Camp Battles

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the draft is over I think we need one if these. More players can be added with post draft FA signings but untill then it's safe to say 95% of this roster is filled with guys with us today.

So where do you view as the most interesting camp battles being?

The CB position is the easy one as we will all be watching to see who rises to the top.

Post draft I think RB takes the runner up spot for intrigue. Going to be a battle royale for this RB roster spots now

Also thinking this will be the last year poster boy Janis is with us through a training camp now

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
D-Line and OLB. Adams supplants somebody, don't know who yet. I don't think Daniels goes, but of the other interior DL it's hard to say who stays and goes. My question is this if Biegel comes in and blows up training camp even out playing Clay do you keep Clay with the big cap number, or do you try to trade him for picks next year? I'd bet we could get a 1 and a 2 for him. Again, if Biegel falls on his *** then we don't make this trade. RB is intriguing as well because we have so many unproven players at the spot. Don't sleep on the WR corps too Dupre will oust a vet this year.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If Matthews is getting beat out by a 4th round rookie, how in the world are we getting anyone to give us anything for him? Who would take his contract for nothing if he's that bad? A 1 and a 2?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
D-Line and OLB. Adams supplants somebody, don't know who yet. I don't think Daniels goes, but of the other interior DL it's hard to say who stays and goes. My question is this if Biegel comes in and blows up training camp even out playing Clay do you keep Clay with the big cap number, or do you try to trade him for picks next year? I'd bet we could get a 1 and a 2 for him. Again, if Biegel falls on his *** then we don't make this trade. RB is intriguing as well because we have so many unproven players at the spot. Don't sleep on the WR corps too Dupre will oust a vet this year.
Who is going to give up a 1st and 2nd round pick for a guy that got beat out in training camp?

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is going to give up a 1st and 2nd round pick for a guy that got beat out in training camp?

This lol. Clay is probably worthy a 4th or 5th or something at this point. Even if he had a good year this year, he wouldn't sniff 1st or 2nd round value.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone would, all Ted has to do is ask. But he's usually too lazy, sleeping, being stubborn, believing in his own picks, stroking his ego, to rigid in his plan, has no plan, is overreacting because he is reactionary by nature, is not reacting fast enough, or he just refuses to pick up the phone and ask.

What I can guarantee is that IF he was beat out by a 4th round rookie, and IF Clay could not be traded, it would have nothing to do with a double digit salary that comes with him, declining production and injury concerns.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So from what I'm reading, people want the Packers to win the Super Bowl with Nick Perry and Kyler Fackrell rushing the passer? I get Clay has had a down year or two, but getting rid of him at this point is just crazy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another down year and I can easily see him cut, and even though his production has not matched salary, this isn't the year to cut him. And nobody is trading for him

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Mathews is going to impress us all this year. He won't be the offenses top priority to stop. With a deep dline, and Perry opposite, he will get a lot more open looks.

Also, I think we are judging him too much on last year's play. He was broken. His shoulder was toast. He avoided contact ... similar to my beliefs on Randall and Rollins. We will see the guys who impressed us before. not the shadows we seen at the end of 2016.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of the battles will be for backup spots.

1. Who backs up ty? Ty will start.
2. Who is the back up guard/c? Can someone ease beat barclay
3. Who backs up clay and Perry? Because that guy will likely start a few games since Clay's hamstring will act up again.
4. Who is the number 5 wr? I assume Allison is 4 but who gets the last spot or 2
5. What does the dt rotation look like? Where are Lowry, adams, and francois? Does gioun play for us this year

Starting spot battles will be at cb. One on the dine and then opposite Ryan at ilb.

Bahk, Taylor, linsley, Evans, bulaga
Rodgers
Ty and rip
Nelson Cobb Adams Allison
Bennett Kendricks rodgers

Clark daniels
Clay and Perry.
Ryan Thomas marinez
CB is anyone's guess
Dix burnett

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Camp battles.
Guion or Francois starts at nose. (Solid rotation.

Besides House, King (my predicted starters outside by week 6).
We have Randall, Rollins, Gunter, Jones, Burnett. Who takes Hyde's spot at nickel? I say Burnett, because we have Jones and Brice who could easily play safety , allowing Burnett to get in the mix at nickel imo. Be did well there at end of last year. Brice looked good too. Until both got injured too. Lol

Dline depth. Fackrell, Ringo, rookie Adams is an unknown. I feel like Guion/Francois is a great nose rotation. Daniels and Clark are legit starters at de. But who rotates with them? Fackrell and Ringo have shown flashes. Adams is an unknown. Undrafted guys surely in the mix.

Between Geronimo, Davis, Janis, and the two rookie wrs Yancy and dupree. That's 5 going for 2-3 spots? Jordy/Adams/cobb/bennett/Montgomery at skill positions?!?! Wow.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This lol. Clay is probably worthy a 4th or 5th or something at this point. Even if he had a good year this year, he wouldn't sniff 1st or 2nd round value.
Agree. By definition, if Clay is beat out by a 4th round level talent, his value would be less than that. Now considering he is expensive and on the decline, you have to drop a few more rounds. 7th round or worse. I don't think you will find a trade partner, even for a 7th.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My wayyy too early 53 prediction.

QBs (2) - Aaron Rodgers, Brett Hundley

RBs (5) - Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Ripkowski, Christine Michael, Davante Mays

WRs (7) - Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Trevor Davis, DeAngelo Yancey, Jeff Janis, Malachi Dupre

TEs (3) - Martellus Bennett, Lance Kendricks, Richard Rodgers

OL (8) - David Bakhtiar, Lane Taylor, Corey Linsley, Jahri Evans, Brian Bulaga, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy, Kofi Amichia

Defense

DL (6) - Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Montravius Adams, Ricky Jean-Francois,Christian Ringo.

OLB (5) - Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Jayrone Elliot, Kyler Fackrell, Vince Biegel

ILB (3) - Jake Ryan, Blake Martinez, Joe Thomas

CB (6) - Kevin King, Demarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, Davon house, Ladarius Gunter, Josh Hawkins

S (4) - Haha Clinton-Dix, Morgan Burnett, Kentrell Brice, Josh Jones

Special Teams All (3) - Mason Crosby, Jacob Schum, Derek Hart.

Leaves 1 spot for a surprise UDFA

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score

RBs (5) - Ty Montgomery, Joe Williams, Aaron Ripkowski, Christine Michael, Davante Mays

WRs (7) - Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Trevor Davis, DeAngelo Yancey, Jeff Janis, Malachi Dupre

OL (8) - David Bakhtiar, Lane Taylor, Corey Linsley, Jahri Evans, Brian Bulaga, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy, Kofi Amichia

Defense

DL (6) - Mike Daniels, Kenny Clark, Dean Lowry, Montravius Adams, Ricky Jean-Francois,Christian Ringo.

OLB (5) - Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Jayrone Elliot, Kyler Fackrell, Vince Biegel

CB (6) - Kevin King, Demarious Randall, Quinten Rollins, Davon house, Ladarius Gunter, Josh Hawkins

no geronimo? :cry: no barclay? :inlove:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The key battles as I see it:

-RB: Montgomery is obviously going to be a part of the plan no matter what. But snaps are up for grabs behind him. There will be some jockeying as Williams, Jones, and Mays fight for roles.

-RG: My guess is that they will see if any of the younger guys (Patrick, Murphy, or Amichia) can claim the job, while having Evans waiting in the wings.

-DL: Daniels is obviously going to have his role, and Clark will take over Guion's spot in the defense. But DL is heavily rotated, so Lowry, RJF, and Adams will be competing for snaps.

-EDGE3: Perry and Matthews should be safe, but Fackrell and Biegel will be competing for that 3rd spot.

-DB: HHCD and Burnett have their roles. Beyond that, I would hold a completely open competition.

OP
OP
RRyder

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

RBs (5) - Ty Montgomery, Jamaal Williams, Aaron Ripkowski, Christine Michael, Davante Mays

Defense

Not bad. Only take exception to a few spots. If Janis makes this team over Allison I'm going to be pissed. Throw Geronimo in there in place of Janis and take off either Dupre or Yancey and throw the one you take off on the practice squad. Janis is on borowed time though

Also I'd remove Amichia and replace him with Patrick on the line.

Christine Michael is going to need a great camp to make this roster and I'm not seeing it. So I'd remove him also to open up another UFA spot

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Defense

id say Aaron Jones makes it over Mays at rb and Allison makes it over yancy at WR. also think Michael will get cut and only 4 rb make the final roster leaving 2 spots for udfa

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Joe Callahan?

Mays over Aaron Jones? I'd guess Jones.

Geronimo Allison will be on the squad instead of Davis, Janis or Yancey.

Amichia will most likely be on the PS. Barclay will be the #8 guy...sadly.

Defense

I'm not sure Ringo is going to beat out Guion, even with the 4 game suspension.

Let's see if Vogel can beat out Schum.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Christine Michael makes the final 53. And I'm fine with that.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
O-line battle. Evans has to clearly outplay the group of Murphy, Barclay, Patrick, & Amichia to make the roster. If he doesn't earn the starting gig in a cakewalk he doesn't stay. Amichia needs to be a backup center to beat out Barclay otherwise practice squad it is. Patrick, Barclay, and Murphy are in for 2spots if either of the other 2make the roster with Barclay having a head start. Also expect a UDFA to compete but get a PS slot.

Sky King

Reaction score
The best training camp battle could be between two unnamed forum posters* should they happen to find themselves sitting next to one another in the bleachers located at the practice field.

*Names have been withheld to protect the innocent.

Members online

Latest posts