Goodbye Donald & Greg

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I for one will be sad to see Greg go. I mean, this is the guy who caught 2 TDs in Super Bowl XLV. This is the guy who asks on Facebook if we want him to stay a Packer.

Granted, I have got a strange feel from the guy lately...but maybe it is due to fans and media saying that he doesn't care? Then again, there IS what his sister said online.

Also, for what it is worth, I feel that Donald Driver was sorely underused this season. He was hardly in games and from what we saw of him, he looked great. He caught 2 TD passes, and nearly a 3rd had Aaron tossed the ball about 2 inches lower. He also had a great block during one of Randall Cobb's TDs. vs Arizona I think.

Also, IF Greg and Donald DO go...we will have a number 80 and 85 open. We have a couple recievers with numbers in the teens. Just a pet peeve of mine, but I can't stand seeing receivers wear a number not in the 80s. I understand why Cobb wears 18 because it has to do with his sister and also we had no 80s open at the time I believe. Do you think Boykin, Ross, or Gurley (if we still have him.) will assume those numbers?

He asked on facebook ??? I never heard that one before. Sorry but thats just wierd. It sounds like a case of ego stroking in my opinion. As far as catching two TD`s in the superbowl, isn`t that what he was paid for ? and yes, I agree that the Vikings will try to sign him up given the chance.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Driver's number should never be worn again and I hope it's retired before #4 ever is. I think someone will wear 85 again some day, but probably wait a few years. Numbers in the teens don't bother me at all players should be able to wear whatever number they want imo.

I half way agree with DD # being retired. He is any amazing person, and is a fantastic Packer...but James Lofton didn't get the number retired, and I don't know if DD will. It would not upset me to see that happen, though. If it does go to another player, I really hope that person is carefully chosen. #80 is a special number in the NFL AND for our organization.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
He asked on facebook ??? I never heard that one before. Sorry but thats just wierd. It sounds like a case of ego stroking in my opinion. As far as catching two TD`s in the superbowl, isn`t that what he was paid for ? and yes, I agree that the Vikings will try to sign him up given the chance.

There are other teams with WAY more more to hand out besides the vikings. I doubt that he goes to any divisional rival, Hewill end up some place like Oakland, Cleveland, KC, Jacksonville

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO the reason Driver didn't get on the field more is because 1) he didn't play STs, and 2) he's at the end of his career and it shows. As I've posted many times I love Driver's contribution to the Packers over the course of his career but I don’t think he will get into the Pro Football HOF and I don't favor retiring his number. If he and Jennings are not Packers next season I expect both numbers will be used. Certainly Jennings' will be.

I

There are other teams with WAY more more to hand out besides the vikings. I doubt that he goes to any divisional rival, Hewill end up some place like Oakland, Cleveland, KC, Jacksonville
I think I said the Vikings would try to sign him, I didn`t say he would definately go did I ? History shows they have signed Ferguson, Longwell, Favre, so why wouldn`t they be interested in getting Greg on thier squad ? They`d be stupid not to.
This is only a friendly discussion here, I`m not trying to yank your chain.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would bet that we will look back at Jennings contract and be glad we didn't extend him a contract.

Reaction score
Awesome Players - Glad we won a superbowl with the both of 'em.
Sucks Driver didn't get that "Wow, The Old Guy snags a game winning TD in the Superbowl!" type of send off.
But at least we got him/Clifton/Tauscher/Barnett a ring before they moved on.

Loved the effort and production Greg Jennings gave us, he's a good dude (sort of got snippy at the end thou) - idk, good luck to him and wherever he goes.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, Greg was paid to catch TDs, including the Super Bowl TDs...but I guess I a more talking about the memories that he made. Admit it, when you were sitting there watching that drive and he snagged that TD in the back corner of the endzone, over Polamalu I believe, you jumped and cheered and were in total bliss. Greg was a major helper in making that happen, and I just hate to see him go =( I guess it is nostalgia for me =/

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Yes, Greg was paid to catch TDs, including the Super Bowl TDs...but I guess I a more talking about the memories that he made. Admit it, when you were sitting there watching that drive and he snagged that TD in the back corner of the endzone, over Polamalu I believe, you jumped and cheered and were in total bliss. Greg was a major helper in making that happen, and I just hate to see him go =( I guess it is nostalgia for me =/
Is someone denying Jennings’ contribution? I for one would love for the Packers to be able to keep him but I’ve been prepared for his departure for over a year now. And the main reason is the cap. In addition to the play you mentioned I’ll always remember the catch Jennings made with about 6 minutes left in the game on third down at their own 25-yard line, third and ten. The Steelers had the momentum and their CB got a finger on that ball but Jennings hauled it in for a 31 yard gain. The Packers are deep at WR but if Jennings leaves as expected, they’ll need a WR who can stretch Ds like he does.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
USA Today reports that Donald Driver is leaning towards retirement. Chris Mortensen also expects him to retire.

Should have last year. Yes, that is harsh but we got so little out of his roster spot this year. It was painful seeing the ball bounce off his hands in his brief appearances.

We will miss Jennings, but only so many dollars and they have to be spent on Matthews and Rodgers.

I

I was forced to listen to it on the radio at work, but yes...lol, I DID jump and cheer. I`m not trying to disrespect your feelings about Greg Jennings bud, I AM grateful for everything he has done for us. I guess it may have come across wrong, I just think he was doing what he was paid to do.
Lets hope he will remember the Packers fondly as the Packers remember him. :tup:

H

HardRightEdge

Driver is done. It was generous of the Pack to give him a swan song season to begin with.

If Cobb were not on the roster, Jennings might be a more difficult issue and an object of more serious pursuit. Jennings' strength is route running out of the slot, which happens to be Cobb's natural position. Jennings comes back from injury...Cobb's targets dry up.

It doesn't make sense to offer Jennings a *** of money only to have Cobb go largely unused, even if Jennings is the better all-around receiver at this point in time. You just don't spend that kind of money for a marginally better player than the younger, much cheaper, highly effective alternative with upside.

The money is better spent in either keeping Finley or finding a suitable Finley replacement.

H

HardRightEdge

I think it's possible to maintain an appreciation of the contributions made by a terrific player while also understanding and appreciating the practical reasons behind the parting of the ways. Jennings' or Driver's departure shouldn't diminish their accomplishments or the memories.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one am ready to move on from Jennings due to his recent attitude...but no one, I repeat no one can not appreciate and love what he did for us here in GB. In a perfect world we could afford to keep him and it would make sense....however it does not make sense, nor is it affordable. So we move on and that is the right move all around.

Someone asked who is gonna stretch the D like Jennings for us..well honestly Cobb has the wheels for it, but I love him in the slot, as far as outside deep threat I do feel Ross if he can prove a reliable set of hands has the raw speed...also gotta remember JJ is much more precise at running routes and if he can execute a double move pattern like he usually does he can beat the D deep. Excited to see how the WR core grows.

OP
OP
FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I for one am ready to move on from Jennings due to his recent attitude...but no one, I repeat no one can not appreciate and love what he did for us here in GB. In a perfect world we could afford to keep him and it would make sense....however it does not make sense, nor is it affordable. So we move on and that is the right move all around.

Someone asked who is gonna stretch the D like Jennings for us..well honestly Cobb has the wheels for it, but I love him in the slot, as far as outside deep threat I do feel Ross if he can prove a reliable set of hands has the raw speed...also gotta remember JJ is much more precise at running routes and if he can execute a double move pattern like he usually does he can beat the D deep. Excited to see how the WR core grows.
Well said. Jarrett Boykin doesn't seem to be that kind of guy, although neither did a guy like Victor Cruz, whom some say Boykin reminds them of.
Jeremy Ross is a burner though.....

I love Donald!
So glad he won't be putting on another' teams uniform though!

Members online

Latest posts