Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Matthews is used up as a pass rusher. He rarely gets home anymore and when he does he usually runs right past the play. He can still be outstanding as an inside linebacker but he doesn't have it as a pure pass rusher anymore. Really he hasn't for about 3 years. I think some of his best play has been at ILB.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Zero punts by Detroit.....zero. How can anyone in the Packers organization take an honest look at the sh*t show that Capers has out there and retain the guy any longer?

Tired of hearing the excuse of injuries and players not doing their jobs. Zero punts!

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero punts by Detroit.....zero. How can anyone in the Packers organization take an honest look at the sh*t show that Capers has out there and retain the guy any longer?

Tired of hearing the excuse of injuries and players not doing their jobs. Zero punts!
In all fairness you certainly have to factor in we were facing an offensive juggernaut.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Detroit is ranked 23rd in the nfl in passing offense and 32nd in rushing offense so that’s nothing to sneeze at, hard to believe so many expected dom to shut that powerhouse down.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We may have a mild case of rose colored glasses, but I truly believe there is sufficient talent on this defense.... and yet... the defense sucks consistently. That tells me we need a new defensive scheme and new coaches to go along with it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We may have a mild case of rose colored glasses, but I truly believe there is sufficient talent on this defense.... and yet... the defense sucks consistently. That tells me we need a new defensive scheme and new coaches to go along with it.

Agreed. I have been on the fence about Capers for too many years. His old tired scheme and inability to coach up young guys is proving to be ineffective game after game. Bring in a young guy, with enthusiasm and fresh ideas. A guy who actually coaches from the sidelines.

Sorry Capers....I am officially and unequivocable "dom" with with!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Detroit is ranked 23rd in the nfl in passing offense and 32nd in rushing offense so that’s nothing to sneeze at, hard to believe so many expected dom to shut that powerhouse down.

Not after tonight! The Packers defense made sure that the Detroit's offense will wake tomorrow being viewed as a powerhouse!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I have been on the fence about Capers for too many years. His old tired scheme and coaching up young guys is proving not to be effective. Bring in a young guy, with enthusiasm and fresh ideas. A guy who actually coaches from the sidelines.

Sorry Capers....I am officially and unequivocable "dom" with with!

Sean McVay is Exhibit A for anyone who ever goes with the argument of "Well, DOM isn't the one missing tackles and getting beat on routes!"

Yes, good coaching and scheme matters.

Look at what the Rams are doing with an innovative young mind that actually understands the modern game.

On that note, it blows my mind that there is an NFL head coach that was born in 1986.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe Capers wont have to be fired...Maybe he quits at end of season

No one's quitting a job when they know NOBODY else is going to hire them.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
It's not just Capers. It starts with TT. We're sitting at almost 14 million in cap space trying to compete with other teams that are going all in. I liked TT's 2017 draft overall but it's just too little to late.

I warned everyone of this scenario that is now being played out 10 months ago and I was basically being told I was overreacting. Now it's here on the door step and the season is all but over. Didn't need to be this way.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not just Capers. It starts with TT. We're sitting at almost 14 million in cap space trying to compete with other teams that are going all in. I liked TT's 2017 draft overall but it's just too little to late.

I warned everyone of this scenario that is now being played out 10 months ago and I was basically being told I was overreacting. Now it's here on the door step and the season is all but over. Didn't need to be this way.

They are actually sitting at just over $11M which is less than the league average of just over $13M. The teams with the least space are the Giants and Dolphins and they're both a mess.

The problems with this team are deeper than another $11M in free agent spending would have solved.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
They are actually sitting at just over $11M which is less than the league average of just over $13M. The teams with the least space are the Giants and Dolphins and they're both a mess.

The problems with this team are deeper than another $11M in free agent spending would have solved.

There is blame to go all around. We're paying the wrong people way too much money along with not using max resources. The pats get rid of people that are cap eyesore's before you can blink an eye. So do the Seahawks. We just keep on paying them. It goes way deeper then spending more cap space dollars. This is all on TT.

Don't get me wrong I am tired of Dom Capers defense as much as anyone but without top tier pass rushers his defense will never have a chance. There is no way with our current personnel it will ever work consistently. We don't even have a good enough ILB to pull it off. The whole thing is a joke. It's like tying to put together a Mercedes with Chevy parts.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No one's quitting a job when they know NOBODY else is going to hire them.

We're probably talking about 'quitting' more along the lines of,

'Hi, Dom. Here's a gold Rolex and a typed up resignation letter. You can either take the Rolex and sign the letter and we'll hold a press conference and tell everyone with a microphone that you've decided to move on.

Or, we can just hold a press conference and tell everyone with a microphone that WE'VE decided to move on.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is blame to go all around. We're paying the wrong people way too much money along with not using max resources. The pats get rid of people that are cap eyesore's before you can blink an eye. So do the Seahawks. We just keep on paying them. It goes way deeper then spending more cap space dollars. This is all on TT.

Don't get me wrong I am tired of Dom Capers defense as much as anyone but without top tier pass rushers his defense will never have a chance. There is no way with our current personnel it will ever work consistently. We don't even have a good enough ILB to pull it off. The whole thing is a joke. It's like tying to put together a Mercedes with Chevy parts.

Blake Martinez has been one of the better ILBs in the game.

Perry is coming off an 11 sack season, Daniels has been widely known as one of the most disruptive 3-4 ends in the league.

Everyone and their mother wanted to get Matthews back at OLB this year where he can just focus on rushing the passer.

Then they went out and spent another 5M on Ahmad Brooks who is also known for his pass rushing ability when healthy.

What more do you want? They are not going to have a Pro Bowl player at every position, it's just not realistic. What exactly does Dom need to be effective? Justin Houston on one side, Chandler Jones on the other and Joey Bosa on the line?

Could the talent be better, sure. But it's not like we're asking the guy to try to mold a bunch of UDFAs into pass rushers here.

Capers also had 3 consecutive seasons to utilize one of the best pass rushers in the history of the NFL, Julius Peppers, who has now returned to Carolina and even in his late 30s still remains one of the most productive pass rushers in football this year. He had him for 3 years to pair with Matthews and Perry, and Daniels on the line, and still could not field a successful defense.

I ask again, is Dom Capers completely incapable of assembling an adequate defense with anything less than every single member of the NFC Pro Bowl team?

Last edited:

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Blake Martinez has been one of the better ILBs in the game.

Perry is coming off an 11 sack season, Daniels has been widely known as one of the most disruptive 3-4 ends in the league.

Everyone and their mother wanted to get Matthews back at OLB this year where he can just focus on rushing the passer.

Then they went out and spent another 5M on Ahmad Brooks who is also known for his pass rushing ability when healthy.

What more do you want? They are not going to have a Pro Bowl player at every position, it's just not realistic. What exactly does Dom need to be effective? Justin Houston on one side, Chandler Jones on the other and Joey Bosa on the line?

Could the talent be better, sure. But it's not like we're asking the guy to try to mold a bunch of UDFAs into pass rushers here.

I didn't want them to bring Matthews back. Go back and read my old posts. Based on what you have seen this year could you think of a better way to spend 15 mill? I understand there was a little dead money to let him go but geesh. He might be the most overpaid player in the game. I like Ahmad Brooks but how much has he played?

That's another thing. We can't find players that can even last 3 straight games. Seems to be a trend of the type of players TT is bringing in. "Soft" Looks like Burnett is already hurt again btw. He made it a whole half this time.

Blake Martinez is okay. We need a Zach Brown type to make this work.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another ringing endorsement from a Packer defensive player of his coaching staff:

The amount of man coverage they played blew up in their face as Jones and Tate broke off crossing routes that left defenders in the dust. When the Packers played zone, the two found holes and Stafford put the ball exactly where it needed to go.

Asked about the man coverage, House considered answering, but then thought the better of it.

“It would be smart if I don’t answer that question,” he said. “I wish I could give you (something), but that’s probably a better question for the coaches.”

I'm not even so much criticizing our scheme here as I'm just pointing out that between this week and what Daniels said last week that Dom has pretty clearly lost his entire defense who have absolutely no faith in anything they're being asked to do.

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you read the MJS, Packers' writer Tom Silverstein has basically done a 180 on Capers. After laughing at his critics most of the year, you should have read his game blog tonight. He was repeatedly incredulous that the Lions seemed to know exactly what to expect and numerous times pointed to scheme as the reason for defensive failures. He went as far as to point out that a mid season firing of Capers may be in order.

Status
Not open for further replies.