Geronimo Allison signed 1 year deal

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just reported that The Pack signed Geronimo to a contract. Probably one year. I am happy. I was worried that a team would grab him. Turns out that several teams were interested in him but The Packers were able to offer him enough for him to stay. I think he is confident that he will do well with Rodgers and a better payday is in the near future.
I am honestly surprised there were other teams interested in him. He certainly didn't do much to stand out in my book to garner a look. Sorry but that's just how I feel. It wouldn't surprise me if one of the rookies from last year beat him out.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am honestly surprised there were other teams interested in him. He certainly didn't do much to stand out in my book to garner a look. Sorry but that's just how I feel. It wouldn't surprise me if one of the rookies from last year beat him out.

It wouldn't surprise me either but it also wouldn't surprise me if he took the next step.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I think most would hope, and perhaps cautiously expect one of the younger players to beat Allison out. But he averaged 60 yards and .5 TD's per start in 4 starts last season. That's a 960 yd, 8 td season over 16 games. He has a rapport with Rodgers. When all of the other options outside of Adams are young and unproven, I can't see why we wouldn't want this guy around. He's a hedge against that inexperience without being expensive.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Just reported that The Pack signed Geronimo to a contract. Probably one year. I am happy. I was worried that a team would grab him. Turns out that several teams were interested in him but The Packers were able to offer him enough for him to stay. I think he is confident that he will do well with Rodgers and a better payday is in the near future.
A cite would be nice.
The lowest round restricted tender would have cost the Packers just over $2 million in 2019. Allison likely signed the new deal for above that amount.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is with this love for Golden Tate? Seriously! He's not that good.

As for the signing for Geronimo. I find this move typical on our part, and especially at the price we got him for. The dude is a solid #3 receiver. Certainly not a number 2 like we need. Honestly I see MVS, and Kumerow beating him out. I don't dislike him, but I don't like him enough for where we went out of our way to keep him.

You're crazy if you think Tate isn't good.

Stanger37

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Ryan Grant is the guy they should pursue if anyone. Not Jordy.

for what purpose? add yet another unproven WR to the roster? You're mad they're throwing money at all these other unproven defense guys, and you want this guy on the team?

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
for what purpose? add yet another unproven WR to the roster? You're mad they're throwing money at all these other unproven defense guys, and you want this guy on the team?
Ryan Grant is a former RB.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I never said to throw $ around on Ryan Grant. He would come on a very team friendly deal and is someone that is competent that can play in the slot if the rookie they draft gets hurt or needs more time to develop and can't carry the whole load right out the gate.

D

Deleted member 6794

He started his career alright with receiving, I doubt he suddenly forgot how to catch. He will never be the #1 option at TE but no one is asking him to be. With a coach, and hopefully a QB, that isn't afraid to call his number every now and then I'm willing to bet he can contribute if called upon. He had 5 TDs in 2017. That's not bad for a TE who doesn't catch the ball.

Lewis won't be involved in the passing game a lot because he has troubles getting open. In addition his 51 drops on only 439 catchable balls isn't even average.

Allison was a top 40 receiver in the league in yards per route rub before getting injured last season and yet you're surprised that other teams were interested in him while not having to give up a draft pick if signed to a deal the Packers wouldn't match???

I never said to throw $ around on Ryan Grant. He would come on a very team friendly deal and is someone that is competent that can play in the slot if the rookie they draft gets hurt or needs more time to develop and can't carry the whole load right out the gate.

Once again, the Packers need a receiver primarily lining up in the slot. Grant doesn't fit that bill.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allison was a top 40 receiver in the league in yards per route rub before getting injured last season and yet you're surprised that other teams were interested in him while not having to give up a draft pick if signed to a deal the Packers wouldn't match???
Considering Cobb, who was also plagued by injuries, and someone who everyone here thinks is done, had a better overall season than Allison, hell yeah I'm surprised.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering Cobb, who was also plagued by injuries, and someone who everyone here thinks is done, had a better overall season than Allison, hell yeah I'm surprised.

Cobb played twice the amount of games, had twice the amount of targets, yet only had 18 more receptions (less than double Allison), only had 81 more yards, and the same amount of TD's.

If you'd like to look at it on a per game status:

Allison: 4/60.5/0.4 on a 66.7% catch status (that's including the Rams game where he didn't play much)

Cobb: 4.2/42.55/0.22 on a 62.3% catch status.

Looking more in depth, Cobb had one game (week 1) where he went over 45 yards. In fact, 24% of his receptions, 37% of his yards, and 50% of his TD's came from that one game. Allison was much more consistent, when healthy.

In absolutely no way, shape, or form, did Cobb have a better season than Allison did.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Cobb played twice the amount of games, had twice the amount of targets, yet only had 18 more receptions (less than double Allison), only had 81 more yards, and the same amount of TD's.

If you'd like to look at it on a per game status:

Allison: 4/60.5/0.4 on a 66.7% catch status (that's including the Rams game where he didn't play much)

Cobb: 4.2/42.55/0.22 on a 62.3% catch status.

Looking more in depth, Cobb had one game (week 1) where he went over 45 yards. In fact, 24% of his receptions, 37% of his yards, and 50% of his TD's came from that one game. Allison was much more consistent, when healthy.

In absolutely no way, shape, or form, did Cobb have a better season than Allison did.

It's kind od like comparing bad to worse though.

Neither of them are what the Packers need going forward.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Harsh on Geronimo. He is integral part is f way forward imo.

He isn't though. He is a perennial 20 plus catch receiver. He isn't a game changer. He is a guy that can fill in a pinch type situation. There is nothing special about him at all other then he is better then T. Davis.

I was high on this kid as an UDFA but to think he is anything more then a depth guy on a Super Bowl contending roster is wishful thinking.

He is a slightly better version of Boykin. Nothing more

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the slot thing isn't a big deal. getting open and making the catch is. we have several guys that can play that role. getting rodgers to throw short may be a bigger problem ;). nah...it's the #2 spot that needs sorted. unless they draft a #2 at 12 or 30 it's going to be #2 by committee...again.

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again we currently have nobody to play the slot with close to the skill set Grant has to be effective there.

MVS and EQ can line up in the slot and be as productive as Grant. The Packers need an upgrade though.

It's kind od like comparing bad to worse though.

Neither of them are what the Packers need going forward.

Allison was on pace to reach close to 1,000 yards last season. That's definitely good enough for the #2 receiver.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to be clear about it (I didn't look up if that has been mentioned in this thread) the Packers tendered Allison, allowing them to match offers he receives from other teams. He's currently not under contract with the Packers though.

I wondered about this. If you go to the Packers' website he isn't listed on the regular roster, just on the "restricted free agent" list.

D

Deleted member 6794

I wondered about this. If you go to the Packers' website he isn't listed on the regular roster, just on the "restricted free agent" list.

Allison has signed a one-year contract with the Packers since though.

Latest posts