David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. Not quite sure what the time table is on Taylor but I think its months before he would be ready. Didn't he basically tear his ACL too? They are saying Bahk might not even be back to start the 2021 season.

I did call the Packer Front office today and offered up my ACL if it would get Bahk back on the field sooner. They said "thanks, but we actually want him to be able to continue a football career".

ACL and IR for him as well. Might be good to go for the start of next season for Lane.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Turner prob goes to lt,

Handled it okay before when he was out with the chest/broken ribs

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nope. Not quite sure what the time table is on Taylor but I think its months before he would be ready. Didn't he basically tear his ACL too? They are saying Bahk might not even be back to start the 2021 season.

I did call the Packer Front office today and offered up my ACL if it would get Bahk back on the field sooner. They said "thanks, but we actually want him to be able to continue a football career".
While some players seem to be able to rehab and recover more quickly... An ACL injury used to be considered a year long recovery window... I certainly hope Back’s injury is not that bad, but if he essentially misses all of next year as well.... that 105 million dollars certainly looks like an Albatross.

JKramer64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wagner is off the injury report. Should be ready for Sunday. I would expect Turner to move to LT.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While some players seem to be able to rehab and recover more quickly... An ACL injury used to be considered a year long recovery window... I certainly hope Back’s injury is not that bad, but if he essentially misses all of next year as well.... that 105 million dollars certainly looks like an Albatross.

Agreed. I understand wanting to lock him up early, reward him for being the best LT in football, but yet this is always a possibility. Ever since these huge, guaranteed contracts came into existence, I have preferred seeing the Packers wait on the big resigns.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's usually considered a nine-month recovery. That would mean probably missed the first quarter of the season. The key will be how quickly can he get up to being back to Bak again or maybe we'll never see the Bak we're used to again.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's usually considered a nine-month recovery. That would mean probably missed the first quarter of the season. The key will be how quickly can he get up to being back to Bak again or maybe we'll never see the Bak we're used to again.
Bulaga have torn acl min nov? Then returned 1st game the next season. If baks is similar we are talking end start of October

D

Deleted member 6794

Lane Taylor recovered enough from his ACL to come off IR? Would he be eligible?

Taylor would be eligible to return as he was placed on injured reserve after the start of the season. With him being only three and a half months removed from suffering the injury I highly doubt there's any chance he's ready to go though.

I understand wanting to lock him up early, reward him for being the best LT in football, but yet this is always a possibility. Ever since these huge, guaranteed contracts came into existence, I have preferred seeing the Packers wait on the big resigns.

The Packers re-signed Bakhtiari with seven games left before he was set to become a free agent. I would hardly classify that move as too early.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The Packers re-signed Bakhtiari with seven games left before he was set to become a free agent. I would hardly classify that move as too early.

Actually, with 8 regular season games + playoffs still left to play on his old contract. ;)

We are going to have to disagree on this one. Again, this is just my philosophy on contracts. I would prefer to finish the current one before entering into the next one.

Have to wonder had that been the case with Bahk, what the new terms would be?

Would you have signed Jones to a new contract on 11/14?

Guaranteed contracts, especially for the amounts that are now being doled out on some of these contracts, are just one aspect of the NFL contract system that I do not like.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Guaranteed contracts, especially for the amounts that are now being doled out on some of these contracts, are just one aspect of the NFL contract system that I do not like.
Contracts like these I view as rewards for past performance in anticipation of similar future results with a bit of hedging. Sort of like investing in last years hot stock market areas in anticipation of similar future results, creating bubbles.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Contracts like these I view as rewards for past performance in anticipation of similar future results with a bit of hedging. Sort of like investing in last years hot stock market areas in anticipation of similar future results, creating bubbles.

Yup, I understand why teams do it, but as a fan I don't like it or agree with it. A friend asked me "would you rather see a player like Bahk get away because he felt the team didn't appreciate him enough to extend a new contract early?" My answer was, "if it takes 8 figures of guaranteed money from one side months ahead of time to prove "loyalty", I guess I would pass."

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari might be ready to come back next season after the bye week. Being that he hurt his knee in practice, maybe it isn't as bad as feared. Perhaps he'll recover enough to be a reliable RT, if he doesn't make a 100% recovery. In any case, the injury will certainly revamp their draft, unless Gute decides to draft another qb in the first round.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Being that he hurt his knee in practice, maybe it isn't as bad as feared.

I wish and hope that was the case, but I don't think it really matters if it happens in a game, the shower, down a flight of stairs, etc. it is what it is, a torn ACL. Sucks for sure. I was surprised to read that Bahk and Lane Taylor are the only 2 Packer starters that have suffered season ending injuries in the last 2 seasons.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, I understand why teams do it, but as a fan I don't like it or agree with it. A friend asked me "would you rather see a player like Bahk get away because he felt the team didn't appreciate him enough to extend a new contract early?" My answer was, "if it takes 8 figures of guaranteed money from one side months ahead of time to prove "loyalty", I guess I would pass."
Russ Ball generally keeps guaranteed bonus money to about 25-33% of the contract. He’s about the only one doing that though. I’m glad we have him doing the negotiating for us.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries sure bring out the BS on football teams. If Bakhtiari really is a great player playing at a HOF level, why in the hell do teams including the Packers all of a sudden think such a great player can be replaced? Cliches get tossed around like a football in practice about "stepping up" or "banding together" If Bakhtiari really is a HOF talent, then there is no way that he will be "replaced" without a big drop off in talent that translates to more sacks, hurries tfl etcc.. and fewer points per game. If Gute didn't think that, he wouldn't have signed him to such a fat contract.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Injuries sure bring out the BS on football teams. If Bakhtiari really is a great player playing at a HOF level, why in the hell do teams including the Packers all of a sudden think such a great player can be replaced? Cliches get tossed around like a football in practice about "stepping up" or "banding together" If Bakhtiari really is a HOF talent, then there is no way that he will be "replaced" without a big drop off in talent that translates to more sacks, hurries tfl etcc.. and fewer points per game. If Gute didn't think that, he wouldn't have signed him to such a fat contract.
Who exactly on the Packers is saying that Bahktiari can be replaced easily? I'd like quotes.

But regardless of that, the Packers gave him the money because he is undoubtedly a guy that is a future hall of fame type talent. You can basically put him on an island at the LT spot and not have to worry about anything going wrong the vast majority of the time. That opens up so many possibilities in the play book because you don't have to provide help on his side. You can use that player at a skill spot. And the value that it adds especially having an aging quarterback is reducing some of the punishment he takes to his blind spot. The Packers absolutely understand this, and felt that he was worth signing to the big contract.

But there are absolutely ways of working around not having a Bahktiari level player. A lot of this includes more emphasis on the short passing game, manipulating/moving the pocket more (which includes Rodgers being on the move more in bootleg type action), running more hurry up (though the Packers run almost none of this), run the ball more, adding a guy to the left side like Lewis to help negate the difference, etc.

Again...I'd be shocked if anyone associated with the Packers has said that Bakh's impact can easily be replaced. But games against the Texans, Vikings, and 49ers provide something of a roadmap on how a team goes about doing it.

The combination of Turner-Jenkins-Linsley-Patrick-Wagner played quite well against those opponents while Bakh was out of the lineup. And even in the 2nd half against the 49ers when Wagner went down, you saw versatility options when it changed to Jenkins-Runyan-Linsley-Patrick-Turner. Was it anything as good as what the Packers would be with #69? Nope. But the Packers still found a way to win a couple of games, and for the most part the offense also played pretty well against the Vikings, there were just very few possessions in that game.

I'm really not sure what you're having a hard time understanding, but the Packers aren't going to be a bunch of pissy little *****es about it and say we're doomed. They're still going to show up tomorrow, and they are still going to be a threat in the playoffs.

What I'm assuming you're talking about, is guys saying that they are confident in who the "next man up" will be. If that's the case, what else do you expect them to say? "Oh well now that we don't have Bakhtiari we have to rely on one of these sorry *** dudes to step up that never play"....lol

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Not a soul predicts they can proceed as if David was still there. Can they continue to succeed and have a prolific offense...maybe. Play calls, alignments and blocking calls can help whomever is there to minimize the impact of him gone.

No one is so ignorant to believe no drop is gonna happen at the LT specifically. Now whether we have a drop overall in offensive lethality is the crucial thing which MLF and others are hoping they can do for sure.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There is only one player on the Packer roster that if they lost, the season would end very quickly and no way around it. I don't want to, nor do I think I need to name that player for fear of jinxing things.

P.S. Despite Captain's signature line, that player isn't Mason Crosby.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Who in the packers said he was hof?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is only one player on the Packer roster that if they lost, the season would end very quickly and no way around it. I don't want to, nor do I think I need to name that player for fear of jinxing things.

P.S. Despite Captain's signature line, that player isn't Mason Crosby.
J.k. Scott ?

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who in the packers said he was hof?
The Packers just signed him to a contract as the highest paid o lineman in football that basically admits he is a HOF caliber player. No way do you put that much salary cap into him if you don't think he sn't playing at that level. The money is a bigger admission of what the Packers think of his abilities than any quote.

D

Deleted member 6794

We are going to have to disagree on this one. Again, this is just my philosophy on contracts. I would prefer to finish the current one before entering into the next one.

Have to wonder had that been the case with Bahk, what the new terms would be?

I'm absolutely fine with the Packers having extended Bakhtiari's deal with several games left before his contract was set up to expire.

It's unfortunate that he suffered an injury but that could have happened during offseason practices next year as well and the Packers would have found themselves in anm similar situation.

There's no doubt some risk is always involved by signing players to lucrative deals but that's a risk teams need to take to retain their core ones.

Would you have signed Jones to a new contract on 11/14?

No, but that's because I don't want the Packers to re-sign Jones at all.

I would definitely be in favor of them extending Adams anytime this offseason though.

Bakhtiari might be ready to come back next season after the bye week. Perhaps he'll recover enough to be a reliable RT, if he doesn't make a 100% recovery.

That depends on when the Packers will have their bye week in 2021. I don't see any reason Bakhtiari won't be able to return to left tackle fully healthy.

Russ Ball generally keeps guaranteed bonus money to about 25-33% of the contract. He’s about the only one doing that though. I’m glad we have him doing the negotiating for us.

Bakhtiari's new deal includes $61.5 million in guaranteed money or 66.85% of the total value of the extension.