Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

InFamous

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Too bad Gus Bradley is off the market. Personally I would like to see the defense playing faster and kind of a smashmouth way. No disrespect to Capers, but his complex 'confuse the QB' defense isn't working anymore. Might have something to do with the amount of tape opposing offense coordinator have. It always seems like his blitzes ain't surprising anyone anymore... and yes I know he has to deal with a lot of injuries of key players for his D the last few years, but nonetheless, new blood is needed, badly.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Several 3rd and 10's too!

Thats what is so gut wrenching about it is 3 and 14 isnt even safe for our defense to get off tbe field.

This is the down and distance in which his defense is suppose to thrive and its been quite the opposite.

Then the opponents offense converts it and they show that puzzeled look on MM's face like he is shocked. lol

The other one is showing Aaron looking up at the clock and scoreboard.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Here was my breakdown about yesterday's game, had a couple of people blame the talent and not Capers for the defensive melt down, what do you guys think, am I wrong? https://thefantasygreek.com/packers...mpionship-aaron-rodgers-jordy-nelson-defense/

Well written Jim and pretty much spot on. Thanks for sharing. Only thing you didn't tie in with the defensive issues, is the ultimate bigger question in my mind, "How much of this is on TT and the talent (or lack of) that he has given Capers to work with?" Obviously, that could be the subject line of a whole article in itself. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hey I'm still around and my frustrations are still the same. How this guy is still around is just funny at this point.

You're fired! LOL

82 pages and nobody is buying into your theory yet LOL......or at least those who make the decisions ;)

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well written Jim and pretty much spot on. Thanks for sharing. Only thing you didn't tie in with the defensive issues, is the ultimate bigger question in my mind, "How much of this is on TT and the talent (or lack of) that he has given Capers to work with?" Obviously, that could be the subject line of a whole article in itself. ;)

Thanks, I think for sure Thompson has to take some blame for it. He wagered on two young CBs and they regressed this season. He had no back up plan except for a former undrafted free agent. He needs to take some heat as well, fireable? Not sure on that.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, I think for sure Thompson has to take some blame for it. He wagered on two young CBs and they regressed this season. He had no back up plan except for a former undrafted free agent. He needs to take some heat as well, fireable? Not sure on that.

This is what gets me, they hung their hat on Shields to be their stud, you know, the guy with 4 concussions. You want to see if your other guys can hang, fine. But after they allowed 33, 31, 47, and 42 points four games in a row in the fall, you'd think they would make SOME kind of move. Unless they thought the season was over at that point.

TommyD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive showed my frustration with him. This game showed how horrible he is. Put your input
He has been ineffective for several years. Rarely calls for a blitz. Thinks that a 3 or 4 man rush will get the job done. He has no confidence in his secondary that's why he keeps 7 or 8 to cover, but everyone can see how ineffective that mentality is. Doesn't know how to teach man to man coverage. His secondary routinely gets torched and can't tackle. Enough is enough! Time to fire him and his defensive coaches. We are wasting Rogers time and talent and his time is running out.

H

HardRightEdge

But after they allowed 33, 31, 47, and 42 points four games in a row in the fall, you'd think they would make SOME kind of move.
When has Thompson ever made a move of note in-season? Heck, off-season acquisitions are so uncommon as to be shocking when they occur.

It's stay the course, 1,000 points of light!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
He has been ineffective for several years. Rarely calls for a blitz. Thinks that a 3 or 4 man rush will get the job done. He has no confidence in his secondary that's why he keeps 7 or 8 to cover, but everyone can see how ineffective that mentality is. Doesn't know how to teach man to man coverage. His secondary routinely gets torched and can't tackle. Enough is enough! Time to fire him and his defensive coaches. We are wasting Rogers time and talent and his time is running out.
Every one of his blitz packages that aren't a corner blitz off the edge leave the entire center of the field open for and easy 5, no 10, naye 15 yard pitch and catch on a crossing route where the defender is dragged another 5-10 yards downfield after he uses the angle and catches up.

picopack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sign the petition to get Dom Capers fired >>>> https://www.change.org/p/mike-mccar...a-the-green-bay-packers-defensive-coordinator

Even though the offense didn't execute their game plan it was the defense that was shredded for an insane about of points by every Falcons player. There at least 3 chances for them to create easy turnovers and they didn't...got to hold Dom Capers and his outdated system accountable. Mike and TT are probably next IMO.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is the solution firing Capers as our defensive coordinator or an issue of personel. Either it's how Capers is running his D or the guys on the field because those are two very different issues. I'm not saying I have the magic answer, I'm saying that's the magic question.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Is the solution firing Capers as our defensive coordinator or an issue of personel. Either it's how Capers is running his D or the guys on the field because those are two very different issues. I'm not saying I have the magic answer, I'm saying that's the magic question.

I will even add a 3rd layer, the man delivering Capers the Personnel that he is asked to coach and develop, Ted Thompson.

They (TT, Capers, players) all are interconnected and it's a circular connection, if that makes sense.

TT's job is to look at the defense and see what it needs, while keeping in mind what Capers needs and what type of player fits those needs and his coaching Style.

Its up to Capers to express those needs to TT and then take what TT gives him and use his abilities to coach those players.

It is up to the players to learn what Capers is coaching them and translate that onto the field. Meanwhile, the circle forms, TT is evaluating each player to determine if its a successful fit.

Simplistic, but complex all at the same time. Can you cut one cord without cutting the other? Sure, Capers could be fired and replaced, but TT still still needs to find players that a new DC could coach and have success with. Personally, I think there has to be a combination of either cutting one cord (Capers) and a cutting or at least modifying of the other (TT). Capers may not have all the guys he needs to successfully build his defense, but this has been an ongoing issue in Green Bay for too long. His defenses are statistically terrible against top 15 offenses in the regular season and even worse in the Playoffs. But whoever they bring in to replace him, has to have a voice with TT and the players he drafts, trades or signs as free agents. TT needs to be held accountable for his lack of giving Dom enough to work successfully with and if he isn't willing to modify the way he is operating at GM, he should go too. The 3rd cord, the players, all can't be fired, but better ones can fit in as they are obtained or developed.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will even add a 3rd layer, the man delivering Capers the Personnel that he is asked to coach and develop, Ted Thompson.

They (TT, Capers, players) all are interconnected and it's a circular connection, if that makes sense.

TT's job is to look at the defense and see what it needs, while keeping in mind what Capers needs and what type of player fits those needs and his coaching Style.

Its up to Capers to express those needs to TT and then take what TT gives him and use his abilities to coach those players.

It is up to the players to learn what Capers is coaching them and translate that onto the field. Meanwhile, the circle forms, TT is evaluating each player to determine if its a successful fit.

Simplistic, but complex all at the same time. Can you cut one cord without cutting the other? Sure, Capers could be fired and replaced, but TT still still needs to find players that a new DC could coach and have success with. Personally, I think there has to be a combination of either cutting one cord (Capers) and a cutting or at least modifying of the other (TT). Capers may not have all the guys he needs to successfully build his defense, but this has been an ongoing issue in Green Bay for too long. His defenses are statistically terrible against top 15 offenses in the regular season and even worse in the Playoffs. But whoever they bring in to replace him, has to have a voice with TT and the players he drafts, trades or signs as free agents. TT needs to be held accountable for his lack of giving Dom enough to work successfully with and if he isn't willing to modify the way he is operating at GM, he should go too. The 3rd cord, the players, all can't be fired, but better ones can fit in as they are obtained or developed.

I completely agree it's all interconnected. That's why if we decide to replace Capers and it turns out he wasn't the problem it doesn't matter if you replace him with the Pope. The problem would still exist only we could then entertain ourselves with a fire the Pope thread.

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum!

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
To delve a little deeper into that issue if we're talking TT and players needed there is a huge difference between need and availability. That goes for the draft as well. There just isn't always the player out there available who meets our specific need when we need it. There's a trade issue if you consider who to give up if such player happens to be available. Then there's finances. That's the business end of things. I think unfortunately sometimes it's a situation of Dom saying hey, Ted I could use a few CBs please and Ted saying OK let me pull them out of my magic hat.

That's part of the reason it's so hard to get into the upper echelon of teams and not only that remain there consistently. Acquiring players and addressing needs where availability is an issue is an extremely hard job.

TommyD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's both, but the coaches are ultimately accountable. I understand all the injuries but that happens to most if not all teams. The only way Gunter and Randall had a chance with the opponents primo receivers is if Capers gave them help over the middle and deep. This group had a tendency to play out of position (read SOFT).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I completely agree it's all interconnected. That's why if we decide to replace Capers and it turns out he wasn't the problem it doesn't matter if you replace him with the Pope. The problem would still exist only we could then entertain ourselves with a fire the Pope thread.

Remember.....St Vincent Lombardi always trumps the Pope ;)

I think TT has managed to punch his ticket to retiring as a Packer GM with his "I drafted AR" get out of jail free card. So if you have to start somewhere, Capers seems like the logical place to start. I wish I could write while I drive, well not really...both hands on wheel! But I was listening to a Packer Talk show and maybe Captain can find these stats. But they were talking about statistically how bad Capers defenses have been against good offenses. I think it was something like 44 points given up in playoff loses against top offenses and 37 points against top 15 offenses in the regular season. Whatever the numbers were, they compared them to "Brady's Defenses" during his time at New England.....and the numbers were just mind boggling different. I can see now why AR has the playoff record he has and only 1 SB ring.

Last edited:

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's both, but the coaches are ultimately accountable. I understand all the injuries but that happens to most if not all teams. The only way Gunter and Randall had a chance with the opponents primo receivers is if Capers gave them help over the middle and deep. This group had a tendency to play out of position (read SOFT).

Welcome to the forum, firstly!

That would put it back on Dom if he needs to keep his guys in line.

I think it's a deeper issue than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.