised 12-14). Given how wide of a net they're casting, I can't figure out why they aren't even talking to Eric Bieniemy or Kris Richard.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think they are finished. I believe they have a few more?just haven’t been able to get to them yet. I wish they would go to Ann Arbor:(

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Bruce Arians has interviewed for the Bucs after saying he was not interested in Green Bay and was only interested in the Browns' job. Hmm.

That should disqualify him instantly right, I mean he said he would only be interested in the Browns now he is interested in the Bucs. How can he do that? How can you trust a guy like that? He backed out on the only the Browns. What a jerk. I tell you one thing If Bruce Airens says he is only interested in your team you had better get it in writing because he just might become interested in another team later on.

I'm bilingual. I speak proper English and have to write in American too.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I think the modersators have been taking funny pills today

Some of the posters too apparently.;)

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Per Demovsky, the first round of interviews is done and the team will convene tomorrow to decide who comes back for 2nd interviews. This would obviously mean that the list of candidates is complete. Here it is:
  1. Jim Caldwell, Former DET HC
  2. Chuck Pagano, Former IND HC
  3. Joe Philbin, Interim GB HC
  4. Josh McDaniels, NE OC
  5. Brian Flores, NE DC
  6. Dan Campbell, NO TE/AHC
  7. Pete Carmichael, NO OC
  8. Todd Monken, TB OC
  9. Matt LaFleur, TEN OC
  10. Mike Munchak, PIT OL
  11. Adam Gase, Former MIA HC
I believe that's everyone. Pat Fitzgerald turned down the interview, so he would be the 12th candidate (they advertised 12-14). Given how wide of a net they're casting, I can't figure out why they aren't even talking to Eric Bieniemy or Kris Richard.

Guys I'd cross off immediately if it was me (with my limited knowledge):
  • Brian Flores
  • Jim Caldwell
  • Joe Philbin
Guys I have mixed feelings about:
  • Josh McDaniels: OC resume on paper is great, but the coaching tree sucks and he's a shady character.
  • Mike Munchak: The immense respect he has in league circles must come from somewhere, but it's hard to discern what he tangibly offers.
  • Matt LaFleur: His coaching pedigree is great, but I'd prefer to see some actual OC success before hiring.
  • Adam Gase: He's perhaps the best pure offensive mind on the list, but was the issue in MIA just the Dolphins or does he have Todd Haley people skills?
Guys I like:
  • Chuck Pagano: Has an impressive HC resume, was undermined by a horrific GM.
  • Dan Campbell and/or Pete Carmichael: I can't discern which is more responsible for the success in NO in recent years, so they have to suss that out. Somehow getting both would be a major coup.
  • Todd Monken: Runs a dangerous offense and is an excellent play caller.
I should mention-- if I could somehow know that Gase's issues in Miami were really just clashes with one of the worst owners in sports and some divas who wanted to be bigger than the team, he'd be right at the top of my list. But I obviously can't know that.

On Monken and LaFleur... it's interesting to me that the latter gets so much more love when his work as an OC is so much less impressive than the former's. Monken's offense turned 36 YO Ryan Fitzpatrick into this:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don’t think they are finished. I believe they have a few more?just haven’t been able to get to them yet. I wish they would go to Ann Arbor:(

Maybe, but this is what Demovsky reported:

Packers wrap up on-the-road interviews today with Matt LaFleur and Adam Gase and are expected to reconvene Monday to decide who to bring to Green Bay for 2nd interviews. Josh McDaniels, one of the first interviews this weekend, remains very much a possibility, I'm told.

Southside

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As someone mentioned................

Packers wrap up on-the-road interviews today with Matt LaFleur and Adam Gase and are expected to reconvene Monday to decide who to bring to Green Bay for 2nd interviews. Josh McDaniels, one of the first interviews this weekend, remains very much a possibility, I'm told.

Rob Demovsky, ESPN Staff Writer4h ago

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am not disputing the post,but Demovsky may not be privy to everything Gute and Murphy are doing. Just stating an opinion,not facts nor bashing another poster

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am not disputing the post,but Demovsky may not be privy to everything Gute and Murphy are doing. Just stating an opinion,not facts nor bashing another poster

No, not at all. I didn't take it that way.

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this is a thread and I know this a message board but as Packers fans can we collectively say around (75-80) percent of us would go the McDaniels or (insert name here) route... Understand Rodgers will be done by 40 he won't want to play anymore.. 5 years let's get a coach to just implement a high power offense to make this machine run... Striking gold with 3 HOF QBs is rare.... Bring the best guy in and let's roll with it...

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny Mr Rodell kept saying it's Green Bay or Boston. Oh well, hope he does get it so at least it's them having buyer's remorse and not us.
Rodell said McDaniels wanted Cleveland, but Cleveland wasn't interested in him.
Now reports are the Browns do have some interest in him, so we'll see what happens.

I don't know who the Packers are looking to pick here (they may not know themselves), but I'll be miffed if their top choice turns them down to go somewhere else.
Even though they could get lucky with that.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I know this is a thread and I know this a message board but as Packers fans can we collectively say around (75-80) percent of us would go the McDaniels or (insert name here) route... Understand Rodgers will be done by 40 he won't want to play anymore.. 5 years let's get a coach to just implement a high power offense to make this machine run... Striking gold with 3 HOF QBs is rare.... Bring the best guy in and let's roll with it...

The problem with that is that people take it for granted that McDaniels will install a high powered offense, but he's never done that outside of New England. That begs the question-- how much of the success there is attributable to him?

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rooney Rule activated....and completed
As a black man I wish there were more black head coaches but unfortunately they interviewed Caldwell just to say they tried. But he us nowehere near the answer. Even though I think there are good black coaches out there that could do the job well. I must admit though it does kind of sting the way you put it so bluntly with the activated and completed thing. Becayse again I think there are genuinely good black coaches out there.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at these subpar coaches is a bad look. Caldwell interview was fine just to end the moronic Rooney Rule, but Pagano? Are you ******* kidding me? A fine candidate will probably be thinking 'these clown shows are interviewing for the job? Maybe this isn't the place for me.'

Take this process seriously Gute and Murphy, you look terrible right now. This is the place where Lombardi coached, not the Cincinnati Bengals. Get your **** together.
I dont think the Rooney rule is moronic there are plenty of good black head coaching candidates out there over the years who were never considered because they were black. I just hate the fact that instwad of interviewing a real canadate the interview Caldwell and that is a joke there are plenty of good black potential coaches out there.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
As a black man I wish there were more black head coaches but unfortunately they interviewed Caldwell just to say they tried. But he us nowehere near the answer. Even though I think there are good black coaches out there that could do the job well. I must admit though it does kind of sting the way you put it so bluntly with the activated and completed thing. Becayse again I think there are genuinely good black coaches out there.

They should absolutely have interviewed Bieniemy and Richard based solely on merit.

TornSolace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In actuality no. But he'd always be compared to Ray Rhodes, who didn't exactly set a high bar for leadership and control. It would depend more on the comfort level of his family living in an area that is less than 3% black. Blacks are 4th in the minority percentages behind hispanics, native tribal members and hmong/other asians. Whites are just over 80%. The closest area with a significantly higher black ratio would be Milwaukee, about a 2 hour drive from GreenBay. Which is why players that get busted in highway stops are usually someplace in between the two cities.

That sounds like an excuse to me I'm black and if the job was right and the money right id take the job as a black man you get used to white people being everywhere.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think the Rooney rule is moronic there are plenty of good black head coaching candidates out there over the years who were never considered because they were black. I just hate the fact that instwad of interviewing a real canadate the interview Caldwell and that is a joke there are plenty of good black potential coaches out there.

There are a fair amount of good black coaches, Caldwell isn't one of them. In the current situation this Caldwell interview seemed to only happen because they wanted to get the 1 black coach interview over with just so it's completed say they want to hire a can't miss guy (in management's eyes) tomorrow. It really just wastes everybody's time here.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Interestingly, some lines out of Vegas have given Caldwell the 3rd best odds to get the job behind only McDaniels and LaFleur. Maybe it wasn't just a token interview?

Status
Not open for further replies.