Geronimo Allison signed 1 year deal

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Allison earned it. I have made him odd man out the last two years I think.... Wrong both times.

I'm on the allison bandwagon. Now...

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
i'm talking about right now. not 3 years from now. we need a real #2 now.

The biggest jumps players take are between years 1 and 2, and between years 2 and 3. For all we know, one or more of the rookies from last year are ready now. But we can't be sure. That's why Allison is such a nice keep. His reliability is a hedge against them not being ready.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest jumps players take are between years 1 and 2, and between years 2 and 3. For all we know, one or more of the rookies from last year are ready now. But we can't be sure. That's why Allison is such a nice keep. His reliability is a hedge against them not being ready.
i've no problem keeping him...he ok. we haven't had a guy turn into a star in his 2nd year since jennings. maybe cobb. everyone else took at least 3 seasons. i don't see 60+ catches out of any of these guys. i hope i'm wrong.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

We can't be sure cause they look like a bunch of 3's and 4's with Allison or not. The probabilities favor them not jumping as none of them were elite coming out and there are obvious flaws and limitations in all of there games.

We need way more insurance then Geronimo Allison. Like day 1 talent insurance to increase the odds of someone panning out.

To hold tight with what we have after burying the franchise financially on defense would be INSANE!

Reaction score
i've no problem keeping him...he ok. we haven't had a guy turn into a star in his 2nd year since jennings. maybe cobb. everyone else took at least 3 seasons. i don't see 60+ catches out of any of these guys. i hope i'm wrong.
This draft is thick with good WRs in the middle rounds 3-5. If we don’t get one day One? then we should wait until one of our 2-4th round selections.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Seriosuly dude, quit trying to sell us on all this bargain basement talent on offense after recklessly spending $ on the defense after 4 years of top defensive draft picks.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This draft is thick with good WRs in the middle rounds 3-5. If we don’t get one day One? then we should wait until one of our 2-4th round selections.

Every draft is thick with Wide Receivers and besides Jordy Nelson we generally look for obscure talents in middle rounds.

Reaction score
Every draft is thick with Wide Receivers and besides Jordy Nelson we generally look for obscure talents in middle rounds.
Not sure where you’re heading that. Several current and retired top notch personnel executives have recently said that this draft in particular is extremely talented at WR throughout its ranks. While there may not be but a couple bonafied first rounders, It is one of the top 2-3 deepest positions in 2019.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/top-3-deepest-positions-for-the-2019-nfl-draft
Again, it’s a year that in many seasons a top 75 pick will still likely be there round 4-5

Last edited:

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure where you’re heading that. Several current and retired top notch personnel executives have recently said that this draft in particular is extremely talented at WR throughout its ranks. While there may not be but a couple bonafied first rounders, It is one of the top 2-3 deepest positions in 2019.
https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/top-3-deepest-positions-for-the-2019-nfl-draft
Again, it’s a year that in many seasons a top 75 pick will still likely be there round 4-5

For sure WR will be somewhat deep. (although that article is from last year) I have a tough time trusting anyone past the top tier though. (Metcalf, Brown, Brown, Campbell, Samuel, Ridley, Harry, and Harmon.) All probably gone before we pick in round 4. And even a few of those guys I am skeptical about whether they would be much better than an ESB or MVS out there.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For sure WR will be somewhat deep. (although that article is from last year) I have a tough time trusting anyone past the top tier though. (Metcalf, Brown, Brown, Campbell, Samuel, Ridley, Harry, and Harmon.) All probably gone before we pick in round 4. And even a few of those guys I am skeptical about whether they would be much better than an ESB or MVS out there.
These guys will for sure be gone by round 4, probably even by round 3. Don't sleep on Andy Isabella, I'd consider him tier 1 as well.

However I do believe there is some talent in that round 3-6 range that could contribute immediately (Hall, Hardman, Mitchell, Morgan, Doss, Godwin).

But you are right, better to take one of the first tier, which is why I would like to see a WR with one of our first 4 picks.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like GMo more than any other young WR in our team maybe except Kumerow.

Brown and MvS are overrated.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like GMo more than any other young WR in our team maybe except Kumerow.

Brown and MvS are overrated.
I'm not sure why so many are down on Gmo. He needed time to develop and has shown consistent growth. He was looking good to end the previous season and then to start last season. Appeared he was coming on, and then he was lost to injury. Maybe he never would have sustained it, but he was looking more than solid and doing the things a WR should to last a while in this league. He's not a track star so I guess he can't be good, but he can outrun DB's and safeties for a TD on the field. Good enough for me.

MVS had a decent rookie season, but he has a long ways to go. Definitely has some skills we can exploit and is fast, but wasn't terribly consistent and didn't really show "growth" to me last year. We'll find out this year if he makes any jump. Of the 2 I think Brown showed a little more with less opportunity. I think he has better body control and hands, but still clearly has a lot of work to do.

D

Deleted member 6794

Just to be clear about it (I didn't look up if that has been mentioned in this thread) the Packers tendered Allison, allowing them to match offers he receives from other teams. He's currently not under contract with the Packers though.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Glad he is back. Easy to root for this guy, hope this is his bust out year. He is neck and neck with Kumrow, probably only one of them makes it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Glad he is back. Easy to root for this guy, hope this is his bust out year. He is neck and neck with Kumrow, probably only one of them makes it.

As long as the Packers don't repeat drafting three wide receivers this year both Allison and Kumerow have a decent chance at making the roster.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is with this love for Golden Tate? Seriously! He's not that good.

As for the signing for Geronimo. I find this move typical on our part, and especially at the price we got him for. The dude is a solid #3 receiver. Certainly not a number 2 like we need. Honestly I see MVS, and Kumerow beating him out. I don't dislike him, but I don't like him enough for where we went out of our way to keep him.

Uhh he plays hard and he moves the chains..oh and he’s DURABLE.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe he never would have sustained it, but he was looking more than solid and doing the things a WR should to last a while in this league.

He was on a roll before his injury. And my take is that he is a big game player. When you need a play that changes the flow of the game in our favour, He's most likely to deliver it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I read that the deal is just north of 2M.

I love this move, in that Allison is a steadier, more experienced hedge against the possibility that the 2nd year receivers aren't ready to take the next step.

If they don't, he's a much better option than forcing unprepared receivers to stay on the field, and if they do, he's great depth.

I also like that it's an inexpensive one year deal, so there isn't a long term commitment to worry about if and when MVS, EQ, Moore, or Kumerow take hold of that #2 receiver job.
He was tendered, did not sign yet

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as the Packers don't repeat drafting three wide receivers this year both Allison and Kumerow have a decent chance at making the roster.
I definitely agree, unless we draft more than one receiver and all of a sudden Moore comes up big both Kumerow and Allison will probably make the roster. I envision:

WR1: Adams / MVS
WR2: Allison / ESB
Slot: DraftPick / Kumerow

D

Deleted member 6794

I definitely agree, unless we draft more than one receiver and all of a sudden Moore comes up big both Kumerow and Allison will probably make the roster. I envision:

WR1: Adams / MVS
WR2: Allison / ESB
Slot: DraftPick / Kumerow

Kumerow lined up in the slot for only seven of his 136 snaps on offense last season.

Members online

Latest posts