Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Unfortunately I´m afraid the defense actually is as bad as we saw yesterday and unless the front office addresses multiple position on that side of the ball with quality players there will be more games like that once the offense doesn´t perform at an elite level.

No doubt that the Packer Defense should be the #1 focal point in the off season. I am not ready to concede that it is quite as bad as the train wreck we saw yesterday, but yes, it is going to require more than just plugging in a few draft picks to make it the above average defense that will be needed to make another run at the SB in 2017.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For my money we need: 1. a CB on free market. Then 2. A pass rusher. Then 3. a middle linebacker. And then 4. another interior O lineman. One that can run block and pass block. Otherwise we are looking pretty good (though tough to tell from yesterday and I am asking for a lot).

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would not mind seeing some coaching changes as well.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After a little thought, and re-watching that train wreck. I think it's just the easy thing to do is to blame Capers.

Two glaring things that came out to me. Randall is NOT an NFL caliber corner, in any way shape or form. I haven't seen coverage skills that bad in a long long time. If you watch the game, and just watch his play. They could have easy thrown on him in about 80% percent of the pass plays without him being within 3 yards of his receiver. The defense in general lacks talent. Outside of Daniels, Dix, Burnett and Matthews very few of those players start on any other team in the NFL. Gunter I think could be a #2 corner. We don't have a MLB worth a damn right now, having to sub for pass plays, sub for run plays to make up for deficiencies that they all have. That is on TT if you ask me, and blame him more than Capers. Capers didn't call defenses that had guys losing track of WR's, Randall being turned around lost like normal.

The second is... if you would have told me the offense scored 21 points. I would have bet my house the Packers would lose. Going into this I thought the Packers would have to score 35-40 to win. Given the fact that the offense :poop: the bed for 30 minutes. I think it is a bigger disappointment that the offense didn't do anything, than it was that the defense couldn't stop Atlanta. Blame that on Aaron, or lack of running game, hurt wide receivers, play calling, lack of game plan. They probably all have some merit. But I was more disappointed by that than with the college talent defense not stopping the Falcons.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bottom line with this defense is the talent is not there. That is on TT. Capers tried everything he could think of yesterday. Nothing worked. Now I'm not excusing Capers I want him gone too! But this mess of a defense is on the great Ted Thompson. If Capers had some impact players on defense maybe he would be able to make the proper adjustments. This defense needs a major overhaul. Starting with getting rid of Capers and most of his defensive staff. Time to start fresh with the coaching. Then they need help at CB, they need a OLB who can actually create some pass rush. They could use a DL/DT that can create some push and maybe get some pressure on the QB. I just don't trust that TT is the guy to turn this defense around. After all he is the one who drafted this current mess!

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never been a Capers fan, but I honestly don't think I can blame him for this one. This defense is simply not good enough. I do think his time is up, though, and we should look into other options. Can we also get a defensive playmaker? This defense hurts me.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody is denying that there wasn't a ton of talent for him to work with, but Capers is a DC in the National Football League and his job is to make do with what he's got and make adjustments accordingly. We had 40+ hung up on us 3 times this year and 30+ 4 times. And as somebody in another thread stated, in our playoff losses under AR the opposing team has averaged 36 pts. So say what you want about the players, but he's mediocre at best and pretty terrible at worst.

H

HardRightEdge

:eek:

It's actually a fair point to make though when digging deep into some of the Packers "issues". The Packers by finishing near the top for several years, have put themselves into a position of picking near the end of each round, not just the first round either. The Patriots seem to be about the only other team that has successfully navigated the draft and its intended effect, competitive parity between the teams. But Bill Belichick tends to make better use of the other ways of acquiring talent as well.
I gave you a "winner" on that post, not because I agree with it; rather because (pending a deletion) you have the honor of making the 2,000th post in this thread. Congrat!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I gave you a "winner" on that post, not because I agree with it; rather because (pending a deletion) you have the honor of making the 2,000th post in this thread. Congrat!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: What an honor?

"I would like to thank the academy and Mr Dom Capers himself for giving me this opportunity...."

Now will there eventually be a 4000th post?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Its a bend but dont break defense that got shattered into pieces yesterday. Its the same **** every year. All these guys are suppossed to be "big time ball hawks" but in big games they somehow cant even judge the ball in the air or even catch it for that matter.

2014- Hyde drops pick that puts us deep into niner territory to put game away.

2015- Clinton Dix looks embarrasing lost judging a depseration throw by Russell Wilson on a 2 pt conversion that cost us game.

2016- Shields drops pick thrown by Carsom Palmer that could of ended game.

2017- Obviously the worse cummlative effort by the group. Dropping picks throughout the playoffs and yesterday looking like high school kids tracking balls.

The whole thing is just pathetic.

If i was Aaron Rodgers id be grimacing on the sideline too when the defense is out there cause there a diasaster waiting to happen.

I don't trust this defense. I dont trust Dom Capers. I dont trust the players on this defense. They need to start over while they can.

Last edited:

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see quality players out there. Daniels plays his heart out on the DL and so does Peppers when he is able to play. But I am not impressed with the talent on the DL. I do believe that we need changes in coaching on defense if nothing else to get some new ideas, etc. But the talent on defense just does not seem to be there. From my perspective I feel like the injuries to Matthews impacted his play but the frustrating part is he seems to be hurt and out of games every year. I am not making light of his shoulder injury and give him credit for playing through it.

I don't understand why TT thought that Randall or Rollins would be good picks. They seem like projects to me. He passed up some pretty good players...from what I have seen in the last couple of drafts, at least on defense. I am by no means an expert on talent. Usually I just do a lot of reading about the picks before the draft. It just seems to me that either TT or some of his scouts are not that great at evaluating some of these defensive players. But I wish he would stop trying to make a player into something.....

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your statement here about Eli Manning, is all I need to say "our conversation is done". Good luck to you.

So you can't respond to the content because I made a joke about Eli Manning looking like he is lost in the Sahara every time I see him?

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No doubt that the Packer Defense should be the #1 focal point in the off season. I am not ready to concede that it is quite as bad as the train wreck we saw yesterday, but yes, it is going to require more than just plugging in a few draft picks to make it the above average defense that will be needed to make another run at the SB in 2017.

The Defense has been the #1 focal point for 7 years now. Nothing ever changes.

H

HardRightEdge

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao: What an honor?

"I would like to thank the academy and Mr Dom Capers himself for giving me this opportunity...."

Now will there eventually be a 4000th post?
I'd prefer we not get to 4,000; that would imply he'd get another season.

However, I'd lay odds he will stick around if for no other reason there's probably "dead money" in his contract, and we know what Thompson thinks about paying the departed.

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What gets me about this defense is how far the pass defenders always are from the receivers. There usually isn't a defender within 5 yards of the receiver. How do they expect to stop ANYTHING playing this far off?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Ive showed my frustration with him. This game showed how horrible he is. Put your input

I'd prefer we not get to 4,000; that would imply he'd get another season.

However, I'd lay odds he will stick around if for no other reason there's probably "dead money" in his contract, and we know what Thompson thinks about paying the departed.

The first post I quoted was from azrsx05, Sep 9, 2012. post #1 in this thread. He either deserves a lot of credit for starting this marathon or deserves to be fired for not getting his point across strong enough :D

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What gets me about this defense is how far the pass defenders always are from the receivers. There usually isn't a defender within 5 yards of the receiver. How do they expect to stop ANYTHING playing this far off?

yes! when my dad and I watch games together we note this constantly. often times when the opposing receiver catches the ball there isn't even a packer jersey to be found in the camera frame. it'd be one thing if they were contending and getting burnt. but to me the fact that there isn't anyone within shouting distance of these receivers tells me Capers is at least part of the problem.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I doubt he's aware of it, and even if he was I'd doubt he would care.

Someone did tag it with "
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
old", so I am guessing it wasn't anything too new at the time LOL

grampi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
yes! when my dad and I watch games together we note this constantly. often times when the opposing receiver catches the ball there isn't even a packer jersey to be found in the camera frame. it'd be one thing if they were contending and getting burnt. but to me the fact that there isn't anyone within shouting distance of these receivers tells me Capers is at least part of the problem.
They always look like they're standing around completely befuddled at what's going on around them, like none of them were supposed to be covering the guy who just caught the pass...WTH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts