Family night

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reporter Tom Silverstein posted this about tonights family night

Here are three things I took away from the #Packers intrasquad scrimmage at Lambeau Field Friday night: 1. DT Jerel Worthy can be a beast if he stays focused and controls his emotions. He showed up with a few big-time rushes. 2. OLB Nick Perry has not showed up, at least where pass rushing is concerned. He's still grinding through the transition from DE to OLB. 3. LT could be a troublesome spot. Marshall Newhouse went down and Derek Sherrod (leg) is still out. Chad Clifton where are you?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marshall Newhouse went down and Derek Sherrod (leg) is still out. Chad Clifton where are you?
Very ironic since it was Newhouse who kept letting Tamba Hali right around him all day long in Kansas City last December, including once where he smashed into Sherrod's leg, breaking it in 2 places in one of those horrific plays that I cannot stomach to see.

What did Newhouse do tonight? What is his injury, how did it happen?

EDIT. Here:
Injury report: LT Marshall Newhouse (undisclosed) left the scrimmage with team physician Dr. John Gray and did not return after heading to the locker room. Of the five players who left Thursday night’s practice with injuries – G Ray Dominguez (ankle), S Sean Richardson (thumb), TE D.J. Williams (back), OLB Brad Jones (knee) and FB Jon Hoese (hamstring) – only Richardson took part on Friday night. ILB Desmond Bishop (calf) and FB John Kuhn (knee) donned pads for pre-scrimmage warmups but did not take part in anything else, as did RB Marc Tyler (shoulder). WR Tori Gurley (groin), DE Mike Daniels (knee/groin), TE Eric Lair (knee) and OT Mike McCabe (hip) did not participate. The five players who still haven’t passed their physicals remained sidelined: G Jaymes Brooks (hamstring), DE Johnny Jones (knee), TE Andrew Quarless (knee), OT Derek Sherrod (leg) and OLB Frank Zombo (hamstring).

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Also noted that there can not be a team Lambeau Leap, that is an unsportsmanlike penalty, but the refs finally realized that Family Night is unequal to a real game after the first call. :p

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What did Newhouse do tonight? What is his injury, how did it happen?

EDIT. Here:

Newhouse walked off the field and into the tunnel area under his own power. He didn't appear to be
limited or hurt but he left prior to the scrimmage being completed. MM said he didn't have any
injury news to report after the game and the team next meets on Sunday.

It didn't appear to be serious and hopefully it is just cramps. Anyone know when Derek Sherrod
is expected back?

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2. OLB Nick Perry has not showed up, at least where pass rushing is concerned. He's still grinding through the transition from DE to OLB.

I couldn't disagree more, He didnt really get to do a lot of work against Bulaga last night, but he made Datko look like a fool more times than one, and if there would have been a real chance to sack someone he would have had a half dozen on that guy. He had a quick first step and if it were not for having to slow up when getting close to the red shirt he would have been the stand out of the night.

More on the Datko topic. I am convinced he is not an NFL caliber lineman, he is slow out of his stance, got his feet tangled a few times, and got walked back into the QB by a couple different D players.

I saw a lot of good pressure coming from young guys on blitz packages last night. Some good up the middle blitzing breaking up the pocket and really making Graham Harrel get rid of the ball before he is ready. I like that.

The running game did not dominate the night by any stretch of the imagination but I did see a couple of things I was glad to see. First, Starks taking the draw play inside making one decisive cut into space and scoring in the redzone. IMO that is the most important part of the field for the packers to be able to run the ball. Line up 3 WR 1 TE and Starks in the back field out of shotgun. Good luck covering that if there is a real threat to score out of the back field. Second, Saine showed that he is dangerous in space. He didnt get a lot of chances to run the ball but when he got the ball in his hands on the screen he turned it into a decent gain and if he can keep that up he will live up to my expectations for him this year. Alex Green was a disappointment in his limited action. Got strung out to the sidelines on a few outside rushing attempts could be just as much the defense being where they need to be but I would like to see more of him.

On to the obvious. Rodgers is a surgeon, plain and simple. He looked like it was week 8 not family night out there. That lob in to Driver could not have possibly been thrown to a better spot and the TD to Jennings was a laser beam into very tight coverage into a place that only Jennings could turn it into a score.

Oh and how could I forget, Tramon Williams made the head shaker play of the night, I realize its a scrimmage and these guys aren't going balls to the walls but Jordy nelson made him look like a rookie with his "attempt" at tackling early in the scrimmage. I know that physicality and tackling are a big emphasis this off season and I really hope that when the regular season comes around we get to see that emphasis come to life on the field.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More on the Datko topic. I am convinced he is not an NFL caliber lineman, he is slow out of his stance, got his feet tangled a few times, and got walked back into the QB by a couple different D players.

Second, Saine showed that he is dangerous in space. He didnt get a lot of chances to run the ball but when he got the ball in his hands on the screen he turned it into a decent gain and if he can keep that up he will live up to my expectations for him this year.
I really wonder how Clifton is doing..... has he resorted to eating donuts and pizza, or has he kept in shape?
I don't think Sherrod can be counted on at all this season to A) recover from thad bad double break in December, and B) be sharp, strong, and good enough to protect Rodgers if I am wrong about A).
That's the quickest way to derail a great offense is to have leaks on the OT edges. Bulaga could go down too, then what?

I love Saine. I think he has the Jamal Lewis style skills to be very very good. Better than Starks because he is/runs so much lower, strong like Bull.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If Sherrod can contribute this year IMO its unlikely it’ll be before sometime in October. The good news is reports say he’s not limping anymore but he’s got to get back to football strength and then he has technique work to do. It’s not as if we saw him doing well at OT last season before he got hurt.

Newhouse was reportedly doing better this year but he got embarrassed by Matthews at Wednesday practice and of course Clay is an all-pro but the Packers’ LT will face very good pass rushers this season and Newhouse got embarrassed by a few last season.

The Packers have 7 OT listed on their roster but after the first three probably stands Herb Taylor which tells you they don’t have depth at OT in spite of Thompson using 2 of his last 3 first rounders on the position. They really, really don’t want to switch Bulaga to LT and I certainly understand that but I don’t see any other viable options if Newhouse goes down and Sherrod isn’t ready. (Andrew Datko, Mike McCabe and Shea Allard are the other OTs on the roster). Forget about Clifton. His last hurrah was his fantastic resurgence during the end of the 2010 season and into the playoffs. But time and the accumulation of all his injuries caught up to him – even when he was “healthy” last season he wasn’t close to his ’10 playoff form IMO. If one of the OTs not named Bulaga, Newhouse, or Sherrod don’t step up in a big way before the season opens, I really hope Thompson is looking at a vet to bring in. Even one near the end of his career the Packers can “rent” for this season. They have a couple of options inside beyond EDS, but OT looks thin, thin, thin.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Newhouse was reportedly doing better this year but he got embarrassed by Matthews at Wednesday practice and of course Clay is an all-pro but the Packers’ LT will face very good pass rushers this season and Newhouse got embarrassed by a few last season.
Right, here's the first pass rushers the LT will face:

Alden Smith
Julius Peppers
Bruce Irvin
Saints
Dwight Freeney
JJ Watt/Brooks Reed/Whitney Mercilus

Then later on he faces Jason Pierre-Paul, the Lions, Peppers again, and Jared Allen TWO times.

That LT position is totally critical.

H

HardRightEdge

I really wonder how Clifton is doing..... has he resorted to eating donuts and pizza, or has he kept in shape?
I don't think Sherrod can be counted on at all this season to A) recover from thad bad double break in December, and B) be sharp, strong, and good enough to protect Rodgers if I am wrong about A).
That's the quickest way to derail a great offense is to have leaks on the OT edges. Bulaga could go down too, then what?

I love Saine. I think he has the Jamal Lewis style skills to be very very good. Better than Starks because he is/runs so much lower, strong like Bull.

So far, I've not seen Saine do anything yet to indicate he'll be more than a third down back in this system. In a zone blocking system you're looking for a one-cut-and-go guy...patience, vision, spot the hole, cut to the hole. As an example, look to the Starks' Family Night TD as slaughter25 pointed out. So far, Saine is a no-cut-and-go runner...he seems to just take the ball and hit the line, like he's guessing where the hole might develop. He might develop patience, he might not. Vision and quick feet cannot be taught.

That's not to say he won't be a valuable player. He's got good hands, runs good routes and has impressive top end speed. He might even end up being a decent short yardage back since he tends to keep forward momentum going when he hits the pile. But based on what we've seen, I don't think we can expect more than a contest with Green for 3rd. down duty and the occasional rotation series.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts