Barclay being resigned

D

Deleted member 6794

Taylor, barclay, walker........ Good greif, this had better not be the plan. Ugh. Season in the ballance before it starts...

Currently Taylor is most likely the backup at both guard spots with Tretter being the front runner to fill in at the other positions on the line if someone gets injured. I expect Thompson to draft at least one offensive lineman who will compete with Barclay, Walker and Rotheram for one or two roster spots. Taking a look at the depth chart the Packers most likely are in need of a decent tackle capable of protecting Rodgers in case of Bakhtiari or Bulaga not being able to play. If TT is able to address this need in the draft I´m fine with the depth on the OL.

Baring a trade or injury, we have our starting 5 assured. Trettor is presumably the 6th as he is capable at both center and tackle. Barclay and Walker would presumably hold down guard. 8 linemen on the 53 is typical for our team. Sometimes 9.

Lane Taylor is a lock to make the team. Aside of Tretter I believe a rookie tackle as well as Matt Rotheram will make the final roster if the Packers decide to keep nine offensive linemen again.

Bahks best thing is that " he did pretty good, for a rookie". Well after 3 years, im not seeing a corner stone. I see a liability that needs help against most rushers.

Once again, Bakhtiari is an above average pass blocker but struggles in the run game. Most of the time the Packers don´t provide their tackles with any help against pass rushers and Bakhtiari is more than capable of blocking most of them one-on-one.

Guys, this is just another perfect example of TT sticking with his guys...so what if they suck . Idk why people act so shocked when he brings back a guy he drafted even when they clearly don't deserve to be retained. He does this EVERY single year.

I assume that Barclay didn´t get a significant signing bonus meaning the Packers can release him at any time before the season without any negative repercussions on the salary cap. There´s nothing wrong with giving Barclay a chance to compete for a roster spot.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The obvious question with the signing of Barclay is what does it take for a guy to play his way off the team? If his excuse last year was that he still hadn't recovered sufficiently after his acl to pass block then why in the world was he on the active roster and stuck in the lineup "protecting" the franchise.
? He was either terrible or hurt. In either case it's inexcusable to stick him in the lineup when anybody else could have done better. Even shifting Sutton to tackle was better than the 9 sacks in 5 games that the turn stile gave up.

D

Deleted member 6794

The obvious question with the signing of Barclay is what does it take for a guy to play his way off the team?

Barclay will have to beat out several players to make the roster this season, so Thompson re-signing him doesn´t guarantee he will make the final 53. I agree that not having a decent backup tackle on the roster last season was a mistake though.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Barclay to me is not ANYTHING you want starting...but I do think he's better than we saw last year (which was TERRIBLE!)...worst case he is depth, and hopefully never needs to play LT...best case he is depth that only sees spotty play here or there.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone really questions this. The point of this thread is "good grief, is our depth THAT bad?".

No. Some fans out there very much expect every position to be stockpiled with pro bowlers and pro bowler backups. They live in Madden worlds.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
After last year I was hoping to never see Don Barclay in a Packer uniform again, he was terrible in 2015. Then this news came out and I was like WTF? But as I thought more about it, the more it made sense. Prior to his injury, Barclay wasn't all that bad. Before the 2014 season McCarthy stated Barclay was good enough to be a starter, played that role quite a bit in 2013 and the fact that he could play all 5 OL positions, even better. Then he tears his ACL and a year later comes back a completely different player. McCarthy, Campen and the medical team must have concluded that there was more to him then the guy that we all saw play last year.

I haven't seen contract information yet, but I can't imagine its for much. So there really should be little or no down side to this signing and plenty of upside if a 28 year old Barclay, who knows the Packer playbook, can get back to his pre-injury form in the depth that he could potentially provide at all 5 OL positions.

D

Deleted member 6794

Barclay to me is not ANYTHING you want starting...but I do think he's better than we saw last year (which was TERRIBLE!)...worst case he is depth, and hopefully never needs to play LT...best case he is depth that only sees spotty play here or there.

In my opinion the best case scenario is that Thompson finds a decent backup tackle in the draft who is an upgrade over Barclay and he doesn´t even make the team.

After last year I was hoping to never see Don Barclay in a Packer uniform again, he was terrible in 2015. Then this news came out and I was like WTF? But as I thought more about it, the more it made sense. Prior to his injury, Barclay wasn't all that bad. Before the 2014 season McCarthy stated Barclay was good enough to be a starter, played that role quite a bit in 2013 and the fact that he could play all 5 OL positions, even better. Then he tears his ACL and a year later comes back a completely different player. McCarthy, Campen and the medical team must have concluded that there was more to him then the guy that we all saw play last year

There´s no guarantee that Barclay will make the final roster. What the Packers re-signing him really means is that he will be able to compete for a spot on it. I expect the contract to result in minimal, if any, dead money if the team releases him before the start of the season.

H

HardRightEdge

No. Some fans out there very much expect every position to be stockpiled with pro bowlers and pro bowler backups. They live in Madden worlds.
There's a vast middle ground between less than serviceable and Pro Bowl-quality. I think it's a reasonable expectation that backups can perform somewhere in that middle ground.

The issue is particularly acute this season with 4 of the top 6 O-Linemen in their contract years. Bakhtiari will likely command a $7 - $8 mil per year contract befitting an average NFL LT; Sitton and Lang will command something less, but not a lot less...probably $4 - $6 mil per year for 4 years. Tretter has a lot more value to other teams as a starting center than on the Packer's bench, and he's not the future at OT, being borderline serviceable, if that, at that position. I suppose if he adds some more bulk he could be the LG, but that hasn't happened so far so I would not expect it.

I expect Tretter to be gone, and one other, possibly two, out of the Bakhtiari-Sitton-Lang group.

It would make sense to upgrade the O-Line in this draft so that guy (or guys) have a season to get the feet wet, learn the zone scheme, or even learn a position change, from OT to OG in particular. That year also serves to judge if the guy is a successor or a mistake.

You do not want to enter the 2017 season with 2 fresh draftees in the top 6, possibly 2 starters, inserted into the line.

H

HardRightEdge

Heh, this is true.

My comment is more along the lines of "nothing's free." We could spend a pick or two or four on some left tackle prospects, but at what cost?
At the cost of one or two draft picks in the 2nd. to 5th. round, if that helps.

H

HardRightEdge

Just playing foil to those who think we need to spend a 1 to upgrade Bhak and ignore a more premium position, such as pass rusher.
That's a small minority opinion. I would expect those contemplating a 1st. round OT pick are also contemplating Bakhtiri's departure in FA after this season. Otherwise it would not make sense.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lane Taylor is a lock to make the team. Aside of Tretter I believe a rookie tackle as well as Matt Rotheram will make the final roster if the Packers decide to keep nine offensive linemen again.

I always forget about Taylor. So we have 5 obvious starters and 2 more-or-less locks in Tretter and Taylor. (7)

A likely rookie in rounds 2-4 (8)

Walker, Barclay, and Roth. would presumably fight for the 9th and likely final spot.

I'd be quite okay with that grouping.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's a small minority opinion. I would expect those contemplating a 1st. round OT pick are also contemplating Bakhtiri's departure in FA after this season. Otherwise it would not make sense.

That line of reasoning makes some sense, I can't see it happening. He'll be fairly expensive, but he's the kind of player that we've historically kept.

Looking OTC, looks like Bhak will cost between 7 and 10 million per year. That would put him at the 9-15th highest paid, which sounds about right. Of course there are a couple other skilled LTs in the last or second to last year of their contract. They could get extended and drive the market up higher.

D

Deleted member 6794

That line of reasoning makes some sense, I can't see it happening. He'll be fairly expensive, but he's the kind of player that we've historically kept.

Looking OTC, looks like Bhak will cost between 7 and 10 million per year. That would put him at the 9-15th highest paid, which sounds about right. Of course there are a couple other skilled LTs in the last or second to last year of their contract. They could get extended and drive the market up higher.

I agree that Bakhtiari is the kind of player the Packers have signed to a lucrative second contract in the past. In my opinion it would be smart to re-sign Bakhtiari before the start of the 2016 season, keeping his average salary somewhere in check.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Walker, Barclay, and Roth. would presumably fight for the 9th and likely final spot.
I fully expect Rotheram to take the next step and become a solid backup on the OL this season. I view Barclay as the insurance policy against that, or a hedge against a Jordy Nelson type season-ending injury during camp on the OL.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No doubt it will be interesting to see what the starting O-line will look like in 2017. Barring a major injury, the 2016 O-line is pretty much set. With that said, TT, Campen and MM have the next 10 months to really plan (if they haven't already) just how that 2017 line will look. Lots of question marks on contracts, progression of the non-starters and of course, rookies. The Taylor resign might have given us a slight view into what the Packers are thinking, either Sitton or Lang won't be back. Beyond that, who will still be a Packer OL a year from now, will depend a lot on injuries, level of play and of course, the almighty cap and contract negotiations.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How is the season in the balance? Those guys aren't starters, they are backups and special teamers.

You can't have elite backups at every single position you know.

Stop overreacting.
There's a vast middle ground between less than serviceable and Pro Bowl-quality. I think it's a reasonable expectation that backups can perform somewhere in that middle ground.

The issue is particularly acute this season with 4 of the top 6 O-Linemen in their contract years. Bakhtiari will likely command a $7 - $8 mil per year contract befitting an average NFL LT; Sitton and Lang will command something less, but not a lot less...probably $4 - $6 mil per year for 4 years. Tretter has a lot more value to other teams as a starting center than on the Packer's bench, and he's not the future at OT, being borderline serviceable, if that, at that position. I suppose if he adds some more bulk he could be the LG, but that hasn't happened so far so I would not expect it.

I expect Tretter to be gone, and one other, possibly two, out of the Bakhtiari-Sitton-Lang group.

It would make sense to upgrade the O-Line in this draft so that guy (or guys) have a season to get the feet wet, learn the zone scheme, or even learn a position change, from OT to OG in particular. That year also serves to judge if the guy is a successor or a mistake.

You do not want to enter the 2017 season with 2 fresh draftees in the top 6, possibly 2 starters, inserted into the line.
Oh man. If bahk gets 7 or 8 mil a year, im going to mutiny!!! What do we plan to pay him in 5 years when he actually developes into a stud lt, at the packers expense?????
5 TOPS!!! Then big pay day after he actually plays great...
His pass blocking isnt that dang good!

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh man. If bahk gets 7 or 8 mil a year, im going to mutiny!!! What do we plan to pay him in 5 years when he actually developes into a stud lt, at the packers expense?????

The problem with that is it ignores market rate for left tackles. His salary could easily balloon to 10MM a year. That's probably the upper bound, but that's what

Sure it is.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whichever backup OT makes the 53 needs to be capable of playing LT as well as RT, and if he's a 22 year old that TT finds next week so be it. I'm very, very happy that there's no chance of the original "human turnstile", Marshall Newhouse finding the roster... thanks Giants.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm very, very happy that there's no chance of the original "human turnstile", Marshall Newhouse finding the roster... thanks Giants.

Giants are paying Newhouse $1,950,000 this year, if he makes the team. Talking about over paying people.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Well I can honestly say MarshallNewhouse was thee absolute worse linemen I've ever seen at the pro level....until I saw Barclay.

Barclay post injury (2015), I would agree he was worse then Newhouse. We can only hope he has healed further and knows and plays like this might be his last shot in the NFL.

Last edited:

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im thinking we have looked for a lt since clifton retired. We have to brace for a turnover at guard..... No way is ted going to start over looking for a lt at the same time.

Plus the market value of a lt, as radke said...

He will probabally get the money. For the wrong reasons tho.

In a few years it will be worth it i guess...

H

HardRightEdge

That's what average NFL LTs get paid. It's also a reason why I expect the Packers to draft an LT prospect who can take his spot, or could move to OG if Bakhtiari can be signed and one (both?) of the OGs cannot. Expect Bakhtiari to test free agency.