Post Reed Signing....Frees Up Some Need Restraints

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Many asked me when the Reed news fell if this changes my approach at all...and honestly the short answer is yes most certainly. The situation I had been presented often with Karlaftis or Wyatt slipping to 22 along with a WR I like makes me lean WR more than I had earlier (I can for sure pass up Karlaftis...Wyatt would most likely be way too good to do so though).

That all said here is a for the most part set still (despite I do think Gute trades something Day 1 or in the 2nd of somekind)...I do predict a late Round 3 slide up of small size merely because of the way the board fell and picks went it became necessary for the player targeted IMO.

Here we go:

Round 1 #22 - Treylon Burks WR Arkansas

Everyone knows I love Olave...in this mock he was gone and I will pick Burks all day everyday if Olave is gone. Burks frame and burst is next level. Folks merely looking at his forty time (for 225lbs a 4.55 is still solid and remember Davante ran that) are ignorant and need to watch him with pads on and just watch how special that first few step burst he has is, and then as DBs "try to tackle" him you will chuckle at times with how much power he has. He however isn't just a YAC guy, his ability to contort and shift his body in flight to high point a ball is IMPRESSIVE and he uses his body position very well which is crucial as he isn't blessed with elite vertical ability (but is not bad either). With LaFluer calling plays and Rodgers the one tossing the ball his way I see zero reason Burks out the gate couldn't be a 60-70 rec/700yd/7TD type rookie and he would pair perfectly with Lazard and a veteran out wide WR pick up (Jones or Green come to mind). GB Trends: Stays in line with normal approaches of big school, multi-year producer...leaves the trend of 8.00 RAS or higher, but Burks build and approach isn't surprising he didn't quite hit that threshold.

Round 1 #28 - Daxton Hill S/Slot Michigan

This pick kills two needs with one high level pick. Savage is deadly at times dropping down into coverage or slot for us...he is equally deadly staying high too, Daxton Hill instantly serves in whichever spot Savage isn't if on the field at the same time. His coverage skills are excellent in the slot, he diagnosis plays quickly and is of great assistance in attacking a run play instantly upon recognition. A legit 4.33 forty type guy with ELITE shuttle and cone drill - he shines in avoiding block attempts and using his skillset to get hands on the ball carriers working in space outside the tackles where some DBs struggle. He is IMO an instant starter for most teams and would be for us if Savage wasn't here...but depending what Barry decides we could see A LOT of snaps where Amos, Savage and Hill if drafted are all on the field.GB Trends: Stays in line with normal approaches of big school, multi-year producer. His measured athleticism is impressive sporting a 9.03 RAS which holds to the 8.0+ unofficial GB trend hreshold.

Round 2 #53 - John Metchie WR Alabama

We are not abandoning the normal Packers mentality of "draft and develop" with a speedy WR that is coming off of an ACL injury late in his college career in the SEC Championship game. Metchie has the skillset and abilities to play the Z or line up in the slot once he is back up and running. IF he comes back fine, he instantly is as capable of blowing the top off the backend like MVS, but has a much more expansive route tree than MVS did as a rookie. His stop and start up speeds are elite and impressive when you see it happen in games. With Burks already here, this is an insurance pick and potentially a massive swing into the future and stays very faithful with Gute and TT's approaches over the years. GB Trends: Stays in line with normal approaches of big school, multi-year producer. His measured athleticism is impressive and most assume had he been able to test would have not just eclipsed 8.00 but most likely also 9.0.

Round 2 #59 - Dylan Parham iOL Memphis

Here is a guy I've not touched on much but do love what he brings to the table. Originally a line backer and a tight end out of high school Memphis originally brought him in to play TE, however he switched over and started his first two seasons at left guard, third year at right tackle and ended his career starting right guard. Such a versatile background bids him well to serve as a potential starter at LG/RG/RT and possibly back up center. His arm length is 33.5 and his RAS being 9.01 he is vastly too appealing for Gute to leave sitting on the board and instantly pushes for a starting guard spot - strengthening our OL room worst case and quite promisingly our starting line up. Personally I would predict he beats Newman out, if not right away by the years end if Newman continues to be the average performer with promise not showing more promise each week.GB Trends: Stays in trend with being a multi-year producer and in his RAS score being 8+ at 9.01. He is from a smaller school type.

***Traded #92 (3rd) and #171 (5th) FOR #85 (3rd) and #200 (6th)
Round 3 #85 - Sam Williams EDGE Ole Miss

The high caliber edges are starting to get thin and more projects than contributors are there...Gute makes a move to get one of the last few guys I personally feel could handle a 25-40% snap count role on the right fit type team in Sam Williams. He is an athletic freak for his size and Edge/OLB position (9.97 RAS as linebacker...9.65 as DE) and folks his 10 yard split is WR level at 1.55. Three solid productive years, topping it all off in 2021 with his best to date and 12.5 sacks total! I've seen the Preston Smith comparison brought up by scouts in how well he can play the run, yet still be a menace against the QB in pass plays, and I'd agree that comp fits. If you have a Preston of the future, that would be a homerun for sure. GB Trends: Stays in trend in RAS, big school and multiple year production.

Round 4 #132 - Matt Waletzko OT North Dakota

Waletzko is kind of a project...but also not given all the tape and production he has exhibited of late at the Senior Bowl (confirming better comp isn't too much for him) and the combine. He has put together 28 careet starts, all at LT in North Dakota's heavy run schemed offense...which makes sense that we are talking about a LT with agility and movement skills rarely seen, especially for his size (6'7' 312lbs), nearly ran a 5.00 flat forty, jumped 30 inches and his broad was right around 9 and a half. Again folks that is a LT with a 6'7' (and a half) height and 312lbs doing that....not Jordan Davis impressive but still impressive. The crazy thing is for a big frame, Waletzko is cut very high and doesn't illustrate the leg weight or mid-section one would expect to see with a 300 plus pound LT. Leads me to believe we may see him through condition and his first year look to add some weight, especially since he has the agility and movements skills to give some if necessary even. While LT is his home, drafting Waletzko to me instantly gives us depth or competition at RT as well from day 1...and now allows Newman to focus on Guard even with Parham drafted - as it is clearly where the Packers felt he is best served it seems. OL room is set now 100% given how the draft fell.GB Trends: Blows the 8+ RAS trend out of the water at 9.92, comes with multiple years of experience and production...however does come from a small school which is not normal.

Round 4 #140 - Matt Henningsen iDL Wisconsin

Here is one all of Wisconsin fans will rejoice in the selection. Surprisingly a good athlete Henningsen constantly played the front for a stout Wisconsin defense and made it possible for very good LBs behind him shine for sure. He's more built like Lowry or Keke were out of college at 6'3' 295, while he won't wow you with strength on the bench his body control and technique serve him and his team very well in how he holds his gap integrity even against double teams at times...and while many felt he didn't have the burst or explosion needed to be a pressurer (never had more than 4 sacks a year in college), those that watch him always said he played to his role and often times even on passing downs he was found manipulating the pocket and QB often even if he didn't get a hand on him. Matt however put up ELITE level marks in his Vertical of 37.5 (nearly tops in position), inch shy of 10 foot broad, a 4.29 shuttle and 7.19 3cone....there are TEs that will be drafted with worse figures. With the addition of Reed, waiting to the fourth is easily a comfortable thing to do and Henningsen is an excellent compliment to the room which once was depleted is filling out nicely with both veterans and young promising potential. GB Trends: Easily clears the 8+ RAS trend out of the water at 9.3, comes with multiple years of experience and production and did so at a big time school in a big time conference.

Round 6 #200 - Jeffrey Gunter EDGE Coastal Carolina

I've discussed Gunter before enough....high high ceiling type pick and a guy that is rated as high as the fourth or as low as an UDFA. I happen to love a lot of what I see is inside Gunter and take him falling to the very top end of the 6th round on Day 3 GB Trends: 8+ RAS trend is there with a 9.73, comes with multiple years of experience and production, however a smaller school albeit an ascending program.

Round 7 #228 - MarQuan McCall NT Kentucky

This is a BIG boy and while NT use is lessoning and lessoning in today's game...there is no denying their value is still there and having a plugger with skill is worth taking a chance of hitting in the 7th. His 6'2' frame holds 342lbs on it and McCall brings with it high character and high ability to accomplish the lost art of sticking and holding a low center of scrimmage while and moving it if needed. He has the potential to be an early down and goal line beast for a team.GB Trends: He has been productive at a big school and big conference, no RAS to report though KY pro day may allow me to construct one depending what he does that day.

Round 7 #249 - D'Vonte Price RB Florida International

I've touched on him before, but I like Price late in the 7th to avoid him signing elsewhere as an UDFA...and with Hill coming off injury and Jones in his last season given contract structure putting a guy in there to be a depth and most likely PS stash type guy is worth it here. He emerged as the lead back for FI in 2020 and set records with 6.8 yards per rush and 116.2 yards per game in his run as lead. Capable receiving threat out of the backfield and experience blocker in pass sets make him a very viable future support or RB2 potentially for a team. His combine most likely put him on more radars as he did end up running an elite 4.38 forty
GB Trends: He is a highly productive guy but from a small school...but his RAS is elite at 9.71

Round 7 #258 - Baylon Spector ILB Clemson

An undersized to many ILB at 6'1' 233lbs he fits passing sub packages in today's NFL excellently and could push for some three down role in a year or two IMO. Great speed for his position at 4.6 but his ten yard split is elite 1.57 and is why he has shown capabilities to locate and cover RB out of the backfield in the flats and TEs as well. Should provide excellent ST play while he grows in the role of an NFL ILB if nothing else.GB Trends: He is a highly productive guy from a top level school and sports a 9.1 RAS

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You watch a lot more tape than I do, but coming out of this draft with out a CB to me is a mistake. Personally I do not need 2 edge guys, I kind of like Garvin. Just making conversation.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You watch a lot more tape than I do, but coming out of this draft with out a CB to me is a mistake. Personally I do not need 2 edge guys, I kind of like Garvin. Just making conversation.

Honestly Gunter was merely by far the most realistic and present in this mock for the choosing at #200 and I couldn't pass up what he might be someday. That is really the only spot I thought more about CB after getting Hill in the first it lessons the immediate need to address....and I forgot to mention inclosing, if this is how the draft goes...don't be shocked if Chandon Sullivan if still unsigned gets signed for minimum back with us as that immediate 4th pure CB for another year.

If I hadn't went Gunter and went CB route few I'd have considered with inside potential would be Castro-Fields from Penn State or Kyler McMichael from North Carolina

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Many asked me when the Reed news fell if this changes my approach at all...and honestly the short answer is yes most certainly. The situation I had been presented often with Karlaftis or Wyatt slipping to 22 along with a WR I like makes me lean WR more than I had earlier (I can for sure pass up Karlaftis...Wyatt would most likely be way too good to do so though).

That all said here is a for the most part set still (despite I do think Gute trades something Day 1 or in the 2nd of somekind)...I do predict a late Round 3 slide up of small size merely because of the way the board fell and picks went it became necessary for the player targeted IMO.

Here we go:

Everyone knows I love Olave...in this mock he was gone and I will pick Burks all day everyday if Olave is gone. Burks frame and burst is next level. Folks merely looking at his forty time (for 225lbs a 4.55 is still solid and remember Davante ran that) are ignorant and need to watch him with pads on and just watch how special that first few step burst he has is, and then as DBs "try to tackle" him you will chuckle at times with how much power he has. He however isn't just a YAC guy, his ability to contort and shift his body in flight to high point a ball is IMPRESSIVE and he uses his body position very well which is crucial as he isn't blessed with elite vertical ability (but is not bad either). With LaFluer calling plays and Rodgers the one tossing the ball his way I see zero reason Burks out the gate couldn't be a 60-70 rec/700yd/7TD type rookie and he would pair perfectly with Lazard and a veteran out wide WR pick up (Jones or Green come to mind). GB Trends: Stays in line with normal approaches of big school, multi-year producer...leaves the trend of 8.00 RAS or higher, but Burks build and approach isn't surprising he didn't quite hit that threshold.

This pick kills two needs with one high level pick. Savage is deadly at times dropping down into coverage or slot for us...he is equally deadly staying high too, Daxton Hill instantly serves in whichever spot Savage isn't if on the field at the same time. His coverage skills are excellent in the slot, he diagnosis plays quickly and is of great assistance in attacking a run play instantly upon recognition. A legit 4.33 forty type guy with ELITE shuttle and cone drill - he shines in avoiding block attempts and using his skillset to get hands on the ball carriers working in space outside the tackles where some DBs struggle. He is IMO an instant starter for most teams and would be for us if Savage wasn't here...but depending what Barry decides we could see A LOT of snaps where Amos, Savage and Hill if drafted are all on the field.GB Trends: Stays in line with normal approaches of big school, multi-year producer. His measured athleticism is impressive sporting a 9.03 RAS which holds to the 8.0+ unofficial GB trend hreshold.

We are not abandoning the normal Packers mentality of "draft and develop" with a speedy WR that is coming off of an ACL injury late in his college career in the SEC Championship game. Metchie has the skillset and abilities to play the Z or line up in the slot once he is back up and running. IF he comes back fine, he instantly is as capable of blowing the top off the backend like MVS, but has a much more expansive route tree than MVS did as a rookie. His stop and start up speeds are elite and impressive when you see it happen in games. With Burks already here, this is an insurance pick and potentially a massive swing into the future and stays very faithful with Gute and TT's approaches over the years. GB Trends: Stays in line with normal approaches of big school, multi-year producer. His measured athleticism is impressive and most assume had he been able to test would have not just eclipsed 8.00 but most likely also 9.0.

Here is a guy I've not touched on much but do love what he brings to the table. Originally a line backer and a tight end out of high school Memphis originally brought him in to play TE, however he switched over and started his first two seasons at left guard, third year at right tackle and ended his career starting right guard. Such a versatile background bids him well to serve as a potential starter at LG/RG/RT and possibly back up center. His arm length is 33.5 and his RAS being 9.01 he is vastly too appealing for Gute to leave sitting on the board and instantly pushes for a starting guard spot - strengthening our OL room worst case and quite promisingly our starting line up. Personally I would predict he beats Newman out, if not right away by the years end if Newman continues to be the average performer with promise not showing more promise each week.GB Trends: Stays in trend with being a multi-year producer and in his RAS score being 8+ at 9.01. He is from a smaller school type.

The high caliber edges are starting to get thin and more projects than contributors are there...Gute makes a move to get one of the last few guys I personally feel could handle a 25-40% snap count role on the right fit type team in Sam Williams. He is an athletic freak for his size and Edge/OLB position (9.97 RAS as linebacker...9.65 as DE) and folks his 10 yard split is WR level at 1.55. Three solid productive years, topping it all off in 2021 with his best to date and 12.5 sacks total! I've seen the Preston Smith comparison brought up by scouts in how well he can play the run, yet still be a menace against the QB in pass plays, and I'd agree that comp fits. If you have a Preston of the future, that would be a homerun for sure. GB Trends: Stays in trend in RAS, big school and multiple year production.

Waletzko is kind of a project...but also not given all the tape and production he has exhibited of late at the Senior Bowl (confirming better comp isn't too much for him) and the combine. He has put together 28 careet starts, all at LT in North Dakota's heavy run schemed offense...which makes sense that we are talking about a LT with agility and movement skills rarely seen, especially for his size (6'7' 312lbs), nearly ran a 5.00 flat forty, jumped 30 inches and his broad was right around 9 and a half. Again folks that is a LT with a 6'7' (and a half) height and 312lbs doing that....not Jordan Davis impressive but still impressive. The crazy thing is for a big frame, Waletzko is cut very high and doesn't illustrate the leg weight or mid-section one would expect to see with a 300 plus pound LT. Leads me to believe we may see him through condition and his first year look to add some weight, especially since he has the agility and movements skills to give some if necessary even. While LT is his home, drafting Waletzko to me instantly gives us depth or competition at RT as well from day 1...and now allows Newman to focus on Guard even with Parham drafted - as it is clearly where the Packers felt he is best served it seems. OL room is set now 100% given how the draft fell.GB Trends: Blows the 8+ RAS trend out of the water at 9.92, comes with multiple years of experience and production...however does come from a small school which is not normal.

Here is one all of Wisconsin fans will rejoice in the selection. Surprisingly a good athlete Henningsen constantly played the front for a stout Wisconsin defense and made it possible for very good LBs behind him shine for sure. He's more built like Lowry or Keke were out of college at 6'3' 295, while he won't wow you with strength on the bench his body control and technique serve him and his team very well in how he holds his gap integrity even against double teams at times...and while many felt he didn't have the burst or explosion needed to be a pressurer (never had more than 4 sacks a year in college), those that watch him always said he played to his role and often times even on passing downs he was found manipulating the pocket and QB often even if he didn't get a hand on him. Matt however put up ELITE level marks in his Vertical of 37.5 (nearly tops in position), inch shy of 10 foot broad, a 4.29 shuttle and 7.19 3cone....there are TEs that will be drafted with worse figures. With the addition of Reed, waiting to the fourth is easily a comfortable thing to do and Henningsen is an excellent compliment to the room which once was depleted is filling out nicely with both veterans and young promising potential. GB Trends: Easily clears the 8+ RAS trend out of the water at 9.3, comes with multiple years of experience and production and did so at a big time school in a big time conference.

I've discussed Gunter before enough....high high ceiling type pick and a guy that is rated as high as the fourth or as low as an UDFA. I happen to love a lot of what I see is inside Gunter and take him falling to the very top end of the 6th round on Day 3 GB Trends: 8+ RAS trend is there with a 9.73, comes with multiple years of experience and production, however a smaller school albeit an ascending program.

This is a BIG boy and while NT use is lessoning and lessoning in today's game...there is no denying their value is still there and having a plugger with skill is worth taking a chance of hitting in the 7th. His 6'2' frame holds 342lbs on it and McCall brings with it high character and high ability to accomplish the lost art of sticking and holding a low center of scrimmage while and moving it if needed. He has the potential to be an early down and goal line beast for a team.GB Trends: He has been productive at a big school and big conference, no RAS to report though KY pro day may allow me to construct one depending what he does that day.

I've touched on him before, but I like Price late in the 7th to avoid him signing elsewhere as an UDFA...and with Hill coming off injury and Jones in his last season given contract structure putting a guy in there to be a depth and most likely PS stash type guy is worth it here. He emerged as the lead back for FI in 2020 and set records with 6.8 yards per rush and 116.2 yards per game in his run as lead. Capable receiving threat out of the backfield and experience blocker in pass sets make him a very viable future support or RB2 potentially for a team. His combine most likely put him on more radars as he did end up running an elite 4.38 forty
GB Trends: He is a highly productive guy but from a small school...but his RAS is elite at 9.71

An undersized to many ILB at 6'1' 233lbs he fits passing sub packages in today's NFL excellently and could push for some three down role in a year or two IMO. Great speed for his position at 4.6 but his ten yard split is elite 1.57 and is why he has shown capabilities to locate and cover RB out of the backfield in the flats and TEs as well. Should provide excellent ST play while he grows in the role of an NFL ILB if nothing else.GB Trends: He is a highly productive guy from a top level school and sports a 9.1 RAS
I'd be extremely surprised if any first year receiver ever caught 60-70 passes from Aaron Rodgers.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be extremely surprised if any first year receiver ever caught 60-70 passes from Aaron Rodgers.

IF Rodgers wants to EASILY. Just like in those games without Adams, no one can spread the ball better and more efficiently IMO than #12 for GB. The key is when he needs to or wants to.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could Fred Johnson be this year,s Dennis Kelly signing?

I'm gonna say no, mainly though due to the age difference (Johnson is only 24) and he didn't see the field a lot. Dennis had 47 starts before GB and 16 in 2020 before coming here.

Reaction score
I'm gonna say no, mainly though due to the age difference (Johnson is only 24) and he didn't see the field a lot. Dennis had 47 starts before GB and 16 in 2020 before coming here.
pretty good projections overall. I agree with Pike in a slight adjustment. Even if Burks gets regular action it’s unlikely he sees more than 45-55 catches. But more importantly? Burks is Basically like Deebo Samuel. Burks will have a 13.5 per catch floor.. and a 18.5 ceiling.

I suspect he will finished around ~15 per reception. He’s very formidable YAC. Meaning with just 45 receptions, expect those 700 yards you projected. You’re actually both correct to a degree

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pretty good projections overall. I agree with Pike in a slight adjustment. Even if Burks gets regular action it’s unlikely he sees more than 45-55 catches. But more importantly? He’s a got a 13.5 per catch floor and a 18.5 ceiling. I suspect he will finished around ~15 per reception. He’s very formidable YAC. Meaning with just 45 receptions, expect 650-700 yards.

True being a YAC type his receptions I may have been heavy handed on, but if Rodgers wants to I promise anyone - a rookie can look like a two year or three year guy IMO.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was kind of curious so I went back and looked into this as best I could.
2008 Jordy Nelson caught 33 passes (366yd, 2TD)
2009, 2010 I don't think we had any rookie WRs catch any passes
2011 Randall Cobb caught 25 passes (375yd, 1TD)
2012 Jarrett Boykin caught 5 passes (27yd, 0TD)
2013 I don't think had anyone either
2014 Jeff Janis caught 2 passes (16yd) and Davante Adams caught 38 passes (446yd, 3TD)
2015 Jared Abbrederis caught 9 passes (111yd). I guess technically he was a second-year player but missed that whole first year with injury of course.
2016 Geronimo Allison caught 12 passes (202yd, 2TD), Trevor Davis caught 3 passes (24yd, 1TD)
2017 Michael Clark caught 4 passes (41yd)
2018 Allen Lazard caught 1 pass (7yd), J'Mon Moore caught 2 passes (15yd), Equanimeous St. Brown caught 21 passes (328yd), Marquez Valdes-Scantling caught 38 passes (581yd, 2TD). So I guess if you added them all up then you are hitting 60 receptions.... :p
2019, 2020 Had none, I think
2021 Amari Rodgers caught 4 passes (45yd)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was kind of curious so I went back and looked into this as best I could.
2008 Jordy Nelson caught 33 passes (366yd, 2TD)
2009, 2010 I don't think we had any rookie WRs catch any passes
2011 Randall Cobb caught 25 passes (375yd, 1TD)
2012 Jarrett Boykin caught 5 passes (27yd, 0TD)
2013 I don't think had anyone either
2014 Jeff Janis caught 2 passes (16yd) and Davante Adams caught 38 passes (446yd, 3TD)
2015 Jared Abbrederis caught 9 passes (111yd). I guess technically he was a second-year player but missed that whole first year with injury of course.
2016 Geronimo Allison caught 12 passes (202yd, 2TD), Trevor Davis caught 3 passes (24yd, 1TD)
2017 Michael Clark caught 4 passes (41yd)
2018 Allen Lazard caught 1 pass (7yd), J'Mon Moore caught 2 passes (15yd), Equanimeous St. Brown caught 21 passes (328yd), Marquez Valdes-Scantling caught 38 passes (581yd, 2TD). So I guess if you added them all up then you are hitting 60 receptions.... :p
2019, 2020 Had none, I think
2021 Amari Rodgers caught 4 passes (45yd)

We have never had a more open WR room with a new guy coming in however. EVER, in Rodgers time here.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have never had a more open WR room with a new guy coming in however. EVER, in Rodgers time here.
Yeah, definitely true. For some context in that regard:

2008 - Jennings 80 rec, Driver 74
2009 - Driver 70 rec, Jennings 68, Finley 55
2010 - Jennings 76 rec, Driver 51, Jones 50, Jordy 45
2011 - Jordy 68 rec, Jennings 67, Finley 55, Jones 38, Driver 37
2012 - Cobb 80 rec, Jones 64, Finley 61, Jordy 49, Jennings 36
2013 - Jordy 85 rec, Jones 59, Boykin 49, Quarless 32, Cobb 31
2014 - Jordy 98 rec, Cobb 91
2015 - Cobb 79 rec, Richard Rodgers 58 (That kinda surprised me), Davante 50, Jones 50
2016 - Jordy 97 rec, Davante 75, Cobb 60, Cook 30, R. Rodgers 30
2017 - Davante 74 rec, Cobb 66, Jordy 53
2018 - Davante 111 rec, Graham 55, Cobb 38
2019 - Davante 83 rec, Graham 38, Lazard 35, Geronimo 34, MVS 26, etc
2020 - Davante 115 rec, Tonyan 52, MVS 33, Lazard 33

And here's what the currently-signed crop of pass-catchers (well, WR and TE - not counting RBs) for the 2022 season caught in 2021:
Allen Lazard - 40 rec
Randall Cobb - 28 rec
Josiah Deguara - 25 rec
Marcedes Lewis - 23 rec
Robert Tonyan - 18 rec (Injured; 52 rec in 2020)
Juwann Winfree - 8 rec
Amari Rodgers - 4 rec
Tyler Davis - 4 rec
Malik Taylor - 2 rec
Dominique Dafney - 2 rec
Rico Gafford - 0 rec
Chris Blair - 0 rec
Alize Mack - 0 rec

Sooooo....yeah. It's pretty open, lol

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely true. For some context in that regard:

2008 - Jennings 80 rec, Driver 74
2009 - Driver 70 rec, Jennings 68, Finley 55
2010 - Jennings 76 rec, Driver 51, Jones 50, Jordy 45
2011 - Jordy 68 rec, Jennings 67, Finley 55, Jones 38, Driver 37
2012 - Cobb 80 rec, Jones 64, Finley 61, Jordy 49, Jennings 36
2013 - Jordy 85 rec, Jones 59, Boykin 49, Quarless 32, Cobb 31
2014 - Jordy 98 rec, Cobb 91
2015 - Cobb 79 rec, Richard Rodgers 58 (That kinda surprised me), Davante 50, Jones 50
2016 - Jordy 97 rec, Davante 75, Cobb 60, Cook 30, R. Rodgers 30
2017 - Davante 74 rec, Cobb 66, Jordy 53
2018 - Davante 111 rec, Graham 55, Cobb 38
2019 - Davante 83 rec, Graham 38, Lazard 35, Geronimo 34, MVS 26, etc
2020 - Davante 115 rec, Tonyan 52, MVS 33, Lazard 33

And here's what the currently-signed crop of pass-catchers (well, WR and TE - not counting RBs) for the 2022 season caught in 2021:
Allen Lazard - 40 rec
Randall Cobb - 28 rec
Josiah Deguara - 25 rec
Marcedes Lewis - 23 rec
Robert Tonyan - 18 rec (Injured; 52 rec in 2020)
Juwann Winfree - 8 rec
Amari Rodgers - 4 rec
Tyler Davis - 4 rec
Malik Taylor - 2 rec
Dominique Dafney - 2 rec
Rico Gafford - 0 rec
Chris Blair - 0 rec
Alize Mack - 0 rec

Sooooo....yeah. It's pretty open, lol
Good info. That reminds me how vital it is to have veteran leaders in those Rooms.

The other thing I’d point out is no receiver in that 60-70+ yard catches range was a Rookie in that entire post. I’m not saying a Rookie can’t match Jordy, but in a year where the game plan will be to rely on spreading the ball more?
Jordy Nelson Rookie 35 catches
James Jones Rookie 47 catches
Greg Jennings Rookie 45 catches
Randall Cobb Rookie 25 catches

Don’t get Me wrong. I’d love Burks to come in at 65 catches and his usual 16per catch yards. Also remember it’s improbable that the Packers sign 1 WR and then ignore the position. I’m fully expecting us to sign a #2 type veteran or another top #50 type Wideout to fill that WR room. If Brian signs just 1 rookie Wideout and no other help?
I’m writing Congress! Then I’m toilet papering his bushes

Love you guys! I’m beat I’m going to bed

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
True being a YAC type his receptions I may have been heavy handed on, but if Rodgers wants to I promise anyone - a rookie can look like a two year or three year guy IMO.
I guess my response would be, just when is Rodgers going to want to start throwing to a guy who ISN'T always where he wants him to be? You really think Rodgers is going to start changing his MO at this point in his career? I'm thinking he's going to throw mostly to the receivers who have worked with him for a while already.
That's why I wouldn't be in a huge rush to reach for a WR in the 1st round, especially if you have other options available on your board at different positions.
Of course, no one here can possibly know what the Packers board will look like at pick 22 or 28, but I assure you, what we will see on this forum if the Packers choose a player that is, god forbid, not on the so called internet draft experts (rank amateurs all) draft boards at that high a position, we will have people here calling for Gutekunst's immediate firing.

I will laugh at these types and mock them mercilessly.

PS: Sorry for the horrible grammar.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess my response would be, just when is Rodgers going to want to start throwing to a guy who ISN'T always where he wants him to be? You really think Rodgers is going to start changing his MO at this point in his career? I'm thinking he's going to throw mostly to the receivers who have worked with him for a while already.
That's why I wouldn't be in a huge rush to reach for a WR in the 1st round, especially if you have other options available on your board at different positions.
Of course, no one here can possibly know what the Packers board will look like at pick 22 or 28, but I assure you, what we will see on this forum if the Packers choose a player that is, god forbid, not on the so called internet draft experts (rank amateurs all) draft boards at that high a position, we will have people here calling for Gutekunst's immediate firing.

To be fair, any good QB isn't going to throw a ball to a guy routinely out of position. Which is why I lean far more to the route technicians even if at the cost of home run potential.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So just to be clear. You will mercilessly mock those that get upset when Gute does not follow the mock draft of their favorite expert(s)?

Reaction score
To be fair, any good QB isn't going to throw a ball to a guy routinely out of position. Which is why I lean far more to the route technicians even if at the cost of home run potential.
That’s true. It’s just more exemplified by #12 is all.
Not a slight on him, he doesn’t want to give our opponent an inch of help.

Now that DT is addressed. We are likely 1 more FA signing from getting a better opportunity to draft both a WR and CB/S early.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s true. It’s just more exemplified by #12 is all.
Not a slight on him, he doesn’t want to give our opponent an inch of help.

Now that DT is addressed. We are likely 1 more FA signing from getting a better opportunity to draft both a WR and CB/S early.

You give me a competent WR in FA to add to Cobb, Lazard and our support depth I know many might hang me for it, but I'm not forcing a WR pick at any point in the draft. #12 is the best freaking QB in the league IMO, and we have on of the best RB tandems, and excellently well built Defense, ascending OL (could use some draft), ascending TE room as whole....I like nearly every room in GB and at minimum say it is average EXCEPT the WR one. However you add a top 60 WR selection, a decent FA and we are flirting with it.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So just to be clear. You will mercilessly mock those that get upset when Gute does not follow the mock draft of their favorite expert(s)?
Nope. Don't mind if people have different opinions or when then put more stock in an amateur's opinion over a successful professional GM. The professionals have done much more research and talked to the prospects much more than the internet amateurs.
I will mercilessly mock those that foolishly call for the GM's head because they chose someone different. And I will do so without apology. Too many knee-jerk knuckleheads running around on this planet not to call them out when they can't control their keyboard.

Reaction score
You give me a competent WR in FA to add to Cobb, Lazard and our support depth I know many might hang me for it, but I'm not forcing a WR pick at any point in the draft. #12 is the best freaking QB in the league IMO, and we have on of the best RB tandems, and excellently well built Defense, ascending OL (could use some draft), ascending TE room as whole....I like nearly every room in GB and at minimum say it is average EXCEPT the WR one. However you add a top 60 WR selection, a decent FA and we are flirting with it.
Ok. I’m not in the freaking out over WR corner. I’m also not of the nonchalant area either.

I think we sign at least a lower veteran #2-higher #3 type in a trade or FA to relieve some pressure

I think we should use #22 or #28 in some capacity. Trade up - trade back for a WR.
Such as…

#22 DL/Edge Defender
slight trade back to top from #28 —
— #33 WR
#53 OL
#59 WR
#92 Edge/DL
#106 TE (acquired trade back)
#132 CB
#140 Safety

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Here we go:

At 6'1 233 Spector is approximately Campbell's size (Campbell is 6'2 232 so not a huge difference)

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I'm thinking he will quickly change and throw to someone if that person gets open and catches the ball. I'm looking forward to drafting two receivers within the top 4 picks.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
And I'm thinking he will quickly change and throw to someone if that person gets open and catches the ball. I'm looking forward to drafting two receivers within the top 4 picks.
Well that would be extremely out of character for Rodgers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to have a bonafide #1. Especially with a big price tag. And then he won't have a choice. I guess in that respect I want to give the scheme a chance. But I definitely want to address the receiver situation. And one of them has to have some deep speed. Otherwise the opposing D can play us too tight. I'm very much looking forward to the draft. So far we haven't made a lot of moves. But I like what we have done. I'm feeling good about the team for 2022.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said it elsewhere but like it or not he's pretty well going to have to adjust. Rodgers isn't dumb and I'm sure he knows that we won't be serious contenders if he's only going to force-feed the ball to Lazard and Cobb because he trusts them and nobody else.

Members online

Latest posts