Reaction score
Nick Perry
Muhammad Wilkerson
Lance Kendricks
Byron Bell
Davon House
Antonio Morrison and
Eddie Pleasant

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/03/former-packers-olb-nick-perry-remains-unsigned/

Anyone worth bringing back on minimum?

The interesting bit in the article is:

Perry reportedly visited the Seattle Seahawks and was linked with the Miami Dolphins, but neither team completed a deal with the veteran pass-rusher. It seems unlikely the Packers would consider bringing Perry back at a reduced price, even though the team is already paying a massive cap hit for releasing him in March.

Can we improve our cap space if we bring back Perry on a minimum contract if he remains unsigned when camp begins? If so, is it worth it?

What say you all?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eddie Pleasant was a pleasant surprise for coming in on short notice, but he had a pretty good injury I think. Wilkerson, same and with what we have i'm not sure we bring him back at all. I like our vets and I like what the young guys offer. Morrison provided some thump at LB'er, he could come back on a min. contract but i'm not in a hurry to sign him. he's limited in what he can do. of course any injuries might change how much I like a guy coming to our team vs now :) Let's hope we don't need to go thru that. I was disappointed in Kendricks overall. he had a rough start with his hands last year but seemed to get better. not sure what that was all about, but he had his time here, no urge to bring him back.

and a big N and a big O on Nick Perry. He got enough money from us and he's been cut, the cap hit applied. ANything we sign him to again, counts again as far as I know. I don't think there is any way to apply any savings and even if there were, i don't want him back. I don't dislike him, but he made plenty for very little. I'm not big on giving him more at this point.,

H

HardRightEdge

Nick Perry
Muhammad Wilkerson
Lance Kendricks
Byron Bell
Davon House
Antonio Morrison and
Eddie Pleasant

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/03/former-packers-olb-nick-perry-remains-unsigned/

Anyone worth bringing back on minimum?

The interesting bit in the article is:

Can we improve our cap space if we bring back Perry on a minimum contract if he remains unsigned when camp begins? If so, is it worth it?

What say you all?
No, you cannot improve the cap space by bringing Perry back. The dead cap on his last contract is just that, dead, dead and dead. Signing him to a new contract would have nothing to do with the old one.

The Perry train left the Green Bay station. If Green Bay does not have an Amtrak stop, then lets say he left on a plane out of Austin Straubel and he ain't coming back. Pettine isn't even favoring that type of edge player with Gutukunst spending major capital on length with Z. Smith and Gary.

It would take a mess of injuries at the OLB position for there to be a chance he'd be back in a desperation move, and even then probably not.

Wilkerson's injury was very nasty. Just looking at it, I'd say he might not play again. If he still wants to try, he might not be able to pass a physical. There's not a ton of demand for DLs only fit to play in base D which isn't even base D anymore. We should call it "run D".

I'd rather have Kendricks than Lewis. He at least would provide the versatility to play H-back. However, he's staring down the barrell of a suspension for marijuana possession.

House, Morrison, Pleasant? Meh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, you cannot improve the cap space by bringing Perry back. The dead cap on his last contract is just that, dead, dead and dead. Signing him to a new contract would have nothing to do with the old one.

The Perry train left the Green Bay station. If Green Bay does not have an Amtrak stop, then lets say he left on a plane out of Austin Straubel and he ain't coming back. Pettine isn't even favoring that type of edge player with Gutukunst spending major capital on length with Z. Smith and Gary.

It would take a mess of injuries at the OLB position for there to be a chance he'd be back in a desperation move, and even then probably not.

Wilkerson's injury was very nasty. Just looking at it, I'd say he might not play again. If he still wants to try, he might not be able to pass a physical. There's not a ton of demand for DLs only fit to play in base D which isn't even base D anymore. We should call it "run D".

I'd rather have Kendricks than Lewis. He at least would provide the versatility to play H-back. However, he's staring down the barrell of a suspension for marijuana possession.

House, Morrison, Pleasant? Meh.
HardRight, can you remind me. What was Wilkerson’s injury? I thought it was an ankle but didn’t realize it was so severe.

Regardless, the team looks pretty solid at DL for now. I’m not interested in any of these guys, especially Perry. Fool me once, as the saying goes. Thanks.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may have gotten Pleasant and Campbell confused. I need a break

H

HardRightEdge

HardRight, can you remind me. What was Wilkerson’s injury? I thought it was an ankle but didn’t realize it was so severe.
See for yourself.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

He may have snapped a bone. It was bad enough he got taken off on a cart. He had two surgeries on it. Broken bones around the ankle or in the foot can be quite problematic. Tendon involvement makes it all the worse.

Now, read the following:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...uhammad-wilkerson-undergoes-2nd-ankle-surgery

Dr. Anderson said he expected full recovery. What does that mean, "full recovery"? Does he mean full recovery as us civilians would define it, not walking with a limp or with pain? Or is it as an NFL football player would have to define it, able to play on it with incredible stresses placed on it? That might involve restricted movement and significant pain.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See for yourself.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dr. Anderson said he expected full recovery. What does that mean, "full recovery"? Does he mean full recovery as us civilians would define it, not walking with a limp or with pain? Or is it as an NFL football player would have to define it, able to play on it with incredible stresses placed on it? That might involve restricted movement and significant pain.

My assumption from that would be full to resume practice and continue his career within a reasonable amount of time. Now has he gone about the rest of the steps in the rehab process? Who knows. Given his history with Pettine, if he's not brought in for a physical it's certainly saying something.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think the Packers are interested in bringing one of the players listed back. Wilkerson might present a decent option if fully healthy though.

Lewis is a better blocker than Kendricks though. At least he was for most of his career.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only one I'd maybe consider is Morrison...depth and thumper...

I am no Perry fan for how we fleeced ourselves of money for him...but we'd be idiots not to take him if he'd do league minimum with incentives...but he will get a contract above that for sure, he has better skills than many out there.

H

HardRightEdge

My assumption from that would be full to resume practice and continue his career within a reasonable amount of time. Now has he gone about the rest of the steps in the rehab process? Who knows. Given his history with Pettine, if he's not brought in for a physical it's certainly saying something.
It's been 9 months since that second surgery. That indicates the injury was just as bad as it looked and as was initially reported by the Packers as "significant".

Wilkerson has had 5 separate injuries to his lower right leg: turf toe, fibula fracture (Jan. 3, 2016), ankle sprain, toe fracture, and now ankle fracture, in that order.

He was not the same pass rusher after that fibula fracture in the last game of 2015. While we do not know the exact nature of this ankle fracture, certain ankle fractures that involve external rotation of the ankle (Malleous fracture), with such rotation appearing to be the case here, involve a fibula fracture and possible ligament damage.

Wilkerson is a high mileage player, logging 80 - 90% snap counts in years with the Jets, turning an "old 30" this coming season given the snaps and injuries. I'm no doctor, just a guy with two eyes, a memory and a google browser. But we do know that the older a player gets and the more mileage he has, the more likely injuries follow, and the more injuries and age, the more likely more injuries will follow that.

Now, Wilkerson has been a warrior. He played through some of those injuries or had quick turnarounds. I have no idea if he has the love of the game, the will to keep playing, to try a comeback. But if he does make it back his age and injury history says he will be a marginal player.

As for the assumption of "full recovery" to play football, not just walking around recovery, that might be Rappaport's assumption not Dr. Anderson's as pertains to that earlier link. Alternatively, there's that old bromide that may apply here:

Q: What's the difference between a surgeon and God?
A: God does not think he's a surgeon.

H

HardRightEdge

Lewis is a better blocker than Kendricks though. At least he was for most of his career.
Kendricks was the better blocker from the H-back position last season. How much LaFleur would use that formation is TBD, though the fact there's a FB on the roster would indicate that option is open.

H

HardRightEdge

Only one I'd maybe consider is Morrison...depth and thumper...

I am no Perry fan for how we fleeced ourselves of money for him...but we'd be idiots not to take him if he'd do league minimum with incentives...but he will get a contract above that for sure, he has better skills than many out there.
Here is the litany of Nick Perry's injuries:

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/nick-perry/5084
  • 1 concussion
  • A right shoulder labrum tear requiring surgery followed by 4 more injuries to that shoulder. His orthopedic surgeon might have declared "full recovery", as many do in many cases, which would beg the question of what that phrase would even mean. You will probably never hear an orthopedic surgeon operating on an professional athlete say "full athletic recovery with no residual risk of reinjury". Injury and/or surgery is not a brake job on your automobile.
  • He had surgery on his left hand. Then a second injury and surgery on that hand. Then another injury to that hand. Is it worth belaboring the point about "full recovery"?
  • A right knee tear in 2012; hyperextended in 2018.
  • Right foot fracture in 2013, came back, and sidelined again with that injury that season.
After all this, how much of the athletic ability at the time he was drafted remains? That does not include the mental toll. Young players who have not suffered a serious injury and gone under the knife bring an "invincibility" attitude as a positive in their mental approach to the game. In a case like this that must be gone by now.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is the litany of Nick Perry's injuries:

https://sportsinjurypredictor.com/player/nick-perry/5084
  • 1 concussion
  • A right shoulder labrum tear requiring surgery followed by 4 more injuries to that shoulder. His orthopedic surgeon might have declared "full recovery", as many do in many cases, which would beg the question of what that phrase would even mean. You will probably never hear an orthopedic surgeon operating on an professional athlete say "full athletic recovery with no residual risk of reinjury". Injury and/or surgery is not a brake job on your automobile.
  • He had surgery on his left hand. Then a second injury and surgery on that hand. Then another injury to that hand. Is it worth belaboring the point about "full recovery"?
  • A right knee tear in 2012; hyperextended in 2018.
  • Right foot fracture in 2013, came back, and sidelined again with that injury that season.
After all this, how much of the athletic ability at the time he was drafted remains? That does not include the mental toll. Young players who have not suffered a serious injury and gone under the knife bring an "invincibility" attitude as a positive in their mental approach to the game. In a case like this that must be gone by now.
Wow, thanks for the detail. At this point in his career, I’m surprised he just doesn’t call it a day.

D

Deleted member 6794

With Perry still being unsigned it seems other teams aren't that interested in offering him a decent contract.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I may have gotten Pleasant and Campbell confused. I need a break
Me too. It's too hot. I have Packer blood. I'd rather go north in the Summer than south in the Winter. Freakin' 85 in Anchorage! :mad:

As for the topic, I'm not one of the Thompson/Capers total bashers but, I always thought Nick Perry was a bad fit for this scheme. He's another John Abrahamish tweener who was better suited as a back end rusher in a 4-3. That's definitely what he did best at USC. He's been a solid player but, another 1st round underachiever.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing that prevented him from being a 10+ sack a year guy who was very good against the run as well was injury. I never really heard anything about his work ethic until the last year, so maybe there is some of that in there too, or maybe he was just always injured. I don't know enough to really have an opinion on that, but the injuries would be enough to keep most people at bay at this point. he didn't have very many healthy games in a few seasons. His paydays are over I think. might get a minimum type contract from someone if he really wants to play for that.

D

Deleted member 6794

The only thing that prevented him from being a 10+ sack a year guy who was very good against the run as well was injury. I never really heard anything about his work ethic until the last year, so maybe there is some of that in there too, or maybe he was just always injured. I don't know enough to really have an opinion on that, but the injuries would be enough to keep most people at bay at this point. he didn't have very many healthy games in a few seasons.

Do you actually accept any other reason than injury for a Thompson draft pick who has underachieved???

D

Deleted member 6794

You think physical ability was Perry's biggest issue?

No, Perry being best suited to line up in a 4-3 defense was an issue though. The team asking him to gain or lose weight at various points didn't help either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and him NOT being in a perfect situation wasn't what prevented him from being a very good player either. It was his inability to stay on the field. You don't have to find yourself in a perfect situation to be successful and the reasons he wasn't I think are rather obvious. You could have put him in a 4-3 defense, he's no better because he couldn't stay on the field.

D

Deleted member 6794

and him NOT being in a perfect situation wasn't what prevented him from being a very good player either. It was his inability to stay on the field. You don't have to find yourself in a perfect situation to be successful and the reasons he wasn't I think are rather obvious. You could have put him in a 4-3 defense, he's no better because he couldn't stay on the field.

There's no doubt Perry was injured a lot but aside of during his contract year he didn't perform up to expectations when on the field either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Perry was a disappointment, trust me I know. But you know as well as I do, he was rarely on the field without something. I think even his best year he had a broken hand or something didn't he? He rarely played in even 50% of the available snaps for this team whereas most other pass rushers are playing 70 and 80% for their teams. I think even the grand PFF had him ranked in the top 10 for OLB's in about his only halfway healthy season. He was very good against the run and had plenty of pass rushing skills. He "should" have been better and likely would have been if he had a body that could hold up. Or maybe he was just a ***** with a bad attitude, in which case, 4-3 wasn't going to help him either. The scheme wasn't the reason Nick Perry wasn't more productive or successful.

D

Deleted member 6794

Nick Perry was a disappointment, trust me I know. But you know as well as I do, he was rarely on the field without something. I think even his best year he had a broken hand or something didn't he? He rarely played in even 50% of the available snaps for this team whereas most other pass rushers are playing 70 and 80% for their teams. I think even the grand PFF had him ranked in the top 10 for OLB's in about his only halfway healthy season. He was very good against the run and had plenty of pass rushing skills. He "should" have been better and likely would have been if he had a body that could hold up. Or maybe he was just a ***** with a bad attitude, in which case, 4-3 wasn't going to help him either. The scheme wasn't the reason Nick Perry wasn't more productive or successful.

Perry was definitely injured too much but it wasn't the only reason he didn't live up to expectations after being selected in the first round. He didn't excel at rushing the passer for most of his career even when healthy.