Do we miss philbin?

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
Hmmmm......doubtful. He has nothing to do with the drop passes, and careless route running. It's all about execution. These are the same guys from last year, same play book, same basic stuff. They just need to knock the rust off. It will happen, soon.......Seahawks game !!!!

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe. There has been a difference so far in performance. Only difference is Philbin gone - which also resulted in: QB coach to OC; TE coach to QB coach; and RB coach to WR coach.

MM takes a strong role in the Offense, so I would think the impact would be minimal; but then again, thats a lot of change when you think about it.

Give them a couple of weeks. Perhaps they need some time to get comfortable.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Maybe. There has been a difference so far in performance. Only difference is Philbin gone - which also resulted in: QB coach to OC;
I heard the OL was experimenting with trying to add elements from a different blocking scheme which might explain why the OL suddenly looks retarded.
TE coach to QB coach;
inaccuracy
RB coach to WR coach.
Thought it was to TE coach... would explain the drops if you're right.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
If the ball hits the WR or TE in the hands and he does not catch it, IMO, that has nothing to do with who ever is the coach for that position. That has to do with a lack of concentration and follow through.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I heard the OL was experimenting with trying to add elements from a different blocking scheme which might explain why the OL suddenly looks retarded. inaccuracy Thought it was to TE coach... would explain the drops if you're right.

Not inaccurate, this is right from Packers.com

http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/ben-mcadoo/ddde86ed-0482-4a5b-a422-b1f710c03fd2

Spent his first six seasons in Green Bay as the team’s tight ends coach before being named to his current position as quarterbacks coach on Feb. 13, 2012.

Bennett to WR coach-- Feb

Clements to OC --Feb

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't think so: McCarthy is the offensive mind behind the schemes and he's the play caller. That's as much control as anyone in the NFL has over one side of the ball. IMO two things are at work: First, the drops. As mentioned, that has nothing to do with the coaches, scheme, or play calling. Last week even Jordy Nelson joined in with two drops. Second, Aaron Rodgers accuracy has been a bit off on some passes. I don't think that has anything to do with McAdoo. I think it has to do with Aaron Rodgers being human. Also at this point in his career, having been in the same offense, with the same de facto OC (McCarthy) for a full 7+ seasons, IMO McAdoo has a lot of influence with Harrell and Coleman but almost none with Rodgers. Also Clements, the QB coach who has been with him his entire time in Green Bay is (nominally) the OC.

HyponGrey I'd be interested where you read that about the OL. In the most recent OL thread, I mentioned they have been moving away from the ZBS and that's been a gradual process but I haven't read or heard anything about a big change occurring over the offseason.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense is sluggish the past 3 games... Philbin More or less has been gone for 3 games... Connection?

I don't believe so. The league had a full year of tape and a full offseason to review it. Teams finally realized that the Packers run game isn't a threat. Since you don't need to worry about that, the defense is able to leave two safeties on the field at all time and keep a shell. This takes away the long pass and forces the Packers to play a short to intermediate game.

The best way to spark the offense is to establish the run and hit more short to intermediate big plays. Once the safeties begin to cheat, you hit em deep.

Reaction score
I'm thinking the whole "everyone is banged up!" during training camp messed up our Offense's ... swag?
Bishop goes IR in the 1st preseason game, Herb Taylor is herb taylor, so Coach doesn't trust him to protect ARod... Then Greg and Finley missed a week or two in the preseason, so I'm thinking McCarthy went super protective mode or something, idk.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Forgotten in all of this is the Packers played probably the best defense in week 1 (49ers)
and a top 10 defense (Bears) that is very familiar with our schemes. In addition, Cedric
Benson has been with the team for only about a month.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
HyponGrey I'd be interested where you read that about the OL. In the most recent OL thread, I mentioned they have been moving away from the ZBS and that's been a gradual process but I haven't read or heard anything about a big change occurring over the offseason.
Looking for it. The way I heard it was that they were introducing concepts from... I believe they said an angle blocking scheme? Not a "big change," but a way to start to evolve. I know that on "Ask Vic" it was mentioned back when all the coaching swap was going on that they were trying to introduce the way that RB block to the TE position; it may have been referring to that for all I know.

H

HardRightEdge

Forgotten in all of this is the Packers played probably the best defense in week 1 (49ers)
and a top 10 defense (Bears) that is very familiar with our schemes. In addition, Cedric

Yeah. It's hard to tell on TV since they don't show us what's going on downfield on a checkdown, but I think you have to conclude the coverage has been pretty good. When the ball has gone deep, with the exception of the Driver TD, there's not been much separation in those routes.

I kinda like the West Coast flavor of what they're doing this year with all the slats, seams and screens, more so than we've seen in several years. Polishing more options in the ball control passing game will come in handy. Getting Cobb and Benson touches now will pay off later. Think of it as working on new tools in the Swiss Army knife.

As for the Philbin question...McCarthy is the offensive architect, McCarthy calls the plays. If you don't like the West Coast ****-and-dunk, you know where to lay the (uniformed) blame.

I don't see the drops as a factor...we've had a lot of those in the past. The penalties have been more damaging in my opinion.

PackMan13x

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe so. The league had a full year of tape and a full offseason to review it. Teams finally realized that the Packers run game isn't a threat. Since you don't need to worry about that, the defense is able to leave two safeties on the field at all time and keep a shell. This takes away the long pass and forces the Packers to play a short to intermediate game.

The best way to spark the offense is to establish the run and hit more short to intermediate big plays. Once the safeties begin to cheat, you hit em deep.

I'm pretty sure the league has known our run game hasn't been a threat since 2003, with 1 decent season in 2009.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This cannot be understated. While we would all like to see more scoring, we rarely score many points against the Bears and I believe that the 49ers have an even better defense...younger, faster, more heroes.

I do also think that the loss of Philbin and shuffling of coordinators/coaches has had an effect. All of these factors combine to affect the outcome. While I believe that this is part of the issue, I'm confident that time is on our side and things will smooth out. None of our players forgot how to play the game. It's like a new engine. We're just shaving off some fine metal shavings right now as the pistons find their groove in the cylinders. Just keep things well lubed and we'll be good

Members online

Latest posts