Clay Matthews - as Non Starter/Depth option

Reaction score
I highly doubt Clay takes a team friendly deal out of some loyalty.
Think about that. If we were personally offered a 1 yr 4M deal fully guaranteed etc.. and at the same time the Rams (where we live) offered us a 2yr/$17M 50% guaranteed contract which would we take? I’m sorry but there’s next to zero loyalty after what’s happened in this league and a half a dozen recent players getting put out to pasture.
I don’t blame any player one bit for leaving for even 1M more guaranteed.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would keep him as a situational/ breather player. That's what he is at this point, and maybe it would work great for him. That's contingent on a very team friendly contract.

He is older, and it showed the last few season that he was taking plays off, possible we have just wore his *** out as an every down lb expected to be 110% all game from multiple spots.

If he can be had for 15-20 plays a game, as a sheer pass rusher, maybe he's got enough left to be impactful.

All that being said, I think he's gone.

My gut, when he finally signs and we see what he is getting paid by some other team besides the Packers, he wouldn't have been affordable for the Packers, as a situational player.

I also wouldn't be shocked if Clay retired.

D

Deleted member 6794

I highly doubt Clay takes a team friendly deal out of some loyalty.
Think about that. If we were personally offered a 1 yr 4M deal fully guaranteed etc.. and at the same time the Rams (where we live) offered us a 2yr/$17M 50% guaranteed contract which would we take?

I highly doubt any team offers Matthews a contract like that.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if he signed with the Rams. He might be happier back in his home turf of LA. It will all depend upon the money. The only way he comes back to GB is if he doesn't get a better offer elsewhere.

Reaction score
I highly doubt any team offers Matthews a contract like that.
You said something similar about Landon Collins when I said "I would be out" on Landon for anything North of 13M+.
He just signed for 6yrs/84M with 53% guaranteed. Had Landon signed a shorter contract? I believe it would've been in the 15M+ range.

While I agree that the money getting thrown around in this league in 2019 for an Edge position is silly, it is 100% happening

D

Deleted member 6794

You said something similar about Landon Collins when I said "I would be out" on Landon for anything North of 13M+.
He just signed for 6yrs/84M with 53% guaranteed. Had Landon signed a shorter contract? I believe it would've been in the 15M+ range.

While I agree that the money getting thrown around in this league in 2019 for an Edge position is silly, it is 100% happening

There are a lot of teams overpaying for free agents but I still don't believe Matthews will be offered a contract like that.

Reaction score
Thank You for the memories Clay!
You came out like Super Strength Greased Lightning Cleaner and now you are the leagues best version of cleaning with White Distilled Vinegar. Your new, organic cleaning complexion will fit right in over there in California :tup:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Didn't take him long to change his Twitter image.....2 year deal.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rodgers sees the news that both Cobb and Clay signed elsewhere today.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts