Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
A

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That awkward moment when everyone can see how terrible Capers is. Except the people in the organization.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I found an old article online the other day which made me chuckle, it said, "With Peppers in the Fold, No More Excuses for Capers."

Here we are almost 4 years later and they're still making excuses for him.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I notice Micah Hyde is leading the NFL in picks already this year with 5. After Casey Hayward's breakout Pro Bowl and 2nd team All Pro year last year when he led the league in INTs.

So yeah, both the theory of Joe Whitt's genius and the theory that poor Dommy C gets no talent to work with are starting to get many holes poked in them.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where is this perception coming from that Hyde wasn't good while in Green Bay?
Hyde never played more than 80% of the defensive snaps in a season in GB. As soon as he goes to another team, he leads the league in INTs and is the #5 safety in the league per PFF and has played all but a few snaps. There's clearly a big difference. Capers has no idea what to do with the players he's given..

H

HardRightEdge

Where is this perception coming from that Hyde wasn't good while in Green Bay?
I didn't think he was all that good in Green Bay playing slot corner. He just wasn't quick twitch enough to limit separation against quick slot receivers.

He's not playing slot corner in Buffalo. He's playing safety.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked him here, Felt he was a good player, but limited physically.

Carl 2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think he was all that good in Green Bay playing slot corner. He just wasn't quick twitch enough to limit separation against quick slot receivers.

He's not playing slot corner in Buffalo. He's playing safety.

Hyde never played more than 80% of the defensive snaps in a season in GB. As soon as he goes to another team, he leads the league in INTs and is the #5 safety in the league per PFF and has played all but a few snaps. There's clearly a big difference. Capers has no idea what to do with the players he's given..

Okay. Got it. I thought it was being implied that he wasn't very good while in GB.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay. Got it. I thought it was being implied that he wasn't very good while in GB.

Not at all. But he was nowhere near what Buffalo has transformed him into in half a season, just like Hayward was nowhere near what the Chargers transformed him into after he left Green Bay.

Tramon Williams didn't do much after leaving Green Bay, but much of that was simply age decline.

Speaking of age decline or lack thereof, Julius Peppers is having a fantastic season in Carolina.

Reaction score
I still go back to a long standing frustration I have with our “scheme”

Time and time again when we send an extra pass rusher or even an all out blitz package our CBs are consistently playing between 5 and 10 yards off the WR. I’d say on average 7 yards I’m no genius here, but it stands to reason that an opposing QB has less time to throw on average when we are sending extra pass rush personnel.
The league allows additional contact for a CB vs a Receiver within 5 yards but we repeatedly fail to use this benefit. We allow the WR or TE to run unabated down the field untouched or unchallenged.
I can’t count on all my families hands and toes how many times our pass rusher was within 0.5 seconds of closing the deal when the QB releases the ball.
This to me shows 3 things in the DCs assessment
1.A lack of faith at the Safety position to cover the deep threat.
2.A lack of using the rule book to benefit a given scenario
3. A lack of confidence in your pass rush ability.
4. All the above

You don’t win these plays by playing it safe, you win by attacking the Offense at the LOS and either forcing the pass to he thrown early in the route which creates a timing issue or forcing the QB to go that 1 extra read.
I’m fine with playing zone but smart DCs understand the concept of hybrid roles and hybrid schemes.
We obviously do not cater to the latter and it has cost us dearly and will continue to so.
I watch other teams with good Defenses employ this and Dom continues to make the same mistakes and get the same results.
It actually pains me to say this but..

This team has very little chance to go deep in the playoffs against “real” contenders regardless of the QB (no disrespect to Hundley or AR) until we look take a hard look in the mirror and fix things on the Defensive side.

Last edited:

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I notice Micah Hyde is leading the NFL in picks already this year with 5. After Casey Hayward's breakout Pro Bowl and 2nd team All Pro year last year when he led the league in INTs.

So yeah, both the theory of Joe Whitt's genius and the theory that poor Dommy C gets no talent to work with are starting to get many holes poked in them.
Julius Pepers is also currently 7th in the nfl in sacks, closest Packer is currently nick perry in 42nd, why isn’t dom able to get production out his defense? Just too many guys putting up big numbers as soon as they leave.

Reaction score
Julius Pepers is also currently 7th in the nfl in sacks, closest Packer is currently nick perry in 42nd, why isn’t dom able to get production out his defense?.
Simple. He turns them into Elephants and you know what they say...
You can’t change a Zebras stripes ;)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde is also playing a different position in Buffalo than he was here.

Still wish we would've kept him.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thought the same thing. O well. Maybe it's because I didn't complain about something.

Since he disagreed with this, too, rather than answer the original query, it's pretty obvious that it's just an attention-getter. MODS - does Ignore extend to ratings, too? :)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Since he disagreed with this, too, rather than answer the original query, it's pretty obvious that it's just an attention-getter. MODS - does Ignore extend to ratings, too? :)
Not that I am aware of. Being a pain in the :poop: hole via ratings is a ban able offense though.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simple. He turns them into Elephants and you know what they say...
You can’t change a Zebras stripes ;)

At this point I picture Dom in his living room with some big contraption he bought at the store and the instructions sprawled out on the floor in front of him, staring at them and scratching his head with no idea of what to do.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this should be changed to "Fire Capers and McCarthy"...he's responsible for keeping Capers around plain and simple. At least a change at HC would pretty much guarantee Capers would be gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.