Brett admits he was at fault?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Packer fans are also proud. They are proud of what a small town franchise has achieved. More World Championships than other team!!! They like to win and they worship the heroes that help them achieve this. But they don't put an individual before the franchise and they are disappointed when a player does. They aren't proud of one of their heroes seeking out their adversaries and kicking sand in their face.

Favre did that. He tried to make himself the center of the team. He tried to make himself bigger than everything.

The guy who should have reexamined his priorities was Favre. Packer fans have theirs right.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The OP excluded half the quote:

"It’s over and done with. I was at fault…I feel that both sides had a part in it. If you could go back, would I or them have done things differently? I’m sure both sides would. But you can’t."

This is not an apology, not when one catches himself and points the finger at the other guy.

Brett...you were chronically late for work and got fired. Just like anybody else would be.

Im going to call this progress!

M

mayo44

I think Packer fans are also proud. They are proud of what a small town franchise has achieved. More World Championships than other team!!! They like to win and they worship the heroes that help them achieve this. But they don't put an individual before the franchise and they are disappointed when a player does. They aren't proud of one of their heroes seeking out their adversaries and kicking sand in their face.

Favre did that. He tried to make himself the center of the team. He tried to make himself bigger than everything.

The guy who should have reexamined his priorities was Favre. Packer fans have theirs right.

I have to disagree here. Packer fans absolutely deified Favre when he was here at least up until the second or third year of his annual indecisiveness. He was routinely lauded as the greatest Packer ever by many and certainly among the top 3 or 4 among nearly ALL Packer fans. He knew he had unfailing support no matter how poorly he might have played in a given game. It made him feel bullet-proof from criticism. If Favre became some kind of monster who thought he was bigger than the organization, then we as fans are the Dr. Frankenstein who helped create that monster.

Has anyone here who hates the man ever dealt with receiving the unfaltering praise of millions of fans who thought he could do no wrong? It's easy to overestimate the loyalty of those fans when the praise received from them so often borders on worship (and don't deny that this was the case in the early to mid 2000's.) In retrospect, 8 years ago there was a lot of "Homerism" going on in Packer Land regarding the status of Brett Favre and some of us might have unwittingly been among them.

To counter your statement, 13XC, did Packer fans not make Brett the center of the team? Did we not make him bigger than everything for a very long time?

Favre's miscalculation was that all of these fans would come down on his side of the issue and a gross miscalculation it was. So make no mistake about it. Not only does Favre have a large share of the blame for what went down and not only did the Packers have a much smaller share of the blame, but we, the fan base had our own little share of the blame by contributing to his mindset. Combine that with the fact that Big Irv was largely his son's rudder, so to speak, and it's easy to see how #4 was so easily able to lose his way.

Now Favre has fallen a LONG way from the pedestal on which we as fans placed him years ago, and he has clearly been humbled by it.

I, for one, do not require those who have wronged me in some way to grovel in the dirt and utterly shame themselves to beg for my forgiveness. To me, a handshake and a simple apology about what happened is enough. I don't feel the need to tear someone down to get back on good terms. That's how adults handle things. Regardless of your stance on religion, the Golden Rule is an excellent standard to live by: Treat others how you would wish them to treat you.

In effect, Brett is now extending his hand and making that apology and I, for one, am not too prideful to extend my own hand and accept it. Anyone who is not petty and spiteful should do the same. It's clear that Aaron Rodgers wants to. It's clear that the Packers want to. It's high time for everyone who purports to support Rodgers and the Packers to follow suit and make this thing right.

One last thing to consider. What message does this send to our current superstar QB? How about the message that no matter how much you think we love you, you're one misstep away from being the most hated man in Green Bay? Bart Starr is the most revered player in Packer history, bar none, and his love for the Packers and it's fans is equally undying. It's a special relationship that still brings many fans to tears every time Bart makes an appearance on the field. I know. I've seen it at games and I've done it myself. Many of you on here also know this to be true. This may never be the case with Brett Favre, but Bart's time on this earth is growing shorter every day, and if we want a hero with whom to have such a relationship in the future, the man who will fill those shoes will be Aaron Rodgers. But without making amends with his predecessor, it simply will... not... happen.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
To be accurate, they said he'd be given a chance to earn the starting spot in TC.

VAN SUSTEREN: Is -- I know you haven't made a decision, but is going back to Green Bay an option and being the back-up quarterback, at this point?

FAVRE: Going back and being the back-up quarterback? No.

VAN SUSTEREN: What about competing for starting quarterback?

FAVRE: Why?

VAN SUSTEREN: I'm just asking. I'm just asking that...

FAVRE: That's what I would ask them, Why? Well, Brett, you retired, you know what I mean?

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,384601,00.html#ixzz2Va6vmyBk

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
but we, the fan base had our own little share of the blame by contributing to his mindset. Combine that with the fact that Big Irv was largely his son's rudder, so to speak, and it's easy to see how #4 was so easily able to lose his way.
Yeah I'm not buying it. There's plenty of athletes out there who receive "hero worship" who don't turn into spoiled children when they don't get their way. Was it the fan's fault when he sexually harassed Jen Sterger?

I, for one, am not too prideful to extend my own hand and accept it. Anyone who is not petty and spiteful should do the same.

So anyone who has any hesitation in regard to welcoming the Messiah back with open arms is just being petty and spiteful? How conveniently you sum up the feelings of an entire fanbase who might not agree with you into your own personal definition and perception of the situation.

One last thing to consider. What message does this send to our current superstar QB? How about the message that no matter how much you think we like you, you're one misstep away from being the most hated man in Green Bay?

One misstep? Boy did you get that one wrong. Here's the message Packer Nation is sending Aaron: We love ya, but please don't transition from being a humble hero to an egotistical p***k because you don't get your way, hold the team and the fans hostage until the team sends the three supplicants to beg for your return, and please don't quit b/c the current GM didn't do exactly what you wanted then try to return when you don't get the attention you feel you deserve. If you do that some people might not understand..."

In regard to Aaron, I believe he'll accept the adulation that is due him regardless of whether or not the Mississippi Queen deigns to set foot in Lambeau again.

Put simply...you're wrong.

M

mayo44

In regard to Aaron, I believe he'll accept the adulation that is due him regardless of whether or not the Mississippi Queen deigns to set foot in Lambeau again.

You just plain missed it. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking from HIS perspective.

I see you're one of the bitter, spiteful people. But I understand Chicago does that to you.

All I have to say is if Mark Murphy and Brett Favre walk onto that field and they are met with more boos than cheers, that will be the day we join the ranks of Eagles fans.

You can disagree all you want but my words in the above post care a lot of truth and deep down, you know it.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yeah, pride is great: I'm glad Packer fans are proud and I hope you can see how pride contributed to Favre's falling out with the team as well.

Everyone understands that Favre acted like a bonehead. Reciting the man's stupidity for us does little except to stir up continuing resentment and, quite frankly, this kind of simmering resentment is small and unbecoming of our fan base. Pride at its worst.

This Packer fan is over it.

Big picture: The Packers cut ties with an aging QB that wasn't ready to hang it up. Favre proceeded to act like an *** and make himself look small by undermining the organization. Meanwhile the Packers transitioned to their QB of the future and won a title. Our team has so clearly come out on top of the whole thing that it's not hard for me to take the high road as Favre begins to acknowledge some of his mistakes...

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
You just plain missed it. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking from HIS perspective.
You honestly believe that don't you. (SMH)

Rodgers KNOWS what message Packer fans are capable of, he experienced it in 2008. He's the one who LIVED through the toxicity that were the Favre sycophants, or did you forget the mullet-wearing little trolls who were sent by their cowardly parents to cuss him out, tell him they hate him, and all the other crap the Messiah's disciples put him through?

Sure he's won everyone's hearts now, but don't think he's forgotten everyone who bought the Favre Jets jerseys and rubbed their animosity in his face.

I see you're one of the bitter, spiteful people. But I understand Chicago does that to you.
Or maybe I just don't believe the man's half-hearted "apology" and think he's still nursing the grudge against Ted.

All I have to say is if Mark Murphy and Brett Favre walk onto that field and they are met with more boos than cheers, that will be the day we join the ranks of Eagles fans.
Then it's a good thing he won't be walking on the field anytime soon. It's nice you've already forgiven and forgotten and are ready to welcome him back with open arms but you don't speak for everyone, nor does everyone who doesn't agree with you fit into your preconceived definition in regard to why we're not ready...

You can disagree all you want but my words in the above post care a lot of truth and deep down, you know it.

You're right, I'm just a misguided, bitter fan who is lost in the woods and afraid to acknowledge the irrefutable truth you've spoken....

(not)

M

mayo44

Or maybe I just don't believe the man's half-hearted "apology" and think he's still nursing the grudge against Ted.

Okay, let's go from here. So are you of the mindset that if someone crosses you, they must grovel at your feet and be stripped of their dignity before you are able to muster the wherewithal to toss your hatred aside?

You go ahead and be bitter the rest of your life then because that isn't (nor should it) going to happen.

Then it's a good thing he won't be walking on the field anytime soon. It's nice you've already forgiven and forgotten and are ready to welcome him back with open arms but you don't speak for everyone, nor does everyone who doesn't agree with you fit into your preconceived definition in regard to why we're not ready...

Then feel free to elaborate. Why is 5 years of hate not enough?

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to say ... I'm really enjoying this thread. My god, this message board is so much better than one that I've been on in the past. No one has been banned and we're pretty much free to speak our minds on this Favre crap. I love it. This place rocks.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
Okay, let's go from here. So are you of the mindset that if someone crosses you, they must grovel at your feet and be stripped of their dignity before you are able to muster the wherewithal to toss your hatred aside?
Nice extremes in your hypothetical. Here's how I see the Favre situation. Let Favre, Ted, Mike & Murph sit down and hash this s**t out. Let them appear together and give all of us a "we're over it, please join us" type of message. Let us hear the sincerity that their fences are mended, that Favre isn't still seething inside at management, and maybe we can finally believe it.

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice extremes in your hypothetical. Here's how I see the Favre situation. Let Favre, Ted, Mike & Murph sit down and hash this s**t out. Let them appear together and give all of us a "we're over it, please join us" type of message. Let us hear the sincerity that their fences are mended, that Favre isn't still seething inside at management, and maybe we can finally believe it.

I agree, for the most part. I just don't know. Part of me isn't sure I'll ever see him in a positive light again. I don't hate Favre, I absolutely hate what he did in 2008. It was despicable, and that's putting it mildly. That's just the football side of it. I don't imply to be the Morals Police either, but, the fact is ... his wife has stood by him through a lot of sh*t, she's hot as hell, then she overcomes breast cancer and he's trying to pick up chics with the Jets. Sorry, but that's a dirtball, slimeball of a dude. Again - no intention to judge people or anything, but on a grand scale there, he's a *********. Perception and reality are two different things, but in this case, an observation warrants my opinion.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I agree, for the most part. I just don't know. Part of me isn't sure I'll ever see him in a positive light again. I don't hate Favre, I absolutely hate what he did in 2008. It was despicable, and that's putting it mildly. That's just the football side of it. I don't imply to be the Morals Police either, but, the fact is ... his wife has stood by him through a lot of sh*t, she's hot as hell, then she overcomes breast cancer and he's trying to pick up chics with the Jets. Sorry, but that's a dirtball, slimeball of a dude. Again - no intention to judge people or anything, but on a grand scale there, he's a *********. Perception and reality are two different things, but in this case, an observation warrants my opinion.

I can't argue much of it, but I think we can all agree that SOMEDAY things need to heal. I want to see him honored for everything from 93 to 07. The pre-****** Favre earned that.

The post-****** Favre on the other hand...

PackerFlatLander

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't argue much of it, but I think we can all agree that SOMEDAY things need to heal. I want to see him honored for everything from 93 to 07. The pre-****** Favre earned that.

The post-****** Favre on the other hand...

You mean 92 to 07. I agree. I was at the Bengals game in 92 when he relieved Majkowski. I was also there for the Giants 07 NFC title game. How ironic - I was there when it started and there when it ended. As I've mentioned earlier - I'm very thankful for all of his great moments, records, stats, putting us back on the map, etc. In due time, I'll probably come around.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only thing the Packers probably should have done a little differently is be a little more direct to Favre in their intentions. If I were Ted Thompson, as soon as Favre made it known that he wanted to come back, I would have sat him down and said exactly this:

"Brett, we greatly appreciate everything you have done for this organization over the years. For our organization, I want you to know that we have decided to go ahead with Aaron Rodgers as our starting quarterback. You have every right to seek to continue your career in the NFL. While we greatly respect your legacy, I still have a responsibility to look out for the best interests of the Packer organization, and we believe you have too much value to simply release. Therefore, we will honor your request to continue your career by seeking a trade partner that will be able to accommodate your desire to continue starting. Please understand that it is not in the best interest of our organization to explore any trade options with divisional rivals in this case. We will, however, work diligently to find you a new destination where you can continue your career. We will always welcome you back in the Packer family at the conclusion of your career, and will keep you posted on the trading process as it unfolds."

Not that the team or TT did anything wrong..they didn't. They made the right call and that's really all that matters. They just probably could have been a little more direct. If they had, there's nothing that could have been "done differently".

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
When Brett is walking on the grass at Lambeau I am pretty confident that 99% of fans will forgive him..

M

mayo44

I guess you're going to have to put every Packer who ever cheated on his wife in that same "dirtball, slimeball" category, and there's probably a hell of a lot more of those than you know, including on the current roster.

M

mayo44

What lack of sincerity are you referring to. Did you listen to the actual interview. He sounds as sincere as I've ever heard. And what happens if your criteria for what is necessary for you to "finally believe it?" What if they don't actually appear together? Are you going to remain for the rest of your life the last bitter old Packer fan residing in the pits of Chicago?

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
"Brett, we greatly appreciate everything you have done for this organization over the years. For our organization, I want you to know that we have decided to go ahead with Aaron Rodgers as our starting quarterback. You have every right to seek to continue your career in the NFL. While we greatly respect your legacy, I still have a responsibility to look out for the best interests of the Packer organization, and we believe you have too much value to simply release. Therefore, we will honor your request to continue your career by seeking a trade partner that will be able to accommodate your desire to continue starting. Please understand that it is not in the best interest of our organization to explore any trade options with divisional rivals in this case. We will, however, work diligently to find you a new destination where you can continue your career. We will always welcome you back in the Packer family at the conclusion of your career, and will keep you posted on the trading process as it unfolds."

How do you know something similar wasn't said to that?

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to say ... I'm really enjoying this thread. My god, this message board is so much better than one that I've been on in the past. No one has been banned and we're pretty much free to speak our minds on this Favre crap. I love it. This place rocks.

I told you

M

mayo44

No one has been banned and we're pretty much free to speak our minds...

Don't take that too far. I haven't posted but for about 6 months or so, but I've lurked for years and have seen several people get banned for some pretty benign things. Some were good posters too.

Status
Not open for further replies.