Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is wrong with Packer fans today is most don't have a clue what they're talking about. They like to look at everything as a separate entity and without context and act as if it all happens in a vacuum.

Outside of a rough start, punting was not an issue at any time this season or post season. Doesn't matter the stats say. Just like today, 99% of the johny come latelys are *****ing about defense all the while ignoring our on fire offense failed to score a single point in an entire half of football knowing we were facing a team with a very potent scoring offense and a mediocre defense
So finishing 27th in punting isn't an issue?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Our offense would only have been good enough if it had put up 45 or more. Pretty tall order.

That said, the fumbles and drops were pretty inexcusable. But it's tough when your only good RB is a converted WR, your WR1 is wearing a Kevlar vest, your WR2 is barely playing, and both starting guards go down with injuries.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess, it obviously cost us many games this year lol. In the grand scheme of things very very very important. I can't believe all those losses because of punting. Meanwhile we played an entire half of football against a mediocre defense in the nfccg and didn't score a single point. Damn punter

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't a blame game thread for today's game. I don't think anyone is going to deny that the offense wasn't good enough today. (although it's a little tough when you have to be perfect ).

The point is that the defense has some deep, deep problems that will continue if not addressed. I think most would agree the offense will be fine moving forward.
you think my intent was to blame the offense? Case and point

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mondio - The Packers had 4 drives in the first half. Only 4! missed FG, Fumble, Punt, INT (effectively a punt) Atlanta had the ball for like 22-23 minutes in the first half. Come on.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know a guy just wants to argue when he argues with himself :)

And then edits his posts

I know what they did. I watched every single play. Punting didn't cost us this game either

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I am as frustrated as anyone with Capers and the defense. I will say though following this run was one of my most enjoyable times following the Packers. They reeled off 8 wins and 2 big playoff games and IMO they just ran out of gas. Everything that could wrong today went wrokng from the opening kick off with Kentrell Brice getting hurt. Some might see that as not a significant injury but we ended up with Marwin Evans in the game. Maybe Capers could of called it differently with Brice in there and using 3 safety looks with better results. Im not saying we win this game with Brice in there but just everything got headed in wrong direction real quick. The defense got put under way to much stress early on the road.

IMO the fail was losing games to the Colts and the Titans earlier in the year and not securing a first round bye. The pedal finally broke and it happened in the NFC Champ game. It was the 13th week they played in a row. We can only sit back and wonder what could of been had this team had a bye and home field advantage.

The question is does TT get Capers the right players or does Capers schemes and defense no longer work in the NFL? I believe its a little bit of both.

I think this team has a lot of questions going into offseason from personnel to current regime which I fully expect Capers to be the one to fall on the sword with the others staying in control.

Last edited:

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know a guy just wants to argue when he argues with himself :)

And then edits his posts

I know what they did. I watched every single play. Punting didn't cost us this game either
Never said it did. You said Schum was fine.. and I pointed out hes 27th in punting. Clearly you don't realize how important field possession is.

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am as frustrated as anyone with Capers and the defense. I will say though following this run was one of my most enjoyable times following the Packers. They reeled off 8 wins and 2 big playoff games and IMO they just ran out of gas. Everything that could wrong today went wrong from the opening kick off with Kentrell Brice getting hurt. Some might see that as not a significant injury but we ended up with Marwin Evans in the game. Maybe Capers could of called it differently with Brice in there and using 3 safety looks with better results. Im not saying we win this game with Brice in there but just everything got headed in wrong direction real quick. The defense got put under way to much stress early on the road.

IMO the fail was losing home games to the Colts and the Titans earlier in the year and not securing a first round bye. The pedal finally broke and it happened in the NFC Champ game. It was the 13th week they played in a row. We can only sit back and wonder what could of been had this team had a bye and home field advantage.

The question is does TT get Capers the right players or does Capers schemes and defense no longer work in the NFL? I believe its a little bit of both.

I think this team has a lot of questions going into offseason from personnel to current regime which I fully expect Capers to be the one to fall on the sword with the others staying in control.
Titans was on the road. But nevertheless. I will also throw in the Washington game. Those 3 games coupled with this blowout sealed capers fate. He should have been fired after the 2012 season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never said it did. You said Schum was fine.. and I pointed out hes 27th in punting. Clearly you don't realize how important field possession is.
Of course I do, if you'd have been around you'd know exactly how I feel about it. That said, outside of a very rough start, our team was not really hampered by punting. Regardless of what your stats say.

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course I do, if you'd have been around you'd know exactly how I feel about it. That said, outside of a very rough start, our team was not really hampered by punting. Regardless of what your stats say.
Its about the mindset of the team and the fans. Anyone who is 5 spots away at being the worst anything in the league... should not be on the team. Yet TT made such a splash and let Mortell and Masthay go, all for this BUM?! Maybe TT should try to get LB's that can cover a damn RB. CB's that can jam a WR and get him off his route. CB's that have ball skills. WE dropped 4 INT's the last 2 games.. NOW THAT DID KILL US.

2 SB wins in 25 years with Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre. What a damn joke. Any Packers fan who is fine with that, should become a lions fan. End of Story.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Personally, he lost me as soon as he started typing that Masthay or Mortell, who is unemployed and has yet to kick a punt in a real NFL game were better punters than Schum. This is what happens when you don't watch all the games with a full understanding of a position and only rely on stats. Just my 2 cents.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The last thing im worried about right now is our punting situation.

Aaron Rodgers turning 34 this year and having so many issues in the secondary are at the top of the list. Maybe after things working out so well with Cook they will get more aggresive and "reshuffle the deck"

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally, he lost me as soon as he started typing that Masthay or Mortell, who is unemployed and has yet to kick a punt in a real NFL game were better punters than Schum. This is what happens when you don't watch all the games with a full understanding of a position and only rely on stats. Just my 2 cents.
But Masthey is a better punter than Schum. I let the numbers speak. Masthay & Schum both suck. So I am not sure how you can say Schum will be okay.. when he did worse than the man that was run out of town.. because he was god awful.

Masthay career: 44.2 avg & 40.1 Net
Schum: 43.2 & 39.1

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have probably posted about firing Dom many times in this thread. I have come to realize its not his fault. What we see on a weekly basis is not even the defense he wants to run. He is taking a pile of **** and somehow arranging it in a way that allows for the Packers to win games. Everything is based on minimizing the opposition to field goals and hoping we score td's. He doesn't want to run that system...he has to. He wants 2 corners that you can leave in man coverage and trust so he can be creative with the safeties and lb's. He can't do that with the **** TT has given him. He has milked every ounce out of the talent on this D and what they accomplished this year is quite astounding.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think there's a realistic balance between "It's all Capers fault" and "He's doing absolutely everything possible with what he has." I don't think either of those is close to true.

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, insight me. Insight me on how Masthay was worse. I have season tickets and go to about 12 games a year. I was in detroit when he punted a 35 yarder and an 18 yarder from our own 18. Wanna know what the next play was? A 35 yd Anquan boldin TD.

People are missing my point. Schum cant punt the ball its clear. So stop saying he will be fine. Cant our coaches see this in practice?! Cant they see " Man he is only punting the ball about the same distance as Masthay".

This is a coaching issue. The same with the DB's. Cant they see these scrubs cant cover Nelson and Cobb? They never change it up. IT's like doing the same math problem wrong over and over and over. Either A) Find someone who is smart enough to do it B) Dumb down the problem so that they can learn it.

Capers puts these guys on an island, and actually expects them to be able to hold up?! Is he on drugs? IF our DB's arent confused on who is playing man and who is playing zone, they are usually 3 steps behind the receiver. The thing is, our players don't get better as the year goes on. They get worse. That is on coaching.

bigboypasses

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have probably posted about firing Dom many times in this thread. I have come to realize its not his fault. What we see on a weekly basis is not even the defense he wants to run. He is taking a pile of **** and somehow arranging it in a way that allows for the Packers to win games. Everything is based on minimizing the opposition to field goals and hoping we score td's. He doesn't want to run that system...he has to. He wants 2 corners that you can leave in man coverage and trust so he can be creative with the safeties and lb's. He can't do that with the **** TT has given him. He has milked every ounce out of the talent on this D and what they accomplished this year is quite astounding.

A pile of ****? We were at full strength on Defense. IF you are calling our Starters a pile of ****.. id agree with you. But who drafts these guys? TT with the help of Mccarthy and Capers. Randall and Rollins both suck... they are garbage. Ladarius gunter is a scrub. Who's fault is this? Why cant our coaches actually coach. Why don't our players progress throughout the season instead of making the same mistakes over and over and over.

Cincinnatus_WKRP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there's a realistic balance between "It's all Capers fault" and "He's doing absolutely everything possible with what he has." I don't think either of those is close to true.

I think your point is right, but it really did look like the Falcons had 15 men on offense today. I am sorta shocked Capers still has the job, if only because I thought there'd be a sacrificial lamb after the Seahawks debacle in 2014 and then the Larry Fitzgerald tackling debacle last year. Maybe this year?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
TT clearly missed on Randle and Rollins. They both lack explosion out of breaks to play successful man to man.

Not fair to single out Gunter. He is an UDFA and has played well at times. He shouldnt be our no.1 and is doing the best with what he has to work with.

Cincinnatus_WKRP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT clearly missed on Randle and Rollins. They both lack explosion out of breaks to play successful man to man.

Not fair to single out Gunter. He is an UDFA and has played well at times. He shouldnt be our no.1 and is doing the best with what he has to work with.

I like Gunter, but Super Bowl winning teams don't have guys like him guarding OBJ, Dez, and Julio Jones in consecutive weeks.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I like Gunter, but Super Bowl winning teams don't have guys like him guarding OBJ, Dez, and Julio Jones in consecutive weeks.

I agree. It was never designed for Gunter to be no.1. Shields got hurt and Randle and Rollins cant stay healthy and when they are healthy they are a huge dissapointment. TT spent a 1st and a 2nd round pick on those guys. Thats heavy investment.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So, insight me. Insight me on how Masthay was worse.
Even better, enlighten me how Masthay was better over the last 2 years of his NFL career? Go crazy here, don't just use his gross average. I want to know how he was with flipping field position. How well he was kicking inside the 20. Masthays best kicks came between the 40's, when he kicked the ball into or out of the endzone.

I will start you out.

Masthay had 81 punts his final year: 18 were downed inside the 20. 14 Fair catches. 41 returned
Schum had 56 punts: 19 were downed inside the 2o. 18 fair catches 16 returned.

I was a big skeptic when Schum was brought in, but he proved to be a much better punter than Masthay had been. Am I saying he is a top 10 punter? No, but you saying Masthay or Mortell were better? Really?

BTW, Tossing Mortell's name out as being a better option, doesn't help your case.

Cincinnatus_WKRP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. It was never designed for Gunter to be no.1. Shields got hurt and Randle and Rollins cant stay healthy and when they are healthy they are a huge dissapointment. TT spent a 1st and a 2nd round pick on those guys. Thats heavy investment.

That's true. When you couple those misses with TT's inability to sign (or hatred of signing) any veterans, you're left with guys like Gunter playing in big spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts