David Bakhtiari - Offensive Tackle

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On the contrary, with AR, it would be hugely beneficial for him to do OTA reps since he's pretty much working with an entirely new WR group. Work on timing/routes, etc. with them.
except that you can't really work on timing when everyone is in shorts, with no pads, and the plays are being run at half-speed. ota snaps are meaningless.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now this is very interesting. You emphatically defend Aaron Rodgers basically saying that OTA’s are completely useless. Even siting, by name, a list of veterans that missed.

Then, when it comes to a guy recovering from injury, you want him out there for those same useless OTA’s??
Ok. I realize we differ on our methodology. I’m like scratching my head here.

Tell us.
Why risk re-injury for David in a useless drill for veterans? (Your interpretation not mine)
I made the comment a long time ago, OTA's are for new guys (to the team or the league) and guys coming back from injury. Not that A vet like BakhT should be out there in 1 on 1 pass drills and pushing it, but so the team and trainers can put him through some drills and see where he's at and if there is any more cause for concern.
They can also do this at any time so it doesn't matter a lot to me but probably easier to have all those guys and trainers and docs etc in one area at one time just for check ups.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I made the comment a long time ago, OTA's are for new guys (to the team or the league) and guys coming back from injury. Not that A vet like BakhT should be out there in 1 on 1 pass drills and pushing it, but so the team and trainers can put him through some drills and see where he's at and if there is any more cause for concern.
They can also do this at any time so it doesn't matter a lot to me but probably easier to have all those guys and trainers and docs etc in one area at one time just for check ups.

Agree which is why it is so awesome to see Cobb come and be there given the WR situation.

Reaction score
We both know that the Packers are like many teams. They proceed with caution when it comes to the long-term health of players. This was something I saw the other day, so we are obviously not the only folks talking about him. If Matt sais it’s been part of a long term plan? he’s not going to change it to simply appease our curiosity. Bak is an All-Pro veteran coming off a serious injury. They need not rush him back and I’m not sure why that’s such a big surprise in here?

Matt LaFleur says the plan all along has been to sit David Bakhtiari (knee) during OTAs to make sure he's physically ready for training camp.

— Zach Kruse (@zachkruse2) May 31, 2022

Matt LaFleur on David Bakhtiari:
"Our plan all along was to hold him from this and get strong and hopefully be ready to go for training camp." pic.twitter.com/7O19l1l3Nn

— Big B (@bigpackers4x)
May 31, 2022

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
With AR, he's not coming back from an injury and doesn't need the OTA reps judging from his last 2 seasons. With Bakhtiari, it would be beneficial for him to shake the rust off and test his knee given that he has only played 28 snaps in the past 17 months. Sitting out OTA's just provides more evidence that he never healed from his injury. MLF didn't exactly sound too confident in describing Bak's situation. I hope I'm wrong, but it looks like time is not on his side when that's what they are relying on for him to get back in the lineup.
2021 1st game rating of 36.8 I think he missed ota

maybe he needs more than just training camp to get ready?

D

Deleted member 6794

Now this is very interesting. You emphatically defend Aaron Rodgers basically saying that OTA’s are completely useless. Even siting, by name, a list of veterans that missed.

Then, when it comes to a guy recovering from injury, you want him out there for those same useless OTA’s??
Ok. I realize we differ on our methodology. I’m like scratching my head here.

Tell us.
Why risk re-injury for David in a useless drill for veterans? (Your interpretation not mine)

I don't care if Bakhtiari is participating in OTA drills. I'm concerned he isn't healthy enough to do so though.

some people - myself included - might have forgotten that he had a second surgery late in the year.
second surgery

Bakhtiari having had an arthroscopic procedure back in November shouldn't hold him out of practice six months later.

We both know that the Packers are like many teams. They proceed with caution when it comes to the long-term health of players. This was something I saw the other day, so we are obviously not the only folks talking about him. If Matt sais it’s been part of a long term plan? he’s not going to change it to simply appease our curiosity. Bak is an All-Pro veteran coming off a serious injury. They need not rush him back and I’m not sure why that’s such a big surprise in here?

Matt LaFleur says the plan all along has been to sit David Bakhtiari (knee) during OTAs to make sure he's physically ready for training camp.

— Zach Kruse (@zachkruse2) May 31, 2022

Matt LaFleur on David Bakhtiari:
"Our plan all along was to hold him from this and get strong and hopefully be ready to go for training camp." pic.twitter.com/7O19l1l3Nn

— Big B (@bigpackers4x)
May 31, 2022

I'm concerned because MLF never mentioned anything about that being the plan with Bakhtiari before he was forced to answer the question during OTAs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the part that bothers me. Hope is not a game plan.
I caught that too and thought it was a peculiar way of saying things. For a guy nobody is worried about they’re hoping he’s ready for training camp over a year and a half after an injury?

Maybe he was just filling space with words and chose poorly, or maybe he really isn’t ready to have a practice yet. Which I don’t think is completely necessary for a vet like Bahk, but not being physically able to yet would be concerning.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are holding Bakhtiari out and MLF saying he hopes Bakhtiari is back for training camp more consistent with a player with an unhealed injury or with somebody who's ready to go and sitting out OTA's because they are a veteran? So far, MFL's words and their actions suggest that Bakhtiari's knee surgery or rehab or both were botched and he is still injured 17 months after surgery. Where there's smoke there's usually fire.

Reaction score
I don't care if Bakhtiari is participating in OTA drills. I'm concerned he isn't healthy enough to do so though.
Maybe he isn’t. Maybe he is.
But do you know that for fact that Bak isn’t healthy?
I’m thinking no news is good news.
I'm concerned because MLF never mentioned anything about that being the plan with Bakhtiari before he was forced to answer the question during OTAs.
Matt hadn’t freely offered anything regarding injury about anyone that’s injured. That’s not really a story as much as it is standard protocol. Correct me if I’m wrong. It would be an anomaly if Matt offered anything at all outside specific questions from the press? What purpose would it serve to arbitrarily divulge details of someone’s medical status without being asked?
So far, MFL's words and their actions suggest that Bakhtiari's knee surgery or rehab or both were botched and he is still injured 17 months after surgery.
I watched Matts’ responses to specific questions and I didn’t get that impression all.

Listen, if the guy is hurt, we will know shortly. Don’t speak it into existence! :eek:

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe he isn’t. Maybe he is.
But do you know that for fact that Bak isn’t healthy?

Bakhtiari being in the rehab group instead of on the field strongly indicates he's not healthy enough to patricipate in drills.

Matt hadn’t freely offered anything regarding injury about anyone that’s injured. That’s not really a story as much as it is standard protocol. Correct me if I’m wrong. It would be an anomaly if Matt offered anything at all outside specific questions from the press? What purpose would it serve to arbitrarily divulge details of someone’s medical status without being asked?

Once again, the Packers waiting until the second week of OTAs to announce that their plan was to sit out Bakhtiari until training camp all along has me worried they're not telling thw truth.

I might be wrong about it but that's my gut feeling.

Reaction score
Bakhtiari being in the rehab group instead of on the field strongly indicates he's not healthy enough to patricipate in drills.

Once again, the Packers waiting until the second week of OTAs to announce that their plan was to sit out Bakhtiari until training camp all along has me worried they're not telling thw truth.

I might be wrong about it but that's my gut feeling.
I think the staff is just trying to slow roll him into this season and not stress his recovery. I think they’ll ramp him up gradual, right up until week 1.

If we want to worry, we should definitely do that if he’s not suited up week 1 (or there’s no sightings of him in pads beforehand etc..)

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm bothered because we keep talking about him being in recovery. Shouldn't he be past that? Did he work out in the off season like he should have been doing? Or was he just kicking back and waiting for the season to start? He sure doesn't need the money anymore.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
This needs to be re read

He was very honest in this

Bakhtiari detailed his frustration with the aftermath of the torn ACL suffered last January that required additional surgery this season. But the 30-year-old said he doesn't have any long-term concerns about the knee.
"No. The hurdle you want to get over is having a full recovery from an ACL," he told Nagler. "I know my ACL is good. My meniscus is good, they cut out like 10-15 percent of it. It's just my knee needing rest. Structurally it's good. Just need to take this time off."

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This needs to be re read

He was very honest in this

Bakhtiari detailed his frustration with the aftermath of the torn ACL suffered last January that required additional surgery this season. But the 30-year-old said he doesn't have any long-term concerns about the knee.
"No. The hurdle you want to get over is having a full recovery from an ACL," he told Nagler. "I know my ACL is good. My meniscus is good, they cut out like 10-15 percent of it. It's just my knee needing rest. Structurally it's good. Just need to take this time off."
So they removed 10 to 15% of his meniscus. For us weekend warriors, that's not a big deal. For a 300 plus lb pro athlete, that may be a different story. No part of the meniscus can be replaced and it doesn't grow back. And it's the only cushion between the upper and lower leg bones.

They may be holding him out of OTAs because he's a veteran and a lot of vets don't participate. But then why not say that before OTAs? I don't know what's going on with Bakh. It just has a kind of ominous sound about it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So they removed 10 to 15% of his meniscus. For us weekend warriors, that's not a big deal. For a 300 plus lb pro athlete, that may be a different story. No part of the meniscus can be replaced and it doesn't grow back. And it's the only cushion between the upper and lower leg bones.

They may be holding him out of OTAs because he's a veteran and a lot of vets don't participate. But then why not say that before OTAs? I don't know what's going on with Bakh. It just has a kind of ominous sound about it.
It does all sound very odd. I am thinking he doesnt need to do anything in public view.

I wonder if inside the walls he is doing and getting special treatment.

But if some players dont have to attend then why does he had to do any type of drills? And why are people up on arms about him at ota?

At least he showed up

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the staff is just trying to slow roll him into this season and not stress his recovery. I think they’ll ramp him up gradual, right up until week 1.

If we want to worry, we should definitely do that if he’s not suited up week 1 (or there’s no sightings of him in pads beforehand etc..)

I don't want to worry but with Bakhtiari not participating in OTAs I'm concerned about his knee until he's able to get on the field at the start of training camp.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does all sound very odd. I am thinking he doesnt need to do anything in public view.

I wonder if inside the walls he is doing and getting special treatment.

But if some players dont have to attend then why does he had to do any type of drills? And why are people up on arms about him at ota?

At least he showed up
Just the fact that he showed up for OTAs is optimistic. As far as practicing, we've all heard about guys getting seriously hurt at OTAs. And you're right, they may be working him inside just to avoid the press. I'm sure he's on a light workout and may be doing more rehabbing and strengthening than simulating plays.

I don't care how they do it as long as he's ready to go in September.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bakhtiari showed up and then was held out of action. The reason being is he isn't fully recovered. That much was said. Its worrying that 17 months hasn't been enough time. He had tremendous swelling and fluid on the knee in January, after one year of recovery. Perhaps he's just a slow healer. The other alternative is that he suffered a career ending injury. Hope not, but with each passing month, the Packers better have a good plan B at the tackle position. Maybe Bakhtiari's situation will prove that they were too eager to dump Turner at RT and could potentially need to replace both starting tackle spots at once. What it shows is just how devastated the Packers were by injuries in 2021, in that the 2022 season is jeopardized as well if Bakhtiari, Jenkins and Tonyan don't come back soon, ready to play at a high level.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not read or hear this said directly as black and white. Link?
It wasn't said in black and white, but I think the writing tends to lean that way. They waited until the last possible moment to activate him despite all the glowing stories about his fast healing and good progress.
But he wasn't ever able to make it thru practices even and the one test he got, ended it for him because of knee aggravation. Now he looked really good despite all that time off and stepping right in and looked the part of an all pro LT.

Him not practicing now doesn't concern me from a team or player standpoint. It's a long season and I know if he's physically able to play, he'll be one of the best even if he doesn't practice until week 1.

BUT, I'd feel better about a report that said he's being held out of team drills, but has been doing individual workouts and everything is looking strong. Vs the "We're holding him out and hopefully he's ready to go for training camp" story we got.

Members online

Latest posts