Goodbye Donald & Greg

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am extremely sad to see the end of the Donald Driver era. Tears sad.

PLAY THE SONG.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I remember vividly, 1999 training camp & preseason, with this 213rd pick from Alcorn, the skinny-legged but always hustling, Donald Driver.
He was a longshot to make the team, but there he was hustling and working hard, and he made the team.
The rest is history.

Now he's played 14 years, although some would say one or two too many.
Not me though. Whatever they paid him this year for what little he did, was well worth it.

Now the money they paid Capers maybe (top-5 DC money), that can be questioned.

Jennings seems more than willing to leave. I haven't liked his attitude and obviously his sister was a disgrace. Certainly she didn't come up with all the ideas by her stupid self.

I would suspect that Greg has mentioned that his heart is set on Miami.... whatever, who knows.
But he's only been a Packer since 2006 so it's a much shorter run than Donald.I haven't been to a game at Lambeau since the 2006 opener against the Bears, which happened to be Jennings (and McCarthy) first ever game.

But we have too much $ we will need to tie up to the 2 Pac-10 superstars Matthews & Rodgers.

And probably Raji.

There's a longshot chance that we franchise Jennings, but I don't see it with the capability of Jones, Cobb, and Jordy plus the 2 good looking youngsters in Boykin & Jeremy Ross.
Plus he'd be unhappy about that tag. I don't like unhappy players. I'd like to tag & trade him though to get something for him on the defensive side of the ball.

How about Jennings & Capers to Pittsburgh for a few years of **** Lebeau as DC?
Or to Miami for Cameron Wake, and then promote Greene or Perry to DC.

Anyway, very sad to realize that we've probably seen the last of Donald & Greg. It makes me very sad to say goodbye to Donald, and Greg.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer will not franchise Jennings. They will let him walk.
I agree; well, they may try. But Jennings sure as s**t won't sign a Franchise Tag. He's practically said as much publicly in the last few weeks. Actually the way he has talked about his future in regards to the Packers Organization it gives some credibility to his sisters' comments on the subject. Jennings has basically said the same things though he's been a bit more veiled about it. (Of course I'm excluding the comments specific to Aaron Rodgers.)

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Jennings enjoys every minute of the reality check he is in for when he sees how low the offers are. His value of himself this past year has been off the charts.

I wish nothing but the best for Driver. He was a class act the entire way through and a hell of a player.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope Jennings enjoys every minute of the reality check he is in for when he sees how low the offers are. His value of himself this past year has been off the charts.

I wish nothing but the best for Driver. He was a class act the entire way through and a hell of a player.

Too many motivational notes under the armpit.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FrankRizzo said:
Jennings seems more than willing to leave. I haven't liked his attitude...

Probably from that quote where he said "nothing" would be the hardest part about leaving GB. I repeat, don't take that at face value. His team just got the boot with extreme prejudice, and he feels like the organization doesn't want him. He's hurt, so he said something hurtful. That's human. I highly doubt he means that.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately Jennings does not realize what Driver knew. Getting paid more to play for a non contending team isn't fun.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, but in this economy, every dollar counts.
Old Spice won't be interested in a guy playing for a losing team with an average or below average qb.

The grass will not be greener for him when he is the #1 wr on a team with other bad wr's and he won't have the mvp throwing him the ball either. He didn't get double teamed when guys like Jordy and JJ and Driver and Cobb were out there running routes along side him. He will get double teamed all the time now. I also don't think its a big deal when he gets 5 catches for 60 yds and the pack wins or 3 for 30. When he is "the man" at his new team the fans will demand he deliver 100 yd games every week.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The following is a post that I wrote over on Seahawks.net back on December 20th advocating the idea that their team may consider Jennings in the Off-Season. I've taken out most of the stuff speaking directly about how he'd fit in with the Seahawks since it is not so relevant here. Though if you'd like to read the post in its entirety you can do so here since the post is in a public forum.

On the injury front he is not all that injury prone, last year he had a hamstring issue, but a lot of big name receivers also had an issue with hamstrings last year *cough*Andre Johnson/ Miles Austin/ Julio Jones*cough* And this year the groin injury that kept him out so long really wasn't completely due to the injury itself, but rather that the surgery had to be postponed because of Hurricane Sandy (Doctor and facilities were located on East Coast), and also because the injury was initially misdiagnosed by the Packers' training staff.

Through six years with the Packers Jennings has never started less than 11 games in a season (Rookie year), and has played in 13 or more games every year with the exclusion of this year. In the 3 year stretch (08-10) that he played in all 16 games he averaged 1223.3 receiving yards, 8 TD's, and 75 catches through that three year span. And posted averages of 16.2, 16.4, and 16.6 yards per catch respectively. Also that three year span was book ended by two 13 games played, and started, season in which he posted yardage in the mid 900 range. [all stats taken from his player page on: Jennings' NFL player profile.

Personally I think that the Seahawks WR core would greatly benefit from the ability to pick Jennings' brain, the guy is one of the most intelligent receivers I've seen play the game. Plus as a Packer fan, I'd just love to be able to head over to CenturyLink on Sundays to see one of my favorite players from the last decade play. This year has by far been his worst year for Jennings, and if you look at his career numbers [it] is basically a statistical anomaly, please don't judge his ability solely on this year's production.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
No, but in this economy, every dollar counts.

If he seriously cant live on money he has earned, then thats sad..

he earned 16 mill for sure and prob around 20 mill total if not more..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4284112

I know he has to pay agents, and taxes (believe he has to pay state taxes for every state he has played a game in) so what his salary was, can be cut in half.

He got over 10 mill just from the Packers...Plus his old spice..plus $ he earned before the extension in 09..

The excuse every penny counts in this economy is silly..

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If he seriously cant live on money he has earned, then thats sad..

he earned 16 mill for sure and prob around 20 mill total if not more..

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4284112

I know he has to pay agents, and taxes (believe he has to pay state taxes for every state he has played a game in) so what his salary was, can be cut in half.

He got over 10 mill just from the Packers...Plus his old spice..plus $ he earned before the extension in 09..

The excuse every penny counts in this economy is silly..

When you're talking about what you have to set your parents up for life, what you have to leave to your children when you're gone and perhaps your grandchildren, every dollar certainly does count. It's none of our business to make determinations on how much is enough. Maybe you should push for a career salary cap or something if that bothers you.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When you're talking about what you have to set your parents up for life, what you have to leave to your children when you're gone and perhaps your grandchildren, every dollar certainly does count. It's none of our business to make determinations on how much is enough. Maybe you should push for a career salary cap or something if that bothers you.

1 million in an acct for each kid earning 4%.... 20 years would be 1.2 million extra so 2.2 million left for each kid..

All I am saying is what the Pack would offer compared to another team it shouldnt matter to set up his family...There is enough..

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sad to see both go overall, Driver a lot more but Jennings had his place but he's tired of being here and it's apparent through his words, gestures and just the overall frustration he shows about contract discussions. Thanks and good luck but seeee ya!

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What?
Where have you been? This year...

Those aren't specifics. Please list the specific examples of his bad attitude because I've been here all year and haven't seen any "bad attitude" from him. Keep in mind, I don't bother with twitter and couldn't care less what is said on it. I also don't give a crap about his sister.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those aren't specifics. Please list the specific examples of his bad attitude because I've been here all year and haven't seen any "bad attitude" from him. Keep in mind, I don't bother with twitter and couldn't care less what is said on it. I also don't give a crap about his sister.
People have posted his direct quotes in this thread, if you haven't bothered to read his quotes anywhere else.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1 million in an acct for each kid earning 4%.... 20 years would be 1.2 million extra so 2.2 million left for each kid..

All I am saying is what the Pack would offer compared to another team it shouldnt matter to set up his family...There is enough..

"Enough" isn't our call to make. You only get one shot at this thing. He could sign a 6-year contract for $60M somewhere and get hurt in preseason and never see 90% of that contract. In the NFL you have to get what you can NOW. What if GJ has a couple favorite charities to which he'd like to give as much as possible? A lot of players do that.

Well, as it turns out, he does. He takes a good chunk of his income and puts it right into his Greg Jennings Foundation, which does all kinds of things to help kids. He also donates most of his offseason time and a lot of money to Habitat for Humanity. Why should he not maximize his resources while he can just so he can stay in Green Bay? I just categorically disagree with disparaging him in any way for taking more money elsewhere, if that ends up the case. I know there are some who just automatically turn on any Packer who has the audacity to go to another team, but that's just petty.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
"Enough" isn't our call to make. You only get one shot at this thing. He could sign a 6-year contract for $60M somewhere and get hurt in preseason and never see 90% of that contract. In the NFL you have to get what you can NOW. What if GJ has a couple favorite charities to which he'd like to give as much as possible? A lot of players do that.

Well, as it turns out, he does. He takes a good chunk of his income and puts it right into his Greg Jennings Foundation, which does all kinds of things to help kids. He also donates most of his offseason time and a lot of money to Habitat for Humanity. Why should he not maximize his resources while he can just so he can stay in Green Bay? I just categorically disagree with disparaging him in any way for taking more money elsewhere, if that ends up the case. I know there are some who just automatically turn on any Packer who has the audacity to go to another team, but that's just petty.

Just remember, all "donations" are tax deductions essentially.....so a good chunk is coming back.

To many current and former NFL palyers have fallen on hard times due to poor money management and poor money choices ( 14 cars, multiple homes, bling, hoes, etc....).

Please give me one seasons salary of Jennings money and I will show people how to live well, yet live within means all the while taking care of family and setting up my kids for life.

I'm sick and tired of players b*tching and complaining about their pay or lack there of. B*TCH PLEASE, you make more money and have more opportunity to invest that money and make even more yet they choose to **** it away on dumb crap. and you cannot argue that they don't, watch old episodes of MTV cribs and tell me I'm wrong.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
People have posted his direct quotes in this thread, if you haven't bothered to read his quotes anywhere else.

I just re-read the entire thread and didn't see a single direct quote that showed a bad attitude. But maybe I need my eyes checked, so perhaps you'd be so kind as to point to it.

Now if you're talking about the "I don't know if there's a difficult part" bit, I don't consider that to be "bad attitude." It's simply part of preparing yourself mentally to move on.

A better quote that includes some context is this one:

“At the end of the day, you know the Packers are going to do what’s best for the Packers. And that’s not going to change whether you’re No. 4, No. 80, No. 85, No. 77. That’s going to be the case.

They’re going to do what’s best for the Packers and the organization. And as the other half of the businessman sitting down at that table, I have to do what’s best for myself and my family.”

I understand that some fans can't wrap their minds around the idea that the NFL is a business, but players aren't fans and they shouldn't be expected to have unconditional loyalty their teams the way fans do. And that is not indicative of a "bad attitude" in any way. It's just part of doing business.

Members online

Latest posts