Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
BTW - can any of the mods run a count of who the top posters are in the history of the Fire Capers thread? That would be an interesting stat!

lumpyHank

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ive showed my frustration with him. This game showed how horrible he is. Put your input
I just don't think he has the talent to work with. I think overall Greenbay has subpar talent. Even on offense where TT has tried to surround Rodgers with weapons, GB is only above average. Missing on picks and refusal to plug needs with free agents has cost Rodgers more superbowls.
FIRE TED THOMPSOM. How you run a 34 D and not make outside linebacker your biggest priority is baffling. Packers have always seemed soft under TT

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do not deny capers is a genius when it comes to schemes and strategies. He is trail blazing the 2-4-5 imo. There is something there imo....

But personally, I have always been a DE in heart. I think the 4-3 with a great man coverage secondary is the best defense. Like the Reggie white, Gilbert brown, Santana Dotson, Sean Jones days... those 4 got pressure...
Today's NFL is pass dominant, and the base 4-3 would be a rare sighting. But a 3-3-5 nickel is a stronger option that this 2-4-5 capers is stubbornly holding on to...

Thompson has let a few real good Dlinemen go in the last year, because GB can't justify keeping more than 5 Dlinemen at a time... which is why we are always one injury away from being short handed up front on d...

I'm ready for a shift on defensive strategy to more big guys like Clark, and Daniels. And less dependence on olbs rushing and zone coverages...

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't think he has the talent to work with. I think overall Greenbay has subpar talent. Even on offense where TT has tried to surround Rodgers with weapons, GB is only above average. Missing on picks and refusal to plug needs with free agents has cost Rodgers more superbowls.
FIRE TED THOMPSOM. How you run a 34 D and not make outside linebacker your biggest priority is baffling. Packers have always seemed soft under TT

I think it's the opposite. Plenty of talent on that D and Capers doesn't know how to utilize it to the best of their abilities. He's an idiot.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wrong Wrong Wrong! Capers is what makes Aaron Rodgers great. Without Capers, Aaron wouldn't need to carry the team on his back every week, scoring unmercifully on opponents trying to outpace what our defense gives up.

Letting go of Capers would be the worst thing you could do for Rodgers stats - which is all that ever matters! :p

:roflmao: So instead of losing games 51-45, like that Arizona playoff lose , we win them 21-0? I wouldn't mind THAT!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's the opposite. Plenty of talent on that D and Capers doesn't know how to utilize it to the best of their abilities. He's an idiot.

When there are wide open receivers like Gordon's first catch and a Browns third and long conversion, those are players issues though.

No play is ever designed to leave a WR wide open downfield.

Not saying Capers is good, but there are also clear instances of player issues as well.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's better than Bush though. I didn't get the Bush hate, he was supposed to be like the last guy off the bench, but was a very good special teams players. and he was that and then some. He was a low depth defensive guy that had to play way more snaps than he should have had to. he made some plays and missed some plays. Did his primary job better than most, and made some big plays where he wasn't really expected to. Randall is supposed to be better, and he has been since his benching. I thought he was done after that. I figured it was going to go either way, he quit or he got better. I'm glad he chose not to waste his talent or opportunity.

The Bush hate was because some people think we should be 5 deep at every position (like OT this year and WR a few years ago).

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When there are wide open receivers like Gordon's first catch and a Browns third and long conversion, those are players issues though.

Not saying Capers is good, but there are also clear instances of player issues as well.

Yes and no. Who is coaching these players? Personally, I am ready to see Joe Whitt be given his walking papers alone with Capers. He may have turned FA Sam Shields into gold, but beyond that, I am unimpressed.

Reaction score
Yes and no. Who is coaching these players? Personally, I am ready to see Joe Whitt be given his walking papers alone with Capers. He may have turned FA Sam Shields into gold, but beyond that, I am unimpressed.
Yes. We need to dig deep in the Defensive roots and make sure this ugly weed doesn’t grow back.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes. We need to dig deep in the Defensive roots and make sure this ugly weed doesn’t grow back.

Agreed. This isn't just rookie UDFA's looking like crap, its high draft picks. Hate to say it, but I look at a team like the Vikings and how they have built their defense and its night and day, with less draft resources being spent up der in Minnesota.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
BTW - can any of the mods run a count of who the top posters are in the history of the Fire Capers thread? That would be an interesting stat!
Definitely a “big data” solution for a programmer to work on.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Capers isn't holding those players accountable or simply not teaching them correctly. See Patriots...

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Capers isn't holding those players accountable or simply not teaching them correctly. See Patriots...

Or the players are not good enough to be consistently good.

As fans, we have no way of knowing which it is.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score

I, for one, am too lazy. I've simply called for Capers head for a loooonnngg time. His days are long past and they need to turn the reigns over to a DC who can work with today's offense happy, scoring happy, quarterback happy, NFL.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say let's get a new defensive coordinator, and if that doesn't resolve the problem, then it must be TT. And he is gone after next year anyway, unless he signs a new contract.
He had a pretty good offseason this year. There's no way they fire Thompson anyway. I'm not so sure McCarthy even gets rid of Capers, but it's more likely that they "let him retire" than firing Thompson.

I think the 4-3 with a great man coverage secondary is the best defense. Like the Reggie white, Gilbert brown, Santana Dotson, Sean Jones days... those 4 got pressure...
Problem is the 4-3 is, what are the chances we have guys like White, Brown, Dotson, and Jones? Those four guys were probably better than our entire roster (minus Rodgers).

Packer4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great idea! I hope in your letter you included the link to this thread, all 122 pages of it, dating back to its inception date of 9/9/12?
As a matter of fact, I did refer him to this forum and thread. I mentioned the numerous pages. Actually, that was in last year's letter. I received no response from that one. I wrote my first one the year before last and received a handwritten response on M Murphy stationery. He basically thanked me for my input and claimed to share my concern. Of course, he also had to say that he expected a positive change in the performance of the team. I haven't written one this year....yet lol!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, individual instruction isn't Capers' job. That's what position coaches are for. His job is to design the scheme and personel packages (he still needs to go). Since it seems the majority of our problems involve the secondary, maybe it's time to get rid of Perry and Whitt.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When receivers are repeatedly open, it's more than a player issue.

Look at this, if Clay didn't hit Kizer in OT, they had 2 open receivers - one of them with no Packer within 15 yards of him - they would have had an easy TD to end the game.

http://packerswire.usatoday.com/2017/12/11/how-clay-matthews-probably-saved-the-packers-season/
part of that though takes out where the QB is looking and where he is moving and what the defense was. The guy on the left side was probably most worrisome, the defender came off him and went to the guy underneath. Knowing down and distance and timing of what the defense is "supposed" to allow. Maybe they're taught to come to the underneath guy then? I'd have to say the likelihood of him running left and throwing left 50+ yards down the field from where he stood with pressure coming at him were pretty low regardless. I don't think the guy in the middle of the field was ever a threat in the context of the play.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The thing that bothers me is that in 3rd and 7 or more; the two deep safties don't have enough time to get to the receiver and make the tackle or break up the pass before he has the 1st down. We just play too deep!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
part of that though takes out where the QB is looking and where he is moving and what the defense was. The guy on the left side was probably most worrisome, the defender came off him and went to the guy underneath. Knowing down and distance and timing of what the defense is "supposed" to allow. Maybe they're taught to come to the underneath guy then? I'd have to say the likelihood of him running left and throwing left 50+ yards down the field from where he stood with pressure coming at him were pretty low regardless. I don't think the guy in the middle of the field was ever a threat in the context of the play.
Browns probably had the same thought on the Packers first TD.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Browns probably had the same thought on the Packers first TD.
Kind of, maybe :) I think he just snuck behind them and Hundley was moving to his right, not really running away from pressure. it was coming right at him. Kizer was running to his left and had to turn his body to make any sort of throw and it had to go further. a little more difficult.

D

Deleted member 6794

The thing that bothers me is that in 3rd and 7 or more; the two deep safties don't have enough time to get to the receiver and make the tackle or break up the pass before he has the 1st down. We just play too deep!

Yet the Packers (26.8%) are pretty close to the league average (26.3%) in first downs allowed in those situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.