Clay Matthews - as Non Starter/Depth option

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute said:
"Clay’s a great player and he can play for any team in this league. So, if that comes, he will help somebody if it’s not us."

Gute's words seem we are not likely to bring him back, unless no one else wants him and we may give him a team friendly deal.

Obviously the Smiths are a upgrade, but Clay did good in 2017 (7.5 sacks) before regressing in 2018.

Could he be the best depth option available in the market?

Would you want him back in team friendly deal? Who else?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If clay comes back I think it is as an ilb. I don't love the option but that is what i have read

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rams are interested . He would prob go there
Oh Sweet Merciful Jesus. The rich keeps on getting richer if he goes there. He can still create pressure. That would be a solid pick up for them if they get him.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh Sweet Merciful Jesus. The rich keeps on getting richer if he goes there. He can still create pressure. That would be a solid pick up for them if they get him.
I don't think Clay is that big of a treasure at this point. I really sense some homer bias, imo you hold all our veteran castoffs in too high esteem.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Clay is that big of a treasure at this point. I really sense some homer bias, imo you hold all our veteran castoffs in too high esteem.
As I mentioned before Clay's best days may be behind him, but the dude can still get to the QB, especially when the focus won't be entirely on him. Can you imagine him with Aaron Donald?

It's not that I want to hold on to veterans it's simply because I think those veterans are better options than what we have currently. I didn't make a fuss in regards to losing Clay Matthews. Nor did I voice trying to keep him. Personally it were me, I would've traded him years ago.

Reaction score
If the Rams get Clay that will allow Clay to bull rush 10 yards past the QB allowing AR to have an open running lane down the field where Clay used to be.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I mentioned before Clay's best days may be behind him, but the dude can still get to the QB, especially when the focus won't be entirely on him. Can you imagine him with Aaron Donald?

It's not that I want to hold on to veterans it's simply because I think those veterans are better options than what we have currently. I didn't make a fuss in regards to losing Clay Matthews. Nor did I voice trying to keep him. Personally it were me, I would've traded him years ago.
While Clay can definitely still produce, I doubt he will significantly improve any roster. But maybe you're right and he can get 8 sacks behind Donald.

Personally I'd be fine with bringing back Clay since he can also take reps at ILB, but I'm sure that some team will offer him more than I would be comfortable with giving him. So I guess I'm not fine with bringing him back:confused:

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With other players to take the focus off, Clay still has enough left in tank to make a meaningful contribution.

I'd take him back gladly and he also provide depth in multiple positions, familiar with defence etc. Could be a swansong for him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With other players to take the focus off, Clay still has enough left in tank to make a meaningful contribution.

I'd take him back gladly and he also provide depth in multiple positions, familiar with defence etc. Could be a swansong for him.

He would be nice depth since he can play outside or inside but he would have to accept the part time role and the equivalent reduced salary. I'm not sure he would be willing to do either.

Obviously there would be a lot of players I would like to have "At the right price" and sometimes it becomes annoying just reading that phrase when it gets applied to just about every player that comes along. In a lot of cases though it a matter of "it couldn't hurt" in the Clay's case though I honestly think it could help.

I really don't think he will be back though and that is not going to break my heart either.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's always about money, but I think Clay offers enough to warrant bringing back. Not at 6 or 7 million per year, but he still has some football left.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the right price I would keep him. I think he is a pass rush only player and with our new additions would be helpful. But only at the right price. He still has some worth.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be great if we could keep him at a home town discount, as a player he's strongly identified with the Packers.
But assuming some other team offers him more money, how much do you think he would/will get as a free agent?

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers most likely don't have enough cap space to re-sign Matthews without releasing another player. With the team having addressed edge rusher I don't consider it probable that will be back.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If his name was "Homer Formby", Packer fans wouldn't even be thinking about this guy. Gute has addressed the need at EDGE, Packers don't have much money left, Packers still have needs to address at other positions......Homer is going elsewhere, for more money than I would be willing to pay him, given our situation.

All those wanting to resign him to play ILB, I think you are too attached to the name. We don't have the luxury of signing guys to play a position they will probably only be average at.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of callous l know. But I doubt we could trade him. He is under contract isn't he? Tough business.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How does someone writing for a website like "Total Packers" get their information so wrong? No wonder some fans get confused on the details.

https://totalpackers.com/2019/03/clay-matthews-departure/

"OLB Clay Matthews and Nick Perry seemingly were in identical straits when the free agency stampede approached. Each had been vastly overpaid compared to their work product in 2018, and each’s long-term contract was up.......Perry was released on March 12. Clay wasn’t. What should we make of this?"

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does someone writing for a website like "Total Packers" get their information so wrong? No wonder some fans get confused on the details.

https://totalpackers.com/2019/03/clay-matthews-departure/

"OLB Clay Matthews and Nick Perry seemingly were in identical straits when the free agency stampede approached. Each had been vastly overpaid compared to their work product in 2018, and each’s long-term contract was up.......Perry was released on March 12. Clay wasn’t. What should we make of this?"
Being good or even proficient is not a requirement for most jobs these days regardless of what it is people do for a living

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For once, Mondio and I agree

You always want people to overdeliver these days

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As Captain Wimm can attest, Matthews wasn't all that in his brief stint as an ILB. How many ILB's have ever gone 2 consecutive games without recording a single tackle? Clay did it. Want an ILB? Several really good ones in the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For once, Mondio and I agree

You always want people to overdeliver these days

Over deliver? I would settle for delivering close to what is expected. ;)

Over delivering is a bonus you don't see too often in life, unless you are an OB-GYN.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If his name was "Homer Formby", Packer fans wouldn't even be thinking about this guy. Gute has addressed the need at EDGE, Packers don't have much money left, Packers still have needs to address at other positions......Homer is going elsewhere, for more money than I would be willing to pay him, given our situation.

All those wanting to resign him to play ILB, I think you are too attached to the name. We don't have the luxury of signing guys to play a position they will probably only be average at.

I don't know about that. If we traded back up into the first round in 2009 and drafted a guy named Homer Formby and he gave us the same career that Clay has given us I don't think his name would have made a difference.:D

In fact I am guessing Homer Formby would have maintained his career with a bit more polish.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would keep him as a situational/ breather player. That's what he is at this point, and maybe it would work great for him. That's contingent on a very team friendly contract.

He is older, and it showed the last few season that he was taking plays off, possible we have just wore his *** out as an every down lb expected to be 110% all game from multiple spots.

If he can be had for 15-20 plays a game, as a sheer pass rusher, maybe he's got enough left to be impactful.

All that being said, I think he's gone.