Bye bye Rodgers

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trouble is, this is 2021 and all these over paid and talented players think they can bully a complete team in to giving them everything they demand.
They do it in the NBA, and I'm guessing it's going to be happening more and more in the NFL as time goes on. Just seems to be the way things are going. I hope I'm wrong though.

Seems to be Rodgers wasn't filling in for King in the NFCCG. Plenty of players picked that game to stink it up. Rodgers wasn't one of them.
Rodgers definitely outplayed Brady. Unfortunately, he was not exactly Mr. Clutch.

Reaction score
Not sure it's a good idea to dump the MVP in exchange for a guy who threw 18 picks in the Mt. West conference and who has never played a down in the NFL. That has to be the biggest drop off in qb talent any franchise has seen in a long time.
Naw. I think we’ve already crossed that bridge.
Can’t be any worse than Kizer’s 11-24 TD-INT ratio :eek:

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure it's a good idea to dump the MVP in exchange for a guy who threw 18 picks in the Mt. West conference and who has never played a down in the NFL.

Every player who was ever enshrined in the HOF never played a down in the NFL... until they did.

In 2018, Love threw 32 TDs and only 6 INTs. You know, when he had a couple of decent receivers to throw to. In 2019 he had a new coach, a swiss cheese OL, and nothing but **** for receivers. Context is your friend.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by that?

I never thought he quit on the team though, I mean if that's what you're trying to say I think you're pretty far off...

To me, when he had a chance to scramble for a good chance for a TD (or at least to get them to the one yard line) and he instead threw the ball in the dirt, that was when his lack of effort became apparent. I don't know if it was a desire to try to pad his passing stats, or if he got scared and pussied-out, or if it was simply poor judgement, but none of those things are acceptable.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's funny to me is the fact you said you would take Favre and yet you forget the fact that he held this team hostage with him dangling retirement over the organization's head and whatnot. And yet Rodgers is the arrogant one because he wants to win and the FO doesn't seem to share his commitment, while being a good soldier over the years.

A good soldier? Seriously? He's the whiniest guy in football who isn't a WR. When he makes a bad play the first thing he does is looks around for someone else to blame. You RARELY see a mea culpa from the man. He has a history of flipping his coaches the bird by ignoring play calls only to call his own plays. And if he really is making ultimatums trying to get people fired, then good riddance. And your contention that the FO doesn't want to win is ludicrous on its face.

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every player who was ever enshrined in the HOF never played a down in the NFL... until they did.

In 2018, Love threw 32 TDs and only 6 INTs. You know, when he had a couple of decent receivers to throw to. In 2019 he had a new coach, a swiss cheese OL, and nothing but **** for receivers. Context is your friend.
Yep. He basically played on the NCAA equivalent of the Jets (if their starters on offense were out) in 2019. Even Rodgers wouldn't have been able to do anything with that offense

D

Deleted member 6794

bottom line they didn't score after any of 3 turnovers created by the defense in crunch time.

You might want to get your facts straight. The Packers scored a touchdown after the first interception. In addition you need to consider the offense received the ball at their own 19 and 24 on the other two turnovers which made it tough to get points off them.

I get if they traded him now they'd take about a 1 million dollar cap hit because the dead cap is like 38 and his cap number 37.

But if the Packers traded Rodgers after June 1st would they not save like 20 million against the 2021 cap and 25 million against the 2022 cap?

If we traded him this year, when would he be completely off our cap?

He would count zero in 2023 according to the article I read. They would save 15.2 million on the 2021 cap with a post June 1st trade

Here's how much Rodgers would count against the cap if traded:

Before June 1:
2021: $38.356 million

After June 1:
2021: $21.152 million
2022: $17.204 million

Yep. He basically played on the NCAA equivalent of the Jets (if their starters on offense were out) in 2019. Even Rodgers wouldn't have been able to do anything with that offense

Love performed great against struggling teams like BYU, UNLV, New Mexico and San Jose State in 2018 but struggled against better competition as well.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trouble is, this is 2021 and all these over paid and talented players think they can bully
a complete team in to giving them everything they demand.

The players are absolutely not overpaid. There's no argument that they are...

The owners yes...32 owners and they keep over 50% of the total revenue. And many of the owners expenses are not included in this total revenue pie. About 2000 players and they get less than 50%. In other words the owners are making plenty off their investment (paying the players)

Talking about Rodgers specifically he gets 33.5 million a year. You don't think the team makes way more than that by having him as a member?

The NFL is the industry that is the closest to fairly paying their workers. Well on field workers, obviously if you just work at the stadium you are vastly underpaid.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You might want to get your facts straight. The Packers scored a touchdown after the first interception. In addition you need to consider the offense received the ball at their own 19 and 24 on the other two turnovers which made it tough to get points off them.

Before June 1:

After June 1:

My point remains the same. Rodgers yelled at Z. Smith to get the ball back for the offense they did at least twice in a row from that exchange on the sideline. I could of sworn the Packers offense had 3 drives in a row that had they scored a TD they would of been SB bound. Maybe one the defense just stopped em. I could go back and watch it to get my facts straight but it doesn't matter enough to me because it doesn't change the validity of my point...

Now for the salary cap so because he currently has a cap number of approx 37 million if they trade him after June 1st (apprx 21 m). Assuming they only recieved draft picks they would save about 16 million on the 2021 cap by trading him post June 1st...

How would it be that they save 0 on the 2021 cap by trading him? Or were you referring to the 1 million cap charge if they traded him prior to June 1st?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm personally so sick and tired of people trying to weigh in on Rodgers's family situation. That **** should be completely off limits and nobody has any right to tell him what he has to do to make up with his meddling parents, or who he should be dating/marrying, or anything like that. And his 2 stupid loser brothers should get the **** up off their ***** and do something productive besides bash him on Twitter all day. God dam those Jordan and Luke guys are stupid.

LOL.....so none of us should be weighing in on his family life, yet if you read the second half of your statement, you just can't help yourself not to.

While I agree that a players off the field life shouldn't be our business. However, when it either effects a players ability as a football player or in Rodgers case, might give us some insight as to how he will treat this situation, it can be pretty relevant to analyzing Aaron the person. I mean few of us are debating how great of a player he is right? It is Aaron, the man off the field that currently is the driving force behind the current situation and many of us are trying to figure out just what he might be thinking or what he will do and all we have to base that off of, are his previous actions.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The players are absolutely not overpaid. There's no argument that they are...

The owners yes...32 owners and they keep over 50% of the total revenue. And many of the owners expenses are not included in this total revenue pie. About 2000 players and they get less than 50%. In other words the owners are making plenty off their investment (paying the players)

Talking about Rodgers specifically he gets 33.5 million a year. You don't think the team makes way more than that by having him as a member?

The NFL is the industry that is the closest to fairly paying their workers. Well on field workers, obviously if you just work at the stadium you are vastly underpaid.

Of course there is, or we wouldn't be talking about it. More to the point, the post you replied to was targeting specific, overpaid players, not players in general.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A good soldier? Seriously? He's the whiniest guy in football who isn't a WR. When he makes a bad play the first thing he does is looks around for someone else to blame. You RARELY see a mea culpa from the man. He has a history of flipping his coaches the bird by ignoring play calls only to call his own plays. And if he really is making ultimatums trying to get people fired, then good riddance. And your contention that the FO doesn't want to win is ludicrous on its face.
This nonesense again? Ok name a few instances where he had complained, threw people under the bus at the podium, or "whine when a play goes bad.

Give me AT least 5 instances. That shouldn't be too hard.

When has he ever given the bird multiple times as you claim, and as far as changing plays it has been confirmed by McCarthy that he has that right to change the plays if he sees something at the line. So nice try in your attempts to vilify him.

As for the FO attempt on "winning" explain to me how last years draft helped us in regards to team winning. Go ahead I'll wait.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
As for the FO attempt on "winning" explain to me how last years draft helped us in regards to team winning. Go ahead I'll wait.

Hind site and short term, last years draft did not help the Packers a ton in 2020, but what rookie draft class in the past has? I doubt that the intentions, outside of the Love pick, was for rookies not to contribute in some way, especially with Deguira, who was contributing until he was injured. Dillion and Martin did contribute as well.

I really wish people would stop pointing to last years draft as some sort of evidence that the FO doesn't want to win and approached that draft in some sort of odd way and said "F the future, lets make some bad picks, it should make our fan base talk." Let the damn draft class play out a few years before you condemn it. Also, people pointing to Love not playing and using that as some sort of evidence that he was a "bad" pick, meh.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bottom line they didn't score after any of 3 turnovers created by the defense in crunch time. Had they, it's a Super Bowl

Before June 1:

After June 1:

My point remains the same. Rodgers yelled at Z. Smith to get the ball back for the offense they did at least twice in a row from that exchange on the sideline. I could of sworn the Packers offense had 3 drives in a row that had they scored a TD they would of been SB bound. Maybe one the defense just stopped em. I could go back and watch it to get my facts straight but it doesn't matter enough to me because it doesn't change the validity of my point...

Now for the salary cap so because he currently has a cap number of approx 37 million if they trade him after June 1st (apprx 21 m). Assuming they only recieved draft picks they would save about 16 million on the 2021 cap by trading him post June 1st...

How would it be that they save 0 on the 2021 cap by trading him? Or were you referring to the 1 million cap charge if they traded him prior to June 1st?

The statement is that, if the Pack scores on just one of those turnovers, they win. Oh, wait, they did score after the first one and still lost. Well, that doesn't change anything because the point is valid, even if it isn't.

How can there be zero savings in 2021? He doesn't say there is, he just tells what the cap hit would be.

Now I see how one can never lose an arguement.

OP
OP
T

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The main problem with the NFL players in this point is that they are ALL way overpaid. Years back they played their hearts and butts off for a very small amount of money! They played for the love of the game— most of today’s players are pansies in comparison and it is ALL about the money! Yes Rodgers at this point in his career should have more Super Bowl victories and appearances. Yes shame on the Packer organization for not helping Him to that end. But they ALL for the most part are a bunch of spoiled babies! Favre at least played for the LOVE of the game and you knew that as a fan. He would take less money to help the Packers get what they needed to be better as a team! Also when you are a big named celebrity making that kind of money you give up your personal life. Your life and opinions on it are fair game - so cry me a river when it gets out how ****** you treat your OWN family!!!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The main problem with the NFL players in this point is that they are ALL way overpaid. Years back they played their hearts and butts off for a very small amount of money! They played for the love of the game— most of today’s players are pansies in comparison and it is ALL about the money! Yes Rodgers at this point in his career should have more Super Bowl victories and appearances. Yes shame on the Packer organization for not helping Him to that end. But they ALL for the most part are a bunch of spoiled babies! Favre at least played for the LOVE of the game and you knew that as a fan. He would take less money to help the Packers get what they needed to be better as a team! Also when you are a big named celebrity making that kind of money you give up your personal life. Your life and opinions on it are fair game - so cry me a river when it gets out how ****** you treat your OWN family!!!

First, I totally agree on how money has gotten so out of whack in some professional sports, it has really made me want to just walk away.

That said, I am not sure I would lump Rodgers into the class that you might be implying he is in, since I think he does actually love the game. However, you are right, some players can take the money and run and be set for life. While the "set for life" probably didn't occur as much 50 years ago, I am sure players became less motivated and just played for whatever they could get or walked away.

Today's professional athletes, in the major pay sports are really in a "unique" situation, the money is way more than playing the game is worth, but is the game worth playing, once they have enough money? Rodgers doesn't "need" another $10M/year, but for him it is probably more the status and recognition that comes with the pay. Of course, maybe being able to buy himself another few percentages of Bucks ownership might be motivation too.

OP
OP
T

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really hate comments like these.

In a league where there is clearly, no loyalty and a player has to do what's best in his own interest, he all of a sudden isn't a "True Packer" and is hogging all the attention and the spotlight. Newsflash you guys, you ARE aware that he wasn't the one that leaked all this out right?

It's astonishing how fickle we are as a fanbase. We've been spoiled by Arodg for years and the moment he gets fed up after being a team player all these years, and typically holding up his side of the deal, we turn on him?

What's funny to me is the fact you said you would take Favre and yet you forget the fact that he held this team hostage with him dangling retirement over the organization's head and whatnot. And yet Rodgers is the arrogant one because he wants to win and the FO doesn't seem to share his commitment, while being a good soldier over the years.

Thank goodness you guys aren't in the FO. You guys would've made the situation worse due to how emotional you guys are being. Geez.
First, I totally agree on how money has gotten so out of whack in some professional sports, it has really made me want to just walk away.

That said, I am not sure I would lump Rodgers into the class that you might be implying he is in, since I think he does actually love the game. However, you are right, some players can take the money and run and be set for life. While the "set for life" probably didn't occur as much 50 years ago, I am sure players became less motivated and just played for whatever they could get or walked away.

Today's professional athletes, in the major pay sports are really in a "unique" situation, the money is way more than playing the game is worth, but is the game worth playing, once they have enough money? Rodgers doesn't "need" another $10M/year, but for him it is probably more the status and recognition that comes with the pay. Of course, maybe being able to buy himself another few percentages of Bucks ownership might be motivation too.
Jimmy Taylor could barely walk if at all years after he gave his “ALL” to the 60’s Green Bay Packers! How does that compare to the little woozies playing the game today?! No they didn’t just walk away from football when they had enough and it sure wasn’t for the BIG money in those days. I am to the point where I don’t care about Rodgers at all anymore or where or what he does in the future. Had enough of hearing about Him and the Packers will just have to live with what happens. I won’t be watching Jeopardy either

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Heck the fact that he had 18 INTs shows that he at least tried. He could have just taken sacks or thrown the ball away.

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am having a hard time with all of this. If reports are true and GB has offered an extended deal and the fact that they would welcome input from Rodgers, why is this still going on? They all should be able to start acting like adult and move on......?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jimmy Taylor could barely walk if at all years after he gave his “ALL” to the 60’s Green Bay Packers! How does that compare to the little woozies playing the game today?! No they didn’t just walk away from football when they had enough and it sure wasn’t for the BIG money in those days. I am to the point where I don’t care about Rodgers at all anymore or where or what he does in the future. Had enough of hearing about Him and the Packers will just have to live with what happens. I won’t be watching Jeopardy either

I understand your dislike of where the game has headed money wise, since as I pointed out, that aspect of the NFL bothers me too. However, to say or think that the NFL Player today isn't putting his body on the line to play, is factually incorrect and if you follow the "players today" after they retire, you will see just how bad of shape some of their bodies are after football. Trainers, technology, equipment, etc. have become far more advanced in the last 50 years, but even with all of that, guys are still walking...no hobbling away from the game before a normal 30 year old's body should break down.

OP
OP
T

Toad

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football players make the decision to play a hard, rough sport. They go into it with eyes wide open. They all know the risk for brain damage from concussions etc. Years ago they didn’t have all that modern research and all of the new protective rules and equipment that today’s players have. Today they are paid VERY well for the risk they are taking. Too well in my opinion. That is my point. Rodgers is like his good buddy Tom Brady so he will pull a Brady. They are more concerned with their own legacies and pocket books than any dedication to their franchises or to their fans. I am done caring about players like that no matter how talented they are

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Football players make the decision to play a hard, rough sport. They go into it with eyes wide open. They all know the risk for brain damage from concussions etc. Years ago they didn’t have all that modern research and all of the new protective rules and equipment that today’s players have.

Correct and this is much different than what you accused them of being a few posts ago, I think "pansies" and "spoiled babies" you said?

I think you are confusing your dislike of all of the money being paid to these guys with the lessor paid players of the 70's being more dedicated because they were paid less and took a beating in the process?

Almost feels like calling todays everyday car driver a pu$$y because they are now driving vehicles that are much safer.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Football players make the decision to play a hard, rough sport. They go into it with eyes wide open. They all know the risk for brain damage from concussions etc. Years ago they didn’t have all that modern research and all of the new protective rules and equipment that today’s players have. Today they are paid VERY well for the risk they are taking. Too well in my opinion. That is my point. Rodgers is like his good buddy Tom Brady so he will pull a Brady. They are more concerned with their own legacies and pocket books than any dedication to their franchises or to their fans. I am done caring about players like that no matter how talented they are
Tough talk only goes so far on an internet forum...about an inch.

Teams have no dedication to the players, so why in the world would the players dedicate themselves to the team without reciprocation? That's just foolish yearning for an era long, long, long gone. This is professional football. Kids play it for the love of the game. High school players mostly play for the love of the game. College football is monetized and turns player dedication into a fool's errand. By the time they hit the NFL, it is a business. Team dedication is for the fans only. For the players, it is eat or be eaten.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And Rodgers hasn't given it his all out on the field? Gimme a break. You're being a prisoner of the moment based off reports. Only Rodgers knows what the issues are. If he decides to go then we can thank him for the memories as well as the Lombardi he brought to us awhile back. You make it seem like he had personally robbed you or something, and if he DOES return and we end up winning you will be looking pretty silly and rightfully so. Just sit back and wait and see what happens.

It honestly annoys me how spoiled we are. We enjoy Rodgers' greatness but now that he's not happy with some things that is justfied, he's the bad guy. Oh I love how you didn't bring up Favre this time around. I guess you recall how much of a circus that was right?

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
College football is monetized and turns player dedication into a fool's errand.
I am not a big college football fan but I doubt the veracity of this statement especially if you are talking about all the teams in college. Eat or be eaten in the pros? It has always been that way. Probably even in high school. Anyway I mainly agree with what you said and you did say it well. imho