Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't take that too far. I haven't posted but for about 6 months or so, but I've lurked for years and have seen several people get banned for some pretty benign things. Some were good posters too.

What you see in the public area is the only reason they got banned? I will have to remember that

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
What lack of sincerity are you referring to. Did you listen to the actual interview. He sounds as sincere as I've ever heard. And what happens if your criteria for what is necessary for you to "finally believe it?" What if they don't actually appear together? Are you going to remain for the rest of your life the last bitter old Packer fan residing in the pits of Chicago?

No there will still be plenty of us around. Look, your "defend the Favre at all costs" thing is noble, and I'm glad you've found your kumbaya moment in regard to the Messiah. There are still thousands of fans out there who aren't quite in your perfect place however, and have a different criteria on what they would like to see happen before they throw open their arms and welcome back Green Bay's prodigal son.

Many of us believe Favre should reconcile with Thompson before we extend the olive branch. If he doesn't do that then many of us aren't willing to forgive & forget because we don't believe the man is sincere. Nor do we need to. Brent is reaping that which he sowed. He chose to dump on this fanbase b/c of his bitterness for the GM who refused to cater to his whims. That's on him.

You want to label us as being petty or spiteful and tell us we're all just sore losers because we haven't reached your level of enlightenment, that's fine too. Bottom line is for many thousands of fans we hold a different criteria than you on what we need to see to move on. Those criteria are not yours. Doesn't mean we're not right just because we don't agree with you.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I have to say ... I'm really enjoying this thread. My god, this message board is so much better than one that I've been on in the past. No one has been banned and we're pretty much free to speak our minds on this Favre crap. I love it. This place rocks.

Welcome to the party PFL, we're glad you're here and hope you enjoy your stay and revel in your right to disagree with the Favre sycophants without fear of reprisal.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What lack of sincerity are you referring to. Did you listen to the actual interview. He sounds as sincere as I've ever heard. And what happens if your criteria for what is necessary for you to "finally believe it?" What if they don't actually appear together? Are you going to remain for the rest of your life the last bitter old Packer fan residing in the pits of Chicago?

What does he have, to be bitter about??? I also live in Chicago and ah, not the "pits" part of it, either. Some of us want to live in a bigger market where there's more career and job opportunities, etc. Whatever and who cares? Nothing to be bitter about. Favre tried to stick it to Ted when Ted didn't do a damn thing to him - Favre started everything - all of it. I'm not bitter, not one bit. I got to see Favre do what Favre does best, vs. the Saints. Then got to see Ted and Aaron Rodgers win a Super Bowl trophy and shove it up Favre's ****. Hilarious, hysterical, couldn't make it up if I tried.

No bitterness from me, just gloating, and I will continue to gloat about it, for as long as I see fit. I'd love to see them win more, obviously, but if they don't, it really doesn't matter. XLV was the only one they needed, to win this ridiculous little "war" that Favre started, all by himself. That's it, and that's that!

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess you're going to have to put every Packer who ever cheated on his wife in that same "dirtball, slimeball" category, and there's probably a hell of a lot more of those than you know, including on the current roster.

Let's see ... how does this work around here? Let me try this ... "I disagree with that post, sir".

Well, that was easy, lol.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're not agreeing with Mayo's interpretation of right and wrong in regard to the Messiah so obviously you're wrong. Resistance is futile... :)

Yep. I find his digs at us because we live in Chicago, or okay, the metro Chicago area, to be amusing. I absolutely hate the Bears and the Bulls. The White Sox are the only Chicago team I'm a die-hard fan of. I like the Blackhawks, but I'm a Quebec Nordiques fan first, have been since the 80's. When it comes to football and hockey, I gotta be loyal to the smallest markets - it's harder to win there. The Nords are coming back anyways. The NBA pretty much sucks, but ... for some asinine reason, I remain a die-hard Bucks fan and have been since the days of Sikma, Cummings, Moncrief, etc.

But, aside from the sports thing, I like living here. It's never boring. Any time my favorite bands go on tour, you know they're coming to Chicago. I'm not real crazy about paying over $9,000 a year in property taxes, but oh well. That's life. It comes with the territory of being in a big market, as well as the price to pay for living in a nice neighborhood. Besides, being a Packer fan in Chicago is easy. Has been for 20+ years, lol.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I'm in Plainfield but work in Elgin so have a long drive. I support three plants in WI however, Fort Atkinson, Deforest and Milwaukee so I get up that way a lot.

The Elgin plant is closing however so I may be forced to move North into Cheese Country within the next couple years.

I have to agree however that I like living in the area as well, even though I'm a transplant.

M

mayo44

Bottom line is for many thousands of fans we hold a different criteria than you on what we need to see to move on. Those criteria are not yours. Doesn't mean we're not right just because we don't agree with you.

That's fine. You can remain bitter and resentful long after Packer Nation has passed you by, which like LTF said, is likely to happen the minute Favre steps on field with Mark Murphy in the not too distant future. BTW, you're the only one who seems to think of him as any kind of "Messiah." Cute, but very, very old.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Like him, Love him or Hate him he's going into the PFHOF. He will go into the Packer HOF so yeah retire the number and let's just move on.

I still don't like the whole Queens fiasco and yes it left a bad taste but really it's best for the franchise to mend The fence and look to the future IMHO.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It will take more than the words he just uttered before he walks on the field with Murphy. He's going to have to speak to the fans in a truly apologetic way and he's going to have to reconcile with Thompson. There's much more that needs to be done by him.

Did some miss the ???? marks by LTF in the thread starter????

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
That's fine. You can remain bitter and resentful long after Packer Nation has passed you by, which like LTF said, is likely to happen the minute Favre steps on field with Mark Murphy in the not too distant future. BTW, you're the only one who seems to think of him as any kind of "Messiah." Cute, but very, very old.

You seem to be operating under the misguided notion that the majority of Packer Nation has "passed me by." I'd be willing to bet that's not nearly as much the case as you think. Nor do I believe The Favre will be stepping on the field in the next year or two.

I was there in 2008 and saw the level the Favre sycophants went to in order to rationalize his actions. They praised the Favre and cursed TT/MM, they also sent their mullet wearing offspring to curse Rodgers, cussing at him and telling him they hate him, simply because they blamed him for the conflict. The Favre was the anointed one, the deliverer, the one in the right.

Just because you don't see it that way doesn't mean that's not how it was... ;)

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
It will take more than the words he just uttered before he walks on the field with Murphy. He's going to have to speak to the fans in a truly apologetic way and he's going to have to reconcile with Thompson. There's much more that needs to be done by him.

Sounds like you can remain bitter and resentful long after Packer Nation has passed you by... :)

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In 2008, after he pulled off his failed stunt and was told to hit the road (thankfully), I created this distinctive group called The Sunshine Club, which, in essence, was the opposite side of those who thought we should have let Favre come back. The concept was ... everything's cool, everyone chill out, it's all gonna work out. Fast forward a few years later and ahem ... Packers 31, Steelers 25.

So, the Sunshine Club won and the other side lost. What a shame. Bragging rights won forever, game over. We sure as hell aren't the ones who are bitter and resentful. But I'm sure the pro-Favre side is, lol.

M

mayo44

Define "truly apologetic way." If you're looking for something like this, that's just ridiculous:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Define "truly apologetic way." If you're looking for something like this, that's just ridiculous:

Most of us think he should reconcile with MM/TT/MM first, that's been stated. You disagree, which is fine. Why the big ******* to keep after those who disagree with you, telling them they're being petty and ridiculous? Are you really that determined to try and get us to change our minds?

M

mayo44

Most of us think he should reconcile with MM/TT/MM first

"Most of us...?" Who appointed you spokesman? Also, know that this forum does not represent an accurate cross-section of Packer fans as a whole. According to this poll, more than 80% think are ready to move on before his HOF induction: http://www.packersnews.com/poll/2013-06-07/7161117/results?1370732968561

BTW, if you're looking for some public display of grovelling at TT's feet, then understand that TT is a very private man and any reconciliation between the two of them won't be (or, more likely, hasn't been) done in front of TV cameras and any details likely would not be made public. But we do have some important clues. Aaron Rodgers has said that the time is coming to fix this thing. Mark Murphy has said, "We want to have Favre back in the family." I would surmise that neither of those guys would say a word about it if Ted Thompson had any kind of problem with it. I guarantee you with absolute certainty that TT doesn't hold the same grudge the more resentful side of Packer Nation does.

The image that comes to mind is that of a mother whose sons had a fight and she is continually scolding the younger one to apologize in front of her to the older one after the two have already made up privately long ago. If Ted doesn't want a public apology to him personally, then neither should anyone else. Ted's a big boy and doesn't need a handful of fans to stick up for him.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I`ve followed this thread with interest. Mayo, you are entitled to your opinion on this subject, and others are entitled to theirs. I for one have no intention of forgiving Favre for all this crap........By not forgiving him, that does NOT make me any less of a Packer fan than you, or any other on here. I agree with earlier posts, IF and WHEN Favre apologises to TT and MM, THEN, AND ONLY THEN will I believe his sincerity and NOT before.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
"Most of us...?" Who appointed you spokesman?

Oh Spokesman eh? Very nice. And how'd you come up with that title eh? By exploiting the workers! By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society I'll bet!!!!

Also, know that this forum does not represent an accurate cross-section of Packer fans as a whole.

Oh Packer fans as a whole is it? Look, if there's ever going to be any progress you're going to have to realize we are an autonomous collective. If you thi...

According to this poll, more than 80% think are ready to move on before his HOF induction: http://www.packersnews.com/poll/2013-06-07/7161117/results?1370732968561

Oh there you go, bringing polls into it again. You're fooling yourself. We're living in a dictatorship!

"We want to have Favre back in the family."

..... A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--

If Ted doesn't want a public apology to him personally, then neither should anyone else. Ted's a big boy and doesn't need a handful of fans to stick up for him.

We HAVE to stick up for him! Besides, Ted does NOT have the authority to make these decisions himself, he has to run it by the fans and especially the owners. Now like I told you before, we in Packer Nation are an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, BUT also by a two-thirds majority in the case of more...

I hope that is cleared up for you Mayo, this is the last time I expect to be having this conversation....

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I`ve followed this thread with interest. Mayo, you are entitled to your opinion on this subject, and others are entitled to theirs. I for one have no intention of forgiving Favre for all this crap........By not forgiving him, that does NOT make me any less of a Packer fan than you, or any other on here. I agree with earlier posts, IF and WHEN Favre apologises to TT and MM, THEN, AND ONLY THEN will I believe his sincerity and NOT before.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No there will still be plenty of us around. Look, your "defend the Favre at all costs" thing is noble, and I'm glad you've found your kumbaya moment in regard to the Messiah. There are still thousands of fans out there who aren't quite in your perfect place however, and have a different criteria on what they would like to see happen before they throw open their arms and welcome back Green Bay's prodigal son.

Many of us believe Favre should reconcile with Thompson before we extend the olive branch. If he doesn't do that then many of us aren't willing to forgive & forget because we don't believe the man is sincere. Nor do we need to. Brent is reaping that which he sowed. He chose to dump on this fanbase b/c of his bitterness for the GM who refused to cater to his whims. That's on him.

You want to label us as being petty or spiteful and tell us we're all just sore losers because we haven't reached your level of enlightenment, that's fine too. Bottom line is for many thousands of fans we hold a different criteria than you on what we need to see to move on. Those criteria are not yours. Doesn't mean we're not right just because we don't agree with you.

These kind of straw men are a disservice to the discussion: you're the only person tossing around the word "messiah" with regards to Favre and it's rather telling that your mind equates forgiveness with "defending Favre at all costs." They're different things and mis-characterizing the opinions of others doesn't make your opinion any better.

Favre acted like a ******* and fell on his face. If I felt somehow threatened by the man at this point then maybe I would pound my fist on the table and make exacting demands for his apology as well. But I don't. Favre wasn't bigger than the team and it's his legacy that got burned, not The Green Bay Packers.

Nice extremes in your hypothetical. Here's how I see the Favre situation. Let Favre, Ted, Mike & Murph sit down and hash this s**t out. Let them appear together and give all of us a "we're over it, please join us" type of message. Let us hear the sincerity that their fences are mended, that Favre isn't still seething inside at management, and maybe we can finally believe it.

Most of us think he should reconcile with MM/TT/MM first, that's been stated. You disagree, which is fine. Why the big ******* to keep after those who disagree with you, telling them they're being petty and ridiculous? Are you really that determined to try and get us to change our minds?

Have you ever asked yourself, why the "big *******" for Favre to issue an acceptable apology (by your standards) to other people?

-If he passes a polygraph would you be satisfied of his sincerity?

-Should white doves be released when all this goes down?

Point is, setting up an arbitrary standard by which you'll forgive the man doesn't really rationalize your position on this subject. To be fair, my position isn't very rational, either. There just isn't much that's rational about the decision over whether to forgive someone or continue to hold ill will toward that person after he's wronged you. I guess it varies according to a person's attitude or faith or something of that ilk.

Gotcha, Bill. It's not a pissing contest. I get that many Packer fans haven't forgiven Favre yet and it doesn't make me think more or less of them as fans. [I reserve the right to draw my own private conclusions about the character and attitudes of anyone that posts in this forum, however.]

Just so we understand each other, my willingness to let bygones be bygones doesn't mean I'm overlooking all of Favre's ****** conduct towards the end. It just means that, on the balance, that conduct doesn't wipe out the memory of about fifteen pretty damn good seasons (1992 - 2007). Doesn't make Bert my "messiah," it simply means that I'm over it.

P.S., Not sure that I share FlatLander's amusement with The Packer Forum's quarterly foray into this topic. Although it can be interesting, it seems to bring out the worst in some. Be advised, I'm ready to start marking posts "old" if the same people are just going to quibble with one another endlessly (see above) or post the same things, again and again. New voices or new thoughts. Otherwise, save us the BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online