Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
along with the Packers beating New England earlier that year without Sam Shields and AJ Hawk on D tells me they would have been the favourite.

I don't know--NE that year scared me. And we lost our trump card from the first meeting. The didn't go after Rodgers. BB was incredibly respectful of his ability to break contain and pickup yards on the ground, so they just kept him in the pocket, doubled Nelson, and forced rookie Adams to beat them (thankfully, he did.)

Playoffs Rodgers could not move like that. BB's plan likely changes for the Super Bowl, especially after he would have seen how badly Rodgers was limping around in the Seattle game.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'll give you 2/3. Pretty sure the whole point of being in the booth is for a better view.

Coaching boxes definitely give the coaches a better birds eye view of the entire field which is very helpful. What it doesn't give them is face to face communication and interaction with players. I assume the view is more important to Capers then interaction with his players.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coaching boxes definitely give the coaches a better birds eye view of the entire field which is very helpful. What it doesn't give them is face to face communication and interaction with players. I assume the view is more important to Capers then interaction with his players.
Capers is too mellow, he would be a downer to players on the sidelines. For his coaching style the booth is good. Let his assistants/position coaches get in players faces.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Capers is too mellow, he would be a downer to players on the sidelines. For his coaching style the booth is good. Let his assistants/position coaches get in players faces.
Much like TT, Capers doesn't seem to be a "rah rah in your face" kind of guy, although that really isn't a requirement of TT. I have never been to a Packer practice, would be interesting to see Capers demeanor on the field. Is he just a thinker and not very social or does he light some fires under some players during practice? Personally, I like seeing coaches down on the field with a hands on approach, but as long as Capers is in the box with the better views for him to scheme and he has assistants capable of being on the field, keep him in seclusion.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much like TT, Capers doesn't seem to be a "rah rah in your face" kind of guy, although that really isn't a requirement of TT. I have never been to a Packer practice, would be interesting to see Capers demeanor on the field. Is he just a thinker and not very social or does he light some fires under some players during practice? Personally, I like seeing coaches down on the field with a hands on approach, but as long as Capers is in the box with the better views for him to scheme and he has assistants capable of being on the field, keep him in seclusion.
You would hardly know that Capers is at a practice. Run by McCarthy but hands on by position coaches. I am with you. I like McCarthy and his hands on aggressive demeanor.

Reaction score
One more year of Janis on the roster, might give it some competition? And of course, there is always the TT thread.
If we could just get the guys that want to fire Capers to pull for Firing Janis... and the guys that want Janis to succeed to Root for Dom to succeed... we just might make the SB after all!
Exactly. I know every coach has a different style regarding game-time player interaction and such. Also, todays game is arguably different with the technology aspect. I'm guess I'm a little old-fashioned, but I can't help but think that being on the sidelines and interacting with players as they come on and off the field has advantages that are being lost also, especially during high profile games or playoff games. I still believe that having to face your superiors after getting burned on a play or making a big play goes a long way in sports. It's the same concept in the business world, many employers have changed their policy..whereas they make employees call the top dog (Superintendent, Plant Manager, General Manager or even Owner) when calling in sick or late. It is proven fact that this greatly reduces tardiness and increases attendance and punctuality. It holds people accountable. I often wonder how much accountability is lost by the DC being separate from his players? People are inherently lazy and they need encouragement and discipline and that's waning in todays game IMO.
My dad used to have a picture of a noose on his desk in his office, it was given to him by his boss and read something like this....
"Just a little reminder of the importance of meeting your sales objectives this month!" His boss had a sarcastic way of staying in his face but it created results..I always thought that was a was a funny picture.. but it holds some truth too. Pardon me.. back to work!!!:eek:

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

I'm guess I'm a little old-fashioned, but I can't help but think that being on the sidelines and interacting with players as they come on and off the field has advantages that are being lost also, especially during high profile games or playoff games.
Oh, you mean like the premature celebrations that preceded the unprecedented collapse against Seattle? Capers has been running a sterile, cultureless operation where the whole does not exceed the sum of the parts.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we could just get the guys that want to fire Capers to pull for Firing Janis... and the guys that want Janis to succeed to Root for Dom to succeed... we just might make the SB after all!
I just want the defense to succeed, I don't care who is running it. If Dom can do it great, if that means getting rid of him great, if that means getting rid of Ted great, if that means Ted changes his approach by keeping more experienced players on defense great. But something has to change, because for the last six years it hasn't been working. I see no reason why this team shouldn't be good on both sides of the ball.

For that matter, why not root for Janis to succeed as well?

D

Deleted member 6794

But seriously, does anyone expect a whole lot out of the current group that TT has assembled on defense?

Unfortunately I don´t believe it´s reasonable to assume the Packers defense will be much improved over last season.

I'll give you 2/3. Pretty sure the whole point of being in the booth is for a better view.

I agree with a lot of other posters that I would prefer the defensive coordinator to be on the sidelines though. It would be possible for Capers to receive the same information by using tablets but according to multiple reports he´s not into using technology a lot.

H

HardRightEdge

What are your thoughts on Dom's nitro package?
I'm good with it. S is a talented position group. Having 3 talented players on the field never hurts. The nice thing is all these guys can tackle.

When you get down to it, though, it's just a 3 safety dime in lieu of standard nickel personnel with one S playing in the box in place of an ILB. Call that guy a box safety, call him an ILB, it doesn't matter. The job is the same. What we're looking for is performance. What you do get regardless is better speed, which I assume is where the "nitro" name came from, as in nitro fueled. 4.65 - 4.70 speed ILBs have trouble keeping up in coverage these days.

It could be Jones, or it could be Burnett with Brice or Evans on the backside with Dix. I think they'd like it to be Jones. I don't know if it will be. But if it is, whether he stays there depends on performance in the money games.

By the way, I don't expect the Packers to abandon standard nickel which would be 80% of snaps if recent years are an indication. It's more a variation on a theme. Maybe more in some games given the match-ups, perhaps sparingly in others, perhaps focused on certain down and distance situations.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don´t believe it´s reasonable to assume the Packers defense will be much improved over last season.
We've bolstered our depth a bit since you've posted this, I was curious if you still felt this way? I was in complete agreement going into the offseason, I figured it would take two years of draft and develop at least to fix the defense. But Ted has been more active in free agency this year, we've got more veterans on the squad, and I have to admit the roster looks better than I expected it to. Maybe I'm drinking the kool-aid, and there are still some questions, but I'm thinking we may actually have a decent defense this year. Of course, you know what they say, fool me once...

If the defense does stink again this year though, does that shift the blame more back to Capers than Ted? Since it appears Ted has at least tried to put some adequate talent on the defensive squad?

D

Deleted member 6794

We've bolstered our depth a bit since you've posted this, I was curious if you still felt this way? I was in complete agreement going into the offseason, I figured it would take two years of draft and develop at least to fix the defense. But Ted has been more active in free agency this year, we've got more veterans on the squad, and I have to admit the roster looks better than I expected it to. Maybe I'm drinking the kool-aid, and there are still some questions, but I'm thinking we may actually have a decent defense this year. Of course, you know what they say, fool me once...

If the defense does stink again this year though, does that shift the blame more back to Capers than Ted? Since it appears Ted has at least tried to put some adequate talent on the defensive squad?

I'm definitely more optimistic about the defense entering this season right now. The unit most likely still lacks a #1 cornerback but might be able to finish just outside the top 10 in points allowed this season. That could be good enough for the team to secure the #1 seed in the NFC and make it to Minneapolis for the Super Bowl.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm definitely more optimistic about the defense entering this season right now. The unit most likely still lacks a #1 cornerback but might be able to finish just outside the top 10 in points allowed this season. That could be good enough for the team to secure the #1 seed in the NFC and make it to Minneapolis for the Super Bowl.
I expect the defense to be improved. It better be.

Here's a plus: New England's defense last night was one of the worst I've ever seen. KC's offense, and Smith in particular, was especially sharp for week #1 and Hunt just went off (NFL record yards from scrimmage in a first game), but NE wasn't even close to damping them down. If KC had avoided shooting themselves in the foot with the first play fumble and 15 penalties it could have been 60 points. Yes, it was really that bad.

Now, you'll hear repeated references to 2014 when NE got off to a rocky start then won the SB. And "little possums walk early, big possums walk late" always applies, especially with Belichick/Brady. But that NE defense was in a whole other league.

By the way, it does appear that John Dorsey left Reid with a roster he could work with. I did not notice the absence of Macklin or Charles having an impact. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.