Fire Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I expect the defense to be improved. It better be.

Here's a plus: New England's defense last night was one of the worst I've ever seen. KC's offense, and Smith in particular, was especially sharp for week #1 and Hunt just went off (NFL record yards from scrimmage in a first game), but NE wasn't even close to damping them down. If KC had avoided shooting themselves in the foot with the first play fumble and 15 penalties it could have been 60 points. Yes, it was really that bad.

Now, you'll hear repeated references to 2014 when NE got off to a rocky start then won the SB. And "little possums walk early, big possums walk late" always applies, especially with Belichick/Brady. But that NE defense was in a whole other league.

By the way, it does appear that John Dorsey left Reid with a roster he could work with. I did not notice the absence of Macklin or Charles having an impact. ;)
Not to mention, Brady is 40. I don't care how good he's looked in the past couple years, the man is 40 and it is/was bound to catch up with him. I wouldn't be surprised if the next game he throws for 400 and 5 TD's, and I also wouldn't be surprised if he lays another egg.

But one thing that hasn't been mentioned much in regards to Brady and his health/level of play: He missed the first 4 games of the season in 2016. He played 15 games enroute to the SB victory over Atlanta and looked awful for 3 quarters. Starting his season in week 5 was huge, plus he got two bye weeks in the middle of those 15 games.

Many have been trying to predict the end for a while, but if last night is any sort of indication, it's close.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Curiosity...how many pre-season snaps did Brady get this year?

KC was hot last night. The entire Patriots defense looked like it was the first training camp practice. Belichik will light them up in the film room.

H

HardRightEdge

Not to mention, Brady is 40. I don't care how good he's looked in the past couple years, the man is 40 and it is/was bound to catch up with him. I wouldn't be surprised if the next game he throws for 400 and 5 TD's, and I also wouldn't be surprised if he lays another egg.

But one thing that hasn't been mentioned much in regards to Brady and his health/level of play: He missed the first 4 games of the season in 2016. He played 15 games enroute to the SB victory over Atlanta and looked awful for 3 quarters. Starting his season in week 5 was huge, plus he got two bye weeks in the middle of those 15 games.

Many have been trying to predict the end for a while, but if last night is any sort of indication, it's close.
Well, Brady looked rusty, his accuracy off, especially notable in the first half when he had good protection. But Brady is still Brady, with a knack for adapting to a rotating cast of supporting characters. Still losing Edelmann and then Amendola with a "head injury" left him thin. Gronk looks like he's lost a step too. So, his adaptability will be challenged.

But this defense. Man, that was uniquely ugly. Still, with the Bills and Jets tanking, err, I mean "rebuilding", and Miami always muddling, they could still win that division with a lousy defense. But without a remarkable defensive turn around, they won't be going very far.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Patriots will be just fine......once they get Marty B back..........oh wait a minute! :whistling:

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, Brady looked rusty, his accuracy off, especially notable in the first half when he had good protection. But Brady is still Brady, with a knack for adapting to a rotating cast of supporting characters. Still losing Edelmann and then Amendola with a "head injury" left him thin. Gronk looks like he's lost a step too. So, his adaptability will be challenged.

But this defense. Man, that was uniquely ugly. Still, with the Bills and Jets tanking, err, I mean "rebuilding", and Miami always muddling, they could still win that division with a lousy defense. But without a remarkable defensive turn around, they won't be going very far.

There's no doubt the Patriots defense looked terrible yesterday but I don't expect the best scoring unit from last season to struggle all season. It seems that the Reid and the Chiefs somehow have New England's numbers in the regular season as they were the team to humiliate in 2014 (41-14 in week 4) as well before Belichick led them to another Super Bowl.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
INow, you'll hear repeated references to 2014 when NE got off to a rocky start then won the SB
A lot of similarities there. The Chiefs beat them convincingly early in the year in 2014 then too. People started to say it was the end of the NE dynasty, that Brady was starting to show his age, typical Monday morning overreactions. But they not only won the Super Bowl that year, they've also won another since then. I wouldn't bet against Belichick getting this stuff cleaned up by season's end.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm well aware of 2014..."Brady's lost it, he's done"; "Belichick has lost it". However, that defense last night was uniquely awful.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously the Patriots have concerns. D was bad. Brady is 40 etc. That said, gun to your head, more likely to make SB: Packers or Patriots? I know who I'm picking.

H

HardRightEdge

Obviously the Patriots have concerns. D was bad. Brady is 40 etc. That said, gun to your head, more likely to make SB: Packers or Patriots? I know who I'm picking.
That NE defense was so utterly bad I'd have to say the Packers.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm well aware of 2014..."Brady's lost it, he's done"; "Belichick has lost it". However, that defense last night was uniquely awful.

Once again, the Patriots defense looked terrible in a loss vs. the Chiefs in 2014 as well yet the team went on to win the Super Bowl that season. It's way too early to write them off as a legitimate contender.

H

HardRightEdge

Once again, the Patriots defense looked terrible in a loss vs. the Chiefs in 2014 as well yet the team went on to win the Super Bowl that season. It's way too early to write them off as a legitimate contender.
Like I said, they can win their division with a bad defense. That makes them a contender. Just not a strong one.

D

Deleted member 6794

Like I said, they can win their division with a bad defense. That makes them a contender. Just not a strong one.

I believe the Patriots defense will significantly improve over the course of the season though.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Patriots gave up over 40 points against Kansas City in 2014 also. I wouldn't bet against Belichick.

realist4pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like after all the free agent signings I may have been wrong about TT. Not overly impressed with King yet as CB. Would have rather had TJ Watt.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not overly impressed with King yet as CB. Would have rather had TJ Watt.

I will give it enough time to play out, but TJ started right out of the gates with 2 sacks and an interception.....my disappointment that TT didn't draft him continues to grow, but am hopeful King keeps getting better.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will give it enough time to play out, but TJ started right out of the gates with 2 sacks and an interception.....my disappointment that TT didn't draft him continues to grow, but am hopeful King keeps getting better.

I figured this was going to get discussed and rightly so. Watt and King will be linked. Was it Biegel we also got with the extra pick?

Watt wouldn't be starting for gb so he wouldn't put up those numbers and the pass rush was great week 1 so I am not losing sleep yet. But watt could have made clay easier to move on from. I still am high on king. Love his size and speed.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like after all the free agent signings I may have been wrong about TT. Not overly impressed with King yet as CB. Would have rather had TJ Watt.

It's been a week, and CB is higher on the importance scale. I would suggest giving the 6'3 CB with speed and cover skills just a little time to put it together.

To quote a certain Packer, R-E-L-A-X.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I figured this was going to get discussed and rightly so. Watt and King will be linked. Was it Biegel we also got with the extra pick?

Watt wouldn't be starting for gb so he wouldn't put up those numbers and the pass rush was great week 1 so I am not losing sleep yet. But watt could have made clay easier to move on from. I still am high on king. Love his size and speed.

Yes, the Packers used the other pick from Cleveland to draft Biegel.

Like I said, I'm not ready to pass judgement on the move until a few years roll by and we see where all the players end up. You are correct, I doubt TJ passes Clay or Perry this year on the depth chart, but he would be seeing a lot of playing time and most likely, making a bigger impact than either King or Biegel have to this point. My statement was more of a reflection of what Watt is showing so far....he may turn out to be a steal for the Steelers. Now let's hope King and Biegel turn out to be the same for the Packers.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, the Packers used the other pick from Cleveland to draft Biegel.

Like I said, I'm not ready to pass judgement on the move until a few years roll by and we see where all the players end up. You are correct, I doubt TJ passes Clay or Perry this year on the depth chart, but he would be seeing a lot of playing time and most likely, making a bigger impact than either King or Biegel have to this point. My statement was more of a reflection of what Watt is showing so far....he may turn out to be a steal for the Steelers. Now let's hope King and Biegel turn out to be the same for the Packers.

Agreed on all counts. Watt would see playing time for sure. Just not enough to put up the stats he did today. I love watt and if cb wasn't such a train wreck he would have been my first choice. As it was he was my 2nd behind king

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like King, thought it was a solid pick and I am not expecting too much out of him in year #1. CB is a tougher position to learn than OLB, especially in Capers defense. I will always wonder if TJ had still been there when the Packers picked to start day 2, would TT have chosen him? I was a huge Watt fan and am just happy to see him starting and playing so well....especially in the AFC and not with an NFC North rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts