I have not chimed in at all yet.
Because.
I.
Am.
Sick.
Of.
Favre.
Period.

We have our good memories, always will, and that won't change.
Same with all the bad ones, from Philly, St Louis, NY Giants, Minnesota, Atlanta playoff losses.

So let it go. Leave them there in our memories.

The guy has been a media *****, drama queen, for so long... he still begs for the attention.
I was always embarrassed by his media drama BS for the last 5 years as a Packer, then enjoyed it when he was in NY & Minny... embarrassed the Jets with the disgraceful actions with the interns or whoever those ladies were.
Then he left the Vikings fans with broken hearts with his patented BONEHEAD play when the Super Bowl was close enough to taste it.....

Let him simmer for awhile.
Make him beg for the Packers to forgive him, take him back, welcome him back.

Make him apologize, to the point we know he cares and is really sorry.... like this:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These kind of straw men are a disservice to the discussion: you're the only person tossing around the word "messiah" with regards to Favre and it's rather telling that your mind equates forgiveness with "defending Favre at all costs." They're different things and mis-characterizing the opinions of others doesn't make your opinion any better.

P.S., Not sure that I share FlatLander's amusement with The Packer Forum's quarterly foray into this topic. Although it can be interesting, it seems to bring out the worst in some. Be advised, I'm ready to start marking posts "old" if the same people are just going to quibble with one another endlessly (see above) or post the same things, again and again. New voices or new thoughts. Otherwise, save us the BS.

Point taken.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
These kind of straw men are a disservice to the discussion: you're the only person tossing around the word "messiah" with regards to Favre and it's rather telling that your mind equates forgiveness with "defending Favre at all costs." They're different things and mis-characterizing the opinions of others doesn't make your opinion any better.
I think I've spelled out pretty clearly how I and, I believe, others feel in regard to the reconciliation in that it involves Favre approaching MM/TT/MM and having them just hash this crap out.

Favre acted like a ******* and fell on his face. If I felt somehow threatened by the man at this point then maybe I would pound my fist on the table and make exacting demands for his apology as well. But I don't. Favre wasn't bigger than the team and it's his legacy that got burned, not The Green Bay Packers.
Yeah about that, I'm not "demanding" anything. I stated what I felt would be needed for this thing to move forward, others decided to make it an point of discussion to state that such a position is being "petty." I and others disagree.

Have you ever asked yourself, why the "big *******" for Favre to issue an acceptable apology (by your standards) to other people?
The ******** isn't that he should issue the apology, it's the disagreement that by thinking he should reconcile with Ted, (i.e. that we're not 100% convinced on what he's done so far), that we're being petty or that we have to defend that position to those who disagree, (case in point).

Point is, setting up an arbitrary standard by which you'll forgive the man doesn't really rationalize your position on this subject. To be fair, my position isn't very rational, either. There just isn't much that's rational about the decision over whether to forgive someone or continue to hold ill will toward that person after he's wronged you. I guess it varies according to a person's attitude or faith or something of that ilk.
Rationalizations/smashionalizations. This isn't about being "wronged" or seeking some sort of "pound of flesh." He's made a statement. Some are satisfied, some are skeptical, each side has stated their reasons for it. In the end this isn't really up to us, it's up to management. It's a pretty good bet I won't be at Lambeau when the ceremony is conducted, but when it does, it will likely be due to the fact Favre and the team have had their discussion and we'll be satisfied with it.

If certain people want to keep beating the proverbial dead horse and call me petty that's up to them, I'm done reacting to it. One thing you can count on, now that I've brought out the Monty Python I've said about all that needs to be said on the topic.

M

mayo44

WHEN Favre apologises to TT and MM, THEN, AND ONLY THEN will I believe his sincerity and NOT before.

Specifically, what does he need to apologize (not apologise) to Ted and Mike for, personally?

Should he apologize for coming out of retirement, like countless athletes have done in the past?

Should he apologize for asking to be released from his contract on July 11, 2008?

Should he apologize for being reinstated on August 4?

Should he apologize for showing up to training camp to the only team on which he held a roster spot?

Should he apologize for exercising the clause in his contract (which the Packers agreed to) which allowed him have final say over what team he might be traded to?

BTW, he never demanded his starting job back. That's a myth.

Talk about petty.

M

mayo44

I think I've spelled out pretty clearly how I and, I believe, others feel in regard to the reconciliation in that it involves Favre approaching MM/TT/MM and having them just hash this crap out.

And how do you know they haven't already done that? Not everything happens on Twitter, you know.

The ******** isn't that he should issue the apology, it's the disagreement that by thinking he should reconcile with Ted, (i.e. that we're not 100% convinced on what he's done so far), that we're being petty or that we have to defend that position to those who disagree, (case in point).

Evidence suggests that any reconciliation has already been done, otherwise Murphy and Rodgers would not be speaking out on it. Ted isn't the type to air things out in public. If the Packers say they're ready to move on, that's the extent of what you're going to get. Or are you demanding that Thompson change his ways and turn this into yet another media circus purely for the amusement of a few who think they have to stand up for him for some reason?

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Specifically, what does he need to apologize (not apologise) to Ted and Mike for, personally?

Should he apologize for coming out of retirement, like countless athletes have done in the past?

Should he apologize for asking to be released from his contract on July 11, 2008?

Should he apologize for showing up to training camp to the only team on which he held a roster spot?

Should he apologize for exercising the clause in his contract (which the Packers agreed to) which allowed him have final say over what team he might be traded to?

Talk about petty.
And you know its a myth ?

If he believed in his ability, why didn`t he accept the decision of the team to move forward because they were fed up with his "will he or wont he" retirement ****.
The facts here are, I respect your opinion, and your right to it but, I have a right to my opinion, and I am exercising my right to it.
I wont get into a personal slanging match with a fellow Packer fan because its childish and the fact we share the same passion for the Packers, I`d share a beer with you anytime but this argument will obviously never be sorted out.
My dad had the same passion for his Soccer team which always amused me, and one day I understood it and that was the day Favre played his games. I realised how much MY team meant to me.
I`m sorry that that goes against your opinion, but that's the way I feel about it.
In fairness, your comments about the guys living in Chicago were a bit childish IMHO, to qualify as a true Packer fan, do you have to live in Wisconsin ????
Oh by the way, WE spell it apologise, so knock it off with the spelling lesson !! There you go, I got personal.

Reactions: TJV

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Brett stated that he was partly to blame ... but you know what? ... I don't care one way or the other, really. I guess I've seen a lot of guys come and go since September 26, 1965 (my first Packers game at age 6 3/4), never idolized players that I can remember - closest to that was James Lofton ... didn't want Favre to retire even though he was pissing me off to no end, but moved on immediately and haven't looked back. I always seem to side with management on issues like these...so... I'm saying invite him back to see his name number put up when inducted into the Hall of Fame, but NOT in the north endzone - no vindictiveness involved ... I just don't think he's earned it. Perhaps because I had seen him poured into cabs too many times on College Avenue in Appleton.

Anyway, Favre didn't get a bum's rush in Green Bay ... now, James Lofton ... that is another matter altogether.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Favre acted like a ******* and fell on his face. If I felt somehow threatened by the man at this point then maybe I would pound my fist on the table and make exacting demands for his apology as well. But I don't. Favre wasn't bigger than the team and it's his legacy that got burned, not The Green Bay Packers.

Have you ever asked yourself, why the "big *******" for Favre to issue an acceptable apology (by your standards) to other people?

-If he passes a polygraph would you be satisfied of his sincerity?

-Should white doves be released when all this goes down?

Point is, setting up an arbitrary standard by which you'll forgive the man doesn't really rationalize your position on this subject. To be fair, my position isn't very rational, either. There just isn't much that's rational about the decision over whether to forgive someone or continue to hold ill will toward that person after he's wronged you. I guess it varies according to a person's attitude or faith or something of that ilk.

Gotcha, Bill. It's not a pissing contest. I get that many Packer fans haven't forgiven Favre yet and it doesn't make me think more or less of them as fans. [I reserve the right to draw my own private conclusions about the character and attitudes of anyone that posts in this forum, however.]

Just so we understand each other, my willingness to let bygones be bygones doesn't mean I'm overlooking all of Favre's ****** conduct towards the end. It just means that, on the balance, that conduct doesn't wipe out the memory of about fifteen pretty damn good seasons (1992 - 2007). Doesn't make Bert my "messiah," it simply means that I'm over it.

P.S., Not sure that I share FlatLander's amusement with The Packer Forum's quarterly foray into this topic. Although it can be interesting, it seems to bring out the worst in some. Be advised, I'm ready to start marking posts "old" if the same people are just going to quibble with one another endlessly (see above) or post the same things, again and again. New voices or new thoughts. Otherwise, save us the BS.
Jesus, Badger, I don`t recall my comment as anything personal towards anybody over their views, I merely explained and expressed mine on this subject. I have not QUIBBLED with anybody, but at the same time, I`m not going to lose any sleep worrying about your threat of "old" ratings. IF discussions about Favre being accepted back into the fold, bother you, don't read them......simple really !!

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score

VAN SUSTEREN: Is -- I know you haven't made a decision, but is going back to Green Bay an option and being the back-up quarterback, at this point?

FAVRE: Going back and being the back-up quarterback? No.

VAN SUSTEREN: What about competing for starting quarterback?

FAVRE: Why?

VAN SUSTEREN: I'm just asking. I'm just asking that...

FAVRE: That's what I would ask them, Why? Well, Brett, you retired, you know what I mean?

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Talk about petty.

He should apologize for throwing 6 picks in a playoff game vs. the Rams.

He should apologize for tossing a bag of kittens in the air in a playoff game vs. the Eagles.

He should apologize for throwing a pass nowhere near Driver in the NFC title game vs. the Giants.

He should apologize to Ted for getting pissy about not signing Randy Moss. Favre ain't the GM. Grow up.

He should apologize to Mike for rudely showing up uninvited to training camp in 2008.

He should apologize to Aaron for being a d*ck towards him, when Aaron did nothing to him. Uh, yeah ... Favre was 35 when Rodgers was drafted. 35. It's like, kind of about the time the team needs to be proactive and draft his replacement. Common sense, no? Yeah, I think it is.

Or ... I'll do the mods a favor and simply say ... "I disagree with your post, sir".

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting list Flat Lander.:tup:

Here's two more:

He should apologize for helping Detroit with their GB game plan.

And for telling Urlacher to Beat the Packers. Vindictive and Petty.

Feel free to add to the list. ;)

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting list Flat Lander.:tup:

Here's two more:

He should apologize for helping Detroit with their GB game plan.

And for telling Urlacher to Beat the Packers. Vindictive and Petty.

Feel free to add to the list. ;)

Oh, trust me ... I could come up with a bunch more. But, I like this board and the freedom to pretty much say what we want about Favre, without getting banned for stupid, silly rules, such as, "inciting negative responses" or "trolling for negative responses", etc. I don't want to overstep the boundaries, ya know? People, including the mods, rightfully do get tired of the same, repeated rhetoric, of which I am also quite guilty of doing. But, I like it here and would like to stick around.

I just left a board I'd been on since 2001 - very, very long time. The head mod over there totally abuses his power, by banning people for breaking rules that didn't even exist. He'd decide what posts he didn't like and then rule with an iron fist, etc. Completely took the fun out of everything. While a forum does need monitoring, to prevent personal attacks, racist talk, and things of that nature, there should still be freedom to dish out our opinions, even if they aren't in line with everyone else's.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Talk about petty.
I understand his competitiveness and him wanting to stick it to TT.
That part is no different than real jobs, except the fact that he, athletes, are even more competitive than normal people.
I understand the desire of wanting to play with Adrian Peterson, because he's the best RB since Barry Sanders.
I understand the desire for wanting to play in the warm, windless dome because passing, kicking, playing are easier there than in Lambeau.
I understand the desire to want to beat the Packers head-to-head like he did both times they played in 2009.
I understand the desire to want to beat Rodgers head-to-head those 2 times.

I give him all that, free pass, whatever you say.

But here's where he lost me:
BEFORE all that when he was an ******* to Rodgers, and a prima-donna behind the scenes around the team, preferential treatment, not doing the same team functions as everyone else.
I also didn't like his choking in big playoff games yet somehow him blaming it on the supporting cast, the fans and media (most of them) letting him off the hook.
He lost at home in the playoffs to Michael Vick, and Daunte Culpepper for God's sake, as heavy favorites with better teams.
Yet he never got the blame like he got credit for the one Super Bowl. Which was delivered moreso by Desmond Howard and Reggie White than him playing a great game.

And even though I love women, love em, and can understand the attraction to them even while married, it's what he actually DID, while still married to a great woman in Deanna.... well that was the last nail in the coffin for me to admire this guy.
I could forgive his choking in many playoff games.
I could forgive him wanting to stick it to Teddy and the team who chose to move on without him -AFTER HE said he was done.
But being a ***** to Rodgers before all that, and then humiliating, and breaking his wife (and daughters) hearts like that? Nah, he lost me as a fan.

We have that right. We're not "judging" him. We're just basing our opinion of him on the conduct he's done.

M

mayo44

And you know its a myth ?

Because nowhere in the public record is there any indication that he ever demanded his starting job back.

If he believed in his ability, why didn`t he accept the decision of the team to move forward because they were fed up with his "will he or wont he" retirement ****.

He did. The first thing he did on July 11, 2008 was ask for his release because he knew it was Aaron's job. When Ted refused, he asked to be traded. Ted's biggest mistake (and only mistake, BTW) was not trading him as fast as he could after that, and I'm sure he'd admit as much. Favre's big mistake was not keeping his yap shut to the media while things got worked out.

M

mayo44

VAN SUSTEREN: Is -- I know you haven't made a decision, but is going back to Green Bay an option and being the back-up quarterback, at this point?

FAVRE: Going back and being the back-up quarterback? No.

VAN SUSTEREN: What about competing for starting quarterback?

FAVRE: Why?

VAN SUSTEREN: I'm just asking. I'm just asking that...

FAVRE: That's what I would ask them, Why? Well, Brett, you retired, you know what I mean?

That's a far cry from a demand. In the last sentence you quoted he clearly acknowledges that he understand that the Packers moved on after he retired.

M

mayo44

He should apologize for throwing 6 picks in a playoff game vs. the Rams.

He should apologize for tossing a bag of kittens in the air in a playoff game vs. the Eagles.

He should apologize for throwing a pass nowhere near Driver in the NFC title game vs. the Giants.

Then every player needs to get in line with their apologies as well for every play they ever messed up. Driver should apologize for dropping so many balls his last 2 years. Green should apologize for every fumble. Rodgers should apologize for every sack he took when he could have thrown the ball away.

He should apologize to Ted for getting pissy about not signing Randy Moss. Favre ain't the GM. Grow up.

How do you know he hasn't? You seem to think everything happens in public. We know Favre and the Packers have been in contact and we are not privy to the nature of those conversations.

He should apologize to Mike for rudely showing up uninvited to training camp in 2008.

He didn't need an invitation. He was on the roster and by CBA rules, he had every right to be there. Nothing was rude about it. He wanted to play football. Goodell reinstated him. He was a member of the Packers. Unfortunately, it wasn't until then that Ted got serious about trading him. Should Ted apologize for not trading him ASAP after July 11, which would have avoided the whole fiasco? No, I don't believe he does. It was simply a mishandled situation.

And Favre doesn't owe anyone an apology for showing up to play football, either. If he hadn't shown up, it would have been a hold-out situation, and Ted would have been happy to let him hold out indefinitely without pay (and I think that's what he was banking on.) The very notion that it was "rude" for him to come to training camp is simply asinine. It was the only thing he could do if he wanted to play again because Ted made it that way by refusing to release him or trade him until Favre forced his hand.

Favre was a bonehead for leaking stuff to Chris Mortensen every other day during July and August and much of his behavior that month was abhorrent, but Ted made his own miscalculation, too.

He should apologize to Aaron for being a d*ck towards him, when Aaron did nothing to him.

Here's a bit of info for you. Ready? Aaron Rodgers doesn't need anyone else to stand up for him or defend his honor. If Aaron ever felt he was owed an apology, then apparently it has already happened because he has CLEARLY stated that he's perfectly fine with welcoming Favre back where everyone in sports knows he belongs.

If he holds no grudge against Favre, what purpose does it serve for others to hold a grudge on his behalf? That's just crazy.

No, the truth of the matter is that you don't simply want him to apologize to Ted and Aaron. You want the spectacle of forcing him to do it publicly, even though public apologies are generally very contrived. You want to see him stripped of all dignity and shamed in public, but those who are actually party to the real situation aren't those kind of people and you're just going to have to live with that.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Oh, trust me ... I could come up with a bunch more. But, I like this board and the freedom to pretty much say what we want about Favre, without getting banned for stupid, silly rules, such as, "inciting negative responses" or "trolling for negative responses", etc. I don't want to overstep the boundaries, ya know? People, including the mods, rightfully do get tired of the same, repeated rhetoric, of which I am also quite guilty of doing. But, I like it here and would like to stick around.

I just left a board I'd been on since 2001 - very, very long time. The head mod over there totally abuses his power, by banning people for breaking rules that didn't even exist. He'd decide what posts he didn't like and then rule with an iron fist, etc. Completely took the fun out of everything. While a forum does need monitoring, to prevent personal attacks, racist talk, and things of that nature, there should still be freedom to dish out our opinions, even if they aren't in line with everyone else's.

I think when it comes to the M....

er...

to Brett, :)D)

your opinions ARE in line with the majority... :)

M

mayo44

Whether they have already or not is irrelevant, I'm waiting for the public announcement so we can all know.

It's not irrelevant. Public apologies are generally contrived tripe and it's simply not Ted Thompson's style to take personal conversations and make them public. Hell, he doesn't even like to make public conversations public. So don't get too indignant when the Packers don't conform to what you arbitrarily deem necessary to mend the rift between them. This is where the irrationality comes in.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
It's not irrelevant. Public apologies are generally contrived tripe and it's simply not Ted Thompson's style to take personal conversations and make them public. Hell, he doesn't even like to make public conversations public. So don't get too indignant when the Packers don't conform to what you arbitrarily deem necessary to mend the rift between them. This is where the irrationality comes in.

For many of us, (the ones being unreasonably petty), but a public announcement of reconciliation (I didn't say public apology) would go a long way because, if Favre and Ted are appearing together, that lends support to the idea reconciliation actually took place.

Sorry but I don't really find that as being irrational.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Mayo44 seems to believe everyone is not free to hold whatever opinion they want:

That's how adults handle things.” “I see you're one of the bitter, spiteful people. But I understand Chicago does that to you.” “Are you going to remain for the rest of your life the last bitter old Packer fan residing in the pits of Chicago?” “He'll be in Canton within 3 years. It would behoove the malcontents to get over it by then.”

You go from maligning those who disagree with you to this kind of foolishness: “You can disagree all you want but my words in the above post care a lot of truth and deep down, you know it.” IMO that’s very immature – is ‘because I said so’ next?

Like many who idolized Favre, you post things you can’t know: “I guarantee you with absolute certainty that TT doesn't hold the same grudge the more resentful side of Packer Nation does.” And you ignore the plain meaning of words:
That's a far cry from a demand. In the last sentence you quoted he clearly acknowledges that he understand that the Packers moved on after he retired.
Favre states flatly he won’t be the back-up QB and when asked if he’d compete for the starting job, he answered with the one-word question, “why”? That clearly indicates that he was demanding his starting job back: that was the only way he was going to return. If that wasn’t a “demand” it was a non-negotiable condition.

As far as that poll goes, keep in mind 68% said “not yet”, “after Thompson retires” or “never”. Only 30% said “this year”. So according to the poll you linked, right now you are in the minority. Not that that matters – at least to me. BTW, I remember a poll of Packers fans after the 1989 “miracle” season asking who was the best HC in Packers’ history. Lindy Infante won.

You seem to have an odd idea of what an apology is as you use phrases like, “stripped of all dignity and shamed in public”. I don’t know what life experiences you’ve had to believe that but apologizing can be very dignified. And for those of us who would like Favre to apologize to Packers fans, the only way that can be done is in public. If at an appropriate public event Favre said, ‘I apologize to the Packers’ management, the players, and to Packers fans for my behavior in 2008...’, he would gain in stature. And BTW, you really think apologizing in public is more shameful and undignified than texting pictures of his ******** enabling those pictures to become public?

I certainly don’t expect to change anyone’s mind and the point is neither are you, mayo44 and it looks like that’s something you are going to have to accept.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mayo44 seems to believe everyone is not free to hold whatever opinion they want:

That's how adults handle things.” “I see you're one of the bitter, spiteful people. But I understand Chicago does that to you.” “Are you going to remain for the rest of your life the last bitter old Packer fan residing in the pits of Chicago?” “He'll be in Canton within 3 years. It would behoove the malcontents to get over it by then.”

You go from maligning those who disagree with you to this kind of foolishness: “You can disagree all you want but my words in the above post care a lot of truth and deep down, you know it.” IMO that’s very immature – is ‘because I said so’ next?

Like many who idolized Favre, you post things you can’t know: “I guarantee you with absolute certainty that TT doesn't hold the same grudge the more resentful side of Packer Nation does.” And you ignore the plain meaning of words:Favre states flatly he won’t be the back-up QB and when asked if he’d compete for the starting job, he answered with the one-word question, “why”? That clearly indicates that he was demanding his starting job back: that was the only way he was going to return. If that wasn’t a “demand” it was a non-negotiable condition.

As far as that poll goes, keep in mind 68% said “not yet”, “after Thompson retires” or “never”. Only 30% said “this year”. So according to the poll you linked, right now you are in the minority. Not that that matters – at least to me. BTW, I remember a poll of Packers fans after the 1989 “miracle” season asking who was the best HC in Packers’ history. Lindy Infante won.

You seem to have an odd idea of what an apology is as you use phrases like, “stripped of all dignity and shamed in public”. I don’t know what life experiences you’ve had to believe that but apologizing can be very dignified. And for those of us who would like Favre to apologize to Packers fans, the only way that can be done is in public. If at an appropriate public event Favre said, ‘I apologize to the Packers’ management, the players, and to Packers fans for my behavior in 2008...’, he would gain in stature. And BTW, you really think apologizing in public is more shameful and undignified than texting pictures of his ******** enabling those pictures to become public?

I certainly don’t expect to change anyone’s mind and the point is neither are you, mayo44 and it looks like that’s something you are going to have to accept.

Have you ever seen someone say something that goes to the heart of it all like this post and say wow? Talk about being carved up like a Thanksgiving Turkey or is it a Halloween pumpkin? Would you like some more mayo on that. :giggle: Great post Jack! :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts