Devin Funchess has opted out of the 2020 season

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
This warrants its own individual discussion.

How are we feeling about the WR group?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we're good still. EQSTB is still gonna be back. The only concern is we may HAVE TO keep MVS again!

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am actually pretty sad with this news. I am not following the NFL so close these days so I am not even sure a 2020 season is happening. But Funchess was our joker. Making a mediocre WR group possibly very decent.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was really hoping this wouldn't happen to us, at least nobody "major" but here we are.....

My first thought is this really makes Gute look like an ***/idiot....although it isn't his fault Funchess is opting out. We are now going into 2020 with the same WR Corps though and that's a fact.

Kumerow must be jumping for joy. MVS is probably a little relieved as well.

Oh yeah, I think I see someone rummaging the forum to resurrect the Antonio Brown thread....

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give the 2020 season a 4% chance of happening and that's because i'm in a good mood.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give the 2020 season a 4% chance of happening and that's because i'm in a good mood.

looking worse by the day, that's for sure

forum thoughts... would you rather see the season cancelled or have a neutered season with a large number of replacement players and scrubs?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I'd rather see some football over no football. I do think a majority of players will play. But I'm pretty sure GMs will have a "short list" of players they'll call up if players start to get sick.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This sucks. I saw this and immediately was split. The hopeful Packer backer in me said alright this is Begeltons chance to prove he is what many hope....the other part of me said "****....Begelton being basically a lock is not a good sign....

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do we save that cap? How much was he making? Hopefully, this means Begelton gets more opportunity.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I'd rather see some football over no football. I do think a majority of players will play. But I'm pretty sure GMs will have a "short list" of players they'll call up if players start to get sick.
I agree but if a lot of good players don't play; the championship won't mean much. Not that I'm looking at Funchess as one of them.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree but if a lot of good players don't play; the championship won't mean much. Not that I'm looking at Funchess as one of them.

I disagree. Perseverance through what no other team in NFL history has had to deal with would mean a lot.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adversity happens to every team in the NFL every season. COVID-19 is going to affect every team in some way, shape, or form. The task is now to minimize the effects.

To me, this season is going to come down to who are the most disciplined teams in football. Who's gonna finish every virtual workout, who's going to do those "mental reps" with the playbook every night when they can't do it on the field as much, who's going to avoid partying and extensive traveling, who practices good hygiene, etc.

If anything, in this regard the Packers probably have an advantage. Other than probably Buffalo, Cleveland, and Cincinnati, all the other NFL teams are a proverbial "who's who" list of destination cities across the country. The lack of distractions in Green Bay could be the tinder that sparks a 12 or 13 win season.

Will a couple of star players go down? Absolutely, but that's no different to losing players to the season ending injuries unexpectedly. It's always been "next man up" in the NFL, and this is no different.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
looking worse by the day, that's for sure

forum thoughts... would you rather see the season cancelled or have a neutered season with a large number of replacement players and scrubs?
normally i'm getting amped up for the season, i've already accepted that it isn't happening and really I haven't missed much.

Don't get me wrong, i want to see the new draft picks and how they do, I want to see football, but I just don't think it's going to happen. The narrative has to change for that to happen and "they" won't let it. There can be no voice of dissent, differing opinion, nothing because you will be squashed.

as soon as the positive cases start mounting, and they will, they will be shut down. The mob will demand it.

I think the only reason schools, sports, NFL etc are still talked about is to give a sense that some "normalcy" might return to the masses. The NFL can't exist in a bubble and it is not anything like baseball. and I don't think they're going to finish their seasons either.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we're good still. EQSTB is still gonna be back. The only concern is we may HAVE TO keep MVS again!

The receiving corps lacked talent before Funchess decided to opt out of this season. It's a group in dire need of an upgrade now.

I think we are going to see more and more of this in the next few weeks.

Players only have until Friday to opt out of this season.

I prefer to have the NFL play a season even with the talent level possible being watered down because of COVID-19. That's as long as it's safe to play the games.

If Rodgers ops out, other big names will follow and no 2020 season, I was optimistic but the odds are getting slim.

I highly doubt Rodgers has even spent a minute thinking about opting out of this season.

Do we save that cap? How much was he making?

The Packers will save $1.2 million of cap space for this season by Funchess opting out. He will still count $1.05 million towards it in 2020 based on his signing and workout bonuses.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of the available free agents IF Gute and Co would decide to dabble:

Kelvin Benjamin is a more unproven, older version to some than Funchess. Would bolster the group, but by how much could sadly be very very little to some. However, not the worst option out there as well.

Josh Gordon - We all know his history, and his ability. In a more isolated type of a season, I think this is the best if any season to kick his tires and see what can be done. He is a bigger upgrade than Benjamin for sure...and some could make a valid argument more than Funchess was.

Taylor Gabriel - Perhaps a mix of the top two guys, albeit an entirely different and small WR type. Has proven if he sees a whole season he can easily be a 500 yd - 40 Rec - 3 TD type of a guy for a team.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am 100% fine with any player opting out for health concerns. Peoples' lives are at stake, both players and their families. I worked with more than a dozen people on the east coast that passed away due to Covid-19. At least one of them was a young and healthy person but she did have a family history of asthma. If a player is concerned they should opt out.

The NFL owners want the season for financial reasons. Fans want it because we are bored. Players want it for a mix of reasons, mostly for the paycheck and because they have a small window to be athletically elite. I would love nothing more than to see football happen but it's not likely that they will finish the season without a lot of people getting sick. I don't think that the face shields they've designed will do the job. Players and staff from teams are already getting sick and they've barely started.

H

HardRightEdge

I think we are going to see more and more of this in the next few weeks.
Players only have until Friday to opt out of this season.
I'm reading that the deadline for a player to opt out is 7 days following the signing of the side letter modifications to the CBA. As of yesterday evening it was reported that the signing had not yet happened.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/28/opt-out-deadline-will-be-august-4-at-the-earliest/

If it got signed last night, the deadline would be August 4th. If signed today, it would be August 5th.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest effect, people will continue to blame Rodgers for not being better at throwing to bad receivers (Adams excepted). The Packers passing game is going to be pretty predictable if MVS, EQB, or Sternberger don't make significant strides this year.

I might have more hope if MLF showed he was willing to be inventive and let Jones play receiver more often (he was amazing catching the ball when Adams was out) but last year robbed me of that hope.

Members online

Latest posts