Devin Funchess has opted out of the 2020 season

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering this is already the abnormal year of the century and will probably have to wait until next year to get everything back to a point where mass gatherings can happen, I've already made my alternative plans should no nfl season happen.

Now ... Having said that, if there is still going to be football, sorry but Gute does not get a pass for this. There's always a chance that something could happen to your one FA signing even if it was a non covid19 year. Which is why the draft needed to include a couple WRs as well just in case.

Gute will avoid criticism because if football is played, the no preseason and abbreviated training camp schedule will mean bad football particularly on offense anyway. Nonetheless going forward, this philosophy will have to change and change quickly with Rodgers's window closing.

H

HardRightEdge

I give the 2020 season a 4% chance of happening and that's because i'm in a good mood.
I think the odds are better than that but if I were a bookie I'd put the proposition at "off".

First of all, since this is an opt-out thread, I would consider that a non-factor. Except for New England, the instances are isolated and camps have opened. It would stand to reason if you were going to opt out you'd do it before showing up. Maybe a few show up and then get cold feet in the next week before the opt out deadline passes.

The agreement that has been reached between the NFL and NFLPA suggest that every effort will be made to have the show goes on. No number of out outs would stop the train from rolling on.

Further, if a dozen players on one team tested positive as with the Marlins, I wouldn't be so sure the upcoming game would be cancelled. All other things being equal, I'd say they'd play. That "temporary IR" for players testing positive and the expansion of the practice squad to 16 players wasn't done for nothin'.

Unlike baseball which is largely a socially distanced game, and unlike basketball in a "bubble" (a smart move even if Florida isn't the optimal locale), football is face-to-face, lots of yelling (yelling is as good as coughing in communicating this thing), with tackling and practice psudo-tackling, along with the habit of this virus ripping through a population in close quarters, the potential for a false negative test sneaking in and decimating a roster is certainly possible.

But the operative term is "decimating". I don't believe a dozen will cross that threshold going into opening day.

Frankly, if 30 players got it some weeks before the season started, it would not surprise me if they suspended camp for for some days or a week, re-test everybody and scrub everything, and then get back at it with the expectation that most of the 30 would be back at in 14 days.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest effect, people will continue to blame Rodgers for not being better at throwing to bad receivers (Adams excepted). The Packers passing game is going to be pretty predictable if MVS, EQB, or Sternberger don't make significant strides this year.

I might have more hope if MLF showed he was willing to be inventive and let Jones play receiver more often (he was amazing catching the ball when Adams was out) but last year robbed me of that hope.

Not to get too sidetracked on the thread, but this is one thing that if I was the OC would intrigue me about adding Dillon. Imagine breaking the huddle with Dillon and Jones in, Stern and Lewis and Adams as well.

Two TE set, two backs and one of the best WRs split out. We could use Dillon and his size as a lead "FB" blocker down your throat, run counters either way, sweep out and pull, split Jones out..and still run Dillon while distracted with Adams and Jones....just something that I cannot help but think could wreck a defense.

All that is not to down play Jamaal Williams and his abilities, but IF Dillon lives up to his measurables and athleticism AND (big if) IF it all translates he arguably tests a defense from many more angles.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this much, if ANYONE is happy about ALL of this it is two guys named MVS and Kumerow.

Given limited time in camp, zero preseason....being familiar and part of a system/or team for a few years vs. brand new could be HUGE. Now a guy clearly ahead of them (Funchess) is gone, and the low totem pole threat of Begelton is brand new to the team....

Yeah, those two should be smiling.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest effect, people will continue to blame Rodgers for not being better at throwing to bad receivers (Adams excepted). The Packers passing game is going to be pretty predictable if MVS, EQB, or Sternberger don't make significant strides this year.

I might have more hope if MLF showed he was willing to be inventive and let Jones play receiver more often (he was amazing catching the ball when Adams was out) but last year robbed me of that hope.

Part number one is definitely true, although as vocal as they are, I still think the blame it all on Rodgers crowd is a small minority of the fanbase as a whole.

Second part ... Well I think there definitely is something to the idea of getting Jones on the edge or lining up in a WR spot sometimes. But his natural fit is still a RB, and I'm not willing to try a reverse Ty Montgomery experiment on him considering how that turned out.

I'll say this much, if ANYONE is happy about ALL of this it is two guys named MVS and Kumerow.

Given limited time in camp, zero preseason....being familiar and part of a system/or team for a few years vs. brand new could be HUGE. Now a guy clearly ahead of them (Funchess) is gone, and the low totem pole threat of Begelton is brand new to the team....

Yeah, those two should be smiling.

They'd better not be too giddy just yet unless they really step it up because anything equivalent to last year or less in production, and they'll both be off the team in 2021.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Part number one is definitely true, although as vocal as they are, I still think the blame it all on Rodgers crowd is a small minority of the fanbase as a whole.

Second part ... Well I think there definitely is something to the idea of getting Jones on the edge or lining up in a WR spot sometimes. But his natural fit is still a RB, and I'm not willing to try a reverse Ty Montgomery experiment on him considering how that turned out.

Didn't explain it well when discussing Jones; I didn't mean he would line up at receiver, just that he would be targeted more often in the passing game. Whether he lines up in the backfield and runs routes from there, shifts to the slot before the snap, or just lines up at WR makes no difference to me. I just want to see MLF utilize Jones in the passing game more often when Adams is also on the field.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we are going to see more and more of this in the next few weeks. Seeing what is going in in Major League Baseball, I am not that optimistic of there being a 2020 NFL season.

Keep an eye on this growing list of players who have decided to take control of their own fate and opt out.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...g-among-players-who-will-pass-on-2020-season/

Seems mostly to just be growing on one team -- The Patriots. Now why it's mostly over there and hasn't caught on other teams too much yet, I don't know. Maybe it's just low expectations that club has this year now that the GOAT is gone.

Now ... I think most of us, myself included have probably already adjusted our expectations to figuring the 2020 season is a no go with the remote hope that somehow it does happen. Mostly because of what's happened in the sports world and with COVID-19 as a whole.

But I was looking at this list and it doesn't seem like nfl players are just opting out in droves, and I don't see too many big names there either. The season has a high likelihood of being cancelled, but if it is, I think it will be because league officials and their health experts explored all their options and determined the game couldn't be safely played as planned, as opposed to a majority of players just said "nope, I'm not playing."

H

HardRightEdge

Not to get too sidetracked on the thread, but this is one thing that if I was the OC would intrigue me about adding Dillon. Imagine breaking the huddle with Dillon and Jones in, Stern and Lewis and Adams as well.
To do what, exactly? Run the ball out of two back, single wide set? You might as well just hold up a sign that says, "pack the box". Split Adams and Jones with Sternberger in the slot? Jones in the slot with Sternberger out wide? Neither Jones nor Sternberger have the route running chops to play wide.

I floated the idea of Jones out of the slot some months ago but have come to have second thoughts. If you look at his big plays last year, from the slot or wide, he's beating linebackers.

Now, Jones is probably the best route runner out of the slot on this roster except for those snaps where Adams moves inside. But if he's running those routes on a regular basis, anticipated with slot corner coverage, his productivity there may not be all that great while sacrificing his productivity as a runner, catching out of the backfield and running routes from motion where he can get isolated on those LBs. You'd have to expect Dillon to substantially replace that RB productivity vs. Jones in his usual spot and one of the WRs out of the slot to get to a net add. That's a big "if".

I wouldn't rule out trying it but I wouldn't rule in that it would work as a staple.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers ops out, other big names will follow and no 2020 season, I was optimistic but the odds are getting slim.

I agree. Although, I have a suspicion that Russell Wilson will be the first QB to opt out. But if a big name goes then a run will follow. Think I should get a refund for my fantasy leagues?

H

HardRightEdge

I agree. Although, I have a suspicion that Russell Wilson will be the first QB to opt out. But if a big name goes then a run will follow.
I stuggle to follow that logic. Last time I checked neither Wilson nor any other big name is going to pay these guys salaries.
Seems mostly to just be growing on one team -- The Patriots. Now why it's mostly over there and hasn't caught on other teams too much yet, I don't know. Maybe it's just low expectations that club has this year now that the GOAT is gone.
I can think of other teams with low expectations where players are not bailing. Losing is not very often a reason to forego a paycheck.

As of this morning's paper, seven teams have yet to have their Covid protocols approved by the league, New England being one of them. Perhaps Hoodie's proposed measures were so weak players are being scared off.

Or it could just be coincidence. I see where several of the opt outs are guys with families, particularly those with young children or pregnant wives or significant others.

I'm disinclined to study personal backgrounds or contract provisions so for the time being it is a matter of speculation.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Well if the big names opt out and the season is with the lesser names or replacements, just think of it like the strike season..

D

Deleted member 6794

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that's a bummer.

I didnt have high expectations for Funchess but I'd prefer to have him on the field over Kumerow.

It'll be interesting to see how the offense uses the WRs this year.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well that's a bummer.

I didnt have high expectations for Funchess but I'd prefer to have him on the field over Kumerow.

It'll be interesting to see how the offense uses the WRs this year.

So you only preferred him over a possible cut? Come on fellas, Funchess was walking into the year ahead of Lazard, now Lazard may have had something to say about that and by year's end be #2...but to think Funchess was around #5/#6 is just not the case.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you only preferred him over a possible cut? Come of fellas, Funchess was walking into the year ahead of Lazard, now Lazard may have had something to say about that and by year's end be #2...but to think Funchess was around #5/#6 is just not the case.
I don't know. It wasn't like there was a bidding war to get him.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know. It wasn't like there was a bidding war to get him.

Wouldn't argue there was, but also anyone looking in and at his record/history knows the ONLY WR on our roster clearly ahead of him was Adams, and Lazard is still unknown but was his only true threat at snaps at the beginning of the season.

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you only preferred him over a possible cut? Come on fellas, Funchess was walking into the year ahead of Lazard, now Lazard may have had something to say about that and by year's end be #2...but to think Funchess was around #5/#6 is just not the case.

I think you're vastly overestimating what Funchess was bringing to the table.

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you're vastly overestimating what Funchess was bringing to the table.

Just have to chime in and say that people heavily underestimate what Funchess brings, or would have brought, to the table. He isnt a flashy WR but at least he is a proven veteran and I rate this higher than every other WR except Adams.

Pete Bukowski mentioned this in one of his latest podcast : The Packers want to attack the middle of field more, did so last season and everything they did this offseason just confirms his suspicion. Funchess is the perfect target for this because he is a big bodied WR with a good catch radius. People always critisize Funchess with his "bad hands" and I always think to myself 2 have you seen the quality of QB play he had to endure" ? No offense to Cam but the man isnt really an accurrate passer. Rodgers was a bit off last season and that would have been a huge upgrade to Cam. Funchess hasnt been extremely productive in his career but he is nowhere near as bad as Packers fans make him out to be. He got a pretty good contract last season for a reason and that only failed cuz of his injury.

Outside Adams Packers now have Lazard, who looks pretty promising but needs to show that he can be consistent , MVS who has all teh talent in the world but cant deliver, EQ who is a wildcard after his injury but looked promising in his rookie season, Kumerow aka Janis 2.0 who gets hyped up for no particular reason and already is 27 or something and Begelton who delivered in Canada but is a big wildcard. Anyone saying that Funchess wouldnt have been WR 2 going into the season is delusional.

I am in no way saying that he is good #2 but he sure as hell is better than everyone except Adams . That doesnt mean that I dont see Lazard or EQ becoming better options but right now Packers dont have much at WR except unproven and inconsistent talents. Funchess is above that .

Mavster

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you're all correct about Funchess. I just don't see him as needle mover in any way.

I think he can be a solid depth piece though.

H

HardRightEdge

I hope you're all correct about Funchess. I just don't see him as needle mover in any way.

I had him behind Lazard on the perimenter. It takes three to tango given you're going to have a slot receiver on the field pretty regularly. Maybe the idea with Funchess in a reboot of last year's "big slot" approach. Anyway, the two spots after Adams were going to be competitive regardless. It's not like I would have penned him into the front three to start with.

I think the enthusiasm for Funchess in some quarters is colored by the uncertain prospects of anybody else on this roster emerging as consistently productive. Lazard finished strong; I looked it up once and I seem to recall now that he had 13 catches on 16 targets on third downs. That's money, but a limited sample.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Receivers switching to new teams generally take some time to get up to speed; I'm gonna guess that this year, with the limited amount of practice time available before the season begins would have lead to Funchess being third or fourth on the depth chart at outside receiver. It stinks because he would have been the second proven receiver on the roster (something that Gute should be ashamed of) but his most likely contribution would have been to allow Adams to play slot a little more often. I don't think Funchess would have provided much more upside at outside receiver this season than Lazard.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I take everything back, Packers just claimed John Lovett off waivers; the guy was a QB at Princeton and played FB/TE for the Chiefs next year. Packers are now set on offense! MLF's longing for his very own Kyle Juszczyk will be FULFILLED!!!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, Funchess definitiely won't have an impact this season.

Lazard finished strong; I looked it up once and I seem to recall now that he had 13 catches on 16 targets on third downs. That's money, but a limited sample.

One thing about Lazard that hardly gets talked about is that he put up half of his total receiving yards in three games against the Lions and Giants, both of whom had one of the worst secondaries in the league.

He mostly struggled against better units though.

Members online

Latest posts