Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was certainly the case with Josh Jones tonight.

No, lets not fire Capers. Lets have him volunteer to "spend more time with his family".

He strikes me as a Professorial type, would be a great educator in a Coaching College but just has too many ideas bouncing around his head for him to be effective as a coach in the long term. Yes let him retire to spend more time with his family.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Anyone have a list of "Career/Season Best performances" hung on Caper's defenses over his time in Green Bay? I swear it's the same thing every week, "So and so is having a career/season high performance against the Packers today.

Yesterday it was Christian McCaffrey and Greg Olson. Both good players, but both put up season highs against the Packers defense yesterday.

Olson has been hurt for a good part of the season and that was only his 5th game. In his previous 4 games: 4 catches for 38 yards 0 TD's.

Yesterday..... 9 catches for 116 yards and 1 TD.

This isn't just Capers not making adjustments, it's the opposing team studying his defense and saying "This is how we are going to successfully attack Capers defense."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Dave Aranda ?

I would prefer someone who is not a 65 year old retread.

I really liked what Aranda did at Wisconsin and continues to do at LSU. He is highly regarded as one of the up and coming young coaches at the college level. I can't help but think he might view going from LSU to the NFL/Green Bay as potential career suicide? He has a good gig going in LSU, getting paid close to $2M/year and eventually will be offered a head coaching job at the college level.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually believe that the odds of Capers getting fired are less than 50%..... please let me be wrong.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really liked what Aranda did at Wisconsin and continues to do at LSU. He is highly regarded as one of the up and coming young coaches at the college level. I can't help but think he might view going from LSU to the NFL/Green Bay as potential career suicide? He has a good gig going in LSU, getting paid close to $2M/year and eventually will be offered a head coaching job at the college level.

Well, we are currently paying Dom Capers more than 2 million for his lack of production, so I don't think Aranda would be looking at a paycut from his LSU check.

All would depend on how he felt about transitioning his career to the NFL I suppose.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So who should the team target as a replacement for Capers if they miraculously decide to let him go?

I'm not going to pretend to know who the best replacement is for Capers, but I would just be excited to hear that the time has come for that change to finally happen.

Here is the most recent article I could find on the subject. Obviously, this is just one author's opinion. Personally, I would not want to see any of the current Packer coaches promoted into Dom's spot. I think fresh blood is needed.

I've always liked the Ryan brothers (as coaches), but I think I would be in the minority in that opinion.

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/...atch-if-the-packers-part-ways-with-dom-capers

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marvin Lewis should be right at the top ot the list to replace Dummy Dom. Even if it means switching schemes.. oh well. 6 of the top 10 ranked defenses play a 43. 43 personnel is definitely on the roster.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Not saying I like it but my bold prediction is everyone comes back as far as coaches and front office.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Of course, everyone gets a free pass for this year, since Rodgers was out for half the season.

Hopefully, that has very little to do with the evaluation of the defense and its coaching staff. Sure the defense had some injuries to contend with this year, but nothing really that different from what other teams face every season. Injuries, IMO, should be off the table for free passes for the defense this year, that card was also played after last season.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Hopefully, that has very little to do with the evaluation of the defense and its coaching staff. Sure the defense had some injuries to contend with this year, but nothing really that different from what other teams face every season. Injuries, IMO, should be off the table for free passes for the defense this year, that card was also played after last season.

MM has one more year left on his contract. Doubt he gets rid of Capers now unless he gets extended going into his final year. It's gotta come from MM.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course, everyone gets a free pass for this year, since Rodgers was out for half the season.
That is exactly the reason why Teddy should hit the bricks. Once again Rodgers' injury exposed the lack of talent he has assembled around him, and even when Rodgers does play, since the Seattle meltdown this team is barely over 500 on the road and 27-19 overall. WITH Rodgers. Nobody is afraid to play this team anymore. Is Capers a liability? You bet he is. But when you have to fight to the death to beat tomato cans like the Bucs and Browns, (and let's face it, we had no business even beating the Bucs. They gave the game to us on a silver platter) can you really chalk it all up to coaching? There is no coach, living or deceased, that can make a difference with the personnel on the defensive side of the ball as it’s currently constructed. This organization needs a clean sweep. The Vikings have obviously vaulted ahead of us, as well as pretty much every playoff contender in the NFC.

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That is exactly the reason why Teddy should hit the bricks. Once again Rodgers' injury exposed the lack of talent he has assembled around him, and even when Rodgers does play, since the Seattle meltdown this team is barely over 500 on the road and 27-19 overall. WITH Rodgers. Nobody is afraid to play this team anymore. Is Capers a liability? You bet he is. But when you have to fight to the death to beat tomato cans like the Bucs and Browns, (and let's face it, we had no business even beating the Bucs. They gave the game to us on a silver platter) can you really chalk it all up to coaching?

This is what I've been saying for almost a year now. Need to cut it off at the head with Thompson.

D

Deleted member 6794

I see a lot of defensive talent on this team that is going too waste. I dont see any holes on the team. Yes we could use some upgrades at CB and at 5T and depth at OLB. But the biggest need we have is at coaching.

I see other defenses doing much better with less talent.

It is time for a change.

You gotta be kidding that there aren't any holes on the defensive side of the ball. While the Packers definitely have some talented players on the unit the team completely lacks elite ones and overall doesn't have close to as much talent as a lot of other teams. I agree that Capers should be gone this offseason but Thompson needs to be replaced as well.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dave Aranda ?

I would prefer someone who is not a 65 year old retread.

Aranda scares me a bit as a guy who might also be too clever. Even at Wisconsin his personnel groupings used to create chaos on occasion, which makes you wonder what he'd try at the NFL.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You gotta be kidding that there aren't any holes on the defensive side of the ball. While the Packers definitely have some talented players on the unit the team completely lacks elite ones and overall doesn't have close to as much talent as a lot of other teams. I agree that Capers should be gone this offseason but Thompson needs to be replaced as well.
No elite players (which I agree with) and no holes are two very different things.

And I entirely disagree that there are a lot of teams with far more talent. You just can't look at the defensive ranking and draw definitive conclusions regarding the level of talent. Coaching and game planning are significant influences on a defense's success.

If you take Steeler DC and switch him with Dom, and the Packers are a top 10 team and the Steelers are bottom 10. I was optimistic that even Dom would pull his **** together for a season with the talent he has. He did not.

Compare our defensive roster to Steelers. You blend our rosters and you will have 5 or 6 starters from each team. It is fairly close talent wise. The difference is coaching. That has them ranked 3rd and the Pack at 25.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there anyone that's learned under Wade Phillips that isn't old as dirt that could be available? Wade always seems to have pretty dominant defenses when he's a coordinator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts