Devin Funchess has opted out of the 2020 season

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sternberger is a wild card imho. He has the potential to catch a lot of passes. And I'm not going to write off the rookie TE just because he is a rookie. And that could open it up for the wide outs.
And let’s not forget the RBs. Both Jones and Williams have proven to be capable receivers. I don’t think Dillon will fall in that category, but who knows?

D

Deleted member 6794

He might not, I said given the same opportunities they wouldn't put up less than our main TE last year. The bar isn't very high but it's not like there is anyone else so chances are some balls are going to go to the TE. I doubt it's going to be Mercedes.

I don't expect any of the tight ends to receive 60 targets this season. With that being said the position group as a whole will have to step up and provide some impact plays for the passing game to strive.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't expect any of the tight ends to receive 60 targets this season. With that being said the position group as a whole will have to step up and provide some impact plays for the passing game to strive.
That would be a disappointing season for Sternberger imho. Graham had 60 targets and 38 receptions last year. I expect Sternberger to improve on that. I think he will get open easier than Graham could. And make contested catches better.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man.....Stern getting 60 targets or not I think is a VERY solid discussion....BUT I'll have to side with CAPT - my gut tells me if I were trying to place an over/under on his targets its somewhere in that 50 or so range so I'd also predict less than 60.

I will be ecstatic most likely if it is more, because that means it all started clicking and he is hopefully excelling.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That would be a disappointing season for Sternberger imho. Graham had 60 targets and 38 receptions last year. I expect Sternberger to improve on that. I think he will get open easier than Graham could. And make contested catches better.

Graham is a veteran TE. While it's possible that Sternberger gets 60 targets it's pretty rare for a second year TE to get that many targets; it's happened 46 times over the past 11 seasons (link to this at bottom). I think the history of TEs taking 3-4 years to get used to the NFL is the biggest hurdle for Sternberger but I also think many fans are glossing over the fact that MLF wants to run the ball more. Last year Rodgers threw 569 passes which will most likely be less if MLF gets his way. So, let's say Rodgers throws the ball 500 times next year (which would have been 16th most last season):
  • Adams should get at least 10 targets a game so that's 160 targets right there
  • Jones had 68 targets last year so hopefully we can pencil him in for AT LEAST 70 targets this year (I would hope for substantially more)
  • Lazard averaged about 5 targets a game last season, we can expect that to go up, so let's assume 7 targets a game for 112 total targets
  • MVS will probably be about 50 targets (less than last year)
  • Allison and ESB combined should be at least 50 targets
  • Jamaal Williams had 45 targets last year but let's only give him 30 this year
That's a total of 472 targets. So Kumerow, Lewis, Tonyan, Dillon, Deguara and Sternberger have a total of 28 targets to share amongst themselves if the Packers throw the ball ~4 fewer times a game. Now, injuries will happen which will shift some of these numbers but as MLF tries to move away from modern football offenses and run the ball more, there are going to be fewer targets available overall. Getting to 60 targets is going to be tough for Sternberger.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=2009&year_max=2019&season_start=1&season_end=2&pos[]=te&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2020&draft_pick_in_round=pick_overall&conference=any&draft_pos[]=qb&draft_pos[]=rb&draft_pos[]=wr&draft_pos[]=te&draft_pos[]=e&draft_pos[]=t&draft_pos[]=g&draft_pos[]=c&draft_pos[]=ol&draft_pos[]=dt&draft_pos[]=de&draft_pos[]=dl&draft_pos[]=ilb&draft_pos[]=olb&draft_pos[]=lb&draft_pos[]=cb&draft_pos[]=s&draft_pos[]=db&draft_pos[]=k&draft_pos[]=p&c1stat=targets&c1comp=gt&c1val=60&c5val=1.0&order_by=targets

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it will completely depend on how Sternberger does out of the gate. If he is getting open and holding on to the ball; Rodgers will seek him out.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Graham is a veteran TE. While it's possible that Sternberger gets 60 targets it's pretty rare for a second year TE to get that many targets; it's happened 46 times over the past 11 seasons (link to this at bottom). I think the history of TEs taking 3-4 years to get used to the NFL is the biggest hurdle for Sternberger but I also think many fans are glossing over the fact that MLF wants to run the ball more. Last year Rodgers threw 569 passes which will most likely be less if MLF gets his way. So, let's say Rodgers throws the ball 500 times next year (which would have been 16th most last season):
  • Adams should get at least 10 targets a game so that's 160 targets right there
  • Jones had 68 targets last year so hopefully we can pencil him in for AT LEAST 70 targets this year (I would hope for substantially more)
  • Lazard averaged about 5 targets a game last season, we can expect that to go up, so let's assume 7 targets a game for 112 total targets
  • MVS will probably be about 50 targets (less than last year)
  • Allison and ESB combined should be at least 50 targets
  • Jamaal Williams had 45 targets last year but let's only give him 30 this year
That's a total of 472 targets. So Kumerow, Lewis, Tonyan, Dillon, Deguara and Sternberger have a total of 28 targets to share amongst themselves if the Packers throw the ball ~4 fewer times a game. Now, injuries will happen which will shift some of these numbers but as MLF tries to move away from modern football offenses and run the ball more, there are going to be fewer targets available overall. Getting to 60 targets is going to be tough for Sternberger.

Who is this Allison??

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t know how many he’ll get. Or Tonyan. I know they have plays they want to go to the TE. Maybe it’s not 60 plays and maybe they’re split, but regardless, I don’t think 300 yards is out of reach for either of them.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers has trust in Big Dawg, don't be shocked if we see him a little more active in the short passing game. He has solid hands, just attached to a SLOW body.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that LaFluer wants a shorter passing game with a stronger running game component. There is a reason they didn't draft a WR but did draft a RB, and it doesn't just have to do with Jones becoming a FA soon. He wants to fundamentally change how this team functions on offense. Most of the posters here still seem to still think that he is intent to utilize Rodgers like this is an Air Coryell offense. I'm not defending his moves, but merely pointing out that he seems to prefer a QB who plays in the current style of the 49ers - a game manager who relies on the running game, ***** and dunks, and strikes on play-action and misdirection.

Losing Funchess hurts, but I don't believe he was intended to play a big role.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not forget that LaFluer wants a shorter passing game with a stronger running game component. There is a reason they didn't draft a WR but did draft a RB, and it doesn't just have to do with Jones becoming a FA soon. He wants to fundamentally change how this team functions on offense. Most of the posters here still seem to still think that he is intent to utilize Rodgers like this is an Air Coryell offense. I'm not defending his moves, but merely pointing out that he seems to prefer a QB who plays in the current style of the 49ers - a game manager who relies on the running game, ***** and dunks, and strikes on play-action and misdirection.

I don't think he wants to emphasize a shorter passing game; that would tend to make running the ball harder as well as not take advantage of a defense trying to load up against the run. I think the Packers will have a passing game that emphasizes short/intermediate throws but only because the team lacks anything close to a reliable deep threat.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree. You can stack against the run and still get blown up in a short passing game. Just because you have safeties near the line doesn't mean the defense can cover TEs and RBs being well-utilized in the passing game.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sternberger getting to 60 targets next year probably means that Adams and Jones missed significant time.
I don't agree. You can stack against the run and still get blown up in a short passing game. Just because you have safeties near the line doesn't mean the defense can cover TEs and RBs being well-utilized in the passing game.

I never meant to say it's impossible, just more difficult.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Losing Funchess isn't a big deal. I think that the Packers already have 3 big-bodied receivers in Lazard. ESB, and Scandling. I don't see Funchess being that much better than those 3 especially since he's new and it takes time to get AR's trust. If the Packers don't get much of a deep threat then the safeties will play up. That really illiminates a lot of short passing lanes and makes it harder to run the ball. Without a deep threat they won't run the ball as effectively or have much of a short passing g game.

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, that's wishful thinking. It takes most tight ends several years to have a meaningful impact and I don't expect Sternberger to be any different.

MVS will probably be about 50 targets (less than last year)

I don't beleive MVS will be targeted that often either.

Maybe it’s not 60 plays and maybe they’re split, but regardless, I don’t think 300 yards is out of reach for either of them.

Just for the record, Graham had 447 receiving yards last season.

The Packers definitely expected Funchess to have a decent role as he was intended to be the #2 wide receiver.

Losing Funchess isn't a big deal. I think that the Packers already have 3 big-bodied receivers in Lazard. ESB, and Scandling. I don't see Funchess being that much better than those 3 especially since he's new and it takes time to get AR's trust.

Funchess definitely would have been an upgrade over either of the three you mentioned.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funchess is a pretty quiet dude on his social media...I kinda wonder if he is sitting back now wishing he'd played this season. With Lazard's injury and even Adams going down for a bit, his chance to shine would have been very prominent.

Sucks...I was very curious to what kind of Funchess we were going to see in GB, now I wonder how well he is staying in shape and honing his skills...dude was a physical specimen for sure, but year off has to hurt no?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Funchess is a pretty quiet dude on his social media...I kinda wonder if he is sitting back now wishing he'd played this season. With Lazard's injury and even Adams going down for a bit, his chance to shine would have been very prominent.

Sucks...I was very curious to what kind of Funchess we were going to see in GB, now I wonder how well he is staying in shape and honing his skills...dude was a physical specimen for sure, but year off has to hurt no?

I don't know if Funchess has some underlying health condition that would make him susceptible to COVID. If he does, then obviously anyone could understand why he decided to sit out.

If he doesn't, then not playing this year was a pretty foolish overreaction. The danger to healthy people from this virus is grossly overstated. A lot of people are responding to media driven hysteria and not the actual data. In fact, some of the loudest voices preaching that we all need to trust science and trust data are routinely ignoring it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Funchess was out of football most of 2019 (3 catches opening day). So he will probably be pretty rusty come 2021.

Funchess opted out in July, so to me he is just a distractive excuse as to why Gute and the Packers didn't do more to upgrade the WR room. I was fine with the signing of Funchess, but only due to the lack of depth. Just the mere fact that the Packers were willing to rely on Funchess as their #2 is saying a lot about Gute's approach to the position.

The Packers are 5-1 and some people are going to only point to that and continue to say "see, they are just fine at WR". I really hope that Gute has watched the play of his WR group and is busy this week trying to land a guy that improves the position.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers are 5-1 and some people are going to only point to that and continue to say "see, they are just fine at WR". I really hope that Gute has watched the play of his WR group and is busy this week trying to land a guy that improves the position.

I still don't know anyone that feels like this. Sure winning can downplay something and two may disagree to what degree the WR room needs help, but I've yet to find anyone that feels we have a stellar or above average NFL room of wideouts.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Funchess was out of football most of 2019 (3 catches opening day). So he will probably be pretty rusty come 2021.

Funchess opted out in July, so to me he is just a distractive excuse as to why Gute and the Packers didn't do more to upgrade the WR room. I was fine with the signing of Funchess, but only due to the lack of depth. Just the mere fact that the Packers were willing to rely on Funchess as their #2 is saying a lot about Gute's approach to the position.

If this is correct, then you should be able to point to some upgrades that were available in July that the team just decided to pass on.

Alternatively, it's just easier to call it a distractive excuse than to admit that it doesn't fit your narrative.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this is correct, then you should be able to point to some upgrades that were available in July that the team just decided to pass on.

To me I still go back to Gabriel...but he oddly chose very late in the game to opt out...so who knows but in July he was still there.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I still don't know anyone that feels like this. Sure winning can downplay something and two may disagree to what degree the WR room needs help, but I've yet to find anyone that feels we have a stellar or above average NFL room of wideouts.

Some people see what they want to see.

Virtually all Packer fans wanted a WR, were disappointed not to have one drafted, and would like the position upgraded.

Some Packer fans are also intellectually capable of nuance. So they can say that the offense can be just fine even if the WR position isn't as good as we would all prefer. And they can recognize that this offense isn't nearly as reliant on WR talent as McCarthy's was.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Maybe I am "reading the room" wrong, but when the Packers were 4-0, it seemed that there were posters and media pointing to the record, the points scored and the fact that Adams wasn't even playing as proof that the offense was just fine. Now that we have whipped another doormat team, I can see people thinking that Tampa Bay was a fluke and the talk returning to "all is well".

More importantly, Gute still has not brought anyone in, so that tells me it isn't top priority for him. Yeah, Yean I know what some are going to say "how do you know he isn't trying?" Well guys, if he is trying, he sure should get an F grade over the last 2 years on his results if all he can bring in is Reggie Begelton and Funchess.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Maybe I am "reading the room" wrong, but when the Packers were 4-0, it seemed that there were posters and media pointing to the record, the points scored and the fact that Adams wasn't even playing as proof that the offense was just fine. Now that we have whipped another doormat team, I can see people thinking that Tampa Bay was a fluke and the talk returning to "all is well".

More importantly, Gute still has not brought anyone in, so that tells me it isn't top priority for him. Yeah, Yean I know what some are going to say "how do you know he isn't trying?" Well guys, if he is trying, he sure should get an F grade over the last 2 years on his results if all he can bring in is Reggie Begelton and Funchess.

There's a difference between saying the offense if fine-- which it is, especially when Lazard is healthy-- and saying that the WR corps specifically is fine. You can have a great unit, offensive or defensive, without every position group being ideal.

Maybe I am "reading the room" wrong, but it sure seems that there are posters rooting for the offense to fail just to vindicate months worth of prognostications that the WR position would doom them.

Members online

Latest posts