Goodbye Donald & Greg

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just remember, all "donations" are tax deductions essentially.....so a good chunk is coming back.

So what? It's nowhere even close to they amount that's donated. Sure, for every million dollars you donate, that's a few hundred thousand you don't have to pay taxes on but you're still coming out further ahead by not donating at all if all you care about is money. That money is still donated, not "donated."

I'm sick and tired of players b*tching and complaining about their pay or lack there of. B*TCH PLEASE, you make more money and have more opportunity to invest that money and make even more yet they choose to **** it away on dumb crap. and you cannot argue that they don't, watch old episodes of MTV cribs and tell me I'm wrong.

Sure, there are some idiots out there, but that doesn't mean they're all idiots.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
So what? It's nowhere even close to they amount that's donated. Sure, for every million dollars you donate, that's a few hundred thousand you don't have to pay taxes on but you're still coming out further ahead by not donating at all if all you care about is money. That money is still donated, not "donated."

So because there's a few idiots out there means they're all idiots? You've gotta be kidding me.

A few??? you have got to be kidding me!!! WAY more than your "few". I'm not even going to justify a %, but this a "show off your ****" genertion. Who's got the biggest house, most cars, most bling around their neck or on their hands.....all BS.

I want you to pull up Google earth. Type in "Gregg jennings house" ( this is just an example) and then pick and choose dozens of players from around the NFL from multiple different teams and look at the spreads they have. You can even see from the pictures from some of them that there are more than 10 cars parked there....was it a party? maybe, or maybe it was wasted money which you wont get back later and then will complain about being broke in 10 years.

Im not saying not to enjoy your money, but be smart about it and dont buy **** you dont need.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now if you're talking about the "I don't know if there's a difficult part" bit, I don't consider that to be "bad attitude."

I understand that some fans can't wrap their minds around the idea that the NFL is a business, but players aren't fans and they shouldn't be expected to have unconditional loyalty their teams the way fans do. And that is not indicative of a "bad attitude" in any way. It's just part of doing business.
I clearly understand that there is a business side to things in the NFL.
It's not 100% about business, for most players. But to a few it is.
How many commercials do you see Donald Driver in nationally? Even with his fame from DWTS and his big smile? None? How many for Jennings? Tons.... he cashes in as much as possible, I understand it. It's easy big money, and the opportunity is very short for those things. Once he goes to a crappy team like the Browns or Chiefs or Dolphins, those offers will be done for him. He's a nobody nationally if not for our Super Bowl win.

But for him to answer what's the most difficult part with "I don't know if there is one", is a slap in the face to all the Packer fans who spent their hard-earned money to buy his jerseys, tickets to games, etc.

He seems to have his foot drawn in the sand. A lot of players have played under franchise tags, including WR Wes Welker right now in New England.

If it's a business war Jennings vs the team, I am rooting for the team.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But for him to answer what's the most difficult part with "I don't know if there is one", is a slap in the face to all the Packer fans who spent their hard-earned money to buy his jerseys, tickets to games, etc.

LOL... no it's not. If that's what you think, then you're pretty thin-skinned, Frank. A slap in the face is what Favre did. What Greg said was, "I don't know." He didn't say "nothing," as bozz contended, now did he?

He gave a generic answer intended to avoid giving the Packers any negotiating chips, nothing more, nothing less.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
"Enough" isn't our call to make. You only get one shot at this thing. He could sign a 6-year contract for $60M somewhere and get hurt in preseason and never see 90% of that contract. In the NFL you have to get what you can NOW. What if GJ has a couple favorite charities to which he'd like to give as much as possible? A lot of players do that.

Well, as it turns out, he does. He takes a good chunk of his income and puts it right into his Greg Jennings Foundation, which does all kinds of things to help kids. He also donates most of his offseason time and a lot of money to Habitat for Humanity. Why should he not maximize his resources while he can just so he can stay in Green Bay? I just categorically disagree with disparaging him in any way for taking more money elsewhere, if that ends up the case. I know there are some who just automatically turn on any Packer who has the audacity to go to another team, but that's just petty.

You got it wrong...Get as much as he can now isnt my issue..

You stating
in this economy, every dollar counts.
is my issue.

Getting a contract from the Pack or any team will set up who ever he wants..I pointed out any money he has earned SO FAR is enough to set up his kids..
10 mill year or 15 mill a year, he still do what he wants for his kids and kid's kids and charities.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You got it wrong...Get as much as he can now isnt my issue..

You stating

is my issue.

Getting a contract from the Pack or any team will set up who ever he wants..I pointed out any money he has earned SO FAR is enough to set up his kids..
10 mill year or 15 mill a year, he still do what he wants for his kids and kid's kids and charities.

So you think he should take less to stay in Green Bay? Okay. Do you have a problem with guys making as much money as they can before their window closes, especially since that window can close any time he steps on a football field?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So you think he should take less to stay in Green Bay? Okay. Do you have a problem with guys making as much money as they can before their window closes, especially since that window can close any time he steps on a football field?

Get as much as he can now isnt my issue..

Getting a contract from the Pack or any team will set up who ever he wants.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a big problem with a guy getting as much as he can. I understand that. And I know that this sport is violent as hell and a guy's career can end on any single play, especially with ACL-hunters like Dashon Goldson and Louis Delmas back there.

But I also know there have been some guys in the NFL, MLB, who did in fact leave plenty of money on the table to stay with the team who drafted them and grew with them.
I tend to respect those players a lot more than the ones who worship the $.
But maybe that's just me. I never liked Gordon Gecco's "Greed is Good" motto. But I realize many Americans do agree with him.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a big problem with a guy getting as much as he can. I understand that. And I know that this sport is violent as hell and a guy's career can end on any single play, especially with ACL-hunters like Dashon Goldson and Louis Delmas back there.

But I also know there have been some guys in the NFL, MLB, who did in fact leave plenty of money on the table to stay with the team who drafted them and grew with them.
I tend to respect those players a lot more than the ones who worship the $.
But maybe that's just me. I never liked Gordon Gecco's "Greed is Good" motto. But I realize many Americans do agree with him.

It's extremely extremely rare for an nfl player to take less money. Even the nicest players try and bring in as much as they can. Even Reggie white

Not in the players shoes so I try not to judge too much on that.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's extremely extremely rare for an nfl player to take less money. Even the nicest players try and bring in as much as they can. Even Reggie white

Not in the players shoes so I try not to judge too much on that.
Exactly. I see all sides to that, as I said.
I am not a judge, jury, or God. So I am not judging anyone.
I just form opinions of someone based on what they say and/or do. That is all. Not judging.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. I see all sides to that, as I said.
I am not a judge, jury, or God. So I am not judging anyone.
I just form opinions of someone based on what they say and/or do. That is all. Not judging.

A-men. I loved GJ, followed his career and will wish him well in the fact I hope he finds a place he loves and will miss when it ends...sorry but I'm in the same boat as some others. If he loved the fans or this place even a little bit he wouldn't have responded with what's in my signature. At that point I completely shifted from wanting GJ instead of Fin to I'd be fine with them keeping (hopefully re-structuring Fins owed money if even possible) and letting GJ go find what'll make him happier.

burt packerack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg is almost 30 and we have some great young talented WRs coming up, all of which show some maturity and leadership. So no I don't mind seeing him go especially after that comment that changed my whole perception of him.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do I get the feeling that Jennings has been harboring ill will since Cullen was allowed to leave for financial reasons. I feel like somehow that pissed him off and has facilitated this whole attitude he has gotten.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg is almost 30 and we have some great young talented WRs coming up, all of which show some maturity and leadership. So no I don't mind seeing him go especially after that comment that changed my whole perception of him.
Interesting stat from PFF about our WRs this year, including Jennings. http://packersinsider.com/?p=5239

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's important that Rodgers keeps weapons.
I love Jarrett Boykin and like Jeremy Ross.
But they are unproven. Can they DO IT on a semi-consistent basis? We've not seen it like we saw from Jennings & Driver.
Losing 80 & 85 at the same time (I know Rodgers didn't throw to Driver this year already and Jennings was out more than half of this year), makes me think that the team is trying to extend Finley to massage his cap #.

This picture makes me sad now :eek:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Those aren't specifics. Please list the specific examples of his bad attitude because I've been here all year and haven't seen any "bad attitude" from him. Keep in mind, I don't bother with twitter and couldn't care less what is said on it. I also don't give a crap about his sister.

You might not bother with twitter, or give a crap about his sister, (me too actually), but that said, people have read them and I think its clear he doesn`t care which uniform he wears next year.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Now he's played 14 years, although some would say one or two too many. Not me though. Whatever they paid him this year for what little he did, was well worth it.
Count me among those who think Driver played one too many years for the Packers and what they paid him for this season was anything but "well worth it". Before last season keeping him on the roster was understandable but after Jones surpassed him in 2011, it was time for Driver to retire or go. I love his contributions to the Packers but in return for the $2.3M they paid Driver this season they received 8 receptions for 77 yards and 2 TDs. IMO DD got paid well for his previous years in Green Bay, keeping him around before the 2012 season didn't make any sense. The proof of that is how often he was a healthy inactive and with Jennings and Nelson missing time, how little he played when he was active.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Jennings deal is up so I don't blame him - or any player - for getting as much as he can in a contract. If he's been paying attention to how Thompson does his job, he knows if Thompson thought he was indispensible and affordable, the Packers and GJ's agent would have been negotiating for quite some time now. (The rare exception is Jones, who went into the UFA market and came back to Green Bay because he wasn't worth what he thought on the open market.) So GJ's feelings are probably hurt because the Packers don't view him as indispensible. That's understandable but feelings aside, he knows it's a business both for him and the Packers.

I don't think it matters if he wants to be tagged or not: If the Packers tag him it will be in his best interests to play as well as he possibly can to maximize his value after the season. I don't think they can afford to tag him so it's a moot point. But if he is tagged, he'll play for the tagged amount.

BTW, when NFL players donate money to charities they save their marginal state (if any) and federal tax bracket percentage. For example, if a Wisconsin state resident earns $10M in 2013 and gives $1M to a charity, he saves $1M times 39.6% on his federal and 7.75% on his state return. If he gives nothing to charity he pays $473,500 in taxes on that $1M and keeps $526,500 of it after taxes. If he gives $1M it "only" costs him $526,500 (because he pays $473,500 less in income taxes).

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell me I'm not the only one feeling another "Candle in the Wind" remake. Get on it, Elton!

****Goodbye, Don and Greg!
Though I never knew you at aaaaaaall
You had the strength to catch the ball
when d-backs around you faaaaaaall*****

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one will be sad to see Greg go. I mean, this is the guy who caught 2 TDs in Super Bowl XLV. This is the guy who asks on Facebook if we want him to stay a Packer.

Granted, I have got a strange feel from the guy lately...but maybe it is due to fans and media saying that he doesn't care? Then again, there IS what his sister said online.

Also, for what it is worth, I feel that Donald Driver was sorely underused this season. He was hardly in games and from what we saw of him, he looked great. He caught 2 TD passes, and nearly a 3rd had Aaron tossed the ball about 2 inches lower. He also had a great block during one of Randall Cobb's TDs. vs Arizona I think.

Also, IF Greg and Donald DO go...we will have a number 80 and 85 open. We have a couple recievers with numbers in the teens. Just a pet peeve of mine, but I can't stand seeing receivers wear a number not in the 80s. I understand why Cobb wears 18 because it has to do with his sister and also we had no 80s open at the time I believe. Do you think Boykin, Ross, or Gurley (if we still have him.) will assume those numbers?

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
would not be surprised if the Queens, or the Lions made a play at Jennings.........
Donald D---Thanks for dancing your way to the future Packer HOF&NFL HOF U will B missed in GB..

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, IF Greg and Donald DO go...we will have a number 80 and 85 open. We have a couple recievers with numbers in the teens. Just a pet peeve of mine, but I can't stand seeing receivers wear a number not in the 80s. I understand why Cobb wears 18 because it has to do with his sister and also we had no 80s open at the time I believe. Do you think Boykin, Ross, or Gurley (if we still have him.) will assume those numbers?

Driver's number should never be worn again and I hope it's retired before #4 ever is. I think someone will wear 85 again some day, but probably wait a few years. Numbers in the teens don't bother me at all players should be able to wear whatever number they want imo.

Members online