Brett admits he was at fault?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Something like his tearful retirement speech will do. :D

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Wow....I watched this and I was cured !!!! I Love you Brett, ya big cuddly teddy bear :poop:. NO I wont give you my cellphone number :eek:

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow....I watched this and I was cured !!!! I Love you Brett, ya big cuddly bear :poop:

Basically, what he really meant to say during this press conference, but never did, is something like this ...

"First, I'd like to apologize for ending and ruining yet another season, with another one of my ill-advised sandlot junk balls. Sucks, but, eh, it's par for the course, right? I don't like Ted Thompson. I told him to sign Randy Moss. He did not. So, I'm going to "retire" today, but believe me ... I'll get that itch in July. When I get the itch, I will promptly hop on a charter jet and will arrive in Green Bay, uninvited, and will turn training camp into a stupid, ridiculous circus, for no coherent reason whatsoever, other than because I'm a self-absorbed ****-clown".

M

mayo44

Is there really that much difference between "demanding" and not being willing to compete, which the interview reveals was the case?

Yes, there is that much difference. Demanding his starting job back would mean he was saying, "I'm going to be a Packer and I'm going to start." But he knew that wasn't going to happen, which is why he was asking to be released or traded.

M

mayo44

For many of us, (the ones being unreasonably petty), but a public announcement of reconciliation (I didn't say public apology) would go a long way because, if Favre and Ted are appearing together, that lends support to the idea reconciliation actually took place.

Sorry but I don't really find that as being irrational.

Well now you're talking about a different thing. But the very fact that Murphy has made it public that the Packers are ready to move on already lends support to the idea that reconciliation has taken or is taking place. It stands to reason that if Ted had any ill feelings toward Favre, then Murphy would be risking damaging his relationship with his GM, and he's just not going to do that. As a mature man who understand the nature of his profession, I doubt Ted holds any ill will anyway, but it's really not that hard to connect the dots here.

As for Ted and Favre appearing together, I guarantee you that will happen on the big G at Lambeau before his number is retired. At that time, you will likely get that announcement in the form of a handshake.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, there is that much difference. Demanding his starting job back would mean he was saying, "I'm going to be a Packer and I'm going to start." But he knew that wasn't going to happen, which is why he was asking to be released or traded.

Um ... then why the hell didn't he just do that in March??? Instead of publicly retiring, he could have flat-out asked for that earlier, to avoid the utter fiasco that transpired in August. This is absurd. He knew damn well, while he was sitting there in tears, that he had absolutely no intention of retiring and that he would be playing in 2008. So, basically, he coordinated his entire plan and kept all "hush-hush" about it, before deciding to specifically drag the franchise, its president, its GM, its coach, its new starting QB, and the entire team through the mud. Despicable and there's no other word for it.

I've just assumed he would wait until Ted left or retired, before coming back for all this ceremony stuff. If that was the case, Ted can stay another 20 years.

M

mayo44

Mayo44 seems to believe everyone is not free to hold whatever opinion they want:

That's how adults handle things.” “I see you're one of the bitter, spiteful people. But I understand Chicago does that to you.” “Are you going to remain for the rest of your life the last bitter old Packer fan residing in the pits of Chicago?” “He'll be in Canton within 3 years. It would behoove the malcontents to get over it by then.”

You go from maligning those who disagree with you to this kind of foolishness: “You can disagree all you want but my words in the above post care a lot of truth and deep down, you know it.” IMO that’s very immature – is ‘because I said so’ next?

Oh please, of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, but they should also be willing/able to defend that opinion in the face of scrutiny.

Like many who idolized Favre, you post things you can’t know: “I guarantee you with absolute certainty that TT doesn't hold the same grudge the more resentful side of Packer Nation does.”

Seriously? You think that a man who is the epitome of patience and control is going to hold a meaningless grudge for 5 years just because Favre came out of retirement? You must think awfully low of his character.

And you ignore the plain meaning of words:
Favre states flatly he won’t be the back-up QB and when asked if he’d compete for the starting job, he answered with the one-word question, “why”? That clearly indicates that he was demanding his starting job back: that was the only way he was going to return. If that wasn’t a “demand” it was a non-negotiable condition.

No, I'm not ignoring them. I'm simply not reading things into them that I WANT them to mean to further my argument. It frankly doesn't make sense to interpret it as a demand that he be the starting QB in Green Bay. It makes far more sense that the "why" was in light of the fact that he could start on any one of a dozen or so other teams. Three days before that interview, Favre had a communication with Thompson. That communication wasn't "I want my starting job back, now!", it was "I would like to be released from my contract." So to make the claim that he demanded his old job back through Greta Van Susteren flies in the face of reason.

As far as that poll goes, keep in mind 68% said “not yet”, “after Thompson retires” or “never”. Only 30% said “this year”. So according to the poll you linked, right now you are in the minority.

Not so fast. My position is that it needs to be done before Canton. But if it were to happen this year, that would be okay too.

You seem to have an odd idea of what an apology is as you use phrases like, “stripped of all dignity and shamed in public”.

The comment stands because that's exactly what some people want.

And for those of us who would like Favre to apologize to Packers fans, the only way that can be done is in public. If at an appropriate public event Favre said, ‘I apologize to the Packers’ management, the players, and to Packers fans for my behavior in 2008...’,

Again, for what? For un-retiring? For wanting to play elsewhere when he knows the train has left the station in Green Bay?

Does Ted also owe an apology to Packer fans for not having the foresight to see the inevitable train wreck that could have been avoided if he has simply traded him ASAP?

I certainly don’t expect to change anyone’s mind and the point is neither are you, mayo44 and it looks like that’s something you are going to have to accept.

I don't care if I change anyone's mind or not. This is going to happen probably sooner rather than later and it's no skin off my back if you want to boo the Packers when they deem it time to retire his jersey.

BTW, I was a steamed at Favre as anyone in 2008. But life's too short to carry petty grudges and the words of Mark Murphy, Brett Favre and, most importantly, Aaron Rodgers indicate that the two sides are very close to being on the same page and if the actual parties who were involved are grown up enough to put it behind them, then why should anyone else continue to harbor bitter resentment? But that's on you, not me.

M

mayo44

Um ... then why the hell didn't he just do that in March??? Instead of publicly retiring, he could have flat-out asked for that earlier, to avoid the utter fiasco that transpired in August. This is absurd. He knew damn well, while he was sitting there in tears, that he had absolutely no intention of retiring and that he would be playing in 2008. So, basically, he coordinated his entire plan and kept all "hush-hush" about it, before deciding to specifically drag the franchise, its president, its GM, its coach, its new starting QB, and the entire team through the mud. Despicable and there's no other word for it.

Hey Jack, didn't you just criticize me for "pretending to know things I have no way of knowing?"

How about this work of speculative fiction by PFL?

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Well now you're talking about a different thing. But the very fact that Murphy has made it public that the Packers are ready to move on already lends support to the idea that reconciliation has taken or is taking place. It stands to reason that if Ted had any ill feelings toward Favre, then Murphy would be risking damaging his relationship with his GM, and he's just not going to do that. As a mature man who understand the nature of his profession, I doubt Ted holds any ill will anyway, but it's really not that hard to connect the dots here.

As for Ted and Favre appearing together, I guarantee you that will happen on the big G at Lambeau before his number is retired. At that time, you will likely get that announcement in the form of a handshake.

Murph has been free to extend the olive branch for a while, because it's not Ted holding the grudge, it's Favre. HE's the one unwilling to bury the hatchet so far. The ball is in Favre's court, which means we won't be seeing that ceremony for a while.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Jack, didn't you just criticize me for "pretending to know things I have no way of knowing?"

How about this work of speculative fiction by PFL?

I haven't criticized you of anything. I merely responded to a post.

Speculative? Right. Um, no. Only a pea-brained fool can't add 2 + 2 to get 4, to go along with what was so blatantly obvious all along. Wait ... you seriously thought he was going to stay retired, when all along, he just wanted out of Green Bay, because, boo-hoo, wah-wah ... he didn't like Ted? Please.

M

mayo44

Murph has been free to extend the olive branch for a while, because it's not Ted holding the grudge, it's Favre. HE's the one unwilling to bury the hatchet so far.

I'm sorry but I don't see any evidence of a grudge from either side in light of statements made over the past 3 weeks from BOTH sides. In regards to having his number retired:

"I don't know of any player who would not want that to happen," Favre said of having his number being retired. "I'm honored just by the thought. Obviously there was, if you want to call it, 'bad blood' or whatever, I just think that people started picking sides. And really I'm over that and have been over it."

That doesn't sound anything like a grudge to me. Looks to me like the only grudge is the one held by an ever shrinking contingent of Packer fans. If Eva Kor can forgive Dr. Josef Mengele for what he did to her and her twin sister at Auschwitz, then how petty is all of this?

M

mayo44

I haven't criticized you of anything. I merely responded to a post.

Speculative? Right. Um, no. Only a pea-brained fool can't add 2 + 2 to get 4, to go along with what was so blatantly obvious all along.

Careful. You're calling an awful lot of people "pea-brained fools," including Ted Thompson. If he had seen it the way you claim to all along, then he wouldn't have drafted 2 quarterbacks that spring, including Brohm with a second round pick.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Careful. You're calling an awful lot of people "pea-brained fools," including Ted Thompson. If he had seen it the way you claim to all along, then he wouldn't have drafted 2 quarterbacks that spring, including Brohm with a second round pick.

Ah ... it isn't Ted's job to read Favre's mind. It's Ted's job to tell Favre to get lost and he did his job.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't see any evidence of a grudge from either side in light of statements made over the past 3 weeks from BOTH sides. In regards to having his number retired:

"I don't know of any player who would not want that to happen," Favre said of having his number being retired. "I'm honored just by the thought. Obviously there was, if you want to call it, 'bad blood' or whatever, I just think that people started picking sides. And really I'm over that and have been over it."

That doesn't sound anything like a grudge to me. Looks to me like the only grudge is the one held by an ever shrinking contingent of Packer fans. If Eva Kor can forgive Dr. Josef Mengele for what he did to her and her twin sister at Auschwitz, then how petty is all of this?

Of course YOU don't see any evidence through your rose colored glasses, everything is peaches & cream to you and it's only the sad, bitter Packer fans who are just unwilling to let go the past grievances...

M

mayo44

Of course YOU don't see any evidence through your rose colored glasses, everything is peaches & cream to you and it's only the sad, bitter Packer fans who are just unwilling to let go the past grievances...

Okay, then produce some kind of evidence that supports your supposition that Favre is still holding a grudge because I just produced a direct quote which indicates that he doesn't. By evidence, I means something other than because you say so.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Is your name Jack?
No, his name isn`t Jack, but if you go continually spouting your CRAP and pointing the finger at him personally, he has the right to speak and defend himself.

NEWSFLASH........We are aware of YOUR opinion, and WE disagree !!!!! Okay ??? and now I`m going to ignore this and EVERY OTHER opinion you express so I don`t have to gouge my eyes out, or suffer high blood pressure. Have a nice day. Peace be upon you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts