Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I would say that Sam shields having 4.3 speed turned him into a pro bowl player. He was often out of position... but still made the play by the time the ball got there.

Shields was actually clocked by some in 4.2's. But yes his elite speed allowed him to do some things that others can't.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would say that Sam shields having 4.3 speed turned him into a pro bowl player. He was often out of position... but still made the play by the time the ball got there.

Good point and one that seems to say that TT should get some credit for seeing that raw potential. Of course, that kind of thinking has been detrimental with other players TT has brought in....so 2 edged sword.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there anything this defense doesn't rank in the bottom 3?

3rd Down Completion %: 69.0% (32nd)
3rd Down Conversions: 44.8% (30th)
Scoring Efficiency: 40.3% (31st)
TD Efficiency: 23.5% (32nd)
RZ Scoring Efficiency: 100% (32nd)
RZ TD Efficiency: 69.2% (31st)
5 Minute Drives: 26 (T-32nd)
10 Play Drives: 30 (30th)

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I think, when they do actually fire him, I'll throw a party here. If you want to come, let me know.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There has to be a change at this point, I am Captain Obvious. But I just wonder about who. Too much change and it will be a season or 2 until the guys are really into the system and able to run it fully, not enough and it's the same old same old. I think whoever the change is, growing pains are going to be expected. But after these last few seasons, those pains shouldn't be any worse than the pains of being consistently bad at the worst times we've had to endure.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There has to be a change at this point, I am Captain Obvious. But I just wonder about who. Too much change and it will be a season or 2 until the guys are really into the system and able to run it fully, not enough and it's the same old same old. I think whoever the change is, growing pains are going to be expected. But after these last few seasons, those pains shouldn't be any worse than the pains of being consistently bad at the worst times we've had to endure.

Mcvay turned the Rams around his first season. Sometimes you gotta take two steps backwards to make three steps forward.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score

10 Play Drives: 30 (30th)
I thought Ted was at least trying to improve the defense during the offseason, but it's as bad or worse than ever.
This has to be laid on Capers.
I like McCarthy, but it scares me senseless to think that he might actually want to keep him around for another year.

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score

10 Play Drives: 30 (30th)[/
I thought Ted was at least trying to improve the defense during the offseason, but it's as bad or worse than ever.
This has to be laid on Capers.
I like McCarthy, but it scares me senseless to think that he might actually want to keep him around for another year.
you sign Ricky Jean then cut him, price wins DL challenge two years in a row you cut him , then you draft montravious Adams who will be a bust , then you go and get dial who's not good you keep Lowry and you expect Clark and Daniels not to wear out , 31 of 32 teams rotate not DL not capers

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll give you Hayward's rookie year, absolutely he was very good as a rookie. But that kind of goes back to the inconsistencies we were talking about. I'll even give you his 2nd year, being injury riddled. But he was coming back from injury his 3rd year? It takes a young player an entire additional season after the injury in the previous one before we can expect them to continue developing?

Also not sure what the entire secondary rating has to do with his individual performance in his 4th year, considering we still had Shields and Hayward himself did not have a very good 4th year. Thus why he only got 5M a year in free agency. At his current performance level if he was a free agent he'd be looking at 12-14M a year at least.

Yes, I can absolutely see a young player, plagued with major hamstring injuries, not knowing how to train/practice/play the next season and spending that season testing the limits of his leg. I don't think that's a far-fetched assumption. As for the secondary performance his fourth year, I was simply pointing out that he DID have a very good year that year, along with other players in the secondary, so I'm not sure how anyone could say he was underwhelming that season. I.e., he played well in year four, so it's not surprising that he continued to improve in year five. He got 5 million a year with the Chargers because Ted Thompson decided to spend the money on Nick Perry (who had the only good year of his career and now looks to be a big mistake).

Judging talent is the GMs job and Thompson failed miserably with Hayward. He thought he could replace Hayward with Rollins or Randall (he obviously had no idea what would happen with Shields). Now it looks like Randall MIGHT be proving his worth but the Packers could have kept Hayward at pennies of his value and used draft picks elsewhere to shore up a defense sorely in need of talent.

In closing, fire Capers, fire MM, and put Thompson on notice that he needs to rebuild the front office to the point that his over-reliance on the draft starts to work again.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You forget that by seasons ened Hayward was quickly losing playing time to both rookies who were playing well. Go back and read the reviews of them by Packer beat writers, fans, and 3rd party reviewers like PFF. I think that had far more to do with him not being re-signed than any money going to Perry.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not good news.... Frankly while I have generally been a supporter of McCarthy, if he continues to stick with Dom.
Capers can coach as long as he wants to as far as I'm concerned, as long as it isn't with Green Bay. He can go give up 500 yards of offense to high school teams.

I've always liked McCarthy, but if he doesn't unload Capers after this season, I'm going to join the Fire McCarthy ranks. This has gone on long enough, and if he still wants to keep him around, it's on his head. If Capers stays around, next season will be just as pointless as this one, and it will be difficult to get up any enthusiasm for it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
MM is not going to fire Capers with MM's current 1 year left on his contract. Why would he go with A brand new defensive coordinator? A lot of moving parts here and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MM is not going to fire Capers with MM's current 1 year left on his contract. Why would he go with A brand new defensive coordinator? A lot of moving parts here and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
If I was Ted I'd offer Mike an extension with the condition he gets a new defensive coordinator. Who knows how Ted feels about it though. Having Capers around probably deflects a lot of the criticism that would otherwise be heading his way.

I just dread the thought of another season with this same defense (or lack thereof). There's no reason on the planet that we couldn't have a decent defense. They were saying on TV the other day that since Green Bay doesn't have an owner, no one is accountable, and that's part of the problem. Murphy, Thompson, McCarthy, and Capers should all be accountable, but for some reason they don't seem to be.

The younger guys here have gotten just the smallest taste of what the 70s and 80s were like with this past season. Except the 70s and 80s were much worse.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

That's what happens when there is zero accountability. Capers is just living the lie and making money doing it. I ran sales teams back in the day and I can't tell you how often a mediocre salesman would just keep showing up everyday and continue to fail over and over again and act like everything was just great.

You have to put some people out of there misery for them otherwise some people will just continue the same thing and as long as you allow them to do it they will continue which doesn't help anybody.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCarthy should pay back every year that he
You forget that by seasons ened Hayward was quickly losing playing time to both rookies who were playing well. Go back and read the reviews of them by Packer beat writers, fans, and 3rd party reviewers like PFF. I think that had far more to do with him not being re-signed than any money going to Perry.
Sorry, but that is wrong. Hayward was a starter during the entire season. PFF was adamant about GB keeping Hayward.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I think the question after the last few years should be becoming more, "Why WOULDN'T he?"

McCarthy was asked about the plan going forward today, and while he didn't specifically mention Dom's name, he was adamant that it's time for people to be held accountable for the negative aspects of this team that keep recurring.

I can't imagine he's talking about offensive perimeter coach David Raih.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not good news.... Frankly while I have generally been a supporter of McCarthy, if he continues to stick with Dom... I may no longer be able to support him. Making the tough choices is part of being the head coach and if he can't do it... it may be time for him to go coach another team.

Sadly, this may be quite true but then you move up one more rung and say "TT.....do you have the balls to pull the trigger?" If TT won't, then you move up to almost the final rung, Mark Murphy. If Murphy won't pull the trigger, then the good old boys clubs stays in tact or the the Executive Board steps in and says "Everybody out of the pool!".

Part of this is that there is enough blame (and some credit) to be passed around to all 3 (TT, MM and DC) so it's easy for each of them to take cover and hope the chips don't start falling.

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel they've let to many DL go ,each year you draft a DL , capers or someone doesn't know how to coach DL , dean Lowry isn't that guy Ricky Jean is doing just fine in patriot land price was doing just fine in Dallas until hurt , so what do you not see in certain players ,good luck Clark and Daniels because you will need it

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
I believe Capers will be gone after the season. He can resign or be fired and I don't care which one as long as he is gone. My biggest fear as that MM will just promote from within when this coaching staff is in serious need of new blood. That may be difficult with 1 year left on the contract for McCarthy.

Reese2017

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look at the DL movement in the last 6 years that's the defense problem , you need push up the middle first to have a great defense not 260 pound speed guys all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.