Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't give a damn about 95 years of football. I know Green Bay history in and out.. but Packer fans need to stop referencing the history when trying to make a valid point. In 25 years GB has won 2 superbowls with AROD And Favre.

Well MM is 1-3 now in NFC Champ games so do you blame MM or Capers or TT or just bad luck?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I wasn't in a discussion with you concerning this. But since you seem to want to drop your notion of Masthay and Mortell are better than Schum......

You are obviously a fan who considers a SB win the only measure of success and anything else is a failure. So no matter what I say or what information is shown to you concerning just how successful the Green Bay Packers have been in the last 20 + years, you won't be satisfied, since in your eyes, they are a failure.

Make no mistake about it MM and Co. are constantly talking about what the expectations are and Championships and thats the measuring stick.

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well MM is 1-3 now in NFC Champ games so do you blame MM or Capers or TT or just bad luck?

All, Mccarthy lost the Seahawks game almost by himself. He also failed to go for 2 against Arizona on the final play after the hail mary when we had all the momentum. He is 10-8 with Rodgers and Favre. I am not sure why he didn't fire Capers after the 2012 season. I am not sure why our team always seems to start off a little sluggish. All i know is that if drastic measures aren't taken... we will waste the rest of AR's career... just like we wasted most of Favre's.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT should be roasted and then roasted again for Randall and Rollins. They are both awful and apparently injury prone.
I agree. It was never designed for Gunter to be no.1. Shields got hurt and Randle and Rollins cant stay healthy and when they are healthy they are a huge dissapointment. TT spent a 1st and a 2nd round pick on those guys. Thats heavy investment.
all of those things happened before the trade deadline. I feel it was inexcusable to not get Tramon back for a garbage 7th rd pick or whatever.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
All, Mccarthy lost the Seahawks game almost by himself. He also failed to go for 2 against Arizona on the final play after the hail mary when we had all the momentum. He is 10-8 with Rodgers and Favre. I am not sure why he didn't fire Capers after the 2012 season. I am not sure why our team always seems to start off a little sluggish. All i know is that if drastic measures aren't taken... we will waste the rest of AR's career... just like we wasted most of Favre's.

And here we are drafting 29th now.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
TT should be roasted and then roasted again for Randall and Rollins. They are both awful and apparently injury prone.

all of those things happened before the trade deadline. I feel it was inexcusable to not get Tramon back for a garbage 7th rd pick or whatever.

Yep, Just seems to be a stubbornness about the whole thing.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well.....Elliot an Gut didnt come back to do the same thing again. There will be changes in this front office. Even if SF was a garbage job.....its still a really high paying job.

bgrice91

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Falcons are there because they are lucky enough to have ZERO significant injuries. In the NFL injuries can make the difference in being #1 and #32.

Trufant? Can we please stop with the injury excuses it's not like they had to put 15 guys on IR or anything. Now that would've been impossible to overcome :D

Skerfalcon8710

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Falcons are there because they are lucky enough to have ZERO significant injuries. In the NFL injuries can make the difference in being #1 and #32.
Trufant, Shelby, Weatherspoon, clayborne. 4 defensive starters the first qtr of the season went down.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Trufant, Shelby, Weatherspoon, clayborne. 4 defensive starters the first qtr of the season went down.

The Falcons won because they were better than us on the night. WE can make excuses all day long, but that`s the simple fact. Well played Atlanta, and good luck in the Superbowl. ( drops the mic !)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have probably posted about firing Dom many times in this thread. I have come to realize its not his fault. What we see on a weekly basis is not even the defense he wants to run. He is taking a pile of **** and somehow arranging it in a way that allows for the Packers to win games. Everything is based on minimizing the opposition to field goals and hoping we score td's. He doesn't want to run that system...he has to. He wants 2 corners that you can leave in man coverage and trust so he can be creative with the safeties and lb's. He can't do that with the **** TT has given him. He has milked every ounce out of the talent on this D and what they accomplished this year is quite astounding.

They had every starter on defense healthy for this game from Day 1 besides Shields. They also invested their top 2 picks in corners 2 years ago. At this point last year Randall was a good young emerging corner. So what happened? Did he just suddenly suck, or is the coaching and develop lacking?

It's not all Capers' fault, but the idea he is blameless and just has absolute crap to work with is so laughable. Mike Daniels is a good player. Nick Perry is a good player. Burnett and HHCD are high caliber safeties. Matthews at one time was one of the best OLBs in the game. If he's no good anymore, cut him. But the idea that poor Dom just has crumbs to work with is laughable. His playoff failures have been going on for 6 out of 7 seasons with many, many different players.

Skerfalcon8710

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Falcons won because they were better than us on the night. WE can make excuses all day long, but that`s the simple fact. Well played Atlanta, and good luck in the Superbowl. ( drops the mic !)
Thank ya sir, I look forward to our rematch next season! We'll cyall in the new Mercedes benz dome! Get healthy!!

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They had every starter on defense healthy for this game from Day 1 besides Shields. They also invested their top 2 picks in corners 2 years ago. At this point last year Randall was a good young emerging corner. So what happened? Did he just suddenly suck, or is the coaching and develop lacking?

It's not all Capers' fault, but the idea he is blameless and just has absolute crap to work with is so laughable. Mike Daniels is a good player. Nick Perry is a good player. Burnett and HHCD are high caliber safeties. Matthews at one time was one of the best OLBs in the game. If he's no good anymore, cut him. But the idea that poor Dom just has crumbs to work with is laughable. His playoff failures have been going on for 6 out of 7 seasons with many, many different players.

Randall's career arc mirrors Adams. Promising young player after his first season, and a number of NFC personnel guys seemed to like him according to McGinn's reporting. Then in his second year the number 1 starter is lost earlier in the season and the second year man struggles with both increased expectations and injuries. Hopefully he bounces back, but the Packers need to find depth in free agency and need another high level draft pick at corner. Honestly it's hard to judge other elements of the defense because the corners have been so bad. When's the last time we produced a coverage sack? You cant even bring a safety up in the box on first downs because of our cornerplay.

As for Capers Id say we need a change either in personnel or in coaching. Since the FO will remain largely the same even Thompson does yield more of the GM responsibilities to Wolf and Gut IMHO the changes need to be made with Defensive coaching staff. Is it talent acquisition or is it player development?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes, so do all the players and coaches and GM's. They get paid to bring in super bowls. Everything else is a failure. If you think Favre and Rodgers winning 2 super bowls is success ... that is terrible.

Eli manning......has won 2. His retarted look and all.
Rex Grossman and Orton went to the SB.
Ravens won 2 with Flacco and DILFER. Come on.

Your statement here about Eli Manning, is all I need to say "our conversation is done". Good luck to you.

Make no mistake about it MM and Co. are constantly talking about what the expectations are and Championships and thats the measuring stick.

This is the part people forget. Yes, it is a measuring stick, but like all measuring sticks, you have different measurements from 0-100 or whatever scale you want to use. The previous posters measuring stick is simply "Superbowl or Failure". So if you are a fan who uses that measuring stick each and every year, nothing I write here is going to convince you otherwise.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, Packers finish one win away from a SB trip and the doomer and gloomers want to burn the whole house down. Should have seen this coming. Might as well fire everyone but AR, start over and see if we can compete with.......Cleveland?

Given that, for some of us, the last game of the season is the one we'll remember most, who impressed you or gave you significant hope for next year (including their cost/production ratio and the odds they'll play a full season).

The second most frustrating thing for me (after missing the big one since 2010, often in embarrassing fashion) is that it often seems they've got one area fixed, so they can concentrate on others, and then boom. No running game, here comes Lacy for two years, then nothing again. Bad CBs, two out-of-the-blue top draft choices who do well as rookies, then they can't cover anybody. Cook was a great addition this year (after a bunch of years without a TE threat, and a cheap FA, no less), so I'm really holding my breath for next year. 1st round draft choices on defense, netting us the same old, same old.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Given that, for some of us, the last game of the season is the one we'll remember most, who impressed you or gave you significant hope for next year (including their cost/production ratio and the odds they'll play a full season).

The second most frustrating thing for me (after missing the big one since 2010, often in embarrassing fashion) is that it often seems they've got one area fixed, so they can concentrate on others, and then boom. No running game, here comes Lacy for two years, then nothing again. Bad CBs, two out-of-the-blue top draft choices who do well as rookies, then they can't cover anybody. Cook was a great addition this year (after a bunch of years without a TE threat, and a cheap FA, no less), so I'm really holding my breath for next year. 1st round draft choices on defense, netting us the same old, same old.

Agreed, keeping a team on the winning side is a moving target, especially when injuries rear their ugly head. But that is what separates the winners from the losers and all a part of development and depth. With the way the Packers finished the last 8 games of the season, they proved they had depth, good enough depth to compete and win against a team like Dallas. Yesterday was a case of the wheels completely falling off a depleted roster, on the road, against a better team. I would go so far to say, play that game a month ago, we may have seen a different outcome. The loss sucked, but I refuse to let it spoil a pretty fun season or use it as a measuring stick of where the Packers are heading into 2017. The have some holes to fix, but not as bad as what we saw yesterday.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers=Mediocre

Take Rodgers off the Packers and they're not even a 500. Team. Like I've said before, no other QB in the league could do what Rodgers does for Geeen Bay. Carry this team to the playoffs just about every year with a bad defense. Without Rodgers I wouldn't even waste money on Sunday ticket to watch the Packers. The Cowboys are onthe rise, the Lions are getting better, the Falcons are on the rise, the Seahawks will be barter, the NFC isn't going to get any easier as a conference. Rodgers may never get ring #2 smh.

D

Deleted member 6794

Posted this somewhere else, but fits more here.

Not defending Capers for his body of work nor am I even saying he should keep his job since I'd probably get accused of those.

Dom tried just about everything. He played tight man, he blitzed, he didn't blitz, he played zone.

You can watch just the first Falcon drive for a good, quick example.

None of it worked because the execution was awful.

For anyone blaming Dom for this game.

1) What plays were bad a what should he have called instead?

2) What should he have done to stop the Falcons?

There really isn't much Dom could have done today with how the players played

I agree that Capers most likely couldn´t have done different that would have resulted in the defense performing at a higher level during yesterday´s game but his overall body of work suggests a change at defensive coordinator might be the smart way to go for the Packers.

While I agree that CB is a top need, I believe we need a complete overhaul in our secondary and D coaching staff, no CB alive will fix this D

I believe the secondary could drastically improve by adding a shutdown cornerback.

The packers don't need a S or LB they have lots of depth at the those positions, they should get a edge rusher. They had no presser at all on Matt Ryan today and none at all This season

The Packers don´t have a lot of quality depth at safety and inside linebacker. Cornerback and outside linebacker are in most need of an upgrade this offseason though.

Any way after the season someone can talk to the Patriots OCoordinator, or D Coordinator?

I don´t believe either McDaniels or Patricia are interested in a coordinator position somewhere else than New England.

I think we Need to address Special Teams too, they didn't get a single return TD this season and got burn many times. Also schum isn't cutting it, he the same as Tim mastasy, if anything the packers should have keep Peter Mortell look like he had lots upside

Punting wasn´t a decisive issue late this season therefore I´m fine with keeping Schum for next season.

Kenny Clark flat out sucks, and Dean lowery had one sack all year.

Rodgers has 341 sacks in 9 years. Some due to him yes.. but this Oline has been terrible since rodgers came into the league. The O line is very overrated and can never stay healthy. They showed that today.

Clark significantly improved over the course of the season and hopefully will turn into an impact player next year. It´s plain and simple ridiculous to believe the Packers offensive line was terrible this season.

Schum finished the regular season 24th in punting. This man has one job to do and he finished 24th. His net average was 39.5. That is ******* horrible. Your response is EXACTLY what is wrong with packer fans today. We are okay with mediocrity. This man has one job to do and he finished 24th on net average and 27th on punts downed in the 20. He did an okay job at Dallas which skewed his post season stats. I like to look at a full body of work.

Punting had absolutely nothing to do with the Packers season ending short of a Super Bowl or the team´s early season struggles.

Masthay didn't suck and neither does Schum. Masthay set the team record for net average for a season and he got rewarded by being replaced. We're not a dome team. No punter is going to come in here do what dome punters do. This is Green Bay.

Masthay struggled mightily over his last two years in Green Bay and it was the right decision to move on from him.

Yeah, but he didn't get them there. Orton did.

Grossman started every single game for the Bears in 2006. Orton didn´t throw a single pass that season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Agreed, keeping a team on the winning side is a moving target, especially when injuries rear their ugly head. But that is what separates the winners from the losers and all a part of development and depth. With the way the Packers finished the last 8 games of the season, they proved they had depth, good enough depth to compete and win against a team like Dallas. Yesterday was a case of the wheels completely falling off a depleted roster, on the road, against a better team. I would go so far to say, play that game a month ago, we may have seen a different outcome. The loss sucked, but I refuse to let it spoil a pretty fun season or use it as a measuring stick of where the Packers are heading into 2017. The have some holes to fix, but not as bad as what we saw yesterday.

Unfortunately I´m afraid the defense actually is as bad as we saw yesterday and unless the front office addresses multiple position on that side of the ball with quality players there will be more games like that once the offense doesn´t perform at an elite level.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where they'll probably pick up a non-impact defensive player. :)

Drafting a CB who can occupy one of two corner positions and not suck would be a pretty big impact. Honestly a Craig Newsome would give this defense a shot in the arm.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I´m afraid the defense actually is as bad as we saw yesterday and unless the front office addresses multiple position on that side of the ball with quality players there will be more games like that once the offense doesn´t perform at an elite level.

It's hard to judge the rest of the positions when your corners are THAT bad. You can't let your safeties roam and make plays when they have to keep everything in front of them. You can't rush the passer when receivers uncover almost immediately nor can you play the run aggressively.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Drafting a CB who can occupy one of two corner positions and not suck would be a pretty big impact. Honestly a Craig Newsome would give this defense a shot in the arm.

Wholeheartedly agree. My point was just that I'm not holding my breath.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's hard to judge the rest of the positions when your corners are THAT bad. You can't let your safeties roam and make plays when they have to keep everything in front of them. You can't rush the passer when receivers uncover almost immediately nor can you play the run aggressively.

Agreed, adding a #1 cornerback has to be the ultimate priority this offseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Where they'll probably pick up a non-impact defensive player. :)
:eek:

It's actually a fair point to make though when digging deep into some of the Packers "issues". The Packers by finishing near the top for several years, have put themselves into a position of picking near the end of each round, not just the first round either. The Patriots seem to be about the only other team that has successfully navigated the draft and its intended effect, competitive parity between the teams. But Bill Belichick tends to make better use of the other ways of acquiring talent as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts