Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde was a football player. Could do anything you asked him...imo he was better than Rollins and Randall...throw Haha in there as well. Haha is a guy who makes a play every four games. I've never been as high on him as some of you are. Then again..he could probably leave and go somewhere else and become Ed Reed smh

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nevertheless I’m sure someone on here will unearth some obscure stat and try to twist it into a story to tell us how good Dom’s doing. Honestly now, how on earth can anybody dispute the facts of that article, I find it extremely embarrassing to be at or near the bottom of basically every imaginable defensive statistic known to mankind. But hey, we got a lot of time invested in Dom, and he’s our guy.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This basically sums it up. A lot of individuals performing well, with no cohesion or results on the field.

Per PFF:

High Quality: Kenny Clark, Mike Daniels, Morgan Burnett

Above Average: Clay Matthews, Blake Martinez

Average: Nick Perry, Davon House, Haha Clinton-Dix(0.9 points below average)

So 8 of 11 starters are average to high quality. 3 are none of the above, but we also have 3 high quality players, so you think it would all equal an above average defense. But it's not. It is terrible.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article. For those who don't read it, it can be summed up as, "Dom has good players now and his defenses still suck."

The two most frequently used excuses by the very few remaining Capers' apologists, 'he doesn't have anything to work with,' and 'just too many injuries to succeed', have taken a major beating lately.

One of my takeaways, Matthews with 11 pressures and hits is getting to the quarterback but that the coverage is so bad at a unit level that he just doesnt have time to close the deal. Were coverage better we'd see more pressure more sacks and more throw aways and a defense that could get off the field on third downs. No the problem with unit coverage isn't personnel at this point.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How bad do you have to be on defense to give up a 1st down on almost every third and long you're in? If they get off the field on third down they probably beat the Saints and the Vikings. Capers is going to play zone and depend on the rushers off he edge to hit home. That's why you see all the open space in the the middle of the field and our corners playing 8 yds off. If you've followed the Packers over the past decade or so you've become costume to seeing Tightends open overr the middle of the field on a consistent basis.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3rd and long have been almost a gimme with this defense. At best a 50/50 proposition it seems. Like I said before, putting teams in 3rd and long fairly often is good, not getting off the field on them is bad. How can this defense be so good and so bad on a consistent basis. 4th down is about as sure as thing as you'll find in football against this defense. It's frustrating to say the least.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3rd and long have been almost a gimme with this defense. At best a 50/50 proposition it seems. Like I said before, putting teams in 3rd and long fairly often is good, not getting off the field on them is bad. How can this defense be so good and so bad on a consistent basis. 4th down is about as sure as thing as you'll find in football against this defense. It's frustrating to say the least.
I cannot understand how this keeps happening so many times. There has to be an answer to our failures on 3rd and long as long as this has been happening. Other teams do not respect this defense,as many times other teams have gone for it on 4th down against us and succeeded

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I cannot understand how this keeps happening so many times. There has to be an answer to our failures on 3rd and long as long as this has been happening. Other teams do not respect this defense,as many times other teams have gone for it on 4th down against us and succeeded
It's like they don't even care that's 4th down anymore it seems like. now it's worse. They don't respect the defense or the offense. 4th and 2 and your own 45? go for it, why not. What's the worst that happens? GB gains 3 yards and punts?

I'm not being completely serious of course, but until this offense converts and this defense makes some critical stops, we might as well get used to it.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I told you why it keeps happening in my previous post. The WORLD knows that Capers is going to blitz the backers and play a soft zone coverage behind that blitz 60% of the time. Throw in the fact that he's running Nickle coverage 80% of the time as well. So when you blitz you basically have to depend on your MLB to be able to cover in space (which none of ours can) which is why you saw Burnett in as the MLB on obvious passing downs. But when you play zone there's is ALWAYS going to be an open area or two within that zone... Always. If you play a smart QB and he has time? He's going to pick your defense apart.

People were talking about Hyde having a pro bowl caliber type season, well that's not shocking too me, especially having known Hyde is always around the ball and he's in a scheme where they actually play a ton of man..just like Hayward over in San Diego. When you play man coverage, unless you just can't cover or run with anyone...the spaces to complete passes are much smaller as the DB is usually within a 2-3 yard radius of the wr therefore making the probability of intercepting a pass or breaking it up higher..but when you play zone, you're responsible for occupying an area therefore leaving much more room for a wr to find a hole and sit down in..which lead to easy completions. Capers is the zone blitz king haha

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's nice to see the media finally calling out Capers. Because of that, if the defense continues to flounder the rest of the year, which it most likely will, there will be more pressure on McCarthy to finally cut Capers loose. If McCarthy still keeps him on, then he's just as responsible for their shortcomings, and when all is said and done, Teddy and McCarthy are bums who wasted the career of one of the best QBs ever.

pizzle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm watching the Jets-Bills game, and paying attention to NY's defense in particular. Man, we need Todd Bowles so damn bad. Granted, they have #96 and #92 who cause a ton of havoc on the line. And, even though Martinez has played well this season, Darron Lee is EXACTLY the guy I thought he'd be coming out of Ohio State. A fast ILB that can cover and be used like an OLB in certain blitz packages.

So while I would say (including the rookie safeties playing like vets) the Jets have better personnel overall than GB, watching them on the tube to me shows a glaring difference in how the players are executing a style consistently that is not that much different than ours. NY lines up in a 3-4 front most of the time. They also use a 2-4-5 look. Heck, they've got Mike Pennel on their roster as a backup nose.

Their OLBs aren't world beaters, but they're not liabilities either. What I'm seeing is gap integrity/proper run fits time and time again. There was a play where the line disrupted a tight pocket just enough for #58 to run a delayed blitz from an initial spy look. Perfectly executed. You see our D-line get stoned all the time right at the LOS and/or LBs/DBs rushing/spying ineffectively either in the same gap or in a way that opens up wide lanes for the QB to throw/escape on a run out of the pocket. SMH...

What's worse-Before this game NY was a 3-5 team. Yet their defense was playing like they were the ****ing Seahawks when they first starting smacking teams. Like they were in 1st place in the AFC East. Flying around the ball. That fumble they caused against O'Leary? All the DBs. AFTER the TE got up untouched, they straight back-alley punked him out of the football. Our DBs woulda tripped/stumbled around until he gained 20 more yards, and then patty-caked him to the ground near the redzone.

The Jets' D won them this game vs Buffalo. Against a savvy, mobile QB and decent opposing defense that kept it close for awhile. NO MORE EXCUSES. THE DEFENSIVE PLAYERS FOR GREEN BAY ARE NOT GETTING IT DONE FOR US. WE ARE NOT DRAFTING THE RIGHT TYPE OF ATHLETES/COACHING THEM THE RIGHT WAY/IMPLEMENTING A SCHEME ON GAMEDAY WELL ENOUGH TO BE THE CONTENDER WE "CLAIM" TO BE.

FIRE CAPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I legitimately cannot wait to see this forum the day Dom Capers is finally let go. In assumption it happens at the conclusion of this season (as I have assumed at the conclusion of every season for the past 4), it will be the best day of my year. That includes my wedding next year (don't tell my fiance).

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How bad do you have to be on defense to give up a 1st down on almost every third and long you're in? If they get off the field on third down they probably beat the Saints and the Vikings. Capers is going to play zone and depend on the rushers off he edge to hit home. That's why you see all the open space in the the middle of the field and our corners playing 8 yds off. If you've followed the Packers over the past decade or so you've become costume to seeing Tightends open o wr the middle of the field on a consistent basis.

It's maddening to watch but there are always high percentage throws just 8-12 yards off the line of scrimmage. If you're going to drop your safeties deep you have to set your coverages up to to limit or take away the stuff in the middle. Force offenses to throw to the sidelines where the routes take longer to develop and your safeties might be able to help out.

Regarding whether or not the defense lost the last two games, look we've pumped how many first and second rounders into this defense over the years? At this point in time it should be a defense that can win games for us, it's not even close yet.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's maddening to watch but there are always high percentage throws just 8-12 yards off the line of scrimmage. If you're going to drop your safeties deep you have to set your coverages up to to limit or take away the stuff in the middle. Force offenses to throw to the sidelines where the routes take longer to develop and your safeties might be able to help out.

Regarding whether or not the defense lost the last two games, look we've pumped how many first and second rounders into this defense over the years? At this point in time it should be a defense that can win games for us, it's not even close yet.

Many here including myself were concerned about the pass rush heading into the season. They signed Ahmad Brooks and he needs to get healthy and we need Biegel to emerge as a pass rusher. That's the hard reality of the situation right now.

As I posted in another thread I think having Jones and Burnett on field at same time more will help too. All hope is not lost yet but I can completely relate to the frustration.

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many here including myself were concerned about the pass rush heading into the season. They signed Ahmad Brooks and he needs to get healthy and we need Biegel to emerge as a pass rusher. That's the hard reality of the situation right now.

As I posted in another thread I think having Jones and Burnett on field at same time more will help too. All hope is not lost yet but I can completely relate to the frustration.

I know getting King was a good pick and all, and I like him, but TJ Watt would have been real nice with the departure of Peppers.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The concern was that neither Perry or Clay could stay healthy, well they've stayed healthyish knock on wood. To me with the numbers of hits and hurries that Matthews is producing compared to actual sacks I'd say the the number suggest that our secondary is letting QBs get rid of it too fast

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I know getting King was a good pick and all, and I like him, but TJ Watt would have been real nice with the departure of Peppers.

I wanted Charles Harris but he was gone. Carl Lawson was available when Biegel was picked.

However some scouts had Biegel as the better prospect then Watt and he had some 2nd round grades but fell due to his foot concerns. We've rode that out and maybe we landed a diamond. Let's see what he can do. If we were able to Clay Matthews type rookie production out of Beigel then TT will have hit a grand slam.

As you can tell I feel pretty optimistic about Biegel. :) Think there is something special about this kid.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to start at the basement and work up. I'd like Biegel to outplay Fackrell.

So, that basically means that there is no where to go but up for him.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The concern was that neither Perry or Clay could stay healthy, well they've stayed healthyish knock on wood. To me with the numbers of hits and hurries that Matthews is producing compared to actual sacks I'd say the the number suggest that our secondary is letting QBs get rid of it too fast

And how much due to the fact that Clay has lost a step?

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I'd like to start at the basement and work up. I'd like Biegel to outplay Fackrell.

So, that basically means that there is no where to go but up for him.

Biegel was an impact player at Wisconsin(Big 10) who is actually a very good athlete.

Frackrell was an average player at Utah State who is an athlete that Thompson reached on.

I don't see any comparison between these two prospects.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yea I was a capers supporter for a long time, but watching how Aaron has carried MM and capers career I think its time for both of them to go. This defense been bad for too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts